Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Double Gameweek/Blank Gameweek planning

  • 04-12-2017 10:30am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 38,801 ✭✭✭✭ KevIRL


    Spurs and West Ham scheduled for NYE has been moved to Jan 4th meaning that the two teams have a BGW 21 and a DGW 22.

    Spurs double is Swansea (a) and West Ham (h)
    West Ham have WBA (h) and Spurs (a)

    The availability of the second WC adds an extra dimension to this one from a strategy point of view.

    Now where did I leave that free hit chip?....


«13456742

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭ Father Hernandez


    Will probably be steerling clear of West Ham players for the whole season but those 2 fixtures for Kane look tasty.

    Think that his influenced my decision to keep him and not dump just yet. He'll come good.

    Eriksen to come in for that GW22 also tempting.

    If he manages a bit of form, Kane TC wouldn't be the maddest thing in the world for the DGW


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭ ScummyMan


    I already cannot wait to be disappointed by Kane when I triple captain him for that GW.


  • Registered Users Posts: 31,209 ✭✭✭✭ CSF


    Another reason to keep Kane throughout the Christmas period. Will bank the transfer in 21 and have 2 freebies to bring in 2 Spurs players in GW22. Very unlikely I will touch West Ham.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭ Iused2likebusts


    2 day turnaround makes it much less attractive


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭ Iused2likebusts


    Could be a good week for the free hit. As its a 2 day turnaround for a lot of teams. The city striker and mid that doesn't play 2 days before , same with Liverpool etc, Chelsea play arsenal away so take out their players. Get in lloris and verthonghen who won't be rotated.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,801 ✭✭✭✭ KevIRL


    2 day turnaround makes it much less attractive

    Agree. Kane and Eriksen the only real DGW candidates for me atm.


  • Registered Users Posts: 31,209 ✭✭✭✭ CSF


    KevIRL wrote: »
    2 day turnaround makes it much less attractive

    Agree. Kane and Eriksen the only real DGW candidates for me atm.
    Lloris


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭ Morzadec


    Could be a good week for the free hit. As its a 2 day turnaround for a lot of teams. The city striker and mid that doesn't play 2 days before , same with Liverpool etc, Chelsea play arsenal away so take out their players. Get in lloris and verthonghen who won't be rotated.

    There's logic in that but I think it would be risky.

    It's been hard to predict who gets rested from teams this year, if it was easy I'd agree with you


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭ Cartman78


    Has to be Andy Carroll TC :pac::pac::pac:

    Guaranteed 12 point return unless he gets booked or sent off


  • Registered Users Posts: 38,801 ✭✭✭✭ KevIRL


    Spurs drawn home to AFC Wimbledon in the cup. Game will be on the weekend following the DGW. Every chance Kane, eriksen et Al start the DGW games and rest the cup match imo.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭ FHFC


    Could be a good week for the free hit. As its a 2 day turnaround for a lot of teams. The city striker and mid that doesn't play 2 days before , same with Liverpool etc, Chelsea play arsenal away so take out their players. Get in lloris and verthonghen who won't be rotated.

    This was the scenario I expected free hit to be best for. But if Kane and Spurs recover some form, which they should, Kane TC will be hard to pass up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭ alchemist33


    Surely there will be blankier blank weeks than this, with more than two teams missing out? Although it could prove hard to use all your chips in maximal fashion. It might be Kane TC for me too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭ FHFC




  • Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭ FHFC


    Surely there will be blankier blank weeks than this, with more than two teams missing out? Although it could prove hard to use all your chips in maximal fashion. It might be Kane TC for me too.

    The Free Hit option would involve using the hit in the double not the blank....


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭ alchemist33


    FHFC wrote: »
    The Free Hit option would involve using the hit in the double not the blank....

    Even so, this blank/dgw doesn't seem the best week for it. