Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 how was it for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Overall, I’m somewhat satisfied with how 2017 played out.

I completed the academic year with respectable grades and developed a closer relationship with my family which is hugely important for me. I started learning to drive and saved over 70% of my money from my summer job which aided my move from Ireland to Germany in the last quarter of 2017. Since moving, I’ve been trying to push myself out of comfort zone - asking girls out, public speaking, educating myself about topics that I’m ignorant of.

I’ve had a fair few failures aswell. Fitness needs to improve, as does my ability to deal with people. My diet is also an area I must work on. No one close to me died and I’m still healthy so I can’t complain that much.

In 2018 I'm going to keep striving to improve myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

My nephew was born and my brother got married so good all round on the family front. Myself and himself agreed on our elopement plan so sort of technically got engaged. Had the holiday of a lifetime in Canada in October. Got closer to a very good friend. Mid-December I got a promotion which will FINALLY allow us to apply for a mortgage so here's to 2018. Which I am seeing in dying from a bug thanks to minding aforementioned nephew while his parents were sick :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Not one of my better years thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Quite mixed...

My uncle passed away quite suddenly and other family members have been unwell.

On the plus side I got married in July :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Very forgettable, little to nothing notable happened.

But hey, it was miles better than the dreadful experience that was 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Got married, got pregnant (in no particular order!)...moved house. Work was hectic during all this but got a nice payrise and bonus as a result.

No major dramas but a few things with people opened my eyes a bit more, I guess that's natural as you get older. Plus being drink-free for the first time in a long time had changed my perceptions a bit.

Great year for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Overall, I found it to be better than 2016. Okay, but nothing amazing for me.

Quite a year for games, and a more well-rounded one than 2016 in that regard.

And the Junior Cert results, which despite all the anger over my English results, were good in every other aspect, being either a B or a C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Gave up the fags on the 9th of February. Still chuffed at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Still lonely

Gave up the fags on the 9th of February. Still chuffed at that.

I'm glad you are.

sryanbruen and I absolutely despise them. They confer no benefit to the health of organisms, and only serve as a waste of our lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I would say it was a crap year - five year plus relationship went belly up. Turned everything upside-down for a long while.

Here's to 2018 I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Arghus wrote: »
    I would say it was a crap year - five year plus relationship went belly up. Turned everything upside-down for a long while.

Here's to 2018 I guess.
    What doesnt break us makes stronger. Good luck for 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Not a good year.

I learned that
    spoiler.

Maybe next year will be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

First 8 months of the year where tough, stuck in a rut going absolutely nowhere! But since September I've being trending up big time, hopefully it continues into 2018

2017 was so last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

This last year has been the worst in a series of terrible years for my confidence, self esteem, and career, and economical strains.

This last year nothing has been the latest in a series of years when I've realised how much I have to be grateful for despite the above.

2018 is the year I'll finish my part time degree course which has been a monkey on my back for four years. I hope it's also the year I can get myself back on my feet finally and regain my independence.

Happy new year one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

First half was ok, even good with some lovely trips away with good friends. Myself and my boyfriend went back to study a couple of years ago so neither of is exactly where we want to be yet but getting there. Last 2 months have been terrible with a notification of a huge rent increase for the new year, my boyfriend losing a close family member and one of his parents developing a serious health issue within the last week. Hoping 2018 brings us something to be happy about but I feel as though we're heading for a stressful time.

First half was ok, even good with some lovely trips away with good friends. Myself and my boyfriend went back to study a couple of years ago so neither of is exactly where we want to be yet but getting there. Last 2 months have been terrible with a notification of a huge rent increase for the new year, my boyfriend losing a close family member and one of his parents developing a serious health issue within the last week. Hoping 2018 brings us something to be happy about but I feel as though we're heading for a stressful time.

That reminds me. My sister had a gall bladder operation last month. Then came the flu season, which luckily did not affect me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Well it’s over now!
    Here’s to 2018!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

2017 was stressful with several major life changes and upheavals necessary to long term happiness, but it all worked out well in the end and the only sour note of the year is spending the last few weeks ill and not getting to enjoy Christmas with the family I don't get to see much of. I'm really grateful this year went so well, I didn't realize I was starting to struggle a little until suddenly I realized I wasn't anymore.

All in all I'm more settled, happier, and more contented than I've been in my adult life to date, and that's as good as anyone can hope for.

I hope everyones new year is an improvement on last, especially those posters dealing with losses and trials that the best of us find hard to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

So many good things happened.

