Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail staff unhappy with their Christmas Bonus

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lucid365 wrote: »
    From what I heard they got the 500 euro voucher as a goodwill jesture by the company as they have not received a pay rise in over 10 years,so now they got their pay rise of 2.5% per year for 3 years,and a 500 euro voucher as a goodwill jesture to say sorry for the company treating them like s-it for 10 years,the voucher is not a Christmas bonus as such,as Irish rail don't give a yearly Christmas bonus,I think it's only people giving out here who don't get anything so they are feeling jealous,I get double pay up at the airport for Christmas it's great 😙

Paying someone 50 odd grand a year to drive a train isn't treating them like ****.

It's not a difficult job either.my mate loves it and jokes about it being handy all the time. Can be working unsocialble hours yes, but there's people on around minimum wage doing that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lucid365

If they were to privatise the company you would see price hikes for tickets of 30 percent like the uk as private company is their to make money,anyway the staff already their would have to have a big increase to accept privatisation as it takes 1 year to train up a driver so who will drive the trains if they force in privatisation without paying everyone off to accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

More boring neoliberal talk I see, moving on........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

lucid365 wrote: »
    Just like what infini said,the Irish rail staff where promised 1 for all vouchers which can be spent with a lot of venders,the company changed it to dunnes in order to get a bigger discount,but breaking their promise to the staff,the staff don't have a problem with the amount but have a problem with the company changing the vender,<snip>

Mod note: We'll have less of the abuse, please.

Buford T. Justice

Admittedly I missed the above part, but my sentiments remain the same - more or less.

So they were promised 500 euro in one for all vouchers, but this was changed to Dunnes vouchers?

Half a loaf is better than no bread.

The Dunnes near where I live sell everything from food and alcohol to electrical goods and clothing.

Any of the Irish rail staff that don't want the vouchers, I will gladly relieve them of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I heard the guy from the Union on with Matt Cooper discussing this. A scarecrow having a **** wouldn't clutch at as many straws. He couldn't give one instance where a staff member of Irish Rail stated they were unhappy. Half arsed excuses such as "some don't live near Dunnes", it's Ireland,not The Gobi desert. There's a Dunnes within 10 or 15 minutes drive for most people.
    I got Dunnes vouchers from my employer and they'll be put to good use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so they were told their good will gesture [bribe not to strike] was going to be one kind of voucher and they were given another , big deal , get over it. If they feel they were being lied to or being patronised THEY COULD LEAVE IR and go somewhere else as that seems to be the standard solution trotted out here by supporters of IR . Oh wait , they won't do that cos they know how cushy they have it and they , through the union can hold the country to ransom any time they feel like it

it is not a bribe not to strike. irish rail don't give a no strike boness as far as i know. the staff are entitled to complain about whatever they like, get over it, big deal. there is no such thing as holding the country to ransom, just the employer.
    I guarantee it will be a more reliable and productive service once its privatised.

it won't be no . privatization won't make any difference to it apart from sending tickets skyrocketing to near uk levels. privatization of rail services does not work as we can see from the uk.
    mfceiling wrote: »
    Welcome to the private sector.

where in some companies one does get a christmas boness. you see, this idea that the private sector is some entity where no good wages or no perks, good terms and conditions exist anywhere in it, is nonsense. they may not exist in a lot of companies but they do in others. so statements like "welcome to the private sector" mean jot really, given that there are hundreds of thousands of companies working within it, some of who will pay good wages, have lots of perks, and good terms and conditions for their workers.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lucid365

My wife got 1000 euro dunnes stores vouchers as she works in dunnes and I got 500 dunnes vouchers that should be free food for 6 weeks there abouts yayyyyyyyyy,ride the gravy train come and join us lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Speedwell wrote: »
    You know, I've long been aware that fomenting resentment between people who get a little and people who get nothing at all is a tactic used by those who have everything to distract attention from themselves. Don't worry about people who expected more than the little they got. Worry instead about those who withhold what is deserved from both them and you.

The "look over there at them" tactic has long been used by the establishment in Ireland to distract people as they go about ripping us all off. Unfortunately Irish people are thick enough to fall for it also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

it won't be no . privatization won't make any difference to it apart from sending tickets skyrocketing to near uk levels. privatization of rail services does not work as we can see from the uk.

This may be for another thread, but the UK is not the only country that privatised their rail services. And in many countries, it's working rather well, take Japan or Germany for example. The reason it's not working in the UK is not that they privatised it, but HOW they privatised it.

Shenshen wrote: »
    The reason it's not working in the UK is not that they privatised it, but HOW they privatised it.

i'm afraid that isn't true. it really is down to the fact they privatized it that it isn't working. i have been following the uk railway for years so have some insite into it. but i agree it's a topic for the commuting and transport forum really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They actually might strike over this.
    A row over a tax-free €500 voucher for staff at Irish Rail, which formed part of a settlement to a dispute at the company before Christmas, could lead to further industrial trouble on the railways in the weeks ahead.

The National Bus and Rail Union (NBRU) said staff at the State-owned rail operator were unhappy that the voucher could only be used at one retailer and also that they had to sign up to an Irish Rail email account to access it.

Imagine that, having to sign up for your work email address to access the voucher, the horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The NBRU would whinge over a dog farting. Waste of o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

If they actually decide to strike over this it will be taking the proverbial to a whole new level...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

if there is a strike and it's a big if, it won't be because of the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The NBRU will be striking over having to go to work in the rain soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Pretty sure there's nothing in their contract saying that they *have to* take said voucher, so they're not obliged to sign up for the email account, and they can choose not to spend the 500 euro in any shop they feel like.

Q.E.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RasTa wrote: »
    It's like working in a tin mine in Angola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Have worked with train drivers in a previous job. A greater bunch of self entitled cnuts you won't meet outside of the Dail. Fun fact: most of them are asleep during the main stages of journeys. Anyone jumping in front a train is 1) too late for a driver to do anything about 2) they're probably asleep or reading 3) it's analysed at a back office. They're more than happy for the time off though.

500 quid? Good for them, makes me realise I never take a train.

Advertisement