Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From being really cool to being a pompous pain in the ass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

McGregor recently

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Stephen Fry.

I used to enjoy a good laugh watching QI... but then he wouldn't shut up during the show or outside of it. Can't stand the man now.

He was never cool to begin with, I just want to point of what a massive príck he is.

Agreed. Sandy Toksvig is going the same way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Colm Meaney

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Johnny Depp used to be cool but now he just comes across as very weird and odd. It is like some of the characters he has played have rubbed off on him. And don't get me started on that pretentious Sauvage ad, what a twat !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

73Cat wrote: »
    Johnny Depp used to be cool but now he just comes across as very weird and odd. It is like some of the characters he has played have rubbed off on him. And don't get me started on that pretentious Sauvage ad, what a twat !

Basically any actor/ celebrity that turns up in an add for aftershave or coffee are pretty much sacrificing all coolness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Basically any actor/ celebrity that turns up in an add for aftershave or coffee are pretty much sacrificing all coolness.

Except one of the Gold Blend couple who got cool* afterwards.

* was in Buffy. Near enough. Ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Can't understand the Billy Connolly one.
    Saw him interviewed recently and I still love the guy. Coping really well with Parkinson's too.
    He didn't give a **** for convention when he was younger. He's a lot older and still doesn't.
    Legend.

Gay Byrne would be my choice.
    Great interviewer in his heyday, but really stopped trying in his last few years as a broadcaster. Self important snob by the end.

On Billy Connolly - here's 3 off the top of my head:
    1. speaks with so much gravity as if everything coming out of his mouth should be carved in stone by someone.
    2. he was funny 30 years ago. Somewhere along the way he got mixed up between comedy and pontificating.
    3. what absolutely finished any bit of respect I might have had for him was when I heard about the way he verbally abused a female photographer from the stage in Killarney a few years ago. she was doing her job - with all permissions etc and I understand that he really gave her an awful time. No comedy or humour - just horrible behaviour. It takes a grade A t**t to be so disrespectful of another person as they go about their job.

Regarding Gay Byrne - can't argue with you there except that I think that he was a self-important snob long, long before the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭O'Neill

Johnny Lydon/Mark E Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I have two,

Paul McCartney

Jose Mourinho

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

On Billy Connolly - here's 3 off the top of my head.

BC started to lose his grip and influence when he started mocking Ken Bigley during the negotiations for Bigley's release. He lost respect from a lot of people that day and I reckon it coincided with a steady decline in his popularity.

I reckon the retirement of his biggest champion in Michael Parkinson about a decade ago also had an impact on his appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Morrissey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

optogirl wrote: »
    Morrissey

IMHO he can't be mentioned enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Dara O Briain 100%, his jokes are all about how important he is nowadays .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Who the heck is Morrissey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Stephen Fry.

Meryl Streep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Billy Connolly.

I was a big fan of him for years so I was delighted when I got to see him live. It took him about ten minutes to shatter any respect I had for the man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

LMAO Richard Dawkins, how can a posh English atheist ever be considered 'cool'? Priding oneself on being atheist is like the definition of uncool in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would have agreed on Billy Connolly, but there was a documentary on him last week and it's very apparent that the Parkinson's had begun to kick in during the early 2000s. He was only officially diagnosed about five years ago, but Parkinson's can run at a low level for years before it's properly picked up. Back then he was starting to slow down, the same sharpness wasn't coming out in his wit and he seemed exhausted at the prospect of constantly being the clown.

My Dad has always asserted that his second wife "ruined him by fixing him", but it's pretty clear that the main reason he wasn't quite as prolific with his comedy after the late 90s is because he poured more of his energy into other pursuits; acting and doing travel shows. When someone bases their entire persona on being a foul-mouthed clown, then it's only inevitable that he'll comes across as a being a fake, pompous twat when he tries to talk seriously.

I'd love to him see him now actually, with the knowledge of his illness and the journeys he has been on. I expect the whole act will be a good deal darker and more self-deprecating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

optogirl wrote: »
    Morrissey

Ooohhh you did NOT go there....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Liam Gallagher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Who has, in your view, gone from being a once cool, funny, sound or whatever person to being a tiresome, opinionated unfunny gimp.

Two that spring to mind with me are Christy Moore .................

I'll probably regret asking, but what did christy do/say?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Meryl Streep.

J.K. Rowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

ectoraige wrote: »
    I was a big fan of him for years so I was delighted when I got to see him live. It took him about ten minutes to shatter any respect I had for the man.

What did Billy Connolly do, wasn't aware he changed into a pain

EDIT: just read all the comments about BC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Insert <person> here

Isn't it the same with anyone really, once you see someone too much eventually you'll get sick of them.

You either end up in the "famous person who disappeared into obscurity" thread or "famous person I see too much of and now who's a pain in the arse" thread...

Beside Conor McGregor, I think we can agree that he's a gobsh1te after his latest burps.

Also Johnny Depp, worst midlife crisis you could see in Media for a while. He went from THE star to creepy weird middle aged guy who doesn't feel himself anymore. So cringe-worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Blind boy Boatclub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

Can't understand the Billy Connolly one.
    Saw him interviewed recently and I still love the guy. Coping really well with Parkinson's too.
    He didn't give a **** for convention when he was younger. He's a lot older and still doesn't.
    Legend.

Gay Byrne would be my choice.
    Great interviewer in his heyday, but really stopped trying in his last few years as a broadcaster. Self important snob by the end.
    He was the working class hero, openly mocking and deriding the Scottish Middle class, (Alistair and cameron types)
    He morphed into Scotland's very own Jeremy Clarkson, and the working class hero then became the poster boy for a high interest credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Odhinn wrote: »
    I'll probably regret asking, but what did christy do/say?

He hasn't done or said anything repulsive like Billy Connelly to my knowledge but Christy Moore used to be a great balladeer and put on a great show. Music, craic etc. Nowadays he sees himself more as a national treasure.

Yeah I don't think the other punk bands of the era held Bob and the Boomtown Rats in too high esteem.

Wasn't he seen as a bit of a poser?

He was. But then again he went on the late late and slagged off the church in the age when you did that at your peril.

He hasn't done or said anything repulsive like Billy Connelly to my knowledge but Christy Moore used to be a great balladeer and put on a great show. Music, craic etc. Nowadays he sees himself more as a national treasure.

I heard he was a miserable git on stage, but a lot are, plus I'd no idea whether or not that was a recent thing.

• Advertisement

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Geldof was never cool in the '70s, trust me. He was always a pain in the Arse.

yeah he was never cool. exhibit A.

Advertisement