Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 how was it for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

It's been wonderful!

Started a new job in January and my colleagues have genuinely become lifelong friends, there's no such thing as Sunday night fear anymore because work is just spending time with my pals now.

Met my OH in February and he's the most wonderful person in the world :)

My parents, siblings and nephews are all well

I took up a cool new hobby

2018 should see me travel outside of Europe for the first time ever, and hopefully will make some progress career wise by doing a few professional exams. I'm looking forward to it :) this time last year my self esteem was in the toilet, it's not perfect now but a lot better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It was a good year insofar as the things that stand out were positive.

Took the plunge and did a powerlifting competition in January that involved standing on a platform in a spandex singlet trying to lift some metal. So far out of my comfort zone so was delighted I did it.

Got my dream job in April. Has made such a positive difference even outside of the job itself.

Aside from that, it was business as usual. I still have the same people I love who actually love me...who have stuck by me and I'll always be thankful for that.

I hope 2018 is a great one for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Started a new job this year and actually have a girlfriend, so an excellent year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

First time in many years I can say I'm truly content with life. Only a wee stumble health wise but I'm back on my feet and fitter than I've ever been. I enjoy my job and things with my OH are ticking along nicely.

Here's to 2018 - I wish all the fine folk here on Boards a healthy and happy year. Yiz all keep me sane in your own witty and fúcked up ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Mixed... more good than bad but it was hard to see that during the bad times! Had a good bit of money stress during the year which has resolved for the most part now and toddler has spent two separate one week stints in hospital and had a surgical procedure separately - all of which really sucks to see your two year old go through but so many people in much worse predicaments. The good things were mostly her becoming the biggest chatterbox and having hilarious conversations with her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

2017 was a good year for me , very grateful

I progressed in my job and my salary increased to a level I'm happy with

I did a lot of travelling Europe on weekend breaks

Lost some weight

And I got the laser eye surgery a and I'm delighted with that

Haven great Christmas all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Horrible year... Was stuck with a horrible job.. lost contact with so many people... worst of all I lost my dad in September :(

2018 is looking much much better though, moving to London for a new job..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Didn’t die of cancer yet so that’s good, I suppose, like being in a holding pattern before waiting to descend.

Will I see 2019? Who knows? But have various hols planned so yay! Expecting to see some support group peers pass away this year. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Had a good year for once.

Progressed in work

began a new relationship in March after many years of being single, (going very well)

got away a lot this year so its been a good year to look back on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

After an absolutely ****house 2016 I was prepared for more of the same this year, and so it went for the first 8 months or so - living with my ex in a toxic environment, stressful job, no confidence and very little hope.

I go my head together in August and finally started talking to people and changing my outlook. Inherited a bit of money and finally got it together enough to move on and out. 2018 is looking a lot brighter with a new place to live and breathe and an absolutely amazing woman I met when totally not expecting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Had one of the best years I've had in a long time.

First half of the year I was broke but working an internship in a branding agency. Got the required experience and then a job to do with my degree. Feels great to finally be making some significant (to me anyway) money and be able to look at stuff like holidays, concerts, meals etc. and say yes I can afford that or simply just buying something that I want.

Thought that was it for the year but then met a girl off a dating app and for months was talking to her. Genuinely thought I was being catfished for a bit as she was too good to be true we got on so well. Met up with her, wasn't a hairy dude living with his parents catfishing me. Hit it off so well and things have been going great since.

Confidence is sky high and all areas of my life are looking good. Not getting ahead of myself as I know how quickly these things can change so just appreciating everything at/in the moment.

It's funny 2016 was a really bad year for me. No idea if I wanted to do something after college with my degree. Made redundant in what was a low paying part time job in an offy. Spent months with no work or anything sitting around growing depressed about everything. Without sounding preachy I said to myself I'm going to put in just a little bit of effort and see what comes of it this time last year. And the result is a great 2017.

