Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fodder Crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mahoney_j wrote: »
    No point selling yourself short ,lot of lads need to ask themselves long hard questions after this winter ,too many cows ,banking on early spring and late autumn every year is utter madness and to then go begging for silage from neighbours etc whom they may of burnt bridges with taking land etc won’t work as for regrowths there’s frig all there yet and I’ve 50 units n and slurry out ,places grazed are brighter shade green that’s it ,yesterday was first kind day we had and lots more needed .either way now anyone starting second round late March early April is going to be in a bad place .weather is giving more cold and possibly easterly winds and snow at end of week ...

Grass is going to be scarce for the first 10 days of April alright. But it won't last forever. It was the same 2 years ago v slow spring and then grass went bonkers from mid April onwards. We'll be in at night for the next while to try keep first round going until 10th April.
    Not one bit worried though, it is what it is so just roll with it. We have feed and grass will come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Feeding 100% bought in silage ATM despite the fact that we've 300 tonne of our own pit and 120hi quality wraps on hand.

The stuff we have is far too good for dry cows so buying silage for them. The silage that's being delivered was secured last November.

Any guys in the fodder scarce areas made some slip up by not shipping more silage out of the East when they had the chance. There's some amount of fodder moving around here and none going too far. I don't think sellers need go far for customers.

On the point of buying silage, we buy silage every winter even if our pits are full. It's simply economics. I cannot make dry cow silage as cheap as it can be bought, a year like this comes we use our reserves and buy cheaply next year. What's going to happen is lads will have empty pits, will fill them, there'll be no meadows for letting but they'll sell the pits at below cost. It's a reliable as time itself.

I was asked €28 for 4x4 bales of straw yesterday and he was serious. I just made other arrangements. What a dik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I was asked €28 for 4x4 bales of straw yesterday and he was serious. I just made other arrangements. What a dik

For running a business?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Who2

You should have bought last November, it’s simple economis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

So you just want to buy stuff at below cost? when the market is aganist you and there is a shortage you can't exactly complain about lads having a hefty price on things. You should have made earlier arrangments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

That's cheap up here😂😂; you will have to send on the number

Reggie. wrote: »
    So you just want to buy stuff at below cost? when the market is aganist you and there is a shortage you can't exactly complain about lads having a hefty price on things. You should have made earlier arrangments

Oh, I'm not complaining. I just bought elsewhere. I'm sure he got it sold. Bought elsewhere for €20 a bale

This guy comes here in s hurry at times looking for a replacement calf when he looses one. He's always been treated fairly, however that will change. He may leave empty handed next time or pay €100 over the odds, his decision

yewtree wrote: »
    That's cheap up here😂😂; you will have to send on the number

What's straw making in your area

I don't make the price I mearly decide if I'm prepared to pay it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

30- 35 delivered is what I am hearing variable quality. I bought straw last August €18 delivered from a lad we buy grain and straw from every year, didn't have to come to far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I posted here about selling silage on donedeal and getting v little response and it’s excellent silage. A guy came said he’d take the lot took 2loads then disappeared.....sold to another guy last week but have had5 calls since from different guys. Lot of lads seem v stuck. We are ok anyway as I’ve budgeted until may as we would always be conscious to keep a reserve. I feel for some guys though- we have all made wrong calls and it’s been a tough winter. Weather seems to be better here anyway-perfect growing conditions today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

can't get at our bales since the snow, only for having hay in the shed we'd be buggered

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Feeding 100% bought in silage ATM despite the fact that we've 300 tonne of our own pit and 120hi quality wraps on hand.

The stuff we have is far too good for dry cows so buying silage for them. The silage that's being delivered was secured last November.

Any guys in the fodder scarce areas made some slip up by not shipping more silage out of the East when they had the chance. There's some amount of fodder moving around here and none going too far. I don't think sellers need go far for customers.

On the point of buying silage, we buy silage every winter even if our pits are full. It's simply economics. I cannot make dry cow silage as cheap as it can be bought, a year like this comes we use our reserves and buy cheaply next year. What's going to happen is lads will have empty pits, will fill them, there'll be no meadows for letting but they'll sell the pits at below cost. It's a reliable as time itself.
    I used to operate like that but am pulling away from it because its adding little to you.its really difficult to get silage of any decent quality for sale and since quotas are gone there is no time in the cows season when she can be parked on handy silage.she is either mlking now or getting ready to milk and find its ration id buy now above all other feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Jesus wept.

The arrogance and sense of entitlement expressed in this thread is shocking.

Jesus wept.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I've plenty of straw so I might put up an add in the local coop to swap for bales of silage. That would be fair enough wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Straw is €37 for 4x4 collected and hay €45 in Sligo ☹️ Biggest cost is the transport and paying the dealers their cut..... 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Jesus wept.

60a516b59dc3a9f4e2a68c6449a37557909bffb3a4752167c9e7e62ad45b5618.jpg

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Straw is €37 for 4x4 collected and hay €45 in Sligo ☹️ Biggest cost is the transport and paying the dealers their cut..... 🀔

Jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jaysus
    .....siwngs and roundabouts

Guys are probably happy to get it, it's only to finish out the year...same as the farmer that paid €41/bale for the silage, as Keepgrowing said most years you'll get it cheaper than you'd make it

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Have enough silage here for another 4 weeks so should be ok.

It’s no wonder some lads have loads of fodder when cows graze till late nov and out again early Feb compared to others that have to face a 6 month winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Have enough silage here for another 4 weeks so should be ok.

It’s no wonder some lads have loads of fodder when cows graze till late nov and out again early Feb compared to others that have to face a 6 month winter.

For 4 of those months grass is often less than 50% of the diet.

Slava Ukrainii

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭BigSteaks

Let 68 bales go here today at €36 a bale collected in yard. He will collect when wanted. Cheque handed over. He is looking for another 100.

Asked would he be selling any stock. No he says, this is the time to be buying. Buying a 100 dairy calves and 40 suckler weanings next week or two he says before prices take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

There there. That can't have been easy on you. Mind yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

Big bales of straw make £80 in Tyrone
    Silage bales of good quality are £30 minimum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭BigSteaks

Muckit wrote: »
    There there. That can't have been easy on you. Mind yourself

It was very easy decision, good neighbour and he will be back next year. His gone with 12 tonight and the weather here would go through you. Say himself and his stock are happy tonight.

Zero growth here and cant see stock getting on for minimum 2 more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Oh drawing silage bales on Monday going a long distance , will find out what your man is buying them for, he bought them over the phone without looking at them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

As grass growth and grazing conditions pick up in the south and south east, will we see much fodder heading west...? Lads forced to put stock out in unsuitable conditions will have wrecked fields and no silage to make for next winter, leaving them doubly feiced next year....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭tanko

Average to good quality bales making €25-28 around here. Delivery would be extra.

Advertisement