Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donor kebabs Yes or no???

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hoboo wrote: »
    Shish Kebab in a naan or pitta or nothing. Most doners don't even contain lamb, its chicken and beef ffs. Entrails offal skin and fat. Lovely.

That’s nonsense. Legally a donor kebab must be made of lamb. EU regulations.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Döner kebabs can be pretty good but donor kebabs are just offal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I always thought it was "doner". I see people spelling it as "donner", "donnor" and "donor". A kebab donor would be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

When you get the ones with that compressed lump of doner meat on a spit like in a chipper or abrakebabra they are crap. When you get the ones with actual pieces of lamb or chicken skewered in layers on the rotating spit, that's where it's at.

Seeing that thing in abrakebabra turned me off ever trying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Brian? wrote: »
    Is it not if the take away has it as lamb on the menu ? If menu states it’s 100% lamb meat them yes it has to be lamb but I think a doner can be a mixture of lamb, beef or chicken but not pork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Doner kebabs are magnificent. You couldn't bate them with a shtick!

Had one on Saturday, I want another one now!

Read a very troubling article last week, claiming the EU wants to ban their sale. Something about the delicious phosphates causing cancer or some other bullshít reason.

I can see the appeal of brexit all of a sudden.:D

There's more troubling ones than that:

Girl murdered and put in kebab

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

lawred2 wrote: »
    When I was living in Germany - there was this Turkish chap who had a little kebab shop on the corner. Never seen a place so impeccably kept. Shining aluminium work surfaces. Sparkling glass everywhere. The lad must have spent hours every day keeping the place clean.

And then the freshest of salads and vegetables for his kebabs. The meat was the real deal - not that homogeneous lump of congealed crap you'd see in the likes of Abrakebabra.. Spiced by himself.

Made his own chilli and white sauces as well.

€5 a kebab with a drink.

I'd nearly travel back there again just for the kebab.

Yep, these guys are the real deal, love me a Bahnhof kebab with a beer!

The bog standard chip shop version of kebab is dreadful.

Maybe don't go to chip shops in the bog so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Döner kebabs can be pretty good but donor kebabs are just offal.

I kidney touch one of those donor kebabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

c_man wrote: »
    How about the Guardian? - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/01/for-pittas-sake-eu-parliament-threatens-to-make-doner-kebab-a-goner

I'd never touch a "lamb" kebab. When I'm really drunk I might chance a "chicken" one but always regret it.

Chips'n'pitta, wahey!
    media BS 2+2 = 500 - just surprised the guardian would stoop to that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Get a doner done by Pakistani/Indian/Nepalese guys.

Nice massive big round naan, packed to the hilt and just ****ing amazing.

The cheapo half-filled pita bread things you get out of Italian chippers aren't worthy of the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Bought a Donor Kebab once and the guy dropped it and so I said I wanted another fresh one.

He threw it on the counter and said "Take her or liver, your choice".

We're still doing organ donor jokes, right?

Bought a Donor Kebab once and the guy dropped it and so I said I wanted another fresh one.

I would've probably taken the liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Colliewollie

True, some of the most amazing kebabs I've ever had were in Germany. In the big cities, smallish cities and towns.. Real meat, fresh veg and sauces etc.. Lovely stuff.. Wouldn't even compare them to Abra.. Completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Omackeral wrote: »
    I always thought it was "doner". I see people spelling it as "donner", "donnor" and "donor". A kebab donor would be amazing.
    :D

Reminds me of a Viz article. "Doner card. Please help yourself to the remainder of my kebab after my death" :D

A takeaway near where I lived in Sheffield did a meganormous mixed kebab (doner and chicken) rolled in a naan bread, known locally as a "donkey's knob". Huge, and impossible to eat in one session. The thing is, microwaved kebab isn't very appetising on a Saturday morning so the leftovers would be thrown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

OP was it served up to you by a permatanned gobby young wan with pigtails wearing a 'Gemma' necklace and a belly dancer wobbly midriff?
    Her personal hygiene wouldn't be the best what with always talking with a gob full of food so if this was the place, buckle down for a long session..

To thine own self be true

We're still doing organ donor jokes, right?

He had the gall to say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I'm not donating my kebab you freeloader

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's a Turkish place near me that makes amazing kebabs, absolutely huge.
    Another Pakistani owned place can nearly rival it.
    Yummy kebabs,mmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Passion 4 Food - Dublin 8
    Altoon - Dublin 14
    Pasha - Dublin 1

All worth a visit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Omackeral wrote: »
    Donor kebabs are manna from the gods. They're savage. I hate the reputation they have as just being good when drunk. This is wrong. Also, I'm not gonna be that fella that says "ah you have to get them from the right authentic Turkish place because all you're getting other wise is muck". I love them from chippers, Zaytoon and even abrakebra. The independent spots are fantastic too.

Long live doner kebabs.

I get chicken kebabs sometimes, just as nice. I love kebabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The Simpsons once brilliantly referred to such things as 'meat-inspired products'. :-)

It is actually quite a bit CHEAPER to buy a strip loin or ribeye steak and fry it at home. Salt n'pepper and a few flips and you are done.

Why people buy kebabs, muck posing as food, is beyond me. Can't get into their minds at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

topper75 wrote: »
    The Simpsons once brilliantly referred to such things as 'meat-inspired products'. :-)

It is actually quite a bit CHEAPER to buy a strip loin or ribeye steak and fry it at home. Salt n'pepper and a few flips and you are done.

Why people buy kebabs, muck posing as food, is beyond me. Can't get into their minds at all.[/QUOTE]

Maybe because its late at night, they are inebriated, and have non access to cooking facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I love a good kebab. Moreso if they fire one of those pickled chillies on top of all the sauce and salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I love a kebab, used to get just meat because I was a picky ****, but now just load it up, but hold the matos, please.

Love getting them in Berlin, nice crisp salad, the sauerkraut, meat (I genuinely don't give a **** if it's lamb, cat, or human) the sauces, and a bottle of Fritz Cola, little knackered out truck on the side of the road beats the best kebab places here.

Or go to Munich and get a Krusten braten wrap from BaziBox. It's like a Bavarian kebab, roast pork, crackling, dumplings, redkraut, and gravy, in a wrap.

Damn I want a kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Brian? wrote: »

Nonsense? Bit harsh, you could have at least done a search before stating something is nonsense, because of EU regs. You know its illegal to deal drugs, but guess what, people still do it!

I suppose you think Fresh Cod in chippers is actually Cod? And I know, legally it should be, more often its not.

Heres something to back up my nonsensical post, Food Safety Authority research.

https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/no-horse-but-its-not-lamb-either-whats-really-in-your-donner-kebab-30457005.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

topper75 wrote: »

It is actually quite a bit CHEAPER to buy a strip loin or ribeye steak and fry it at home. Salt n'pepper and a few flips and you are done

Its even cheaper to fill a glass with water, and drink that instead of eating a steak. But it's not the same thing.

Have you tried eating a steak walking down the street? Rather difficult. A kebab? Perfect, because it's street food.

And I like steaks, but they're not the only meal.

I love a kebab, used to get just meat because I was a picky ****, but now just load it up, but hold the matos, please.

Love getting them in Berlin, nice crisp salad, the sauerkraut, meat (I genuinely don't give a **** if it's lamb, cat, or human) the sauces, and a bottle of Fritz Cola, little knackered out truck on the side of the road beats the best kebab places here.

Or go to Munich and get a Krusten braten wrap from BaziBox. It's like a Bavarian kebab, roast pork, crackling, dumplings, redkraut, and gravy, in a wrap.

Damn I want a kebab.

Damn, I could do with one of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Its even cheaper to fill a glass with water, and drink that instead of eating a steak. But it's not the same thing.

Have you tried eating a steak walking down the street? Rather difficult. A kebab? Perfect, because it's street food.

And I like steaks, but they're not the only meal.

All you need to complete the look is a can of Dutch Gold in the other hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I've had a total of 2 kebabs in my life. I thought they were disgusting. Couple of bites from each. Whatever you're into I suppose.

Advertisement