Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

2 in here between Athlone and Ballinasloe. Still snowing. The R446 is treacherous, and gets worse closer to Ballinasloe. There's a stretch where there's a few cars that look a bit abandoned.

As for the motorway, I didn't venture to any of the bridges to have a good look, but from what I could see where it runs close to the R446 it really doesn't look like it's in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Snow in Portarlington but just up the road in monasterevin it's rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Gardai have issued the expected warnings for road users. In particular they say road from Graiguenamana and Thomastown, and the M9 near Castledermot as nearly impassible. They also say Sally Gap and all approach roads are impassible and to be totally avoided. Anyone snow-chasing need to be aware of this particular one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Billcarson wrote: »
    Told ya mate wet ground is not the be all and end all

You were right. Its still snowing here. A few cm deep. There is no breeze and it's very cold.
    It's like a postcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Feeling slightly left out in Sligo Town, waking up to no snow on the ground. On the plus side though, no worrying about making unnecessary journeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Feeling slightly left out in Sligo Town, waking up to no snow on the ground. On the plus side though, no worrying about making unnecessary journeys.

How do ya think I feel? Snow in every county around me and towns around me. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The gfs got this badly wrong for my region. We could possibly get some more snow tomorrow, but i think it will miss the London area altogether.

Back to Ireland, it's going to be a cold night over the snow fields! I wonder will any place record - 10! overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Net weather predicting snow after reaching the very north of county Cork - anyone near the Limerick border on here, looks to have reached Charleville at 11.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Still sleet drizzle here in West Clare, temperature stalled at 1.7c.

Unless it intensifies or the temp drops lower can't see any snow here sadly.

Shannon airport reporting sleet at 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Still sleet drizzle here in West Clare, temperature stalled at 1.7c.

Unless it intensifies or the temp drops lower can't see any snow here sadly.

Shannon airport reporting sleet at 11am.

I'm in Shannon at moment
    Nothing to report bar rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

2-3 inches in Barna. Snowing since daybreak, and judging by the radar a few more hours of snowfall to come. See attached...."one less carrot for the stew.."

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Heavy sleet in Firhouse beside tallaght. Complete white out in the Dublin mountains....about 100 metres altitude at most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Went from 4c and lashing rain to 1c and huge snow flakes here in space of an hour.

Cork / Limerick border

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

A horrible sleety wet mixture here now quite heavy too. A lot of snow to the east and north of us judging by some texts I’ve got this morning. Give me 10 degrees and dry benign weather over this any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The gfs got this badly wrong for my region. We could possibly get some more snow tomorrow, but i think it will miss the London area altogether.

Back to Ireland, it's going to be a cold night over the snow fields! I wonder will any place record - 10! overnight.

A -10c is overdue, it happens like two years on average per decade. 2010 has been the only year so far in the 2010s that has done so (although it fell below -10c quite a lot of times that year).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

appledrop wrote: »
    No they are useless. The majority of population live in Dublin so they need to get our forecast right. Thankfully we were out + about yesterday in park with our little boy + didn't wait for 'snow' today. Miserable day here so it's a day for indoor fun.
    They were absolutely on the button for Dublin, rain. If you looked at any of their maps, or read any of their forecasts there was a pointed note that Dublin will be excluded in the snow.

It's not fair to blame Met Eireann when they did nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lots of Wicklow / Dublin Mtn. snow pictures on the Wicklow Alerts FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/wicklowalerts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

About 4 inches at my house. 250M asl near Roundwood. Much more up the road. +0.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Got up and out with the children as wasnt convinced we'd stay the right side of the snowline Roundwood village level. However, it's been snowing consistently since 7.30ish when I got up.

The gritter has been out and road was ok for a while but deteriorating again. A few could get caught out. As far as I know only the main Roundwood kilmac road is really passable, but they normally do grit the Roundwood Ashford road eventually (via killiskey).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A Winter Wonderland in Waterford City, Sticking to everything now. Temp 0.7c DP 0.4c

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Talk about marginality, here in Kilcullen Co Kildare it rained heavily for most of the night yet it has not washed away all the snow from the light fall 2 nights ago, the few snowmen that the kids built still standing in the garden. Reading reports here there seems to be snow well to the south of us carlow, portlaoise and now snowing in Waterford the milder air seems to have curled up the east coast and inland a bit, fascinating stuff. I would not be surprised if the sleet now falling does turn into snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Costa del Deise - Steady big, thick snowflakes for the last hour or so building up a nice fluffy layer. Of course it'll be hell tonight and tomorrow morning when this all freezes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Tipperary:

CAduVZO.png

Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo:

3gK1Qhp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Both lanes operating eastwards after Athlone on Galway - Dublin route. Near Kinnegad turnoff and both lanes both ways seem clear.

Got to hand it to the people out working to keep roads open and traffic moving, never knew we had so many snow ploughs in the country let alone on one route...

Green fields everywhere now at Kinnegad

It's amazing how much things can change in a few km. Live in north Offaly, only 15km from kinnegad and our place is white!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tramore, Co Waterford. Lashing rain around 9.30, turned to sleet and then snow. Snowing heavily for about 2 hours but not really settling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

CianRyan wrote: »
    Nothing but a damp day in Tallaght, I'll live in hope for future events. 15km inland, 98m asl.

My holidays start on Tuesday so I may hike up the gap with a couple of my mountain men!

Be safe, but sounds like fun! I miss my 4x4

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Dont forget to feed the birds...potato skins, nuts, oats etc.....none of that shight white bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Snowing here now not sticking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

No course not because the official weather stations are not in the microclimates. But I've no doubt that it will hit that in places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

looking at the radar there does not seem to be much heavy precipitation left, just a patchy mess now

very light sleet/snow now

Advertisement