Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 how was it for you?

Options
  • 19-12-2017 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

So 2017, how was it?

2017 started on a sad note with my Nan’s funeral. I finished off in Tullamore and set off on the train to the Dublin in March for my new job. It’s going well, with only a few wobbles.

Family life is great getting on well with so many of my family and love treating my nieces and nephews

This year I tried to help out as many as I could in any way I could and I think I always tried to help others as best I could, financially, emotionally or otherwise.

My mental heath improved immeasurably as the year progressed allowing me to tackle my physical health issues and improve my diet.

I didn’t find love but embraced the love I have.

I have readjusted my life expectations and feel all the better for it.

2018 will largely be a continuation of the good foundations laid in 2017 with my physical wellbeing being more prominent. I’ll continue to try to help others whenever and however I can.

Thanks for everything 2017. Come on 2018 - let’s do this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Absolutely awful, nothing went right, made no progress on things I wanted to make progress on, basically in the same spot now I was this time last year. Hope 2018 isn't as awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Absolutely awful, nothing went right, made no progress on things I wanted to make progress on, basically in the same spot now I was this time last year. Hope 2018 isn't as awful.

I really hope 2018 improves for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭gifted

I've had better years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Difficult at times but all in all its been great. Work is going pretty well and I got to spend lots of time with people I love. A few nice weekends away added to it!

If 2018 goes as well I'll be happy but it's up to me to make it happen :)

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Difficult at times but all in all its been great. Work is going pretty well and I got to spend lots of time with people I love. A few nice weekends away added to it!

If 2018 goes as well I'll be happy but it's up to me to make it happen :)

The good bits seem great! Well done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All in all a good year. Lost some old, and not so old, friends but I have been well, as have all the family. No huge highs but that's how we like it - a quite life.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Began working toward my degree in DIT after moving from Waterford to live with my gf. It's been an exciting and scary year but I'm hoping hard work will pay off and allow me to permanently lay roots in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I had a lovely year. I cried a lot, I laughed a lot. But I still have all the same people I love around me that I had this time last year, so that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Too bloody quick, first of all ...getting old(er) and all that and time really has started flying lately.

No big tragedies, but lost a few beloved pets to old age which put a bit of a downer on things.

Over all and generally speaking this year, more than any before, has left me with the impression that the world as we know it is not headed in a good direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Keisha07

Not too bad at all, been an improvement on previous years. Started a bit wobbly with a demanding narcissistic relationship with a relation reaching breaking point but my mental health has improved in bounds since. Am happier than I've been in a while those I love are thriving and happy. Reunited with faces from the past, spending more time with friends and still discovering new hobbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Wife diagnosed with cancer, ill health myself and went home on Tuesday to find my brother in hospital with a heart attack (at 36).

Fcuking great year.

That said wife had 'the good type of cancer', I'm recovering and the brother is doing well so maybe I should try and look on the positive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Unreal so far. My 2018 will be trying to give a bit back to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This sounds like a weird answer but I was actually expecting 2017 to be a horrible year. I have a parent who is quite sick but not life threatening...yet. Plus my job was under threat at the start of the year, cuts everywhere so I was fully expecting a crap year. But as it happened, its been a good year, I got to see Bali during the summer and my dad even improved a bit. Having said that I know of friends and cousins who have had a HORRIBLE 2017 between cancer diagnoses, job losses, and evictions etc.

This sounds irrational, but now I fully expect 2018 to be a "bad" year for me, I have a deep belief that some years are not meant to be good for you at all, that you need to learn a lesson of some kind. I know that some people laugh at that and say that every year has some good and some bad but I feel next year will be my worst year for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Things going quite well since about August. Knock on wood 2018 stays on the right course.Looking forward to my 10 day offs over xmas. Put in a lot of days this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

It was forgettable. Little high, little low. A year closer to finishing in college which is great. Must make 2018 the year that things start happening though, lots done and more to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Good actually

I was made redundant in november 2016 which ended up being a blessing in disguise. made about 40k from that. Was back in work by february doing a contract job which paid 3k a week was in there for about 6 months. Decided to take the summer off so nice long 3 month vacation.

Interviewed for very high position in new company, got the job and now have a jobs that's less stressful and 3 times my last salary.

Met an amazing girl and we ended up moving in together and so far it's going really good.

It's funny in October 2016 I was so bored and depressed and my whole life changed for the better. So yeah 2017 was a great year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

In a nutshell:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

kjl wrote: »
    Good actually

I was made redundant in november 2016 which ended up being a blessing in disguise. made about 40k from that. Was back in work by february doing a contract job which paid 3k a week was in there for about 6 months. Decided to take the summer off so nice long 3 month vacation.

Interviewed for very high position in new company, got the job and now have a jobs that's less stressful and 3 times my last salary.

Met an amazing girl and we ended up moving in together and so far it's going really good.

It's funny in October 2016 I was so bored and depressed and my whole life changed for the better. So yeah 2017 was a great year.

few other things too actually. I went on a diet and lost 2 stone and have kept it off. I now eat very healthy 6 days out of 7 and I gave up smoking weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Barlett

A brilliant year, had a few tricky ones recently and then met the love of my life in January. Might seem a bit early to be saying it, but jesus when you know you actually really do know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

A bit wobbly at the start, in regards jobs, relationship

Then it picked up as the year went on, finished my first PLC course , passed it, got into an institute unexpectedly and studying what I wanted to do all along.

A good year in terms of family and friends all good terms. Want 2018 to be full of travel and exploring :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Been a tough year. I gave up a good job to become my mothers carer in late 2016. She has dementia as well as having breast cancer at the start of the year, having the breast removed and going through a course of radiotherapy. Lots of back and forth to hospitals in Dublin, plenty of sleepless nights until we finally got her medication to a point were she seems to be in a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

markc1184 wrote: »
    Been a tough year. I gave up a good job to become my mothers carer in late 2016. She has dementia as well as having breast cancer at the start of the year, having the breast removed and going through a course of radiotherapy. Lots of back and forth to hospitals in Dublin, plenty of sleepless nights until we finally got her medication to a point were she seems to be in a good place.

Fair play to you. I hope you both have a healthy and happy 2018 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It was great, thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Wife diagnosed with cancer, ill health myself and went home on Tuesday to find my brother in hospital with a heart attack (at 36).

Fcuking great year.

That said wife had 'the good type of cancer', I'm recovering and the brother is doing well so maybe I should try and look on the positive side.

Sorry to hear all of that, nightmare. Some people just get it worse than others. But glad to hear things are improving.

2017 has been much the same as every other year for me since 2011; sh1t. Takes me longer every day to get out of bed in the morning.

My one hope for 2018 is simple enough; that I find the will to live my life again.

Great tks for sharing guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

2015 and 2016 were particularly difficult years but thankfully 2017 has been a lot better. Which is odd in a way because my physical health declined this year and I had to give up work. My mental health has improved so much though and I feel like it's the best it's ever been, my relationship also had a rocky couple of years, including a 5 month separation in 2016 but 2017 has us stronger than ever so I think that's been a great source of happiness. My partner, family and friends are mostly healthy and happy so I can't complain. 2018 involves me moving to a different country so I really don't know what that will bring. Watch this space :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Thought id a " meh, not a whole lot happened" sort of year, everyone got a year older, no-one got sick or died.

Reading some of these posts thougb makes me realise my year was pretty damn good, and appreciate it a bit more. Health is everything.

Fair play to ye for keeping going with your respective struggles and challenges, i hope theres a corner to turn at soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A good year, did some stuff I always wanted to do. Visited Rome, saw the sights and the Pope. Was on top of two volcanoes - Vesuvius and Yellowstone, saw old faithful geyser erupt a couple of times.
    Visited six national parks in the US and saw the solar eclipse.
    Made new friends.
    I won’t complain, it was a good year with s lot of good memories that I will have for the rest of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

One of my hardest years so far. No doubt about it. I was incredibly sick and as people like me tend to do, I didn't let on to anyone just how sick I was it was a struggle at times and I did wonder if I'd make it to the end of the year at all. But here I am :) I'm on the mend now and looking far more forward to the next year than I had been even a few months ago.

On the other hand, I had some great laughs. Some lovely breaks away. Made some fantastic memories. Also fitted in a job promotion in amongst it all so it could have been a lot worse :)

I'm not normally so glad to see the back of a year, but I won't be sorry to wave goodbye to 2017.

I'm feeling very positive about 2018 though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

2017 - A twelve month nose dive with a great big crash at the end.

2018 - A year of picking through the rubble.

Advertisement