Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you do this to a colleague?

Options
  • 11-12-2017 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

There's a person in work who has been pissing people off all year - basically too big for her boots, foists her work onto other people and is just generally full of herself.

We're planning to go for lunch the day we break up for Christmas and the person organising it wants to leave unpopular colleague out. Several others have agreed with this.

Personally I think that's a horrible thing to do to someone and particularly just before Christmas when we won't see each other for over a week. I know she's a pain, but it seems a really childish way to carry on. I'd rather not have the lunch at all than do something like that.

Just wondering how many of you would go along with something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Fúck her. Enjoy your lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No, what a load of childish ****e. You lot have to work together, and thats not good for office harmony, apart from anything else. If anyone has an actual problem with her, they should confront her on the issues, not do some child like act of revenge by not telling her about whats essentially an office social event.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

How big is your office?

If its a small office and ye routinely do things together, and it would be painfully obvious that she was deliberately excluded, I would just invite her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Knex. wrote: »
    How big is your office?

There's approximately 20 of us. It would be very hard to organise this without her realising we were all heading off without her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

There's a person in work who has been pissing people off all year - basically too big for her boots, foists her work onto other people and is just generally full of herself.

We're planning to go for lunch the day we break up for Christmas and the person organising it wants to leave unpopular colleague out. Several others have agreed with this.

Personally I think that's a horrible thing to do to someone and particularly just before Christmas when we won't see each other for over a week. I know she's a pain, but it seems a really childish way to carry on. I'd rather not have the lunch at all than do something like that.

Work or school?

• Advertisement

There's approximately 20 of us.

If 19 are going, then you somewhat have to invite her, I would think. She can't be that bad to justify her being the only one not invited.

If the environment is one where people often to their own thing and its 5-10 of you guys going for lunch, then its probably not a big deal to exclude her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Fúck her. Enjoy your lunch!

I agree, but it doesn't have to be in that order though

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Work or school?

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

No, what a load of childish ****e. You lot have to work together, and thats not good for office harmony, apart from anything else. If anyone has an actual problem with her, they should confront her on the issues, not do some child like act of revenge by not telling her about whats essentially an office social event.

To close for comfort :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

???

They're intimating it would be a very childish thing to do.

God almighty, adults (presumably) carrying on like that, its so ludicrous.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    If 19 are going, then you somewhat have to invite her, I would think. She can't be that bad to justify her being the only one not invited.

If the environment is one where people often to their own thing and its 5-10 of you guys going for lunch, then its probably not a big deal to exclude her.

This would be a lunch for all of the 'ordinary' staff ie excluding the 3 senior staff at Director level, so she would be the only one left out to all intents and purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Keep everyone onside. You never know when you need to use them for a favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Has anyone ever told her she's too big for her boots? Be honest, does she even wear boots?

Sorry, I understand now.

Yes, to me it seems very playground type behaviour. Everyone's aged about 35 upwards, so I find it strange carry on. We've never even done a final day lunch before, so it's almost as if some people want to organise it as a way of deliberately excluding her from something.

This would be a lunch for all of the 'ordinary' staff ie excluding the 3 senior staff at Director level, so she would be the only one left out to all intents and purposes.

Long term, I don't think its worth the hassle of not inviting her tbh.

If there's that many at the lunch, whatever annoying presence she may normally have is surely diluted. It won't be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

If the directors go you are creating a compo claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

That kind of deliberate exclusion could be construed as workplace bullying. Tread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

No , that's exclusion.
    Almost like bullying.

Invite her and punch the head off her later when your full of drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

If I'm not mistaken legally it meets the definition of bullying - social exclusion of one person in workplace. In conjunction with other things, she could make a HR complaint against someone. So keep it quiet if you're doing it.

Edit: As per Electric Sheep above. Great minds...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

You won't see her for a week...but then it'll be back to business as normal and ye'll see her every day. Either don't have the lunch or invite everyone. It's a small world and you never know, you may encounter her again in different jobs in the future.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Having dinner with arrogant blowhards that nobody really likes is what christmas is all about.

Ye'll surely all be in such high spirits with the prospect of a Christmas break that Hitler himself could be at the lunch and you'd barely give a ****.

I say invite her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken legally it meets the definition of bullying - social exclusion of one person in workplace. In conjunction with other things, she could make a HR complaint against someone. So keep it quiet if you're doing it.

Edit: As per Electric Sheep above. Great minds...

Oh so you're ignoring me ...

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Then you need to invite her. Bullying by exclusion could land all you 19 who were complicit in it in trouble professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

Invite her because it's the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Neyite wrote: »
    Then you need to invite her. Bullying by exclusion could land all you 19 who were complicit in it in trouble professionally.
    Not to mention that it is a really nasty thing to do, and will reflect badly on all of you. Stand up for what you know is the right thing, and invite her. This sort of Mean Girls behavior has no place in the office, and if you go along with it you will lose your self respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Yeah, well... SHE started it! :pac:

Not to mention that it is a really nasty thing to do, and will reflect badly on all of you. Stand up for what you know is the right thing, and invite her. This sort of Mean Girls behavior has no place in the office, and if you go along with it you will lose your self respect.

I agree. I'm definitely not going to go. A couple of others have mentioned reservations as well so hopefully, if it goes ahead there will be several people who won't be there which might mean unpopular colleague won't realise she's the only one not invited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

That kind of deliberate exclusion could be construed as workplace bullying. Tread carefully.

If it's not organised or paid by work, it isn't bullying. If it is, that's different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I think if you leave her out then that definitely comes across as bullying. I'd call her out on her antics before I'd exclude from team events.

Advertisement