Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

jaxxx wrote: »
    Just move your left stick to where you want it to go. Say you're in the middle of a spirit combo and the monster moves to the left before you get to the slash, just move the stick left and the spirit slash will be executed in that direction. Same goes for standard attacks as well!

That doesn't seem to be happening for me. If I'm mid combo the combo will keep going in the same direction regardless of where i point the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

derfderf wrote: »
    That doesn't seem to be happening for me. If I'm mid combo the combo will keep going in the same direction regardless of where i point the stick.

Yeah this, moving left stick only starts responding when i stop windmilling in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

nix wrote: »
    Yeah this, moving left stick only starts responding when i stop windmilling in :(

I'm using the switch axe. It has some long slowish combos. I do be left swinging at air. Extra annoying when i was fighting the barroth and it rears up then smashes down in my direction.

I'm using the switch axe. It has some long slowish combos. I do be left swinging at air. Extra annoying when i was fighting the barroth and it rears up then smashes down in my direction.

Nice i was using the switch axe for alot of the early game, swapped to the long sword for a change and havent looked back, great move set and no slow movement like with the switch axe.

I'm gonna soup up a great sword next to give it a try but cant decide what one to make first, trying to get my head around the stats. Hard to tell which would do more damage, high damage with low affinity or less damage with higher affinity :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Just takes some getting used to.
    Nice i was using the switch axe for alot of the early game, swapped to the long sword for a change and havent looked back, great move set and no slow movement like with the switch axe.

I'm gonna soup up a great sword next to give it a try but cant decide what one to make first, trying to get my head around the stats. Hard to tell which would do more damage, high damage with low affinity or less damage with higher affinity :confused:

Don't bother with affinity on GS. Affinity is good on the speedier weapons because of the amount of hits you strike. GS deals a lot less hits. Affinity on a GS would be completely wasted. Much better idea to go for raw attack damage. Critical draw is a fantastic skill for GS, especially if you go from unsheathed to a full max charge slash. The damage is insane. Earplugs is good too, as you can get in a charged slash while the monster is unleashing its roar.

One of the more crucial skills for GS is Focus, it lowers the time of the charged slash. Absolutely go for Focus.

• Advertisement

jaxxx wrote: »
    Just takes some getting used to.

Don't bother with affinity on GS. Affinity is good on the speedier weapons because of the amount of hits you strike. GS deals a lot less hits. Affinity on a GS would be completely wasted. Much better idea to go for raw attack damage. Critical draw is a fantastic skill for GS, especially if you go from unsheathed to a full max charge slash. The damage is insane. Earplugs is good too, as you can get in a charged slash while the monster is unleashing its roar.

One of the more crucial skills for GS is Focus, it lowers the time of the charged slash. Absolutely go for Focus.

Auuuhhhh literally just crafted the rathalos greatsword, because it had affinity :pac:

I'm more fluid with the move set now, being used to the game, i also love that i dont have to sharpen it constantly like the other weapons.

Oh and the music in your private quarters in game is amazing, it should be outside in the town to >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Full Rathian set, have 210 HP after food buffs. Just like in Dark Souls theres something about a long life bar across that screen makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside.

Full Rathian set, have 210 HP after food buffs. Just like in Dark Souls theres something about a long life bar across that screen makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside.

Rathian+ set?

Rathian+ set?

Yeah the + set. Are you on HR yet nix?

Also both you guys using longsword. Had a look through some weapons other than the Gunlance and have you seeeeeen the Legania Longsword? What a beut. Added it to crafting wish list. Don't care bout the stats

Also both you guys using longsword. Had a look through some weapons other than the Gunlance and have you seeeeeen the Legania Longsword? What a beut. Added it to crafting wish list. Don't care bout the stats

I've got a LS for every element now I think, including Legania's.

Wait let me do a quick check list...

Fire: ✓
    Water: ✓
    Thunder: ✓
    Ice: ✓
    Dragon: ✓

That's the elements covered, also have a poison one too. Plan on making a blast one too but I'm not too pushed about that right now, wanna complete the story and rustle up a decent high rank armour set. Right now I'm justing using Great Jargas+ and fought Anjanath who 1 shot me ><

I must say though, anyone that's new to the series has it a bit rough. While a lot has been made much easier for newcomers, having 3 large monsters on the map at any time causes severe claustrophobia very quickly!

Before there were at max only ever 2 and that was only on high rank and g-rank. In low rank, there was always just 1 single large monster on the map.

Fighting high rank Tobi-Kadachi earlier when out of nowhere the power couple themselves invited themselves along and things got a fair bit hectic!

• Advertisement

First failed quest to none other than Spikeboi himself. Man he moves fast and hit hard, and hardens himself when you break parts. Funfunfun

Sure am, does it mean we've finished the game/main story and are just doing scaling monster hunts now?

And yeah i got around to getting a long sword for each element, same as Jaxxx but also got the blast sword, it looked too badass to pass up..

I'm also dipping my toe in the greatsword pool, just got the rathalos so far, see how that plays out, might make some more.

And not sure which armour set to focus on next, might go Girros+, still rocking the Odogaron normal set, i should upgrade soon.

What made you go with the rathian+?

Actually Girros+ is a horrible choice, i keep forgetting to check the equipped skills (THERES JUST SO MUCH) so might go for Odogaron again :)

Aaaaand he's dead lul

Went with Rathian only cause I liked the look and happened to have alot of the materials to make 3 parts right off the bat. I'm sure in endgame I may focus on skills over looks. But it's all looks for now imo

lol, i do the same, looks first. But alot of these armours in the later levels, the best ones with the sockets have the helmet open :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Go kill him on your own, hes easy :P

Does anybody know how to change direction once you start swinging? I was watching a youtube vid of a guy doing long sword combos and he was able to alter the direction he was swinging alot, he was even able to change the direction his finisher landed mid leap in the air :confused:

I'm constantly trying to aim my guy but he hardly responds, i have to stop and start the combos constantly :(

For the spirit slash finisher press triangle when you're in the air to change direction.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did a load of sos quests tonight and crafted me a nice heavy sword and some nice armour, much prefer heavy sword to long sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

so i absolutely wreck those anjahts with the dual sword/aqua element *facepalm* all those failed attempts with my bow...

Also those arena events are fun and you get a load of materials.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Lone Stone wrote: »

Also those arena events are fun and you get a load of materials.

What do they involve?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

What do they involve?

the ones i done so far were like a small arena with loads of traps around it you can use, and ballista's and two monsters inside you have to fight, another was kill 20 flying things but theirs also a monster running around inside it. So far it mostly those kulu chicken dudes and that blue reptile that stuns things. im only rank 8 so i dont think i have many unlocked yet.

• Advertisement

I keep getting notifications that ive unlocked an arena event, but none showing in my quest log. Is there a hub somewhere i dont know about? :confused:

I keep getting notifications that ive unlocked an arena event, but none showing in my quest log. Is there a hub somewhere i dont know about? :confused:

Where the cat restaurant is, there is a stairs leading a hub area.

Where the cat restaurant is, there is a stairs leading a hub area.

Is that not just for the online stuff though? I'm currently offline mode for the near future.

They are part of the optional quests on the quest board. When you catch a monster you unlock an arena quest to face said captured monster. Check all your optional quest star levels, it may be in one of the lower star groups.

Yeah thats where i saw them before, I'm HR12 now, on the
    Pink
    rathian quest and ive only done about 3 arena's ><

All optional quests are "completed" at the moment

Just tried twin blades in the arena..........ya I don't like them.

I've been beating the living hell out of tobi kadachi+ for the last while grind mats, heard capturing them is better for mats. So i do a capture one and this wanker is constantly one shoting me all of a sudden... WTF?????

GOD DAMN F*CKING KIRIN I HATE YOU SO MUCH!

[calm down boy]

First monster thus far who's made me exhaust all my potions and stuff. Carted twice and yet somehow still managed to kill the unicorn b*st*rd! HAHAHA!

I'm still rocking G.Jagras HR armour and I'm at the stage of the story where I have to face Nergigante... I need better armour before I face that demon!

I was curious as to what role Nergigante had when it came to the Elder Crossings, how it showed up during every one. After the Zorah Magaros quest I wasn't sure if it was gonna be addressed but now I know.

No spoilers but ... yeah no spoilers.

I have 4 armour pieces I still need to forge before I can even think about taking Nergigante on, then I have to upgrade my thunder sword which means farming Tobi Kadachi. Gah!

How Nergigante fits into the story makes him cooler imo. Like him much more after that was revealed. Been trying out the Sword and Shield, its lots of fun, so versatile being able to do slash and blunt damage. It even has a move that lets you mount a monster from below a ledge, as in the monster is up on the ledge and you are below it! But it has to be a small jumpable ledge and not a climbing one.

Was using the Rathian SnS that has poison element. The first application of poison comes so fast but after that it seems there is a lockout period of when i can apply it again, even though i would be wailing on the monster. Seems dodgy, probably better off getting so other SnS

• Advertisement

How Nergigante fits into the story makes him cooler imo. Like him much more after that was revealed. Been trying out the Sword and Shield, its lots of fun, so versatile being able to do slash and blunt damage. It even has a move that lets you mount a monster from below a ledge, as in the monster is up on the ledge and you are below it! But it has to be a small jumpable ledge and not a climbing one.

Was using the Rathian SnS that has poison element. The first application of poison comes so fast but after that it seems there is a lockout period of when i can apply it again, even though i would be wailing on the monster. Seems dodgy, probably better off getting so other SnS

Yeah I thought Nergigante's story was amazing... so much so I'm struggling to keep my mouth shut and not to spoil it for everyone else XD

From what I understand about status effects and monsters, is that each time they are afflicted with a status (poison, sleep, paralysis) they gain a bit of a defence against that same status so that it takes more hits of that status to apply another affliction as it were. So each time they're poisoned for instance, their threshold for poison tolerance increases like they gain a bit of an increased immunity against it.

I think that makes sense :cool:

Advertisement