Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fodder Crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

L1985 wrote: »
    Did our maths and cost of bale was €20 so selling for €25. Put them up on donedeal a week ago (no photos) and not a single call. Renewed it and a lad is coming to take them. I was surprised thou as I had thought with the fodder crisis I'd have more interest. im in the sth east. So don't know how lads could get €50 a bale!!

I think perhaps the reason that you didn't have a better response to your ad is that you are located in the South East and the shortage of fodder is mainly in my own County, (Donegal) and other counties in the North West and the West.
    Haulage charges from the S.E. to Donegal could be prohibitive.
    The Government scheme of paying €12 per bale Haulage Charge could also be a factor in the lack of response as I understand that haiulage has to be arranged through one of the Co-Ops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I'd say this weather could add s few pound to silage that's left. Plus it will result in people being more reluctant to sell some as who knows how long this is going to last

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

sea12 wrote: »
    I'd say this weather could add s few pound to silage that's left. Plus it will result in people being more reluctant to sell some as who knows how long this is going to last

Gonna prolong the whole thing alright

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭TwoOldBoots

Sold all 110 bales this evening, 3 low loader loads out the gate today. I was surpised to see him load 38 bales on the first load. That was a nice bit of weight as the bales were like solid lead bullets.
    €4500 cash in the hand. Gave him 7 old hay bales for luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭Grueller

Sold all 110 bales this evening, 3 low loader loads out the gate today. I was surpised to see him load 38 bales on the first load. That was a nice bit of weight as the bales were like solid lead bullets.
    €4500 cash in the hand. Gave him 7 old hay bales for luck.

€41 a bale!!! Big squares or 4x4 rounds? What part of the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Met two loads over the last two days and not one strap or rope on them. the second one and old trailer single axle with double wheels creaking, driving through Bandon town. Squad car wasn't far behind. Hoped they didn't see it.

Grueller wrote: »
    €41 a bale!!! Big squares or 4x4 rounds? What part of the country?
    4 X 4 Mchales more Hayleige than Silage , East Clare they were serious bales. Sold to a dairyman (who else!!)
    Hay Bales were old Rp200s, soft sponges but ok for bedding I guess. In fairness the man cut the ends of 3 silage bales and was then 100% happy to get the bales. The silage was A1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭Grueller

4 X 4 Mchales more Hayleige than Silage , East Clare they were serious bales. Sold to a dairyman (who else!!)
    Hay Bales were old Rp200s, soft sponges but ok for bedding I guess. In fairness the man cut the ends of 3 silage bales and was then 100% happy to get the bales. The silage was A1

No offence and I am definitely not doubtingv your fodder but at that money I would rather be selling them than buying them.

Grueller wrote: »
    No offence and I am definitely not doubtingv your fodder but at that money I would rather be selling them than buying them.
    I agree but the man said it was hard to locate a good few bales togather, lads were only willing to sell half of what was advertised sence the snow. Plus he reckoned hew was mad busy with cows calving this time of year that he just wanted to get sorted. He seemed happy with the deal and paid so I say fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Odelay

I agree but the man said it was hard to locate a good few bales togather, lads were only willing to sell half of what was advertised sence the snow. Plus he reckoned hew was mad busy with cows calving this time of year that he just wanted to get sorted. He seemed happy with the deal and paid so I say fair play to him

I can definatley understand the willingness to pay top money to get sorted in one swoop somewhere close to base, takes a lot of pressure off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Used up the last of our silage bales during the week. Had to bring keenan feeder to outfarm yesterday, she's a wide yolk on the road. It's a 170. Plenty of straw and pit silage left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Selling pit silage here. Don't want to sell any more than I promised, but there is one or 2 guys asking for any spare bit at all over the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Selling pit silage here. Don't want to sell any more than I promised, but there is one or 2 guys asking for any spare bit at all over the last week.

Don't leave yourself short

• Registered Users Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Can never understand lads that are around searching for silage in March. I have introduced ration from end of January. It is the same cost no matter which you choose. Lads hunting around for a few bales or a bit of pit silage are not running a business

Slava Ukrainii

Can never understand lads that are around searching for silage in March. I have introduced ration from end of January. It is the same cost no matter which you choose. Lads hunting around for a few bales or a bit of pit silage are not running a business

Was talking to a neighbour he normally has bales to sell at this time of year. He only has enough for himself this year. He got four calls from lads the other day looking for bales

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Too many lads have expanded too far and too quick and end up caught with lack of feed and facilities and thus hardship .fidder getting very scarce around me ,I’ve sold half a pit but have enough left comfortably for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've enough for 6 days. Neighbour has promised me some. Hate having to ask but what can you do. Is it just me or is this the longest sh1ttiest winter ever?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mahoney_j wrote: »

