Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met eireann got it right for midlands and west but badly wrong for east. Yes they changed forecast for dublin but that was about 5-6 hours before the event which hardly counts as a forecast. At around 1pm yesterday there was an orange warning for dublin. Also they tipped large snow in Kildare and none when I drove near maynooth.

Looks a mixed bag performance from met eireann as clearly some areas did very well with snow. Enjoy the snow those who got it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭bennyineire

appledrop wrote: »
    jpfahy wrote: »
    What does everyone think of Met Eireann’s performance here? Yesterday they were predicting significant accumulations of snow in Dublin but all it did was rain. I know of a couple of events that were cancelled on the basis of that forecast. Can they ever get anything right??

No they are useless. The majority of population live in Dublin so they need to get our forecast right. Thankfully we were out + about yesterday in park with our little boy + didn't wait for 'snow' today. Miserable day here so it's a day for indoor fun.
    The majority don’t though, a majority is over 50% Dublin county has only 25% of the population, there is a whole other country outside of the M50 and if you looked at the forecast right you would see they got it right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

Kildare is an unbelievable fine line this morning. Snow a couple of miles the road and rain here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Met eireann got it right for midlands and west but badly wrong for east. Yes they changed forecast for dublin but that was about 5-6 hours before the event which hardly counts as a forecast. At around 1pm yesterday there was an orange warning for dublin. Also they tipped large snow in Kildare and none when I drove near maynooth.

Looks a mixed bag performance from met eireann as clearly some areas did very well with snow. Enjoy the snow those who got it

Give over will you, it was marginal for these areas and could have happened with a slight change in conditions.

Better to be warned of a possibility of disruption than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Rain here in ashbourne,meath usual s**t,2.8c.Bloody sliders,it can bloody well slide off! Would have been better getting harsh frost instead,this country just doesn't do frontal snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Billcarson wrote: »
    Rain here in ashbourne,meath usual s**t,2.8c.Bloody sliders,it can bloody well slide off! Would have been better getting harsh frost instead,this country just doesn't do frontal snow.

We heard you the first time lol.

So we don't get frontal snow - apart form the large parts of the country that did get it that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Great to see such a strong representation on Boards from all the Roscommon people. Still snowing heavy in Monksland, South Roscommon. It's like a scene from a Christmas Movie out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Road between Balla and Ballyvarry. Mayo. Barely passable. Snow has trees down in spots.
    Still snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

but the event wasn't meant to start until 12am-3am so thats 12 hours. everybody was saying that the east wouldn't get it coz of the breeze coming from the irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

pad199207 wrote: »
    Kildare is an unbelievable fine line this morning. Snow a couple of miles the road and rain here

Should roads leading from Dublin city to Kildare village be okay pad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

trees always look so pretty in this weather, a real winter scene!

Carlow town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Kildare village outlets is in a very snowy part of the county at the moment I think so be aware of that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Kamili wrote: »
    Nope they forecast rain, rain and more rain for Dublin. It was spot on

People don’t listen properly to the forecast at all. They hear what the want to hear be it snow or a heatwave.
    Telling kids they’ll be building snowmen in the morning then blaming met eireann for your own cack handed parenting skills.
    The forecast for here was absolutely spot on.

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Ah yeah definitely

Bitta hope with back edge stuff later on but I’m not holding out for it here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,828 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

View of the green in front of the house , Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

sundodger5 wrote: »
    Road between Balla and Ballyvarry. Mayo. Barely passable. Snow has trees down in spots.
    Still snowing.

Is the the Prison Road Sundodger?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Kildare village outlets is in a very snowy part of the county at the moment I think so be aware of that
    Thanks George

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

pad199207 wrote: »
    Ah yeah definitely

I’m confused is Kildare village not near Laois?
    Never been but always thought that it was near enough to Rathdowney?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Very heavy now in Waterford City and sticking to surfaces, Temp 0.9c DP 0.6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

statto25 wrote: »
    Is the the Prison Road Sundodger?

Cracking name for a snow thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Drizzle and 1.8c, ah jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Watching the cloud travel here suggests the wind has swung to the NE. Met Eireann radar suggests the front is now south of me and pulling away in that direction. So in other words, it's event over.

The radar does suggest that a streamer or two may form offshore but anything from these in the current temps and due point will be rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Just sleet on the edge of Tallaght this morning. It's too wet for anything to stick now even if it does snow later.

I can see that some of the Dublin Mountains (Kippure, Montpelier Hill and Three Rock) are a complete white-out from here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Never been but always thought that it was near enough to Rathdowney?

No it's kildare town, wife has just spoke to her mom in kildare town and she said it's grand snow gone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The clue is in the name! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I’d go
    All motorway
    You will be driving in snow but against any traffic
    You might see snow near the tap or more likely at the glen of the downs and then as you head into Kildare all the way down
    Full tank and shovel in boot
    Fully charge phone

Hmm, one crash reported on the motorway already near Athlone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Changed from constant snow to sleety drizzle now near Carlow.
    Thaw kicking in

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Near Moycullen, Galway 167m ASL, more on my Instagram stories @soulogav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wet snizzle here in West Clare, some settling on windows and car tops, getting heavier, come on I say!

Advertisement