Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From being really cool to being a pompous pain in the ass

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Odhinn

O'Neill wrote: »
    Johnny Lydon/Mark E Smith

He was a complete header from day 1 tbh.

I think Bono did the whole Achtubg baby/ Zoo TV thing very well

After that though, Jesus h Christ

he is a bit rock and roll here - way back in '92. crawled up his own arse soon after never to be seen again.

https://youtu.be/Ry42AY3efqw?t=213

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Tommy Tiernan? Unfunny, a bit preachy

Stephen Fry most definitely.

Basically I suppose there are very few light entertainers I want lecturing me on the bigger issues.

most of the ones who stayed cool died young tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Graham Linehan.

Sad but true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Odhinn wrote: »
    He was. But then again he went on the late late and slagged off the church in the age when you did that at your peril.

He did Odhinn but it that was during the edgy phase of his life. He has long since morphed into a self obsessed, publicity seeking bore.

I think that he really showed himself up over his freedom of Dublin buffoonery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Odhinn

He did Odhinn but it that was during the edgy phase of his life. He has long since morphed into a self obsessed, publicity seeking bore.

I think that he really showed himself up over his freedom of Dublin buffoonery.

It was when he said he admired Thatcher that I relabelled him as "Grade A Wanker". His book didn't help. I read it twice, the second time to make sure that he really was the tosser he came across as and it wasn't me just taking the wrong tone off it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

Thread should read 'Bellends who when I initially discovered them thought were relevant, edgy, interesting, 'cool' but later discovered were self-important twats'

Still lmao'ing at whatever sad act would ever find Richard Dawkins in anyway cool.

He's actually anything but, he's an intelligent and articulate individual..
    I think what most people hold against him is the shagging of his brother Rhodri's missus...not the best move ever...

Ryan Giggs?

Seriously? Ryan Giggs?

The brother thing couldn't bother me less, it was the inability to form sentences. I specifically referred to the 90s, when the sex stuff was unknown and we could judge him on his demerits as an interviewee.

Still, if you think he was intelligent and articulate, good for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Ryan Giggs?

Seriously? Ryan Giggs?

The brother thing couldn't bother me less, it was the inability to form sentences. I specifically referred to the 90s, when the sex stuff was unknown and we could judge him on his demerits as an interviewee.

Still, if you think he was intelligent and articulate, good for you...

It's well known that he was painfully shy and was over protected shall we say at Utd, not really left do media interviews etc, Ferguson protecting him and all that...but yeah whatever you say....he did a half hour interview yesterday on sky ...came across very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Francis Brennan.....mildly funny when he first hit the screens in At Your Service. Now? Hes bloody everywhere, Late Late Show, Ray D'Arcy, radio, newspapers, selling books and kitchenware. You are not funny anymore Francis. You have had your moment, time to move on.

Josh Homme

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Fintan O'Toole. The question being was he ever cool. (He was in Hot Press once)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Eamonn Dunphy? (Sorry Eamonn)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Eamonn Dunphy? (Sorry Eamonn)

I'd be surprised if Eamonn Dunphy's first words as a baby didn't annoy the ****e out of his mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Francis Brennan.....mildly funny when he first hit the screens in At Your Service. Now? Hes bloody everywhere, Late Late Show, Ray D'Arcy, radio, newspapers, selling books and kitchenware. You are not funny anymore Francis. You have had your moment, time to move on.

There is no planet that exists in the universe on which Francis Brennan could be considered cool. He might have many qualities but cool was never one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I'd be surprised if Eamonn Dunphy's first words as a baby didn't annoy the ****e out of his mother.

Wes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Liam Gallagher

I dunno here. Musically not what he was compared to his Oasis peak, but I enjoy him in interviews and his twitter is good fun. In an era of such bland entertainers devoid of anything interesting to say, it's reassuring that you have someone like Liam who clearly doesn't give a **** anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Paul Kimmage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

valoren wrote: »
    Paul Kimmage

Though he was never cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Roy Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

On Billy Connolly - here's 3 off the top of my head: 1. speaks with so much gravity as if everything coming out of his mouth should be carved in stone by someone. 2. he was funny 30 years ago. Somewhere along the way he got mixed up between comedy and pontificating. 3. what absolutely finished any bit of respect I might have had for him was when I heard about the way he verbally abused a female photographer from the stage in Killarney a few years ago. she was doing her job - with all permissions etc and I understand that he really gave her an awful time. No comedy or humour - just horrible behaviour. It takes a grade A t**t to be so disrespectful of another person as they go about their job.

He did suffer all kinds of abuse, including sexual, during his childhood so perhaps the nastier elements of his persona stem from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

Russell Howard, completely ignores his fans once he got his own show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Though he was never cool!

When he wrote his autobiography...made waves and was well respected then

valoren wrote: »
    Paul Kimmage

Professional angry man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Arlene Foster

Advertisement