Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Khabib is good no question but he was fighting a guy who's main weapon is kick and can't really box,
    It made it easier for him to close the distance you just have to worry about the one big kick once your past it then your on, When kicking is your only game against a top notch wrestler your in trouble ,
    With McGregor he has to worry about someone who can drop him with punches its a different ball game,

sonofenoch wrote: »
    The fact it's the McGregor thread means you can just accuse people of having an agenda? Interesting view on the purpose of the thread.

Ffs, you can't logically draw a line from "Ferguson can't bother him striking" to "McGregor can bother him striking" simply because McGregor is a better striker than Ferguson. There's no equivalence in there. And then to convince yourself that that adds up to an agenda.

"Nate broke Conor in two rounds, he wouldn't make it out of the first with Khabib. He'd be walked down, mauled and give his back again"

Where's the equivalence there then? the Diaz fight and what Khabib will do?

notwithstanding the fact there was a 2nd fight (ignored)

why you singling out what I posted unless you share the same agenda....and yes I can accuse have you read this and all the other posts on these treads Ffs
    I'm not a huge Connor fan but its pretty obvious you can't walk down Connor, Barboza was loading up on kicks its 100 times easier to walk someone down like that than someone who punches like Connor does, Connor doesn't have to set himself like Barboza does and can throw combinations on the move, Plus he has the power to hurt you with hands, you can't just walk him down

It'll be a much better fight than the one the other night,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Khabib with his little t-rex arms can hurt Conor with striking? Now that is nonsense.

Chad Mendes, who's Trex arms personified landed a few times, Khabib can too. And Conor has shown his chin isn't iron either by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Urindanger wrote: »
    Chad Mendes, who's Trex arms personified landed a few times, Khabib can too. And Conor has shown his chin isn't iron either by any means.

Never KO'd not even dropped. Fairly solid chin if you ask me

Mendes striking did not trouble him, not one bit. The wrestling did. Who won that fight by KO in round 2 actually??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I'm not a huge Connor fan but its pretty obvious you can't walk down Connor, Barboza was loading up on kicks its 100 times easier to walk someone down like that than someone who punches like Connor does, Connor doesn't have to set himself like Barboza does and can throw combinations on the move, Plus he has the power to hurt you with hands, you can't just walk him down

i’d disagree with that, Diaz was walking down and landing at will in the first fight. Mayweather walked him down easily, McGregor himself said it after the fight, if he could change anything about the camp it would have been to have train with a sparring partner who walked him down as he struggles with it. It’s the blueprint to beat him IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,738 ✭✭✭✭walshb

clsmooth wrote: »
    i’d disagree with that, Diaz was walking down and landing at will in the first fight. Mayweather walked him down easily, McGregor himself said it after the fight, if he could change anything about the camp it would have been to have train with a sparring partner who walked him down as he struggles with it. It’s the blueprint to beat him IMO

Mayweather walked him down in a boxing match when he was tiring badly...Only having to be concerned with Conor punching him with 10 oz gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It'd be interesting to see who's pressure was more effective early on. Both guys are relentless, only difference is Khabib can generally keep up the pace. Conor has 7 minutes of relentless pressure. But no one has ever really managed to resist that early pressure from him, so that would be his path to victory you would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Never KO'd not even dropped. Fairly solid chin if you ask me

Mendes striking did not trouble him, not one bit. The wrestling did. Who won that fight by KO in round 2 actually??

He was rocked by Diaz, albeit whilst tired. Diaz has horrific punch technique and has very little venom in his shots yet he rocked him. Solid but not iron. Mendes's striking troubled Conor more than Johnson or Edson troubled Khabib, take from that what you will... Point being Conor isn't invincible on the feet and can get got.

You are 100 % correct, I should have said without good boxing,
    I wont take anything from the Mayweather fight into MMA conversation  its just to different but Diaz can box and also has a Zombie like chin, He got hit hard and often and took it, Khabib can't take them shots ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Urindanger wrote: »
    He was rocked by Diaz, albeit whilst tired. Diaz has horrific punch technique and has very little venom in his shots yet he rocked him. Solid but not iron. Mendes's striking troubled Conor more than Johnson or Edson troubled Khabib, take from that what you will... Point being Conor isn't invincible on the feet and can get got.

