Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donor kebabs Yes or no???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I've had a total of 2 kebabs in my life. I thought they were disgusting. Couple of bites from each. Whatever you're into I suppose.

where did you get them from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

lawred2 wrote: »
    where did you get them from?

One was from local Turkish place that most of the town loves. Other one was in big fancy place in Cardiff.
    I just didn't like them, plus I don't like the look of that kebab meat, looks like there could be anything in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I used to love donor kebabs but too salty for me now so it's chicken shish all the way, might have to get a Zaytoon for lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I once saw one of those kebabs like pictured up top..it was sliced down the middle and in the centre where a writing ball of maggots....havent had a kebab in 20yrs after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've only ever had one kebab and it was alright, but it was unbelievably messy to eat....and I was sober. Can't imagine the state of some people trying to tackle them at 3am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

house45 wrote: »
    Had one last nite for supper, seemed a good idea at the time , I now realize that they are in fact pure evil my arse is in bits I’m up since 6 on the toilet. Please stay away from this evil food.

That's not the kebab its the establishments food safety standards. I have two places near me that do great doner kebabs and i have never had any issues with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

It does smart a bit on the way out though, especially if in your drunken state you opt for the hot chili sauce. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Gravelly wrote: »
    All you need to complete the look is a can of Dutch Gold in the other hand.

A bottle of Berliner pilsner or Fritz Cola would be my preference.

Not sure if they have Dutchie in Turkey, where kebabs come from, Austria where kebabs outsell burgers and wurst, or Berlin where doner sales were over €2.5 billion in 2010 and is hotly contested where the original and best kebab in Europe might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i had a bad apple once, so now i boycott all greengrocers ..... ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Damn, I could do with one of those!

A quick nose says that the place is currently closed, but due to reopen soon.

100% would find it again, if/when I'm back in Munich. 4.5/5 Sofs, official rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Abrakebabra. Despite the name, they are bloody awful. Frozen slices of kebab meat defrosted on the grill, and shoved into some pitta bread, is not my definition of a kebab.

Local independents do theirs in a flat bread or a nan, delicious at the right time. Nicest in Ireland I have had, think it was Kebabish Tandori, near the Barge Pub, Dublin.

Nicest ever was on a side street in Lyon, France. Hollowed out peice of bread, loaded with meat, salad and sauces.

All washed down with a curry chip.

:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nectar of the gods

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I haven't had a decent Kebab in Ireland.
    But when I'm in Germany, I eat the f*ckers as often as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I once saw one of those kebabs like pictured up top..it was sliced down the middle and in the centre where a writing ball of maggots....havent had a kebab in 20yrs after that.

I once cut open a post on boards and found that the centre was full of horsesh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Its hard to beat the Turks for a good kebab. Its hard to get a good kebab in Ireland, I've heard they use meat from young calves not fit for rearing ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

They're not evil, they're just largely (with a few notable exceptions) complete muck here.

Go to Berlin and have one there - there is no comparison. I'd happily take a kebab over a steak dinner in Berlin.

Zaytoon and the Capel Kebab House are as good as it gets here, but they are still a far shout from what it's like over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Go to Berlin and have one there - there is no comparison. I'd happily take a kebab over a steak dinner in Berlin.
    +1 absolutely, pretty much the first thing I do when I get off the plane in germany is drink a beer on the street and have a kebab

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Its hard to beat the Turks for a good kebab. Its hard to get a good kebab in Ireland, I've heard they use meat from young calves not fit for rearing ..

Where would they get young calves? The traceability and animal ID system is pretty tight.
    And what's wrong with veal in a kebab? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

even smell of them makes me wanna hurl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

+1 absolutely, pretty much the first thing I do when I get off the plane in germany is drink a beer on the street and have a kebab

Regularly used to do that myself when I lived in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Kaleli Kebab Tralee.....jaysus tis gorgeus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Passion4Food on Clanbrassil Street. Class spot.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

pawdee wrote: »
    Kaleli Kebab Tralee.....jaysus tis gorgeus!

I'm sure it is, but it's probably handier for me to get to Berlin :)
    Passion4Food on Clanbrassil Street. Class spot.

I don't eat in places that use numbers instead of words in their name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Falafel kebabs are where it's at!

No scary meat to be concerned with, tasty as bejaysis and very hard to get wrong.

Only pisser is that they don't tend to do them in the bog standard chipper!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

veal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I also have never had a tasty one in Ireland. Germany had some amazing ones, but the best I had were in Gdansk, Poland. They were simply out of this world.

I tried that passion4food place on clanbrassil and it was muck. Grisly meat, doughy bread and appalling hygiene in general. I heard there is a good one somewhere on Dorset st somewhere though that is the genuine article. I have been meaning to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

Zaytoons FTW!

• Advertisement
Advertisement