Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail staff unhappy with their Christmas Bonus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

mark_jmc wrote: »
    the union really needs to close its nonsense spouting mouth.

the union really doesn't need to close it's non-nonsense spouting mouths. it is representing the wishes of the staff, as per it's obligations, and per what is paid to do.
    the agreement included €500 worth of goodwill vouchers- it was not specified that One4all vouchers would be given.

that's not what i read. i read it was a One4all.
    At a time when the idea of a bonus is alien to a large amount of workers,
    they really need to move their snouts slightly away from the trough to allow themselves to breathe a little more easily.

they don't have snouts in the troff, so can breathe perfectly fine. other workers not getting a boness, is unfortunate but not relevant to irish rail staff, who also aren't getting a boness. the voucher is part of the labour agreement, so is not a boness.
    clairek6 wrote: »
    Working Christmas Day and no Christmas bonus. So much hate for this crowd

there are genuine reasons to hate people. for murdering, raping, robbing, asalting, etc.
    but because they complain over a voucher? nope. if you don't get whatever that's your problem. it's unfortunate but not a valid reason to hate others.
    Patww79 wrote: »

no, 500 quid as a good will from the company, as part of a labour agreement. their eyes are dry (all though dry eyes can be a problem) . and they are not "cúnts"

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Working Christmas Day and no Christmas bonus. So much hate for this crowd

That is nothing to do with Irish rail. That was your choice of where you work.

If they feel they were misled they are perfectly entitled to complain. If you feel you are due a bonus for Christmas Day you should complain to your employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

dirtyden wrote: »
    That is nothing to do with Irish rail. That was your choice of where you work.

If they feel they were misled they are perfectly entitled to complain. If you feel you are due a bonus for Christmas Day you should complain to your employer.

Not exactly, don’t know if any nurse getting a Christmas bonus. I’m sure the hse would take that complaint very seriously.

• Advertisement

Not exactly, don’t know if any nurse getting a Christmas bonus. I’m sure the hse would take that complaint very seriously.

Ah so you are suggesting the overtime you are getting is not a bonus?

I work public holidays for no extra pay, as a salaried private sector worker it’s part of my terms and conditions, I certainly don’t hate Irish rail workers for it. That would just be silly. I chose my job, you chose yours and they chose theirs and each one of us is entitled to ask for what we believe we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I work public holidays for no extra pay, as a salaried private sector worker it’s part of my terms and conditions, I certainly don’t hate Irish rail workers for it. That would just be silly. I chose my job, you chose yours and they chose theirs and each one of us is entitled to ask for what we believe we deserve.

I agree with the crux of your point but I don't consider contracted overtime to be a bonus, but as I say, I think you're right otherwise.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Look look at what the other little guys are earning. Don’t look up!

I knew of a guy who made more in a Christmas bonus than most of you will earn in a lifetime. And his company made a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Do you get time in lieu?

I agree with the crux of your point but I don't consider contracted overtime to be a bonus, but as I say, I think you're right otherwise.

Fair point, I would probably agree with that too. What I probably mean is that there is an extra benefit to working albeit a very unsocial shift. My phrasing was poor.

• Advertisement

Do you get time in lieu?

It’s not contracted for us to get time in lieu but in general we are looked after. I am in a grand place to work and would have no major complaints with my employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

I don’t get any overtime I get time in lieu as per the working time act. Working 13hr days Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is certainly not my choice but unfortunately a bad decision when applying for my cao has left me in this position until I can afford to change my career

I will say though clairek if nurses were to demand extra pay I would be fully behind it as I believe it should be better paid, but that is another issue and not related to Irish rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Could be worse...they could have got a one year membership to the Jelly of the Month Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I don’t get any overtime I get time in lieu as per the working time act. Working 13hr days Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is certainly not my choice but unfortunately a bad decision when applying for my cao has left me in this position until I can afford to change my career

You should try and get a HSE job, they pay double time on Christmas Day. I'm working Christmas day too, miserable, but it is goes with the territory, and you have to put on a cheerful front for the poor feckers stuck in healthcare over the festivities. Early Merry Christmas anyway!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

I'm in the civil service. I get no bonus and have to pay for the Christmas lunch!

Im self employed and i have to do the same . The only bonus i will get is if there is a fine day next week i 'll get to go to work for the day

Plenty of people on here defending irish rail workers and suggesting that if others are not happy with the treatment they are getting in their place of work they should move on .I don't see them telling irish rail workers that they should move on if not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lucid365

I'm in the civil service. I get no bonus and have to pay for the Christmas lunch!

Im self employed and i have to do the same . The only bonus i will get is if there is a fine day next week i 'll get to go to work for the day

Plenty of people on here defending irish rail workers and suggesting that if others are not happy with the treatment they are getting in their place of work they should move on .I don't see them telling irish rail workers that they should move on if not happy

Irish rail workers don't have to move on because they have a union to broker a deal and get a pay rise,even though it took them 10 years,the ceo of Irish rail instead of offering a goodwill gesture of the 1 for all voucher promised ,tried to add some poison and make it a bad will gesture,surely he would of known the staff would of been pissed off about it,what a spoilsport,you would think it's coming out of his pocket,which it is not,and he's on 250k a year,paid more than the taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

And that's your choice.

Why so much hate some workers get a bonus whether its a Christmas one or a one off which is what this thread is about.

If one feels so against it or don't get one themselves apply for a job.

If you are self employed yes you will work hard and mad hours but then you are your own boss and can mostly be flexible if needs be.

As I mentioned before big paid company owners and staff high up in many places get paid a fortune and get many bonuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

I'm paid more than the Taoiseach!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The reward I get for doing good work is..... more work.

Hey, you finished that work early, excellent. Here's more work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

myshirt wrote: »
    The reward I get for doing good work is..... more work.

Hey, you finished that work early, excellent. Here's more work.

Slow down so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Good old Irish begrudgery is alive and well.

And that's your choice.

Why so much hate some workers get a bonus whether its a Christmas one or a one off which is what this thread is about.

If you are self employed yes you will work hard and mad hours but then you are your own boss and can mostly be flexible if needs be.

As I mentioned before big paid company owners and staff high up in many places get paid a fortune and get many bonuses.
    same as its their choice to work for IR
    I don't hate that they get a bonus . I hate the fact they are complaining about it . Yes it my choice to be self employed and yes i do work hard . Its their choice to work for irish rail if they are so unhappy with their bonus why don't they find employment somewhere else where they feel they might do better .

And that's your choice.

same as its their choice to work for IR
    I don't hate that they get a bonus . I hate the fact they are complaining about it . Yes it my choice to be self employed and yes i do work hard . Its their choice to work for irish rail if they are so unhappy with their bonus why don't they find employment somewhere else where they feel they might do better .

There unhappy because they were told they were getting a particular voucher and given a restricted voucher,so they were lied too,it's the lie that they are not happy about,simple stuff here to understand,and it was supposed to be in goodwill,so how could it be goodwill if they lied to the staff,sound's patronising to me

lucid365 wrote: »
    There unhappy because they were told they were getting a particular voucher and given a restricted voucher,so they were lied too,it's the lie that they are not happy about,simple stuff here to understand,and it was supposed to be in goodwill,so how could it be goodwill if they lied to the staff,sound's patronising to me
    so they were told their good will gesture [bribe not to strike] was going to be one kind of voucher and they were given another , big deal , get over it. If they feel they were being lied to or being patronised THEY COULD LEAVE IR and go somewhere else as that seems to be the standard solution trotted out here by supporters of IR . Oh wait , they won't do that cos they know how cushy they have it and they , through the union can hold the country to ransom any time they feel like it

so they were told their good will gesture [bribe not to strike] was going to be one kind of voucher and they were given another , big deal , get over it. If they feel they were being lied to or being
    patronised THEY COULD LEAVE IR and go somewhere else as that seems to be the standard solution trotted out here by supporters of IR . Oh wait , they won't do that cos they know how cushy they have it and they , through the union can hold the country to ransom any time they feel like it

According to the labour court the goodwill gesture was given as their was no pay rise for over 10 years,not a bribe,500 euro wouldn't stop anyone from striking in any company,if country wasn't held to ransom they would get walked over at every opportunity,company has more surplus now than it did during celtic tiger times its just the government reduced its subsidising the last couple of years with plans to privitise,wait until you see the price of the tickets to travel if it gets privitised,if u think it's expensive now you have another thing coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

According to the labour court the goodwill gesture was given as their was no pay rise for over 10 years,not a bribe,500 euro wouldn't stop anyone from striking in any company,if country wasn't held to ransom they would get walked over at every opportunity,company has more surplus now than it did during celtic tiger times its just the government reduced its subsidising the last couple of years with plans to privitise,wait until you see the price of the tickets to travel if it gets privitised,if u think it's expensive now you have another thing coming

I guarantee it will be a more reliable and productive service once its privatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

titan18 wrote: »
    A voucher for Dunnes is a bit meh alright. Nice value on it alright, but I know a lot of workplaces (mine included) give prepaid debit cards so can use them wherever, including online shopping
    A lot of places give nothing.
    I would say a lot could be against Dunne's for their work practices and poor dealing of staff etc.

Nice thing to have for doing the Christmas shop but I do find Dunne's has gotten very expensive.

You'd have two choices then
    1. Cut up the voucher.
    2. Give it to a member of Dunnes staff to compensate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

You know, I've long been aware that fomenting resentment between people who get a little and people who get nothing at all is a tactic used by those who have everything to distract attention from themselves. Don't worry about people who expected more than the little they got. Worry instead about those who withhold what is deserved from both them and you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Welcome to the private sector.

Advertisement