It doesn't have to be a power shot to wobble you, just has to be precise.
    Actually takes very little power to knock someone out, just a punch/kick in the right area of the face.

Conor walked through Mendes shots like they were nothing, it was the wrestling that caused him hassle.

Johnson and Barboza both hurt Khabib, just couldn't follow it up properly. Conor would punish him for those 7-8 minutes, if it went that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Khabib is good no question but he was fighting a guy who's main weapon is kick and can't really box,
    It made it easier for him to close the distance you just have to worry about the one big kick once your past it then your on, When kicking is your only game against a top notch wrestler your in trouble ,
    With McGregor he has to worry about someone who can drop him with punches its a different ball game,

I was screaming at the TV for Barboza to box, Khabib was standing right in front of him, asking for it. Very disappointing outing from Barboza.

For me the intrigue in Conor v Khabib is if Conor can KO him like he did Aldo. If Khabib gets just one take down, it is 100% over due to Conor loosing the KO pop from fighting the takedown/groundwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Haven't been in this thread for a while so haven't gone reading everything. Apologies if this has been covered.

Is there no sign of the UFC stripping Conor? Obviously he's the golden goose and has them by the balls but approaching 14 months now for a fit and able fighter not defending his title is absolutely taking the pis$.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Anyone see Tony Mcgregor giving Khabib abuse on Twitter haha

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gonad wrote: »
    Anyone see Tony Mcgregor giving Khabib abuse on Twitter haha

No, I saw khabib's manager Ali getting involved tho. He's a cringey/sleazy mother****er.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Haven't been in this thread for a while so haven't gone reading everything. Apologies if this has been covered.

Is there no sign of the UFC stripping Conor? Obviously he's the golden goose and has them by the balls but approaching 14 months now for a fit and able fighter not defending his title is absolutely taking the pis$.

The interim champ is injured, he wont be stripped until they try get that fight sorted.

Mellor wrote: »
    That's the nature of fighting in Russia.
    Does it mean his early record is padded? Yes.
    Does a padded record mean he isn't legit? No. He can only beat whoever they put in front of him.
    15th fight is hardly early. It's 60% into his career.

Anyone doing well in the UFC is legit so when I say he's overrated i'm not saying he's crap. But people are going overboard with their praise of Khabib. He has a handful of impressive wins, he's fought four times in four years and all of a sudden he is the second coming of Jesus and people are saying he's going to maul Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Anyone doing well in the UFC is legit so when I say he's overrated i'm not saying he's crap. But people are going overboard with their praise of Khabib. He has a handful of impressive wins, he's fought four times in four years and all of a sudden he is the second coming of Jesus and people are saying he's going to maul Conor.

I'm pretty sure his that was the fight before he got signed to the UFC, or maybe one before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Think Ferguson is more a danger fight than Khabib. Ferguson has good wrestling, big and rangey and has nice snap to his punches. In many ways a more versatile Diaz.

But both Ferguson and Khabib are very hittable which means Conor will fancy his chances against either.

Saw this post over on sherdog
    http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/137111395/

Not far from the truth really :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I want it to be Conor vrs. Ferguson in Croke Park in front of 90,000 screaming fans. It'd be the biggest live UFC event ever. The US PPV's might be a bit down but the event itself would more than make up for it.

I know Dana has talked about the rain in Ireland, but there is rarely heavy storms/rain and the WWE manage to have outside events all the time.

Conor vrs. Ferguson in Croke Park gives me goosebumps. It'd be mind blowing (once Conor wins of course).

Think they would have a real scrappy fight as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

I want it to be Conor vrs. Ferguson in Croke Park in front of 90,000 screaming fans. It'd be the biggest live UFC event ever. The US PPV's might be a bit down but the event itself would more than make up for it.

I know Dana has talked about the rain in Ireland, but there is rarely heavy storms/rain and the WWE manage to have outside events all the time.

Conor vrs. Ferguson in Croke Park gives me goosebumps. It'd be mind blowing (once Conor wins of course).

Never happens. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

If Croke Park had a roof and they could have it at a time to suit the US market there might be a chance but as it stands it's just a pipe dream. The outlay for renting the stadium, cost of AV equipment, added to the fact of losing PPV numbers negate any gain you might get from increased gate revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Tony is next in line as the interim holder. He's unable to sign a fight right now so Conor is free to carry on. If Tony was calling for the shot, it's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Tony is next in line as the interim holder. He's unable to sign a fight right now so Conor is free to carry on. If Tony was calling for the shot, it's a different story.

