Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

cliggg wrote: »
    To the surprise of nobody Yair Rodriguez will be fighting Zabit Magomedsharipov at UFC 228. You can take absolutely nothing that comes from Dana as truth ever.

These type of situations are where Lorenzo is really missed.

In the past, when Dana would fly off the handle you’d have Lorenzo to play “good cop” and by all accounts smooth things over. Now when Dana has a hissy fit and as usual makes ridiculous decisions in the heat of the moment, there’s no one respected enough by the fighters to pick up the phone and sort things out.

Dana is laughable. At this stage, a complete parody of himself.

So Ariel says after UFC 223 the UFC had plans in place to do a 4 man mini tournament, McGregor vs Khabib and GSP vs Diaz, with the winners then facing off obviously.

GSP vs Diaz was planned for August 4th and Conor vs Khabib for nearer the end of the year, however it was scrapped mainly after GSP said he wasn’t ready and wouldn’t be for the foreseeable future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Paully D wrote: »
    So Ariel says after UFC 223 the UFC had plans in place to do a 4 man mini tournament, McGregor vs Khabib and GSP vs Diaz, with the winners then facing off obviously.

GSP vs Diaz was planned for August 4th and Conor vs Khabib for nearer the end of the year, however it was scrapped mainly after GSP said he wasn’t ready and wouldn’t be for the foreseeable future.

Diaz? GSP would fostigate him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

GSP seemed to indicate that his future was at 155 on Joe Rogan, saying he had two or three fights left in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Booked it, hopefully a good card gets announced, probably august before tickets on sale however return flights 460 euro hard to pass up.

If anyone wants a t-shirt for use of a fight club presale code closer to the time let me know.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Looking at going to UFC 229 in Vegas in October, however now see Khabib v Conor slated for it at the moment. Getting tickets would be a nightmare if that gets booked. Might book everything now anyway before they get inflated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Anthony Bourdain dead by suicide at 61.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Wrong thread?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Wrong thread?
    Nope.

Am I missing the link to general MMA?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

https://twitter.com/RepresentLTD/status/1005056708354297858?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He’s a huge fan of the sport and big into BJJ. In my opinion, it’s probably not worth posting about in this forum but it is relevant to a degree.

Fair enough, never heard of him before today.

You'd probably recognise his voice. Has done plenty of MMA promo work over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Probably his most notable was the 45 min doc called Bad Blood before Diaz/McGregor 2. I can't find links on YouTube, it seems to have gotten pulled from the official channel - which is a shame.

He was a good narrator, and was a pretty big advocate of BJJ too, even though he only got into it later in life. Parts Unknown was also a very good TV show. And Kitchen Confidential was a great book.

RIP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Strange age to top yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Nope.

Yes.

How wonderfully descriptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Kinda rotten comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

callaway92 wrote: »
    Kinda rotten comment

Bizarre. Is there a cutoff age where it becomes "strange" to kill yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bizarre. Is there a cutoff age where it becomes "strange" to kill yourself?

Yeh, not sure I got the comment at all.

even the wording was kinda gross

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I know MMA is forgiving of a lot of comments, but this is on if not over the line. Please be mindful of the wider site audience when posting, ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A lot might have been aware of Bourdain. But I think this thread is the right place to mention it. As mentioned above there's an MMA link, and he was an ambassador of sorts for BJJ.

44jcwy5eor211.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/BD_bnhRsIY5/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Usman got into a scrap at a PFA event, ali throwing a few digs aswell in a suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

What a weird weird thing to say.

ASOT wrote: »
    Usman got into a scrap at a PFA event, ali throwing a few digs aswell in a suit!

Shock that Ali got involved anyway. What a cretin of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Paully D wrote: »
    Shock that Ali got involved anyway. What a cretin of a man.

The funny thing is it was over someone taking w knee during the anthem; Ali went over to him and freaked out about disrespecting the flag.

Some weird virtue signalling going on there from the Egyptian one time terrorist

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Well earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

She built women's MMA.

Mod - <snip> - fighter bashing is against the charter, no need for such comments.

Also...your comment was snipped and edited for a reason, do not re-edit it after the warning..

• Advertisement

Promo for 226 is out. Best they've done for a while in my book.

https://streamable.com/yzj9x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement