Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the word "******" be censored in Fairytale of New York

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Rory28 wrote: »
    #blacksnowmatters

#donteatyellowsnow

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think they are referring to Fagg0t

I was. I typed it out in full in the title and didn't realise it would be censored. Guess that's interesting itself somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

When will the world stop pandering to the permanently offended pc brigade, they will be calling for all rap music to be banned by this rate, its only a song get over it and get a life ffs, there's far more important things to be worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Omackeral wrote: »
    Saw this ongoing on another thread and was wondering if people are as bothered by it as one poster in particular was.

Is it political correctness? Is it right to beep it out or change it? Should I even have censored the thread title?
    do we want to go back to the time the last verse of seven drunken nights by the dubliners was unsafe for the public's ears, nanny state by a proverbial mile

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

me_irl wrote: »
    Bundle of sticks?
    Naa, cheap cuts of meat.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer that no songs should be censored.
    Play them in full or not at all.

I'm with you on this, I listen to all sorts and the odd time someone would say - should you be playing that around kids (some rapper or other usually - being played, not doing the commenting:))

Of course I should, it might be crude but that doesn't mean it's not smart. Only an idiot would dismiss a good argument because it's said in a crude manner, or with a common accent.

Of course if your asked should you be playing ronan keating (around kids or otherwise), the answer is of course no, you should then apologise profusely whilst having yourself flogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The song was written in a different time.

Just like early Warner Bros. cartoons that depict racism, history should never be re-written to fit into the current (however correct) way of thinking.

The point is that he is playing a character and imagining a role of a couple whose fortunes have been tied to addiction, it's not Shane speaking it's a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

BBC tried it in 2007 and everyone went mental, and BBC quickly backtracked.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/bbc-backs-down-on-plan-to-censor-fairytale-of-new-york-765902.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

As far as I'm concerned, nothing should ever be censored. So no.

From Kirsty's own mother:
    Jean MacColl, whose daughter was killed in a speedboat accident in Mexico seven years ago, told BBC Radio 5 Live's Breakfast: "These are a couple of characters, not in the first flush of youth, I would have thought, and this is the way they spoke. They are what they are. These are characters and they speak like that."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It wouldn't bother me if it was. It's not for me to say that nobody should be offended by it. Anyway, songs are bleeped or changed on the radio all the time and nobody bats an eyelid. Seems weird that people get their knickers in a knot about that particular word being censored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Once this has been resolved we can start on getting the N word out of Dylan's "The Hurricane"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it should be left. i don't believe in the censoring of lyrics. songs were written with the lyrics they were written with and should be played as such. if people are offended by the lyrics, that's fine, that's their opinion, but the songs should be left as is

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The point is that he is playing a character and imagining a role of a couple whose fortunes have been tied to addiction, it's not Shane speaking it's a story.

This is it exactly. Do you go through all the characters in literature who use words that are no longer considered acceptable?

I also think that despite its origins, for kids who grew up in the late 80’s/early 90’s it’s used in a different context. To paraphrase Louis CK if you were getting a blowjob off a bloke and he stopped in the middle of it to complain about something you’d tell him to stop being a fagg0t and get back to sucking your dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

A word of the times. Fondly used by grandmothers (including mine) when speaking of female grandchilder when messing or being clever. 'She's a little ****** that one'. Not meant as a homosexual slur whatsoever. Words have multiple meanings, cock, pussy, straight, queer etc etc. The world needs to be bleached of all this BS.

*Cant believe the 'F" word is not permitted. Absolute joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057803864

Well that happened quicker than I thought it would. I am fed up of all these PC idiots trying to have a say in absolutely everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If someone can come up with a better word to rhyme with maggot I'd like to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

If someone can come up with a better word to rhyme with maggot I'd like to hear it.

ya cheap lousy baggot street?

Turnipman wrote: »
    And, while we're all enjoying ourselves in the PC sandpit, what about Joseph Conrad's excellent novel written in 1896?

Should it be thrown out of President Michael D Higgins's library in the Aras - assuming that it's there!

No, it should just be put up on a high shelf where there's no risk of him stumbling upon it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

On the original question, I think its a matter of time before it will happen.

Especially if the campaign to re-write Sleeping Beauty because the Princess didnt consent to being kissed is successful.

We are on a slippery PC slope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bragget.....a drink made from ale and fermented honey

Hoboo wrote: »
    Bragget.....a drink made from ale and fermented honey

Bob Saget

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Ballyragget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Can we just censor the whole song,,,sick of hearing it.Played into the ground now

BPKS wrote: »
    On the original question, I think its a matter of time before it will happen.

Especially if the campaign to re-write Sleeping Beauty because the Princess didnt consent to being kissed is successful.

We are on a slippery PC slope.

Gets worse.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

faceman wrote: »
    The word is also used throughout the second verse of Dire Straits song “Money for Nothing” and System of a Down song “Hollywood Boulevard”.

I don’t agree with censorship unless the content is inciting hatred or devoid of artistic merit.

This times ten - people never look at context at all - Bambi or Lion King probably be next as it upsets snowflakes

If it doesn't have to rhyme perfectly, then "blaggard" fits nicely, without ruining the meaning of the song. Rerecording it might be a problem though, what with Kirsty MacColl being dead since 2000, and Shane MacGowan's voice being nearly dead since the 1990s.

RayM wrote: »
    If it doesn't have to rhyme perfectly, then "blaggard" fits nicely, without ruining the meaning of the song. Rerecording it might be a problem though, what with Kirsty MacColl being dead since 2000, and Shane MacGowan's voice being nearly dead since the 1990s.
    That man is in an absolute jocker for 25 years . A miracle on modern medicine.

That man is in an absolute jocker for 25 years . A miracle on modern medicine.

He'll be 60 on Christmas Day. I remember people expressing amazement when he reached 40.

• Advertisement

Steve F wrote: »
    Can we just censor the whole song,,,sick of hearing it.Played into the ground now

Ok, I take back what I said earlier about never censoring anything... Mods, I insist that you ban this person.

Advertisement