Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Gameweek/Blank Gameweek planning

2456742

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar


    Green&Red wrote: »
    There you go, we all see it differently. My original point was that there is a herd mentality surrounding the DGW that is all based on the assumption that Spurs will be playing well. If we flip that assumption (which is the way the facts are currently pointing us) then we have a different narrative

    There is a huge difference between arguing that Spurs are not playing well (a strong argument) and stating that players will be rested for one of the DGW games (weak argument at best) or that Arsenal have no European commitments (factually incorrect).

    If Spurs continue their current form they are only a moderately attractive proposition for the DGW, if they improve again then Kane v swa, WHU as a TC option is as good as it gets. The man has 10 goals in 14 games after all.

    I actually don't think there is a herd mentality this issue. Most of the comment about the DGW usually involve some reference to Spurs needing to improve again.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red


    When I say Arsenal have no European games to worry about I'm assuming that the Europa League wont be as pressing as it was last year for United. It will be more like Spurs and Liverpool the two previous seasons.

    I would think one of Eriksen or Alli being rested is incredibly likely given Son and Lamella are both available to come in as attacking players. 48 hours is a very short length of time


    But as you say if Kane is at the form he was at the end of last year he is worth a TC.
    I do think you're missing the point around the overall benefit of the TC as opposed to the free hit.
    You have to balance either the transfer costs or the money sitting on your bench for GW21 and the TC points versus the additional points in GW21, the three West Ham players and Kane regular captain points.

    IMO the free hit is a stronger chip than the TC so at some stage in the future these benefits will be flipped but with more DGW teams you have a better chance of putting together a stronger team that you'd be happy to hold onto. At the moment I don't want any Spurs players and I never see myself wanting any West Ham players


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar


    Green&Red wrote: »
    When I say Arsenal have no European games to worry about I'm assuming that the Europa League wont be as pressing as it was last year for United. It will be more like Spurs and Liverpool the two previous seasons.

    I would think one of Eriksen or Alli being rested is incredibly likely given Son and Lamella are both available to come in as attacking players. 48 hours is a very short length of time


    But as you say if Kane is at the form he was at the end of last year he is worth a TC.
    I do think you're missing the point around the overall benefit of the TC as opposed to the free hit.
    You have to balance either the transfer costs or the money sitting on your bench for GW21 and the TC points versus the additional points in GW21, the three West Ham players and Kane regular captain points.

    IMO the free hit is a stronger chip than the TC so at some stage in the future these benefits will be flipped but with more DGW teams you have a better chance of putting together a stronger team that you'd be happy to hold onto. At the moment I don't want any Spurs players and I never see myself wanting any West Ham players

    You might want to check how seriously Liverpool took it in 2015/16! They fielded reserve sides in the league from the EL QF onwards.

    There are 6 teams looking for 4 CL places this year. Its not inconceivable that come March Arsenal are 6th and need to win the EL to get into the CL.

    As for TC v Free Hit, I would have thought most would be looking at this DGW as a viable TC option rather than a Free Hit option, especially if they already own Kane. The Free Hit (assuming Kane is owned) really only gives Eriksen/Alli and Lloris/Vertonghen as realistic options along with 3 (very unattractive) West Ham players.

    I think there is a strong argument to play the TC chip in a small DGW as you really only need your captain to perform. The Free Hit (for anyone who has it) can then be used in a DGW with more teams, giving the possibility of having the elusive 11 DGWers - or at least better options than Moysies boys!

    EDIT: If Kane is out of form I'd personally hold both chips and just regular captain him (unless I knew who the nailed on starters were for Man City, which I won't!)


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man


    I'm treating this a bit like my Christmas shopping - I'll figure it out at the last minute :pac:

    Seriously though gw22 I'll probably get Kane and TC him and maybe leave it at that. Might get a West Ham cheapie like Masuaku if he's still first choice


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red


    Theres also an argument for using your free hit on a slim week and maximising your score when others are scoring low


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba


    Green&Red wrote: »
    Theres also an argument for using your free hit on a slim week and maximising your score when others are scoring low


    My most likely use of it. Saves the stress and obvious negative impact on points by getting in and keeping your Swansea/Newcastle/Stoke players just for that week. You can now ignore it and focus on building a strong team


  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79


    Sanchez will be at man city for theDGWs


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer


    km79 wrote: »
    Sanchez will be at man city for theDGWs

    Don't think Davidson would start ahead of Otamendi and Stones :pac:


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    km79 wrote: »
    Sanchez will be at man city for theDGWs

    Could very well be but so will Aguero, Jesus, KDB, Sane and Sterling. And the rest.

    They could also have the league more or less wrapped up and be focused on Europe.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts


    What's happened with the Liverpool lineup for today's game is what has me thinking gw22 could be good for free hit. In this circumstance you get in coutinho and firmino and you can be sure similar things will happen at other teams. You can sell Kane for gw21 and get in 3 spurs for gw22 with no hits.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Missing Links


    How things change...one or two West Ham players could be a temping proposition for GW22.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC


    Free Hit 22 nailed for me. Committed after my transfers for this week.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red


    How things change...one or two West Ham players could be a temping proposition for GW22.

