Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Not a hope is Ward getting cut or any sbg fighter from Bellator, the publicity of Conor being ringside is worth too much to Coker cant buy that promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

So it turns out Fridays press conference isn't a big one any longer, it's just a 220 presser instead. Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ha, funny. Is the mural of him smashing Mayweather still on the wall in SBG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

dulux99 wrote: »
    So it turns out Fridays press conference isn't a big one any longer, it's just a 220 presser instead. Ah well!

Is this really a surprise? How many times has Dana promised a "Game changing" announcement that will "Change the sport for years to come." only for it to turn out to be something stupid or trivial?

• Advertisement

Should this thread not be moved to the celebrity and showbiz forum seen as he refuses to fight :pac::pac::pac:

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    dulux99 wrote: »

Is this really a surprise? How many times has Dana promised a "Game changing" announcement that will "Change the sport for years to come." only for it to turn out to be something stupid or trivial?
    Usually when Helwani reports something it's fairly bulletproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Ha, funny. Is the mural of him smashing Mayweather still on the wall in SBG?

Was never in SBG, its in the unit a few doors down they were using for his camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Is Dana trying to say that Conor has defended a title by fighting Floyd or what is he at. What a guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

how long more until his stripped ? BTW cant see him beating diaz , ferguson ......i wont even mention Khabib

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

pudzey101 wrote: »
    how long more until his stripped ? BTW cant see him beating diaz , ferguson ......i wont even mention Khabib

Fergusons injured he wont be stripped anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He already knows how to beat Diaz
    He can beat Ferguson
    He'd butcher Khabib standing, and is plenty quick to avoid takedowns while he does. If it hits the second round though, then he's in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Is Dana trying to say that Conor has defended a title by fighting Floyd or what is he at. What a guy!

No, he didnt suggest that at all.

Dempsey wrote: »
    No, he didnt suggest that at all.

Tell me what he is suggesting then, "how hasn't he defended" suggests that Dana thinks he has defended.

It's clearly a case of the written word not conveying what Dana meant. He's not trying to insinuate that McGregor has defended a belt. In fact he's been quite adamant in loads of interviews saying "Conor NEEDS to defend the belt.".

He's clearly just saying that whilst Conor was active he fought anyone who's anyone in the FW division - including the current champ - and then went up in weight, was due to fight the LW champ, that fight got cancelled (through no fault of his own), and as soon as it was possible for him to fight the LW champ he did so.

Granted his final sentence looks idiotic when written on paper, but at no point in the interview was he suggesting that Conor has defended a belt. Classic fake news, click bait journalism. I've been as critical as anyone regarding Dana White & Conor but this is a non-story.

Tell me what he is suggesting then, "how hasn't he defended" suggests that Dana thinks he has defended.

Maybe you should start by watching/reading everything he said in that interview instead of part of what he said and stop looking at clickbait website headlines and passing off their opinion as your own.

Maybe you should start by watching/reading everything he said in that interview instead of part of what he said and stop looking at clickbait website headlines and passing off their opinion as your own.

I shared the article hardly passing it off as my own opinion.

I shared the article hardly passing it off as my own opinion.

"Dana White defends Conor McGregor, UFC lightweight division from 'haters'"

was the title of the article and you only took an excerpt of what was said by White

In the same article you quoted
    "It wasn't Conor's fault [dos Anjos] got hurt. It is Conor's fault he did Mayweather, but we decided to do the Mayweather fight and everybody gave a f---. And after the fight, every fighter in the UFC gave him props for representing the sport."

Its fairly clear to anyone that can read and read the entire interview that he never suggested that McGregor defended a title by fighting Mayweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Khabib.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

dashoonage wrote: »
    Khabib.png

I was doing well avoiding spoilers up till now.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ah man...sorry....should have stayed out of the mma forum though!

"Dana White defends Conor McGregor, UFC lightweight division from 'haters'"

was the title of the article and you only took an excerpt of what was said by White

In the same article you quoted

Its fairly clear to anyone that can read and read the entire interview that he never suggested that McGregor defended a title by fighting Mayweather.

Dana lists a few fights which weren't title defences then shockingly asks "how hasn't he defended" that bemused me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

How do people feel McGregor would face up to Khabib? I think McGregor would be destroyed by him. He’s the ultimate nightmare for him, walking down opponents, high pace and his cardio (up to 15mins at least) looks good. If and when he got McGregor to the ground, it wouldn’t be pretty. I could see McGregor looking lively for first minute or so before been taken down and kept there and pummeled for the next 4 minutes. Second round would be even worse for a gassed McGregor. If Conor didn’t get a first round finish, I think he would really struggle. And saying this as an admirer of McGregor’s skills. But it’d be a nightmare match up style wise for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

clsmooth wrote: »
    How do people feel McGregor would face up to Khabib?

He'll hide behind the "He's not a money fight." excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mcgregor fears khabib

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

if it stays on the feet and mcgregor keeps his distance - mcgregor
    Khabib if it goes to the ground :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

But Khabib said he could have finished him anytime he wanted

:pac::pac: Seriously? You haven't seen it yet and you are reading the mma forum :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

if it stays on the feet and mcgregor keeps his distance - mcgregor
    Khabib if it goes to the ground :)

The problem is Khabib can take anyone to the ground. And once he’s got them there, he can usually tie them up and ground and pound them. They might make it to the next round, but tend to be gassed by them. He’s not going to try to stay on his feet with McGregor. On the feet for the first minute or so, McGregor would light him up, but all it takes is one takedown and I think McGregor would be in big trouble from there on in for the rest of the fight, even if he makes the end of the round. I’d say beating Khabib would be one of the best achievements in Conor’s career. Just think it’s a very tough match up style wise for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement