Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Double Gameweek/Blank Gameweek planning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,798 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

right ended up playing the free hit, team is

Adrian,
    Otmandi, Shaw, Jones
    Sterling, Ali, Erikson, Arnie,
    Kane, Aguero, Carroll

Darlow, Dunk, Kelly, TPT,

Captain currently on Kane, but very very tempted to move to Ali - he's on form.

Not overly sold on Adrian, but couldnt' figure out what other keeper to go for so stuck him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Ace2007 wrote: »
    right ended up playing the free hit, team is

Adrian,
    Otmandi, Shaw, Jones
    Sterling, Ali, Erikson, Arnie,
    Kane, Aguero, Carroll

Darlow, Dunk, Kelly, TPT,

Captain currently on Kane, but very very tempted to move to Ali - he's on form.

Not overly sold on Adrian, but couldnt' figure out what other keeper to go for so stuck him in.

Double United defence away to Everton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Cresswell has 3 assists and 6 bonus compared to 2 and 1 for Masuaka. He's just one of those players I like to own. Plus I think he's rotation proof.

Yeah want Cresswell if possible myself. He got an assist from a corner last gameweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yeah. Dont like that either
    Seen as it's a free hit I'd stick a leicster defender in instead
    Also think dunk will prob keep a cleanie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If I play my free hit, it'll stop me TC'ing Kane... which is a good thing, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Can you tinker with it or is that it?

You can continue to mess around with the team and make transfers up until the deadline. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

I'm currently on wildcard and contemplating going without Kane.
    Alli,son and eriksen instead.

Do I need my head examined?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    I'm currently on wildcard and contemplating going without Kane.
    Alli,son and eriksen instead.

Do I need my head examined?

If it was a free hit I'd say go for it for the week, but I'm not a big fan of even doubling on same club in attack, so think 3 premium players is overkill in MF alone.
    But they do have nice fixtures coming up, if you were to have the 3 this week then sell one on next week maybe, but that would be using up a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Have landed on this for -4.

Lloris(VC)
    Masuaku-Jones-Alonso-Francis
    Arnautovic-Sterling-Salah-Richarlison
    Kane(TC) Aguero

Bench
    Elliot-Bellerin-Quaner-RLC

Realistically with injuries I will be playing 5 at the back if Bellerin subs in for Salah, but with 3 OOP defenders and 4 Double Gameweekers I don't think its worth taking another hit and wouldn't know who to bring in or sell anyway.

I'm hovering over the TC Chip for Kane and VC split between Arnie and Lloris but not sure if I'm brave enough.
    Couldn't go any worse that my previous TCs of Lukaku 2 years ago and Negredo last season though

Currently on this free hit.

Adrian
    Cresswell, Stones, Maguire (TAA)
    Alli, Son, Arnautovic, Mahrez, Sterling
    Kane (c), Aguero (Solanke)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Will Stones start would be my main worry with that team other than that looks good

FHFC wrote: »
    Currently on this free hit.

Adrian
    Cresswell, Stones, Maguire (TAA)
    Alli, Son, Arnautovic, Mahrez, Sterling
    Kane (c), Aguero (Solanke)

Is stones worth the risk ?
    Think Brighton could just as easily keep a clean sheet against bournemouth for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

km79 wrote: »
    Think Brighton could just as easily keep a clean sheet against bournemouth for example

Bournemouth are scoring against weaker teams though. I would prefer Stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

On the free hit I landed with
    Adrian
    Danilo Cresswell TAA (Wimmer, Rangel)
    Alli, Eriksen, Mahrez, Sterling, Arnautovic,
    Kane (c) Aguero (Solanke)

Putting the line at under/over 100 points as the measure of success and failure of the chip.

CSF wrote: »
    Adrian

Putting the line at under/over 100 points as the measure of success and failure of the chip.

100? I really think that many of the teams who forgot about it will do better, If spurs run riot then we may see 100, but if spurs and Kane do nothing - you could be looking at like 50.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Adrian

100? I really think that many of the teams who forgot about it will do better, If spurs run riot then we may see 100, but if spurs and Kane do nothing - you could be looking at like 50.
    19 players including captain and DGW. An average of about 5 per player isn’t a huge ask considering I’ve been able to handpick which players I want, specifically for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Had 2 FT and brought in Kane and Arnie. Then played my FH and stupidly thought that the Kane & Arnie transfers would stick for next week also. Back to 1 FT aswell so my team is actually in worse shape going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

19 players including captain and DGW. An average of about 5 per player isn’t a huge ask considering I’ve been able to handpick which players I want, specifically for this week.