I got stuck into my new career I had worked hard to qualify for and I love it. I met a man and fell in love after many many many dating disappointments. It seems I have put my health worries behind me for now and after two years refusing surgeon's recommendation for a hysterectomy I find myself unexpectedly but very happily pregnant.

If I sound smug I am not. After a number of years of things not going my way I havelised that life is a series of highs and lows and you have to appreciate the good times when you have them.

For everyone who had a bad year I hope 2018 is the one that delivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

2017 was shyte terrible year for me. Very strange actually Heres to 2018!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Katgurl wrote: »
    So many good things happened.

I got stuck into my new career I had worked hard to qualify for and I love it. I met a man and fell in love after many many many dating disappointments. It seems I have put my health worries behind me for now and after two years refusing surgeon's recommendation for a hysterectomy I find myself unexpectedly but very happily pregnant.

If I sound smug I am not. After a number of years of things not going my way I havelised that life is a series of highs and lows and you have to appreciate the good times when you have them.

For everyone who had a bad year I hope 2018 is the one that delivers.

Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

thomil wrote: »
    The first half wasn’t actually all that bad. I had some success at work, and a project that I had hoped to get underway finally seemed ready to go. Then, in June, everything took a nosedive.

My mother was hospitalised due to complications with her cancer treatment. A week later, she was transferred to ICU, and a day after that, she was placed in an induced coma. The same evening, my dad told me that I should „start looking for flights“ to Germany. I don’t think I need to explain the implication of that phrase. Well, the next day, Saturday, my dad was hospitalised as well, and ended up in the quarantine ward with a Norovirus infection. I managed to get a flight out on Tuesday, and my mom passed away on Wednesday morning. I‘d tried to get to see her immediately after landing, but wasn’t allowed into her room.

A month later, shortly after I‘d visited my dad for my birthday, he was hospitalised again with stroke-like symptoms. Turns out it wasn’t a stroke, but three meningal tumours that has started to block off circulation to parts of his brain. He got them removed, and recovered fast enough to pick me up at Frankfurt Airport when I flew over for my mother’s funeral three weeks after his surgery. When I came back from the funeral, I found that my rent had been terminated and I needed to find a new place.

Well, back in early November, I flew back to Germany for my dad‘s birthday. He’d recovered extremely well and was planning to drive to Cork over Christmas and New Years. The birthday went really well, my dad was relaxed, happy, optimistic, all the things he hadn’t been since my mom passed away. Then, three days after I‘d flown back to Ireland, my dad didn’t answer my daily phone call, and also didn’t react to emails or texts. I asked the neighbors to check on him, and they found him sitting in his favourite chair, almost like he was asleep. He‘d passed away only hours earlier.

So, now I’m the last remaining member of my family, I‘ve got m dad‘s funeral coming up in early January, I‘m still in the middle of moving from one apartment to another, my performance at work has plummeted since my mother’s death to the point where I have to fear for my job, and the funeral costs will likely eat up what little financial reserves I have left. Oh, and to top it off, I‘ve since found out that my parents had amassed a significant amount of debt, mostly springing from issues with their private health insurance.

I‘ll be extremely glad to finally see the end of 2017, and I hope that no one ever has to go through the same kind of nightmare.

I think this one tops the 'sh!t year' list. Hope everything works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Tremendous year. I bought a lovely house with my wife after years of saving and house hunting etc, went on an amazing holiday to the U.S. with the whole family, and to top it off in December I landed a really good new job that I’ll be starting in February. All in all the best year in recent memory, and I am thanking my lucky stars at the minute.

Hope 2018 brings good things to you all

It was fine. Nothing of any great importance happened but for that I am grateful. It felt like I was fighting fire for a long time so a quiet life is what I need. For the year ahead I hope it continues in the same vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

was a horrible year. took time off work as conditions were so bad It really affected my mental health and My mind started going to that dark place where many young men in Ireland never come back from.

Took steps to get out of that dark place but its a difficult work in progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

was a horrible year. took time off work as conditions were so bad It really affected my mental health and My mind started going to that dark place where many young men in Ireland never come back from.

Took steps to get out of that dark place but its a difficult work in progress.

I am in this situation myself, and strongly considering packing in work for a month or two to 'recover'. I'm just worried about paying the loans, etc. if I do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Very mixed year - on the plus side my parent came through an illness and is doing well now, I married the love of my life and saw some beautiful countries.

On the bad side lost two relatives within 2 months of each other which has been very hard for all family members involved.

Bring on my alcohol-free, nicotine-free 2018, truly looking forward to actually feeling healthy again!

Advertisement