How long is Tony meant to be out for? I only ask because having an interim title gives you the opportunity to fight for the real title eventually, not necessarily next. Could do Conor v Khabib in April somewhere with Tony fighting the winner.

Obviously if Tony is on track to be back around the same timeframe him v Conor is the fight to make though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tanjee83

Just wanted to introduce myself..... I’ve been scoping out this thread for a few months now, and wow, what a ride!

Now that the conversation is back onto fights, I just wanted to weigh in some of the things I’ve observed.

Conor McGregor is a polarizing figure in MMA. He has done several things through out his career, in a relatively short period of time, that no one has done before and is now trying to replicate in their career to reap in the financial benefits.

I remember the day Conor first fought in the UFC. He took the octagon by storm, beating solid contenders within the fw division. In the midst of all of that hype, the man took on The Nate Diaz fight at 170 lbs so that Diaz could fight.

How easily people forget this...... he went up 2 weight divisions on short notice just to make the fight happen. That was a serious risk to take at that time during his career. And let’s be honest..... homeboy looked way better than Nate Diaz stylistically and technically. His downfall in that fight is that he was fighting easily a near 190 to 200 pound Diaz.

So, yes, he fatigued early. But give the man credit...... he never had a fight like that before, and he showed his level of professionalism and commitment to the sport by learning from his mistakes and winning the 2nd fight. No..... I’m not interested in the nay sayers that legitimately say that he lost the second fight, because they obviously did not watch the fight from a MMA point of view. He was very dominant and in control during that fight, and even though at one point was gassing, he bounced back and pulled through. Both fighters were exhausted at the end, and let’s be real..... Nate got beat up.

People who say that Conor is a one dimensional fighter have not followed him over the course of his years. He is anything, but. The UFC knows this, the roster knows this, and the boxing world knows this. And all this time, he has been making these people money. He’s made the UFC money. He’s made the roster money. He’s made boxing money. And not just chump change. Some real, serious money.

Conor is at that stage of his career where everything he does becomes scrutinized. He made this point in a recent post of his, which he then deleted. His point was, journalists and nay sayers are basing their opinions on **** that gets posted on social media. And he’s correct.

How many useless articles are written based on photos that come via social media? The Rita Ora showdown is just one example. Conor is an image guy..... he understands what that means to him financially.

Do I think he fell off the bandwagon? Yes. Do I think he’s done with fighting? No.

The Sheldon forum does have an interesting thread about why it’s important to pay McGregor is worth. The UFC is notorious for ripping off fighters. That is, until McGregor. That their promotion is in house works to their benefit, not the fighters. That is where boxing has the upper hand between the two sports. They are all potential money fights, where fighters get more of the pie.

What Conor is asking for is not out of the ordinary. If he were in any other sport, he would have his demands met, and his contracts to reflect the big deal. It would restrict him in other areas where he is making money, and he would be obliged to fulfill his contractual commitments, which I’m sure the UFC would impose many if they were to see to full fruitation this deal.

While many believe Conor is being a spoiled brat, he’s actually doing a service to UFC fighters. And, the roster knows this. How many times has a division become jammed up?

You see, the UFC did a dishonest thing by stripping Conor of the FW belt. Dana White hasn’t been very forthcoming about the reasons as to why he was stripped. In one breath he said it was Conor’s decision so that he could focus on the LW division, and in an other breath claimed it was the right thing to do so that the FW division didn’t get jammed up while Conor was in the LW. What they did was, give the title back to the person that Conor defeated, brushing off Holloway and Mendes. If anything, they should of created an interim title between those two with the winner for the title shot. But, no.... the UFC screwed them over as much as they screwed McGregor over.

McGrogor isn’t pricing himself out of fights. The UFC is being greedy and protecting their profit share. At this rate, the UFC is saying they don’t want to pay Conor what he is worth. Why would anyone go perform a job at a lower cost then what they are worth? Why would any employee want to work for an employer that isn’t willing to pay them their worth?

As far as this whole Khabib thing...... I’m just going to say that the dude is fighting in the wrong division. He’s should be fighting in middle

As far as this whole Khabib thing...... I’m just going to say that the dude is fighting in the wrong division. He’s should be fighting in middleweight or light heavyweight professionally. Let’s talk about Khabib against some of those boys, yeah? Probably wouldn’t have his perfect score then, right? Let’s not even talk about how LW fighters don’t want to fight khabib because they have cost them money by not making weight. Can you imagine the nightmare the UFC would have if Khabib was LW champ? They would have to strip him in a heartbeat. At least with McGregor, they have a true LW champ that CAN defend his belt without any weight and health implications.

T-Ferg deserves the next fight against CM. That’s who Tony wants to fight. If Khabib wants to be champ, he has to fight TF and CM. But let’s say CM and TF fight, and TF becomes then new champ, CM will ask, and will be granted, a redemption title shot, just like every other champ has been granted. So, really, Khabib will have to wait for a while to get that title shot. He’s trying to replicate what Conor did in the FW division, by making noise and talking smack and winning fights.

I just see T- Ferg vs McGregor twice for title shots before khabib becomes a financial PPV fighter. This fight he won was a co-headliner, and let’s be honest..... the cyborg vs Holms fight was way more interesting and had more anticipation for. It will be interesting to see what the PPV was for that card, compared to UFC 217.

And don’t factor GSP out of this whole equation. And don’t get me started about that crap Mayweather pulled with the UFC talk. He had every intention to go make money off of UFC, but he rightfully backed out of those talks. There is no way a boxer will ever convert to MMA. It’s a lot more dangerous, a lot more competitive, and doesn’t pay a decent.

Conor has changed the fight game. I really believe it’s the UFC who doesn’t want him, because if they pay McGregor, then all the fighters get an automatic pay raise. That’s what McGregor brings to the fight game. Not only does he deserve his worth, so do the other fighters.

Not sure if you have understood my point.
    It doesnt matter if it was his 1st or his 21st fight. It doesn't change how good his is today.
    This isn't Highlander where they absorb the power of the vanquished opponent. His pre-UFC fights have no bearing on his rating. All we need to look at is his 9-0 UFC record*. If his first UFC fight was pro debut, he'd still be consider a beast.

For the sake of completeness, Conor also has 9 UFC wins. And they both fought 3 times in the last 2 years.

kwestfan08 wrote: »

How long is Tony meant to be out for? I only ask because having an interim title gives you the opportunity to fight for the real title eventually, not necessarily next. Could do Conor v Khabib in April somewhere with Tony fighting the winner.

Obviously if Tony is on track to be back around the same timeframe him v Conor is the fight to make though.

I think the time frame that Dana White gave for Conor was summer 2018, which is when T-Ferg said he would be ready from his surgery.

Tanjee83 wrote: »
    Just wanted to introduce myself..... I’ve been scoping out this thread for a few months now, and wow, what a ride!
    First of all, welcome to the forum. In general that's a good post. But one or two parts stood out a pure look-aid to me.
    How easily people forget this...... he went up 2 weight divisions on short notice just to make the fight happen. That was a serious risk to take at that time during his career. And let’s be honest..... homeboy looked way better than Nate Diaz stylistically and technically. His downfall in that fight is that he was fighting easily a near 190 to 200 pound Diaz.
    That's not really true. He fought at WW against LW who couldn't make LW on short notice. That's not the same as facing a guy the size of Lawlor, Woodley, Maia, etc.
    Mate wasn't 200lbs.
    So, yes, he fatigued early. But give the man credit...... he never had a fight like that before, and he showed his level of professionalism and commitment to the sport by learning from his mistakes and winning the 2nd fight.
    If you back to those threads, you'll see he got leeway for gassing at 196. He was carrying a bit of fat to make 170. But when he gassed again at 202, and again vrs Mayweather questions have been raised.

You see, the UFC did a dishonest thing by stripping Conor of the FW belt. Dana White hasn’t been very forthcoming about the reasons as to why he was stripped. In one breath he said it was Conor’s decision so that he could focus on the LW division, and in an other breath claimed it was the right thing to do so that the FW division didn’t get jammed up while Conor was in the LW. What they did was, give the title back to the person that Conor defeated, brushing off Holloway and Mendes. If anything, they should of created an interim title between those two with the winner for the title shot. But, no.... the UFC screwed them over as much as they screwed McGregor over.
    I don't think you were paying attention because that's not what happened.