    Going back to my original argument for using the free hit that weekend, Spurs are still terrible, Kane and Alli have blanked in three out of the last four GWs.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko


    For me I'm split between using the Free Hit chip or not because I really want to take out Kane this gw. GW22 is not a bad week to use it at all but I'm thinking a GW where 10 teams may be playing would represent better value. I'm torn ATM.


  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79


    @BenCrellin: Updated GW28 Blank probabilities.
    There's roughly a 40% chance that the League Cup final will also be a GW28 fixture (ARS vs MCI or MUN vs CHE), in which case the only teams who'd blank would be the two finalists.
    (I'll post another update after the Semifinal draw tomorrow night) https://twitter.com/BenCrellin/status/943262049223827457/photo/1


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan


    https://twitter.com/BenCrellin/status/943265401793929217

    In another tweet he says "The carnage of Blank GW28 will pale in comparison to the arid wasteland that will be Blank GW31" :P

    I really don't think it is wise to blow the Free Hit chip in GW22.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts


    ScummyMan wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BenCrellin/status/943265401793929217

    In another tweet he says "The carnage of Blank GW28 will pale in comparison to the arid wasteland that will be Blank GW31" :P

    I really don't think it is wise to blow the Free Hit chip in GW22.

    Let's say its Bournemouth west brom ,Huddersfield palace and swansea Southampton that goes ahead all you need is a couple of defenders and a couple of the captain options. I'm backing away from the FH in gw 22 myself now as I'm planning on possibly using the FH in gw35 it will also be a blank because of semi finals when less games will be cancelled so more decent teams should have a game. The FH has a lot of potential in gw 22 and I still may use it depending on team selections in gw 21.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red


    Given Spurs form I think I'll look at just Eriksen or Son as C and maybe a west ham defender


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC


    Let's say its Bournemouth west brom ,Huddersfield palace and swansea Southampton that goes ahead all you need is a couple of defenders and a couple of the captain options. I'm backing away from the FH in gw 22 myself now as I'm planning on possibly using the FH in gw35 it will also be a blank because of semi finals when less games will be cancelled so more decent teams should have a game. The FH has a lot of potential in gw 22 and I still may use it depending on team selections in gw 21.

    I'll be having a closer look at the later dgw scenarios. Agree completely about blank gw31, not gonna be any great advantage in free hit there if it's a major wipeout, I think a lot of people are overlooking that.

    But dgw34-bgw35-dgw37 could be tricky....early free hitters will be hoping for a very limited blank in 35


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭sheroman01


    A rested Kane in this sort of form in a DGW against two poor teams - it has to be TC time ...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33


    Yep. And Son in for Groß, and Masuaku in for a little insurance in case of a Kane fail. Three DGWers for no hits, keeping my City and Pool attackers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭sheroman01


    Never thought of Son until it was mentioned here today. I'm thinking Son, Arnie and Kane in for Hazard, KDB and Lukaku for a -4. Have Chelsea cover in Christy and city cover in Sterling. Plus I have Ogbonna for 4 dgw'ers


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭normanoffside


    Trippier out this week for a premium defender then Kane and Alli in next week for Hazard and Lukaku/Kun.
    That would leave me with Kane Alli and Arnie for the double.

    P.S. Don't ask why I don't have Kane :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18


    sheroman01 wrote:
    A rested Kane in this sort of form in a DGW against two poor teams - it has to be TC time ...

    48 hours between games though, so I'm not sure what sort of rotation we'll get


  • Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting


    titan18 wrote: »
    48 hours between games though, so I'm not sure what sort of rotation we'll get

    Kane should play at least 150 minutes given the fact he'll probably be rested for the FA Cup tie against Wimbledon a few days later.


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭CSF


    sheroman01 wrote: »
    Never thought of Son until it was mentioned here today. I'm thinking Son, Arnie and Kane in for Hazard, KDB and Lukaku for a -4. Have Chelsea cover in Christy and city cover in Sterling. Plus I have Ogbonna for 4 dgw'ers
    Surely Lamela starts one of those DGW games.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy


    Kane should play at least 150 minutes given the fact he'll probably be rested for the FA Cup tie against Wimbledon a few days later.

    Bring rested a few days later doesn't take away the 48 hour gap. If he hasn't banged them in early in the first game and they're well ahead he'll be hauled off as soon as possible with 2 points to his name.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43


    If I bank my transfer this week and use my free hit for GW22, will I have 2 free transfers for GW23?


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts


    If I bank my transfer this week and use my free hit for GW22, will I have 2 free transfers for GW23?

    Almost certain its just the 1


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams


    dsmythy wrote: »
    Bring rested a few days later doesn't take away the 48 hour gap. If he hasn't banged them in early in the first game and they're well ahead he'll be hauled off as soon as possible with 2 points to his name.

    In fairness, if Spurs are well ahead, it is often because Kane is involved to some extent either through goals or assists. I would be fine with him coming off after 60 if he has got a goal and an assist tbh.


Advertisement