Ultimately it could be low scoring for the best players. More likely to be the other way but possible nonetheless. A certain percentage compared to the average top 10k or 1k would surely give a better idea as to its success?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

What matters with your FH is how much it outscores the team you were going to have. Have felt for weeks this was a great week to use it. Much bigger upside than the blank week that people are holding out for in my opinion. I didn't play it but would be great if people could post the difference the score brought them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

What matters with your FH is how much it outscores the team you were going to have. Have felt for weeks this was a great week to use it. Much bigger upside than the blank week that people are holding out for in my opinion. I didn't play it but would be great if people could post the difference the score brought them.

Will do and I agree with this.
    For me it was either FH or TC to be used this week and with Kane a doubt and half my team likely to be rested, injured or suspended (most back in a fortnight) the FH became a bit of a no-brainer.
    I'll be happy if I outscore my old team by 40-50 pts.

• Advertisement

Will post mine too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Probably looking good so far for most with the FH template team inc Mahrez and Leicester defence. Typically I went with Morgan who got a cameo + yellow.

Real team doing nothing - ones and twos. The bad news though is that I'll have those losers back in next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

That's what matters the most but there's a bit more to it than that. I'll have to take an 8 point hit next week and will have lost at least 0.3 TV on the (free) transfers I would have otherwise taken this week.

Sure what do I know!

Sure what do I know!

Ha, yea I stuck with them, 12 points from 2 lads -

I had TAA in for a decent sub in case stones didn't show, but a certain forum stalwart sold me on said Mr Dunk.

Stones better fuppin play! :)

Spot on of course. Will do but mine will be a bit deceptive as I've planned for playing it. Otherwise I'd have had a different team this week.

I had TAA in for a decent sub in case stones didn't show, but a certain forum stalwart sold me on said Mr Dunk.

Hunt him down
    Oh wait

Is that the same guy who said Pogba was playing ****e?

• Advertisement

Is that the same guy who said Pogba was playing ****e?

He was
    And in a different position
    Id have feckin had him myself if he had been playing where he was tonight
    But I have Mata

Anyway my master plan is coming to fruition
    Next I shall advise everyone to sell Kane

He was
    And in a different position
    Id have feckin had him myself if he had been playing where he was tonight
    But I have Mata

Anyway my master plan is coming to fruition
    Next I shall advise everyone to sell Kane

I know he was. Was joking.

I know he was. Was joking.

Don't worry so was I
    Except about selling Kane

Do it

I have to say they have got it right with the free hit. Its an excellent chip especially compared to that All out attack which was pointless. Free hit the most valuable chip but if it goes wrong for you it can cost you points also there are numerous weeks it can be used. The safe bet is to use it in a blank as you are guaranteed an increase in points on the score you would have got. I think gws like this it has more potential though. I'm probably going to play it in the big dgw.

Agree. I was initially a big critic of it. But once you see the potential of it beyond the obvious 'blank GW bail out' it's a very powerful chip, second only to the wildcard.

I've always felt it would be good for a small DGW like this. Using in the big DGW would be great but depends whether you have a good opportunity to play BB or TC which completely depends on the fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Jumping in here as we're talking about the value of a Free Hit:

Was discussed before when I (and many others) used the FH (around GW 8 or so it may have been, when Kane was injured for one match)?

How much value, in FF points, is the FH worth in your opinion? How many more points do you need to make with your FH for it to be considered a success?

I previously said 25 points. (i.e. over 25 = good use of FH, under 25 = bad use)

Would people here agree?

(Mine was a failure by the way. Think I made about 17 points or so on it. Blanking on Sanchez captain was the decider).

Morzadec wrote: »
    Jumping in here as we're talking about the value of a Free Hit:

Was discussed before when I (and many others) used the FH (around GW 8 or so it may have been, when Kane was injured for one match)?

How much value, in FF points, is the FH worth in your opinion? How many more points do you need to make with your FH for it to be considered a success?

I previously said 25 points. (i.e. over 25 = good use of FH, under 25 = bad use)

Would people here agree?

(Mine was a failure by the way. Think I made about 17 points or so on it. Blanking on Sanchez captain was the decider).

I'd value free hit higher that 25. Just a bit though.

I think a wildcard played well can give you a boost of up to 50 points over a few weeks.

Free Hit 25 points would be decent but it has potential to return a lot more. 30 to 50 possibly.

Bench boost I think anything over 20 is very good. 30 plus is superb.

Triple Cap I think 10 to 15 is decent. 15 to 20 is good. 20 to 30 is superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Morzadec wrote: »

25 sounds about right.

I still think using it on a skinny or double gameweek is your best chance to maximize it. On average there'll be a bad week where you either have a skinny week when you only 6 players playing or a DGW where you only have 6 DGW players. If you play it that week you can get another 5 "90 minutes" out of your team. If those 5 players get you an extra 5 points each that sounds like a success.

On a normal week, you're only replacing players you have with other players, so picking an optimal team that scores 75 points over your normal team that scores 50 points seems about right, any more than that and I'd be happy.

Think anything over 25 would be great but I'd take 25 points for it right now if you offered it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Shedite27 wrote: »
    25 sounds about right.

I still think using it on a skinny or double gameweek is your best chance to maximize it. On average there'll be a bad week where you either have a skinny week when you only 6 players playing or a DGW where you only have 6 DGW players. If you play it that week you can get another 5 "90 minutes" out of your team. If those 5 players get you an extra 5 points each that sounds like a success.

On a normal week, you're only replacing players you have with other players, so picking an optimal team that scores 75 points over your normal team that scores 50 points seems about right, any more than that and I'd be happy.

Think anything over 25 would be great but I'd take 25 points for it right now if you offered it to me.

For me it was a huge amount of injuries / suspensions which would have caused me to field only 8 or 9 players, many of them were supposed to be short-term injuries and were players I wanted to keep long-term (e.g. Coutinho and Kane).

My rationale was that I expected about 35 - 40 points from my normal team vs a projected 70 points or so from my FH team (=30 - 35 points profit = worth it)

In the end it was I think 38 from my normal team (so got that spot on), but just 55 or so from my FH team.

So a poor decision ultimately, although a Sanchez goal at home to Swansea would have seen it all come up roses.

Ultimately what was really poor about my decision was that what I thought were just temporary 1 week problems with my normal team ended up being long term problems that I had to use points hits to fix in later weeks (e.g. Cout injury ended up being longer than expected, my poor defence needed to be fixed with hits to get 11 players out).

I should have just taken an 8-12 point hit to get my bench in shape that week in hindsight, would have been a more profitable long term move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Worked mine out.

On the assumption Hazard gets 3BP and I captained Sterling(I would have) I'd have finished this week on 59 points. As I had no DGW players.

I currently have:

56 with 6 to play.

Worked mine out.

On the assumption Hazard gets 3BP and I captained Sterling(I would have) I'd have finished this week on 59 points. As I had no DGW players.

I currently have:

56 with 6 to play.

Surely you would have signed a dgw player to captain and would you have taken hits . This is where it gets complicated as you cant compare it to the team you finished last gw with. It has to be to the team you would have had starting this gw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

If I didn't take hits and just brought in Kane I'd be on 30 with Kane to play. Only 9 players fielded.

Now I'm on 44(-12) with 4 to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Surely you would have signed a dgw player to captain and would you have taken hits . This is where it gets complicated as you cant compare it to the team you finished last gw with. It has to be to the team you would have had starting this gw.

I haven't replied for this very reason.

Not even I know what I would have done as deadline approached.

They only thing I know is that the FH meant I wasn't TC'ing Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Markx

I think the value of FH is not only in the week you play it but also (and perhaps more so) in all the transfers you don't spend that you otherwise would have setting yourself for that week.

Even if you can use a wildcard to bail yourself out of a DGW or SGW that doesn't help with the lead up. You are no longer compromising yourself for several weeks beforehand.

For example last season I held on to Phillips among others for way too long in the lead up to the SGW. Also I was irrationally trying to shoehorn in West Brom, Everton and Bournemouth players for about a month which I wouldn't have done that if I had intended on playing a free hit. It kinda messed up the end of the season for me.

I’d guess FH is worth a lot more than 25 points on the basis of those transfers. But, since it’s almost intractable to work out the value of even 1 transfer (as it turns into a massive decision tree over the rest of the season) who knows.

Markx wrote: »
    I think the value of FH is not only in the week you play it but also (and perhaps more so) in all the transfers you don't spend that you otherwise would have setting yourself for that week.

Even if you can use a wildcard to bail yourself out of a DGW or SGW that doesn't help with the lead up. You are no longer compromising yourself for several weeks beforehand.

For example last season I held on to Phillips among others for way too long in the lead up to the SGW. Also I was irrationally trying to shoehorn in West Brom, Everton and Bournemouth players for about a month which I wouldn't have done that if I had intended on playing a free hit. It kinda messed up the end of the season for me.

I’d guess FH is worth a lot more than 25 points on the basis of those transfers. But, since it’s almost intractable to work out the value of even 1 transfer (as it turns into a massive decision tree over the rest of the season) who knows.

Ye that's very true. It is best if you commit to it a bit out. With this gw for example no need to get Wh players in weeks before, you could have sold Kane in gw21 for a 1 week punt.

If I hadn't done the free hit, I'm pretty sure I would have taken a -8 for Adrian and Aguero. My fts were Hazard and RLC to Son and Arnie. Salah, Dummett, Kenny didn't start.

Current team: 35(-8) with 5 to go

FH team has 58 with 6 to go.

Looks like a resounding success so far.

So far so good with my free hit.

I would have used my ft and a hit to get kane for Morata.

Current team 52 (-4) with Kane to play

FH Team 59 with 6 to play

I would agree that 25 points eould be the make or break point for it should get another 12 at least so need another 6 points, scoreless draw please.

Ye that's very true. It is best if you commit to it a bit out. With this gw for example no need to get Wh players in weeks before, you could have sold Kane in gw21 for a 1 week punt.

Markx is spot on. And yeah committing to FH in advance gives you more scope to benefit, which I did.

However in this case getting Arnautovic in early would have been very beneficial (9, 7, 15 on lead in to the DGW) and sadly in my case I sold Kane for gw19 for a 3 week punt on DeBruyne who did feck all.

Still happy with the free hit, and despite missing the Kane hattricks I'm flying up the rankings.

The best stab I can have at what my non FH team would have been this weeks is:

Pope 2
    Cresswell 7
    Jones 6
    Alonso 7
    KdB 12
    Alli 8
    Sterling 9
    Salah 0
    Arnie 5
    Kane TC 3
    Depoitre 1
    Total 60points

That would have been for a -8 and would also have meant I didnt get Otamendi last week with my FT which would have cost me another 5 points. I'd only have Niasse 1 pointer to sub in for Salah, or I might have sold Salah for Son for another -4 (which I am glad I didnt do).

Plus I'd have a few players that I don't want.

So nett score from not playing Free Hit (so far) would be 60-8-5+1=48points with 4 to play (incl Cresswell).

Free Hit score 68 with 6 to play (incl Cresswell).

KDB is the hero of the non Free Hit team, if for some reason I'd sold him that team would have been a disaster, and I'd have used my TC on a DGW player who only played once (although Kane could still come good as TC tonight IMO)

But so far I am up approx 20 points. That will reduce if Kane hauls, but I hope he does as it will still benefit my score this week.

The best stab I can have at what my non FH team would have been this weeks is:

Pope 2
    Cresswell 7
    Jones 6
    Alonso 7
    KdB 12
    Alli 8
    Sterling 9
    Salah 0
    Arnie 5
    Kane TC 3
    Depoitre 1
    Total 60points

That would have been for a -8 and would also have meant I didnt get Otamendi last week with my FT which would have cost me another 5 points. I'd only have Niasse 1 pointer to sub in for Salah, or I might have sold Salah for Son for another -4 (which I am glad I didnt do).

Plus I'd have a few players that I don't want.

So nett score from not playing Free Hit (so far) would be 60-8-5+1=48points with 4 to play (incl Cresswell).

Free Hit score 68 with 6 to play (incl Cresswell).

KDB is the hero of the non Free Hit team, if for some reason I'd sold him that team would have been a disaster, and I'd have used my TC on a DGW player who only played once (although Kane could still come good as TC tonight IMO)

But so far I am up approx 20 points. That will reduce if Kane hauls, but I hope he does as it will still benefit my score this week.
    Yeah, I haven’t calced it out yet but with Klavan, Hazard, KDB and Sterling in my original team (Sterling was in my free hit team too) I’d have still done well this week.

But on 65 with Adrian, Cresswell, Arnautovic, Alli, Eriksen, Kane (c) tonight, I can’t see how I’m not gonna end up much better off than I would have been otherwise.

Still clinging onto hopes of hitting the 100 mark, and I’ve likely not given away too much to the treble captainers all at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Okay, time to analyse the success of the free hit.

Non-Free Hit Team:

The below is what I would have had this week with automatic subs taken into account. Speroni, Salah and Robertson didn't play. Naughton was suspended.

Pickford | 2

Christensen | 2
    Ogbonna | 4
    Dunk | 1

Hazard | 10
    Sterling | 9
    Arnautovic | 5
    Zaha | 2

Kane (TC) | 9
    Morata | 2
    Calvert-Lewin | 1

Total = 47 points including triple captain, no points hit.

Free Hit Team:

Adrian | 6

Otamendi | 2
    Ogbonna | 4
    Maguire | 6

Son | 12
    Eriksen | 8
    Sterling | 9
    Arnautovic | 5
    Mahrez | 14

Kane (C) | 6
    Aguero | 6

Total = 78.

So overall, a 31 point difference. Despite the many disappointments throughout the gameweek, it has to go down as a success.

Only real regret is that if I had known De Bruyne was going to play, I'd have gone with him instead of Eriksen and Vertonghen instead of Otamendi (as I had that lined up provisionally before the end of the Palace v City game), which would have netted me an extra 11 points, but I don't think any of us could have realistically expected him to start.

I would consider the free hit team a success coming in with 80 points.

Normal team ended on 54.

Most importantly i took the lead in my work pay league by 20 points where my main rival TC Kane

• Advertisement
Advertisement