Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2/Geldof and Freedom of Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

Odhinn wrote: »
    It's generally agreed the award was disgraced when it was awarded to Kissinger in the early 1970's. Obamas award, which some might say was unmerited, isn't in the same league as that farce.

Some might say was unmerited? Really, just some?

I didn't know about the Kissinger thing, but that hardly excuses f*cking it up again. In fact, it should be all the more reason not to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Some might say was unmerited? Really, just some?

I didn't know about the Kissinger thing, but that hardly excuses f*cking it up again. In fact, it should be all the more reason not to do it again.

There is no comparison. I'd suggest reading up on kissinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

And yet you are making the comparison.

In my lifetime, the Obama thing is a joke. Just because someone else might be a joke doesn't preclude the other from being a joke.

Is this yet another example of liberal fascism.

No, because there is no such thing as "liberal fascism" and anyone who uses that term unironically clearly has no idea what either word actually means.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It's easy for the likes of Geldof and Bono to snipe from the sidelines in their comfy seats, Aung San is operating in the murky world of real politics and hard decisions where the military junta still hold the real power.

If it was up to me I rescind U2 and Geldof freedom of the city for their raging hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Hmmmm, so they supported her before the controversy, therefore they're not allowed to change their opinion in line with changing circumstances?

Shhit enough logic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bono, Geldof, RTE, BBC and certain forums should allow us to make up our own minds about such issues. These people and organizations are not supreme custodians of the absolute truth that should be agreed with at all times.
    I will make up my own mind about it. And so should Dublin City Council.
    Let them give back their awards. All they are doing is showing disrespect to their home town.
    Ronald Reagan once said "if fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism." So very true.

So you want to remove Bono and Geldofs rights to free speech. That is fascist!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He never really recovered from losing his glasses down a toilet in a Nuclear Power Plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Giving back/withdrawing the Freedom of Dublin; earth-shattering stuff.

Usual Ireland-centric twattery. The rest of the world doesn't give a flying fcuk.
    I'm sure it's giving Aung Sung whatshername many sleepless nights...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

The mental hoops you have to jump through to get to this conclusion..."a guilt award"
    bla bla bla bla bla bla

Politically motivated awards being handed out prematurely to influence the person into doing something, is literally mentioned on the nobel peace prizes wikipedia page. There is no mental gymnastics, it's just that you don't know what you are talking about.
    It has been expressed that the Peace Prize has been awarded in politically motivated ways for more recent or immediate achievements,[20] or with the intention of encouraging future achievements

That was a nice ramble there pal. But absolutely nothing you said comments on what I highlighted for you in bold, when you said:
    was the death knell for its respect.

This is nonsense. You are completely ignoring the past of the nobel peace prize. Lots of people have not respected it in decades due to reasons I laid out (preemptive/guilt awards), and due to who its been given to and why. Others have never respected it. I explained to you the reasons why Nobel gave him the award, because you genuinely didn't know - making guesses and assumptions. So I clarified for you.

This narrative that Obama was "the death knell for its respect" is laughable, and as I said, you believe it because you don't know enough about the subject, you are just repeating what the Murdoch driven media claimed at the time.

By stating that bollocks, you are erasing Wangari Maathai, Yasser Arafat, Le Duc Thọ and Henry Kissinger and plenty more.

Next time, just Google or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Love your generalization soundbite.
    Reagan took a stand against communism in Central America. Maybe the alternative would have been ten times worse, who knows?

I was in Central America a few years ago visiting a prison camp that was from the time of one of Reagan’s “mates”.

“Is there any mass graves here?” I asked.

“Nope, the prisoners were taken up in helicopters and thrown into volcanoes so there’d be no bodies to find” was the reply.

And you describe it as taking a stand. Quite incredible.

I know of another historical figure who took a stand against communism.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Grand they should give one to Trump so. Might stop him getting shooty with North Korea so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The city of Jackeens will do what ex pat Multi millionaires tell it to do.

Who really gives a sh1te about getting the "Freedom of the City" anyway ...... Pretentious bullsh1t !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

So Bobby is “disgusted” that the council have done as he asked and removed him from the roll of honour.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/1214/927409-geldof/

You couldn’t make this stuff up. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

He's like a toddler. Firstly he doesn't want it, then tell him he can't have it and then of course he wants it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

What did Groucho Marx say... I don't want to be a member of any club that would accept me.

They gave Geldof an award and he felt honoured, then when they used the same low standard criteria for others he felt offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A knight of the realm....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

A knight of the realm....

Exactly. Hopefully a few people will come out saying if he gets his back, they don't want theirs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

greenspurs wrote: »
    The city of Jackeens will do what ex pat Multi millionaires tell it to do.

Who really gives a sh1te about getting the "Freedom of the City" anyway ...... Pretentious bullsh1t !!!

It entitles you to graze sheep in Stephens Green and College Green, very important these days when living in a city centre apartment, with a flock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

mad muffin wrote: »
    We’re stuck in the middle of this cünt fest.

....and we can't get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Here Goes..... ......... ............ ...........

GARTH BROOKS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Two birds struck off with one stroke. Easy night's work for the Cllr's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I'll be more disgusted if they re instate it. There's a few questionable "sirs" over the pond but don't see him handling back his title........ Looks like a bit of a sideshow...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

At last Joe Duffy did something useful on liveline today. He ran a 5 minute opinion poll to see if Bob should get his scroll back. There were 6000 text replies with 70% of the opinion that the Council should give it back to him. 30% said no. So there quantified is the begrudgery level in this fair land. 30% Nationally. What a nice Nation we (mostly) are.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Just looked at the parties represented on the council... Bunch of feckin crackpots as expected..Enough attitude and narrow mixed ideology that would leave the Catholic church of the 50s in the shade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

mad muffin wrote: »
    They’re all cünts. The world is filled to the brim with them. We’re stuck in the middle of this cünt fest.

Commies to the Left of me, Nazis to the Right,
    Here I am Stuck in the Middle with You.....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭josip

If I was asked to make a kuntz list though

1. Owen Keegan
    2. Yer wan the Rohinga killer
    3. Bono
    4. Bob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

mbur wrote: »
    At last Joe Duffy did something useful on liveline today. He ran a 5 minute opinion poll to see if Bob should get his scroll back. There were 6000 text replies with 70% of the opinion that the Council should give it back to him. 30% said no. So there quantified is the begrudgery level in this fair land. 30% Nationally. What a nice Nation we (mostly) are.

It's hard to judge public opinion on the basis of one poll, but it would appear that public opinion might be on Geldof's side on this one. It shows the deficit in democracy when we let small groups decide issues like this on behalf of the citizens of Dublin. Bob Geldof's humanitarian work is well documented and acknowledged the world over and he deserves more respect than being slagged off here with the liberal use of expletives.

Advertisement