Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

47.9% of NI would back a United Ireland in the event of a 'hard Brexit'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

feargale wrote: »
    Yes, let the facts speak for themselves, unless of course you want to advocate a military solution. What do you suggest should be done?

A strange idea like promoting the benefits of a UI (no reason why the six counties cannot be as successful as the 26) and dispel some myths like the benefits of the NHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The result is in line with the October Lucid Talk poll, however.

Lucid Talk poll 26th October 2017 (per Irish News):

"JUST a third of people in Northern Ireland would vote for Irish unityif there was a referendum tomorrow, a new opinion poll suggests.

But the same survey found that a majority want a border poll, with nearly half believing it should happen within the next five years.

Almost one in five respondents to the latest LucidTalk Tracker Poll said there should never be a referendum on the border.

More than half of unionists questioned completely rejected the notion of a referendum on the north's constitutional position but 80 per cent of nationalists want a border poll within five years."

Wanting a poll is not the same as wanting UI. Decades ago a border poll was wanted by everybody except Nationalists who boycotted it. Needless to say an overwhelming majority voted for the status quo.

A strange idea like promoting the benefits of a UI (no reason why the six counties cannot be as successful as the 26) and dispel some myths like the benefits of the NHS.

Your reference to "strange idea" leaves it unclear as to whether you are accusing others of having a strange idea or whether you are being ironic. I will assume the latter.
    Do you really think Unionists are so stupid as not to be able to weigh things up for themselves, that they need you to tell them? Part of the problem in the early 1900s was the fact that Ulster industry was so bound up with Britain, especially shipbuilding, and Nationalists made no attempt to address those concerns.
    Irish Nationalism has always been afflicted by a considerable degree of self-delusion. Just one example was Collins' (and others') belief that Northern Ireland would not be viable, over one million people twenty kilometres from the neighbouring island. Did these people never hear of Gibraltar or the Falklands?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Or the Isle of Man....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

blanch152 wrote: »
    That must be the most ironic post I have ever read on boards.

You don't understand irony.
    "Those that want respect, give respect", just the following sentence after disrespecting the entire Unionist community. You couldn't make this up.

First of all I focused my ire on the DUP - look at this bunch of idiots taking childish pleasure in the disrespect of 'them'uns'.
    Nationalists are never going to persuade Unionists into a joint future on this island until that kind of attitude to the Unionists is put aside for ever

I, and I suspect many more, are well past giving a hoot about trying to convince Unionists of the sort above of anything. Unionists have no veto on a referendum.

• Advertisement

I, and I suspect many more, are well past giving a hoot about trying to convince Unionists of the sort above of anything. Unionists have no veto on a referendum.

A referendum will be held when the Secretary of State for NI deems it desirable, and that will be when it is clear that NI wants a change. That means that as of now the people who call themselves unionists, being in the majority, effectively have a veto. If you want a UI above all else it would pay you to be nice to some if not all of them.
    Are you proposing an alternative, and if so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

That means that as of now the people who call themselves unionists, being in the majority, effectively have a veto.

They're not a majority any more.
    If you want a UI above all else

I don't want a UI above all else. I felt strongly that a pro-Brexit vote and hard brexit strategy would bring forward the date of a UI but it would do so with a possible cost of destabilising Ireland. I would have much preferred a remain vote and for a UI to come about by osmosis. The DUP want a hard Brexit for exactly the opposite reason in my latter point above.
    it would pay you to be nice to some if not all of them.

I'll be nice to people who are nice to me. I have no desire to try to woo people like Ian Paisley, Gregory Campbell and Arlene Foster.
    Are you proposing an alternative?

Nope. Follow the yellow-brick road-map laid out in the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The yellow brick road has forks in it. Some lead to NI remaining in the UK. Brexit will decide things for a lot of people in the coming decades.

Your reference to "strange idea" leaves it unclear as to whether you are accusing others of having a strange idea or whether you are being ironic. I will assume the latter.
    Do you really think Unionists are so stupid as not to be able to weigh things up for themselves, that they need you to tell them? Part of the problem in the early 1900s was the fact that Ulster industry was so bound up with Britain, especially shipbuilding, and Nationalists made no attempt to address those concerns.

I have a significant interest in NI, and go out of my way to keep in touch. But, it doesn't take much interaction to realise there remains, at best, a significant disconnect between unionists and the ROI. Some are very proud of never "stepping foot" down there. So, you may be very much enlightened, but it's not the norm.

Therefore, it's only right to "market" a UI. How else is one going to bring about a UI?!?

Those that campaigned for Brexit, should they not have put forward their case.

I just don't get your thinking. As it stands the people of NI (a large number of nationalists included) do not want to join with the ROI. Part of the reasons for not wanting it are misguided, imnsho. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Unionists as always show double standards. They never shut up about the union and the links with Britain, but how dare anyone voice their equally legitimate desire for a united Ireland. It's amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Some critique but coming from a leave supporter it rings a bit hollow. What on earth did he expect to happen in the event of a leave vote passing?

Jayop wrote: »
    Some critique but coming from a leave supporter it rings a bit hollow. What on earth did he expect to happen in the event of a leave vote passing?

As he pointed out, agitating and wanting are two separate things. Although, in Kane's case (not a politician) he probably genuinely wanted it.

As he pointed out, agitating and wanting are two separate things. Although, in Kane's case (not a politician) he probably genuinely wanted it.

That's what I mean. I have no doubt that most of the DUP leadership didn't want it to pass, but someone like Kane I think would have done. What would he have had to gain from it otherwise?

It was an idiotic short sighted position for them to take.

The only fly in that ointment was the ads they took out in the London free papers calling for Brexit. Can't understand that move if they genuinely didn't want it to pass, unless they simply couldn't resist the chance to see themselves as influential in a British stage.

The only fly in that ointment was the ads they took out in the London free papers calling for Brexit. Can't understand that move if they genuinely didn't want it to pass, unless they simply couldn't resist the chance to see themselves as influential in a British stage.

I think, could be wrong, they got cash from a donor specifically for that purpose, but might have dreamed that :o

I think, could be wrong, they got cash from a donor specifically for that purpose, but might have dreamed that :o

Oh absolutely, and illegally too and it's another thing they're now trying to cover up. But even so, why risk accepting an illegal donation and campaigning hard for Brexit where it won't benefit them Vs SF/UUP etc if they really didn't want Brexit to go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Irish Nationalism has always been afflicted by a considerable degree of self-delusion. Just one example was Collins' (and others') belief that Northern Ireland would not be viable, over one million people twenty kilometres from the neighbouring island. Did these people never hear of Gibraltar or the Falklands?

All they were seeking in the early 1900s was Home Rule (some like they had before the Act of Union).

As for Gibraltar, Falklands and Isle of Man - two of them are geographically strategic and the other is a tax haven.

jm08 wrote: »
    All they were seeking in the early 1900s was Home Rule (some like they had before the Act of Union).

As for Gibraltar, Falklands and Isle of Man - two of them are geographically strategic and the other is a tax haven.

Off topic but Ireland with its IFSC is as much a tax haven as the Isle of Man. As for the DUP supporting Brexit it was genetics over reason. I would have voted leave even with the risk to the break-up of the UK not to mention all the other issues such as the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Off topic but Ireland with its IFSC is as much a tax haven as the Isle of Man. As for the DUP supporting Brexit it was genetics over reason. I would have voted leave even with the risk to the break-up of the UK not to mention all the other issues such as the border.

The IFSC isn't tax haven... Every major European city has a financial centre.

AnGaelach wrote: »
    The IFSC isn't tax haven... Every major European city has a financial centre.

Okay it's a laundry for cash - will that definition do?

• Advertisement

As for the DUP supporting Brexit it was genetics over reason. I would have voted leave even with the risk to the break-up of the UK not to mention all the other issues such as the border.

I don't get any of this TBH.

Yes, if genetics were the reason, he'd have followed the Scots, and voted Remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I wouldn't agree. Corporate tax rate is 0% in Isle of Man and there very low income tax rates.

So, rather than Direct Rule, the Intergovernmental Conference would kick in if Stormont is suspended - didn't realise it had met before, let alone 18 times:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British–Irish_Intergovernmental_Conference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

So, rather than Direct Rule, the Intergovernmental Conference would kick
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British–Irish_Intergovernmental_Conference
    Presumably it would still be called "direct rule" though, albeit with a RoI flavour.
    Those previous meetings were held during the last period of suspension of Stormont (14 October 2002 – 7 May 2007)

Remind me again, why isn't Stormont suspended right now?
    Its coming up to a year now since the executive collapsed, is there a time limit?

recedite wrote: »
    Presumably it would still be called "direct rule" though, albeit with a RoI flavour.
    Those previous meetings were held during the last period of suspension of Stormont (14 October 2002 – 7 May 2007)

Its coming up to a year now since the executive collapsed, is there a time limit?

Technically, they can keep talking until the term runs out, but judging by Coveney's comments on The Week In Politics, both governments are running out of patience.

As for the DUP supporting Brexit it was genetics over reason. I would have voted leave even with the risk to the break-up of the UK not to mention all the other issues such as the border.

Oh yes, no doubt a substantial number of DUP supporters voted Brexit simply to copperfasten a hard border. Talk of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sidey

And they (and the Tories) sure seem desperate to cover up the source of that cash, eh? And on the flip side too, seeing as most of it seems to have been spent with Cambridge Analytica...which then links onwards to Kushner, Trump and the 2016 Russian meddling in the US election.
    You have to wonder what the fallout would be if the DUP turned out to be (witting or unwitting) accomplices in laundering Russian money to interfere in the Brexit vote...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sidey

recedite wrote: »

Most of the other parties seem content to wait until the outcome of the enquiry into the Cash For Ash scandal at this stage in the hope it might soften the DUP's cough a bit. Also very little point in London hosting talks on resuming Stormont pretending to be neutral as usual - except this time their Govt is being explicitly propped up and kept in office by the DUP. It'll take a Westminster election to clear that problem. And of course the various parties probably need some sort of clarity on what the final shape of Brexit will be before they decide how urgent getting Stormont up again actually is.
    So that's three very strong reasons for everybody else to sit back and leave it mothballed for now. The only ones looking bad for it not currently functioning, for Norn voters, are the DUP. Let them stew in a mess of their own making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

Sidey wrote: »
    And they (and the Tories) sure seem desperate to cover up the source of that cash, eh? And on the flip side too, seeing as most of it seems to have been spent with Cambridge Analytica...which then links onwards to Kushner, Trump and the 2016 Russian meddling in the US election.
    You have to wonder what the fallout would be if the DUP turned out to be (witting or unwitting) accomplices in laundering Russian money to interfere in the Brexit vote...

Proof that Putin's misbehaviour has reached Irish shores and yer one in Fianna Fail calling for a hard border when Conor 'Kebabs' Lenihan has links to the FSB aka russian intelligence possibly influencing others in taking the position on the crossings knowing well it could help the dissos who also happen to be linked with the Russian state through the AGM (Anti Globalization Movement). The russian ambassador should be expelled immmediately if any of this information becomes actual fact.

Advertisement