Too many lads have expanded too far and too quick and end up caught with lack of feed and facilities and thus hardship .fidder getting very scarce around me ,I’ve sold half a pit but have enough left comfortably for myself

Neighbour stopped us on road yesterday looking to buy a 30 acre pit I have on a outfarm, nearly out of silage with 100 odd milking cows and no hope of getting them out for at least two weeks on a very wet farm, I'd say panic stations will start to set in on a lot of places this week re getting silage bought in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I've enough for 6 days. Neighbour has promised me some. Hate having to ask but what can you do. Is it just me or is this the longest sh1ttiest winter ever?

Grass is a lot slower to take off this year, last year I had the cows out day and night at this stage and had to skip paddocks that were too strong around March 20th. The snow and frost hit any bit of growth on paddocks closed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I’ve a bit of maize if anyone is interested...ex yard. :)

The rule of thumb here for dairy farmers on non irrigated farms is to have a years feed in hand at all times. For irrigated farms it’s 6 months.
    We only got 90 days grazing last year so some farms are getting a bit tight...they’re the ones with cows out.

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Neighbour stopped us on road yesterday looking to buy a 30 acre pit I have on a outfarm, nearly out of silage with 100 odd milking cows and no hope of getting them out for at least two weeks on a very wet farm, I'd say panic stations will start to set in on a lot of places this week re getting silage bought in

Did you sell it to him?

I don't sell silage as a rule always try to have a buffer pit in the yard of 30 acres will be needed for myself anyways the way things are looking

I can't understand it either, it's fairly simple to figure out how long the silage will last and if done early you can take action. A few kg's of ration is a lot less hassle than scouring the country for bales that could be sh1te and paying half the value of the silage to transport them.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I can't understand it either, it's fairly simple to figure out how long the silage will last and if done early you can take action. A few kg's of ration is a lot less hassle than scouring the country for bales that could be sh1te and paying half the value of the silage to transport them.

If you reread the above posts a few lads would have had their cows out full-time at this stage other years.

Got about 5 more phone calls about the bales I'd sold since. I had to take down the ad from the local shop. I could hear the stress in their voces, you'd feel bad for them. I hope the weather warms up soon and we get a bit of growth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

whelan2 wrote: »
    If you reread the above posts a few lads would have had their cows out full-time at this stage other years.

Yes I agree whelan. But 4-6 weeks ago they have expected to have them out for a few hours a day but most were unable to do that. So they should have started to take corrective action. Introducing ration even 2-3 weeks agod to make up 50% of diet would have got them to end of March.

I will reduce silage further and use it for roughage from end of next week unless there is a serious pick up. As Dawg posted with dairy cows you need a reserve.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Thought I'd have some bit to sell, but after horsing through a serious amount the last 2wks with everything back in, decent few April and May calvers who I'd expect to have out on grass before calving, but not looking likely at this rate, so could end up emptying all the pits of silage which is nearly unheard of on this farm!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Did you do the neighbourly thing and help him out?
    It was a very wet autumn and a lot of herds were housed early and now a late spring too.
    We should have had a good bit of silage over but won't have now. Ive enough bales to see us into April so we'll be grand. Heifers going out tomorrow that will save a nice few bales. Breeding isn't far around the corner. Things are turning around I bit I think. Seeing nice regrowths on grazed paddocks the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It was a very wet autumn and a lot of herds were housed early and now a late spring too.
    We should have had a good bit of silage over but won't have now. Ive enough bales to see us into April so we'll be grand. Heifers going out tomorrow that will save a nice few bales. Breeding isn't far around the corner. Things are turning around I bit I think. Seeing nice regrowths on grazed paddocks the last few days
    No point selling yourself short ,lot of lads need to ask themselves long hard questions after this winter ,too many cows ,banking on early spring and late autumn every year is utter madness and to then go begging for silage from neighbours etc whom they may of burnt bridges with taking land etc won’t work as for regrowths there’s frig all there yet and I’ve 50 units n and slurry out ,places grazed are brighter shade green that’s it ,yesterday was first kind day we had and lots more needed .either way now anyone starting second round late March early April is going to be in a bad place .weather is giving more cold and possibly easterly winds and snow at end of week ...

• Advertisement

It's a pit of milkers silage 78% dmd 15%pr .86ufl its rocket fuel, look after my own cabbage patch is my main priority, we gave a lad 200 ton of silage in 2013 who was badly stuck and never seen a penny for it yet so, I'd rather leave it in the pit

Advertisement