Hope y'all had a good year and if not a better year next year then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

This time last year I had just got out of a toxic relationship and had started to see someone I fell head over heels for. Turns out they were actually worse and luckily I managed to get out relatively quickly. 2017 was solid if unspectacular, I've probably made at least a dozen or so new friends, though I had to say goodbye to a few who moved away. I've been training kickboxing fairly regularly for the year, though I've slacked off entirely for the past month or so. We're moving to a new gym so I expect to be right back at it very soon. I've had plenty of time to spend with family and friends this year and went to two great weddings. I didn't get travelling anywhere so that has to be high on my list of priorities for 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Mostly bad.
    Year started off with healing the loss of our son (unborn) which was a **** few months for us. Strain on the marriage.
    Things then got better but then we lost 1 income and my income just isn't enough to get us by.
    Before the summer our savings took a plunge and are almost all depleted now.
    After the summer the remaining disposable income after paying the monthly bills got lower and lower.
    As I write this now I wonder about cashing in my private pension just to keep us going a bit longer and worst comes to worst then one of the cars will have to go.
    But as a positive we are all healthy and in may we are expecting our newest little daughter.
    I have a potential job prospect with a prestigious bank but I have my doubts I'll make it to the 3rd and final interview.
    So mostly 2017 can **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It was great. I got a new job and then a promotion and got head hunted for another job so I'm in the fortunate position of having to decide which one to take.

I saw my eldest finally get her autism diagnosis recognised by her college which made like easier for her and took a weight off my mind.

She moved abroad which has been a huge adjustment but a good one, my marriage has massively improved now we don't have two twenty somethings mooching around the house.

I've badly neglected my social life this year so I have put steps in place to address that in the new year, I've gained a stone so that needs to go, also have feck all money because I'm paying for the child living abroad but I'm very privileged. It's been a long time since I was in a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

2017 was the first year that I live without a mortgage and any other debts.
    I'm still not used to it, I still feel I can't afford anything expensive, still drive my old banger and felt guilty that I had to spend money on a new dryer because the old one just died.

But slowly it dawns on me that I finally don't have any money worries anymore, I even have savings!
    Plus I've got a lot of interesting and challenging assignments this year - and praise from my publisher for one special job extremely well done which lifted my spirits no end.

The downside of all those years working away to pay off the bloody mortgage is that my social life suffered a bit. I'm going to change that next year.
    I have to force myself that I don't need to take on every assignment, I can actually say NO and spend time on fun things.

The sad thing this year is that my beloved doggie is very ill and old and needs care and daily injections (she's fine though, as long as she has all that; she is not suffering). So I can't and won't go away on holidays. I will do that when she is gone.

So 2017 is a year of promise for better things to come. I just have to get out of the old rut.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mixed year. Started out not great, middle was okish but seems to be ending on a good note.

Roll on 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Myself, my sister and my Mum & Dad all had health scares over the year but we've all arrived at the end of the year all ok now in good health so that has to be an overall positive outcome for the year!

Aside from that 2017 was a year of stagnation for me. Despite achieving bucketloads this year in my job I've not got a tap of recognition from my employer which has been demoralising feeling I've hit the dead end.

Saving for a mortgage has been very rough this year seeing price inflation outpace the huge amounts of saving, I'm nearly there anyway but cannot do another year of that or I will lose my sanity.

Socially regressed alot think it's to do with hitting early 30's, less nights out, less contact with people. Also not as much interest from women in the past 12 months after a good run for about 5 years don't know what's going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Pretty good! Got hit with a wallop of PND but if I can take a positive from it, it made me realise that I'm not superhuman, my husband is a shiny star, my friends are the best and it's ok not to be able to do everything. Aside from that I'm completely and utterly hashtag blessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

it was a goo year
    I broke up with my beloved then found new love, for now everything is stabilized

Best year in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Mine was okay.

Good:

- Went on 2 lovely holidays. To Indonesia with my boyfriend and Italy with my
    Mother. Both were great times!

- Did pretty well at work and got a nice pay-rise.

- Lost a little bit of weight.

Bad:

- My Grandmother was very ill this year and driving my Mother to the hospital
    at 6am when we thought they were calling us because she had died was
    pretty awful. Luckily she's a trooper and recovered but has since had to move
    into my Mother's house. We don't want her living on her own in a 2 story
    house anymore. But then again she is 94..

- Got some really awful news about a lovely colleague of mine recently. But
    made me realise how lucky I have it and that I should count my blessings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

CORK CITY FC - DOUBLE WINNERS 2017

'Twas a great year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Tbh there wasn't really much to it for me. Not a bad year, good in many mild ways but not significant in any way and very forgetable.

The kind of year where you say at the end 'well the country continued to do fairly well, which is important considering'

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

this year has went by so quick, but with not much to show for it.
    wasn't a bad year but I don't know where the time has went..

a few weeks ago I had a little bad patch, and it made me rethink a few things. after I got over that, I made a kind of bucket list of things I want to do.
    felt great that I had new plans.

as usual though, some of them won't happen now because of trying to work round my job and having a child.
    although i'm still feeling positive about them happening at some stage.
    I genuinely think 2018 is going to be much better though:P

if its not, then i'll just avoid next years thread:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Overall good year. Have had some ups and downs but starting positive and ending positive.
    This time last year I had just gotten a job offer to start in early Jan but that didnt work out for various reasons I wont go into. 6 weeks after I left I started in my current role so still settling in there. Have also been having some health issues over the past few years since 2014 but things have been quite stable this year in that regard apart from having a few more tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

thanks for that guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Decent. Spent the first 6 months living like a hermit saving. Had a ball for the last 6 months travelling through SE Asia.

Looking forward to 2018, in Asia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It was pretty much the same as last year, nothing amazing or terrible about it. It was mostly good with no major problems so I can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭thomil

The first half wasn’t actually all that bad. I had some success at work, and a project that I had hoped to get underway finally seemed ready to go. Then, in June, everything took a nosedive.

My mother was hospitalised due to complications with her cancer treatment. A week later, she was transferred to ICU, and a day after that, she was placed in an induced coma. The same evening, my dad told me that I should „start looking for flights“ to Germany. I don’t think I need to explain the implication of that phrase. Well, the next day, Saturday, my dad was hospitalised as well, and ended up in the quarantine ward with a Norovirus infection. I managed to get a flight out on Tuesday, and my mom passed away on Wednesday morning. I‘d tried to get to see her immediately after landing, but wasn’t allowed into her room.

A month later, shortly after I‘d visited my dad for my birthday, he was hospitalised again with stroke-like symptoms. Turns out it wasn’t a stroke, but three meningal tumours that has started to block off circulation to parts of his brain. He got them removed, and recovered fast enough to pick me up at Frankfurt Airport when I flew over for my mother’s funeral three weeks after his surgery. When I came back from the funeral, I found that my rent had been terminated and I needed to find a new place.

Well, back in early November, I flew back to Germany for my dad‘s birthday. He’d recovered extremely well and was planning to drive to Cork over Christmas and New Years. The birthday went really well, my dad was relaxed, happy, optimistic, all the things he hadn’t been since my mom passed away. Then, three days after I‘d flown back to Ireland, my dad didn’t answer my daily phone call, and also didn’t react to emails or texts. I asked the neighbors to check on him, and they found him sitting in his favourite chair, almost like he was asleep. He‘d passed away only hours earlier.

So, now I’m the last remaining member of my family, I‘ve got m dad‘s funeral coming up in early January, I‘m still in the middle of moving from one apartment to another, my performance at work has plummeted since my mother’s death to the point where I have to fear for my job, and the funeral costs will likely eat up what little financial reserves I have left. Oh, and to top it off, I‘ve since found out that my parents had amassed a significant amount of debt, mostly springing from issues with their private health insurance.

I‘ll be extremely glad to finally see the end of 2017, and I hope that no one ever has to go through the same kind of nightmare.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Advertisement