Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fodder Crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Same in Kerry. Good drying today in preparation for the deluge again.

When the weather does start improving though the place will be quick to dry , we're still in January so theres time get back on track before grazing or putting out manure would usually start (here anyway )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Good loser wrote: »
    A good few 12 deg C days lately and two more in the forecast tonight. Grass is definitely growing.

Get Nitrogen out as soon as possible.

With the very wet conditions fertiliser nitrogen highly likley to be lost by run-off in surface water and leaching from the soil

Conditions very poor here despite temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭anthony500_1

What a night of rain in west Galway, if this weather keeps up I'll need 2000 per suckler as I'll need to buy an ark for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

What a night of rain in west Galway, if this weather keeps up I'll need 2000 per suckler as I'll need to buy an ark for them

I’m east Galway and no better.rained solid all night.not finished with it yet either I’d say by the look of the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

gozunda wrote: »
    With the very wet conditions fertiliser nitrogen highly likley to be lost by run-off in surface water and leaching from the soil

Conditions very poor here despite temperatures

Fully agree with that post ,soil temps 7 plus degrees in few paddocks yesterday ,got a lot of slurry out with umbilical ,no way I’d travel with tank ,land is too wet and water table to high to put out urea .no point been a hero and pouring fertliser down the drain .when conditions are right out with bag of urea ,could be next week ,could be 2 weeks time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

kay 9 wrote:
    In Galway too. Non stop torrential rain the last 3 hrs.

Feels like this weather has been here for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Will be late feb early March before I do anything with bagged fert here have plenty of storage.The land while I can get slurry out early February.I find it’s a waste of time with bagged Fert as land isn’t warm enough for it.
    The contractor uses the umbilical dribble bar here since glas was joined some difference to the response from it and the time to spread slurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Fully agree with that post ,soil temps 7 plus degrees in few paddocks yesterday ,got a lot of slurry out with umbilical ,no way I’d travel with tank ,land is too wet and water table to high to put out urea .no point been a hero and pouring fertliser down the drain .when conditions are right out with bag of urea ,could be next week ,could be 2 weeks time
    There is normally a good stream of water coming down the road here after a heavy shower of rain. The rain last night was brown from the slurry a neighbour had spread over the weekend.

And I'll have to do just that in a few days time whether I like it or not:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No point being a hero with slurry either. Leaching is also possible. Inevitable l would say. But what's all that GAEC stuff about anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Muckit wrote: »
    No point being a hero with slurry either. Leaching is also possible. Inevitable l would say.

Especially if ya can't travel, ground is saturated so where can it go only down the hill.
    It's a perfect storm, firstly cattle had to go in early and then when a dry 15th
    january was really needed, we got this instead.
    Must be horrific for some people, a lot have expanded their herd size too without the storage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

A few weeks in November were perfect for slurry spreading then, I know it's not gonna change but the dates are bollix, but all we'll be told to is more concrete. Fortunate to have enough storage for another month but with a couple of small tanks, pumping slurry around to other tanks when it could have been spread in good conditions is as much a waste of diesel as anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I says wrote: »
    Will be late feb early March before I do anything with bagged fert here have plenty of storage.The land while I can get slurry out early February.I find it’s a waste of time with bagged Fert as land isn’t warm enough for it.
    The contractor uses the umbilical dribble bar here since glas was joined some difference to the response from it and the time to spread slurry.

How much an hour for umbilical spreading? Would they move 30k gallons an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Dan, that turned up on a thread a few days ago. I think €120 plus VAT or €150 incl VAT was mentioned. From arrival to final rolling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Doubt if you would get 30k gallons/ hour or s thing like it. Having said that lads at it like to really water down the slurry a d wantto spread at high rates. I bs e a short draw a d normally get 3 loads/hour or over 7k gallons per with a tanker. Would double that be doable. You ha e to account for set up time as well

Slava Ukrainii

They have hit 30k an hour here anyway, all going the ine direction. Roll out to furtheest point spread back towards yard and disconnect pipes as they go then roll up when finished spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Mooooo wrote:
    They have hit 30k an hour here anyway, all going the ine direction. Roll out to furtheest point spread back towards yard and disconnect pipes as they go then roll up when finished spreading.

How long does the roll out take? Local contractor is getting one of these soon and is talking about charging per 1000 gallons spread and no including roll out time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

blackdog1 wrote: »
    How long does the roll out take? Local contractor is getting one of these soon and is talking about charging per 1000 gallons spread and no including roll out time.

Whole job cost me 120 per hour yesterday considering volume moved very fair

An hour maybe less. Charge per hour from.when he arrives in yard. I agitate myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

As bad as the weather i has been, it's great to see and hear folks are on about putting out fertiliser and slurry.
    From fodder crisis to light at the end of the tunnel maybe.
    Having said that, I'm going to be short a few bales myself probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

kay 9 wrote: »
    As bad as the weather i has been, it's great to see and hear folks are on about putting out fertiliser and slurry.

I was down in the yard this morning of a local fertilizer company.
    The whole yard was full of pallets of fertilizer with artic lorries qued up on the lane waiting to be loaded for the four corners of Ireland.
    Some job watching the loader load the lorries with 2 pallets at a time.
    It's on move out to the merchants today anyway.
    Soil temps have gone above 10c in cork (this temp was a recording yesterday from met eireann). You only get yesterday's soil temperature on met eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

kay 9 wrote: »

Unfortunately the ones worst effected by the fodder crisis are by in large the ones who have no hope of spreading slurry or fert for at least another month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Unfortunately the ones worst effected by the fodder crisis are by in large the ones who have no hope of spreading slurry or fert for at least another month.

But it might free up some fodder that ppl were holding onto 'just in case'

They'd want to be taking away the slurry on the back load. Slurry for silage. At least it'd be some sort of part payment

Muckit wrote: »
    They'd want to be taking away the slurry on the back load. Slurry for silage. At least it'd be some sort of part payment

Not sure if that would work with a bale trailer unless you had some type of balloon bag

Slava Ukrainii

Not sure if that would work with a bale trailer unless you had some type of balloon bag

Was a bit fongue in cheek. But there are 2 separate issues. Too little silage and too much slurry. The slurry situation is being totally ignored by the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Base price wrote: »

Now watch all that fodder on DD being hoovered up.
    It'll be some scramble now.

Base price wrote: »

silage just gone up by 12 euro/bale

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

silage just gone up by 12 euro/bale
    That is exactly what I thought when I read the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭visatorro

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Whole job cost me 120 per hour yesterday considering volume moved very fair

Are you converted now? I know you were a fan of the tanker. I got pipes in here a few years ago and I'm a big fan of since.

Advertisement