Is wasn't handed to Aldo. It was put on the line in a fight with Edgar.
    Then Max fought Petris for an interim.
    Mendes wasn't screwed over. He was banned for failing a drug test.
    Tanjee83 wrote: »
    As far as this whole Khabib thing...... I’m just going to say that the dude is fighting in the wrong division. He’s should be fighting in middleweight or light heavyweight professionally. Let’s talk about Khabib against some of those boys, yeah?
    You might want to have a look at the size of guys in middleweight. They dwarf Khabib. Let's forget you even mentioned LHW.

Honestly, there's a lot you said about McGregor that I agree with. But a lot of the rest is pure kool-aid.

• Advertisement

That's not really true. He fought at WW against LW who couldn't make LW on short notice. That's not the same as facing a guy the size of Lawlor, Woodley, Maia, etc.
    Mate wasn't 200lbs.

196 was originally suppose to be 197 in Brazil against RDA, who was then a lightweight. RDA pulled out, Aldo refused the fight, and Edgar refused the fight. 197 became a cancelled card and became 196 in Las Vegas.
    The truth is, 197 was suppose to be a historic night for CM, in front of a large Brazilian audience. CM agreed to the welterweight fight against Diaz, a FORMER lightweight fighter, who hadn’t fought in ages, to make the fight happen. He could of simply refused, like the previous 3 fighters. He could of even refused to do the 2nd fight at welterweight and demanded a LW fight against Diaz, which would of suited them both. But, CM took it at WW again, but it would of been a much different fight if it was a LW. If a rubber match were to happen again, you best believe it will be at 155. And yes, Diaz was at least 200 pounds on fight night, easily. In both fights.
    If you back to those threads, you'll see he got leeway for gassing at 196. He was carrying a bit of fat to make 170. But when he gassed again at 202, and again vrs Mayweather questions have been raised
    I don’t think he got leeway at all. He was ridiculed relentlessly for tapping out. He gassed at 202, but so did Nate. As far as the MayMac fight, he went 10 rounds in a boxing match against a 20 year veteran with an undefeated record.

Yes, he has a cardio issue. But he has been training hard on his cardio and his recent fights reflect that improvement. I think he has been focusing too much on cardio and ignore other areas of concern, especially against fighters like T-Ferg.

I don't think you were paying attention because that's not what happened.
    Is wasn't handed to Aldo. It was put on the line in a fight with Edgar.
    Then Max fought Petris for an interim.
    Mendes wasn't screwed over. He was banned for failing a drug test
    I distinctly remember that CM was stripped of the title pretty quickly after winning it, and that it was handed right back to Aldo and that UFC reinstated him as the undefeated FW champ. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that was the initial handling. I will check it out and double check, just going off of memory.

You might want to have a look at the size of guys in middleweight. They dwarf Khabib. Let's forget you even mentioned LHW.

Khabib’s walking weight is at middleweight, minimum. He should be fighting professionally at WW or MW. Ok, LHW is going to far, but I was emphasizing my point. He is not a LW fighter. He doesn’t deserve the LW title shot,and he hadn’t fought in the same amount of time as Conor. He makes fun of CM for taking time off for the birth of his son, but has no qualms refusing fights during Ramadan. How many times has he pulled from fights and been pulled from fights because of health and weight issues? And he wants the title shot? How do you think he would fair in a WW or MW division? Not as easy to pick up one of those big boys and throw them to the ground, yeah?
    Honestly, there's a lot you said about McGregor that I agree with. But a lot of the rest is pure kool-aid.
    I’ll throw in an extra one....... Conor’s MO before was the fighting Irish angle, where SBG and his team mates were signed to UFC. How many of his teammates are still signed to UFC? And how many SBG’s have opened? All these people have made money and opportunities off of McGregor ‘s hard work and dedication. At any point of his UFC career, he could of signed up with a better team with more challenging teammates,that would of pushed him to be a stronger and more rounded fighter, with coaches that have trained UFC fighters and champs. McGregor has done this on his own merit. You don’t think that that kind of stuff is floating around in his head?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement