Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the word "******" be censored in Fairytale of New York

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

No, there's much worse in lots of American pop and rap. I find that stuff repugnant so I don't listen to it.
    I've friends in a punk band and ''windowlicker'' is a song title of theirs. Revolting, but again I don't listen to it.

With FINY it's convincing and sounds like insults the might've thrown around as part of the tiff they're having in the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Wouldn't be the first time that Shane was censored to be fair, a number of the Pogues early material had to have 'radio friendly' versions recorded as well. Of course he had to change the name of both his bands as they were both deemed offensive and the wonderful ''Streets of Sorrow/Birmingham six '' song was outright banned by the BBC.

It's one of the enduring attractions to McGowan and his incredible body of work, calls a spade a spade and tells it like 'real' people do, but at the same time with his own unique and incredible genius thrown into the mix. Shane's music will long out live all this PC crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

I’m gay and I belt out that part like a pre-Madonna.

Maybe I’m homophobic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Omackeral wrote: »
    Saw this ongoing on another thread and was wondering if people are as bothered by it as one poster in particular was.

Is it political correctness? Is it right to beep it out or change it? Should I even have censored the thread title?

only a cheap lousy ****** would consider such a move

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I’m gay and I belt out that part like a pre-Madonna.

Maybe I’m homophobic

A Pre-madonna??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

A Pre-madonna??

Marilyn Monroe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Ok, I take back what I said earlier about never censoring anything... Mods, I insist that you ban this person.

:D
    OK Sorry..it's great really ;)
    Don't wanna be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

All about the context, the word has multiple meanings in the English language. She's not referring to him as gay in the song. She's calling him an idiot.

The word wasn't used as a homophobic slur over here. That came out of the USA and has unfortunately spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

****** or maggot or arse?
    Anyone who takes offense at these things should be mocked and scorned and pointed at and ridiculed until cured of their unbearable pretension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

It's not officially Christmas until you hear that song played.

I've thus far escaped without hearing it. I like the song though. And should it be censored? Should it fúck
    latest?cb=20100117181201

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Mutant z wrote: »
    When will the world stop pandering to the permanently offended pc brigade, they will be calling for all rap music to be banned by this rate, its only a song get over it and get a life ffs, there's far more important things to be worrying about.
    I’m reading about universities in the US and now in the UK where a lot of English literature lectures in particular Shakespeare have to come with a “trigger warning” by email, making it clear that some chapters may be distressing for some students.
    I actually find this scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

splinter65 wrote: »
    When will the world stop pandering to the permanently offended pc brigade, they will be calling for all rap music to be banned by this rate, its only a song get over it and get a life ffs, there's far more important things to be worrying about.
    I’m reading about universities in the US and now in the UK where a lot of English literature lectures in particular Shakespeare have to come with a “trigger warning” by email, making it clear that some chapters may be distressing for some students.
    I actually find this scary.

I seem to recall reading a Theology course was made to have trigger warnings on a text saying "Contains graphic descriptions of crucifixion"

If you didn't know that before I'd say you're on the wrong Course!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

No

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

These type people are obsessed with identity politics. They tend to subscribe to a hierarchy of victimhood. So Rap in general would be safe as it's predominately African Americans.

White people involved in similiar musical genres would be held to a different standard, Robin Thicke for eg.

This is known as the Bigotry of Low Expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Post-Madonna aka Lady Gaga has some decent tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

In fairness given that it's his ex-missus saying it in the song, it's pretty clearly not intended as a homophobic slur.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Billy86 wrote: »
    In fairness given that it's his ex-missus saying it in the song, it's pretty clearly not intended as a homophobic slur.

Maybe that's why she's an ex!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The whole fcuking song should be censored because it's literal horse shlt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

flutered wrote: »
    do we want to go back to the time the last verse of seven drunken nights by the dubliners was unsafe for the public's ears, nanny state by a proverbial mile

That was actually the BBC that banned the Dubliners single, made it more famous because of that, the same with the Sex Pistols stuff. RTE probably followed suit after the BBC or did they ban the single from airplay too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

thankfully havent heard it so far this year, its played out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

No idea why you'd feel a want/need to have it censored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No, it'd ruin that song it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

What a coincidence. Had to explain the meaning of the word to my young fella who was singing it last night. I had downloaded Christmas songs for him and put it on his Nintendo previously without thinking.

Earlier in the year I got into trouble for doing the same (without thinking) with Marilyn Mansons song "beautiful people", has mother****er in it. Needless to say he was delighted.

Getting too pc if you want the word removed op imo. History can be soon forgotten if it's written out of history. ;) and then you're doomed to repeat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

All about the context, the word has multiple meanings in the English language. She's not referring to him as gay in the song. She's calling him an idiot.

The word wasn't used as a homophobic slur over here. That came out of the USA and has unfortunately spread.

Yep its context, its tone, its - even the N word has its place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The people who want it removed should be censored.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

RayM wrote: »
    If it doesn't have to rhyme perfectly, then "blaggard" fits nicely, without ruining the meaning of the song. Rerecording it might be a problem though, what with Kirsty MacColl being dead since 2000, and Shane MacGowan's voice being nearly dead since the 1990s.
    Brings this to mind -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Brings this to mind -

"Forget you, clown"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Absolutely not! Should we cross out the word n*gger in Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fagg0t’s a bit stronger than nagger.

Advertisement