Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2/Geldof and Freedom of Dublin

Options
  • 13-12-2017 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

I don't know, but should it be used as a political bargaining tool or is it ok?
    I don't think it should be in Geldofs or Bonos remit to put pressure on the city to rescind Aung San Suu Kyi's award.
    Is this yet another example of liberal fascism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Freedom isn’t free
    Vote Trump
    Make Ireland great again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bob Geldof has accepted honours in the name of the British Empire.

I don't think anyone should listen to somebody who is happy to accept an award steeped in genocide, slavery and ethnic cleansing.

PS: The Burmese one is a kunt. Bono too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

They’re all cünts. The world is filled to the brim with them. We’re stuck in the middle of this cünt fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

What a pretentious load of shyte, the whole thing.

What did U2 ever do for anyone? What about your woman? She got locked up for 5 thousand years in Claymation land, so some eejits in Dublin give her the "freedom" of the city. What?

I threw a knackered toaster at a bus earlier today, cant wait for the Japanese to give me the Okinawa Medal of Outstanding Achievement for Awesome Biscuits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I think they should stfu. Or go liberate the rohingya in person. You'd swear the freedom of Dublin is up there with the Nobel's the way the boys go on...

I think they should stfu. Or go liberate the rohingya in person. You'd swear the freedom of Dublin is up there with the Nobel's the way the boys go on...

The nobel prize isn't worth much either these days. Some categories, maybe.

Giving the nobel peace prize to barack Obama for.....something*.....was the death knell for its respect.

(being black?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

She was awarded the Freedom of the city because of U2.

That's why it matters when they ask Dublin City Council to remove it from her.

U2 are doing the right thing. If they didn't, the lazy cúnts would be criticising Bono/U2 for not doing so.

So now, let's hear all the lazy cúnts complain when they are doing the right thing*.

*For the purpose of this post, the definition of a "lazy cúnt" is someone, at the mere mention of bono/u2, have to post that they don't like him/them. It wasn't funny/cool/real 30 years ago, and it's just lazy and retarded repeating the same ****e in 2017. Please find some other way to entertain yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

Freedom isn’t free
    Vote Trump
    Make Ireland great again

Yeah and build a wall around limerick and make them pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't know, but should it be used as a political bargaining tool or is it ok?
    I don't think it should be in Geldofs or Bonos remit to put pressure on the city to rescind Aung San Suu Kyi's award.
    Is this yet another example of liberal fascism.
    So basically you dont think Geldof/Bono should have have freedom of expression and you are calling Geldof and Bono fascists. Bizarre.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Freedom isn’t free
    Vote Trump
    Make Ireland great again

This is just
    Random
    Gibberish

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Who cares what these 2 pontificating gobsh*tes have to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Freedom! (I won't let you down)
    Freedom! (I will not give you up)
    You've gotta give for what you take (It's the one good thing that I've got)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I didn't realise they were being taken seriously at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Bob Geldof has accepted honours in the name of the British Empire.

I don't think anyone should listen to somebody who is happy to accept an award steeped in genocide, slavery and ethnic cleansing.

PS: The Burmese one is a kunt. Bono too.

My favourite was when he pretended that he was going to be offering his home to a family of Syrian refugees, and very publicly berated anyone who wasn't prepared to throw open their doors to do the same.

Spoiler alert: He never took in a single Syrian refugee. But he did get his massive ego stroked and plenty of self publicity. It's like crack cocaine for these celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

Giving the nobel peace prize to barack Obama for.....something*.....was the death knell for its respect.

No it wasn't. Only people that don't understand the history Nobel peace prize say that. It has even been given to people that have been accused of terrorism and of committing war crimes.

The Nobel Peace prize has always been given to certain people as a guilt award. To make sure a certain leader fulfills a promise or statement they have made, by bringing light to it to the entire world, and therefor pressuring them to follow through otherwise facing shame to the entire planet for being a bull****ter.

That's what they did with Obama. They wanted to empower a specific promise he made.
    ...something*...
    (being black?)

No it wasn't for being black, also the "something*" isn't a mystery. It was written on the award, stated in the announcement, and reported by the world media. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his promises on nuclear nonproliferation . The something* is nuclear nonproliferation.

Which his administration did have great strides in, with both Russia and Iran.

This whole "It's lost it's meaning since Obama!!1!" narrative is drivel spread by Rupert Murdochs various media outlets (Fox/Sky/Tabloids), to play on peoples ignorance of the history of the award. It clearly worked, here you are 10 years later repeating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Telling that the article is written about six years after the prize was awarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

F--k John Lennon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Who cares what these 2 pontificating gobsh*tes have to say?
    I do.

You care enough to post, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

So basically you dont think Geldof/Bono should have have freedom of expression and you are calling Geldof and Bono fascists. Bizarre.
    Bono, Geldof, RTE, BBC and certain forums should allow us to make up our own minds about such issues. These people and organizations are not supreme custodians of the absolute truth that should be agreed with at all times.
    I will make up my own mind about it. And so should Dublin City Council.
    Let them give back their awards. All they are doing is showing disrespect to their home town.
    Ronald Reagan once said "if fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism." So very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

Telling that the article is written about six years after the prize was awarded.

Re-read my post. It's written for people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Bono, Geldof, RTE, BBC and certain forums should allow us to make up our own minds about such issues. These people and organizations are not supreme custodians of the absolute truth that should be agreed with at all times.
    I will make up my own mind about it. And so should Dublin City Council.
    Let them give back their awards. All they are doing showing disrespect to their home town.
    Ronald Reagan once said "if fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism." So very true.

....and as a man who backed more than a few death squads, he'd know allright.

Odhinn wrote: »
    ....and as a man who backed more than a few death squads, he'd know allright.

Love your generalization soundbite.
    Reagan took a stand against communism in Central America. Maybe the alternative would have been ten times worse, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

dotsman wrote: »
    She was awarded the Freedom of the city because of U2.

That's why it matters when they ask Dublin City Council to remove it from her.

U2 are doing the right thing. If they didn't, the lazy cúnts would be criticising Bono/U2 for not doing so.

So now, let's hear all the lazy cúnts complain when they are doing the right thing*.

*For the purpose of this post, the definition of a "lazy cúnt" is someone, at the mere mention of bono/u2, have to post that they don't like him/them. It wasn't funny/cool/real 30 years ago, and it's just lazy and retarded repeating the same ****e in 2017. Please find some other way to entertain yourself.

I'm all for giving kunts the freedom of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What a pretentious load of shyte, the whole thing.

What did U2 ever do for anyone? What about your woman? She got locked up for 5 thousand years in Claymation land, so some eejits in Dublin give her the "freedom" of the city. What?

I threw a knackered toaster at a bus earlier today, cant wait for the Japanese to give me the Okinawa Medal of Outstanding Achievement for Awesome Biscuits

It was'nt knackered.....Lovely browned/buttered soldiers and a boiled egg testify to that....can we have our award back...Sayonara ! :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

worded wrote: »
    Yeah and build a wall around limerick and make them pay for it

Had an absolute beauty around it years back. It's white bricks gleamed in the morning sun and reflected in the still waters of the Shannon whilst Munster rugby banners fluttered in the wind atop noble turrets.

Then, the protestants, up to no good as usual...

Love your generalization soundbite.
    Reagan took a stand against communism in Central America. Maybe the alternative would have been ten times worse, who knows?

Reagan "took a stand" by backing any goon who trundled up to him, and it resulted in hundreds of thousands of dead.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Reagan "took a stand" by backing any goon who trundled up to him, and it resulted in hundreds of thousands of dead.

Love your generalization soundbite again.

No it wasn't. Only people that don't understand the history Nobel peace prize say that. It has even been given to people that have been accused of terrorism and of committing war crimes.

The Nobel Peace prize has always been given to certain people as a guilt award. To make sure a certain leader fulfills a promise or statement they have made, by bringing light to it to the entire world, and therefor pressuring them to follow through otherwise facing shame to the entire planet for being a bull****ter.

That's what they did with Obama. They wanted to empower a specific promise he made.

No it wasn't for being black, also the "something*" isn't a mystery. It was written on the award, stated in the announcement, and reported by the world media. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his promises on nuclear nonproliferation . The something* is nuclear nonproliferation.

Which his administration did have great strides in, with both Russia and Iran.

This whole "It's lost it's meaning since Obama!!1!" narrative is drivel spread by Rupert Murdochs various media outlets (Fox/Sky/Tabloids), to play on peoples ignorance of the history of the award. It clearly worked, here you are 10 years later repeating it.

The mental hoops you have to jump through to get to this conclusion..."a guilt award", "I believe the dribble put in the statement", "I cant see any precedent set beforehand", "I can ignore Obama's admitted confusion over receiving it" and on and on.

I think I'll solve world hunger sometime in the future. That would be nice.

Now please give me a nice, big sum of money to "guilt" me into actually doing it. Great stuff!

Reading between the gulf in the lines, Obama was the first black president in the united states and the idiots couldn't contain themselves with "virtue signalling".

So yeah, the respect for the award took a big blow.

• Advertisement

The mental hoops you have to jump through to get to this conclusion..."a guilt award", "I believe the dribble put in the statement", "I cant see any precedent set beforehand", "I can ignore Obama's admitted confusion over receiving it" and on and on.

I think I'll solve world hunger sometime in the future. That would be nice.

Now please give me a nice, big sum of money to "guilt" me into actually doing it. Great stuff!

Reading between the gulf in the lines, Obama was the first black president in the united states and the idiots couldn't contain themselves with "virtue signalling".

So yeah, the respect for the award took a big blow.

It's generally agreed the award was disgraced when it was awarded to Kissinger in the early 1970's. Obamas award, which some might say was unmerited, isn't in the same league as that farce.

Advertisement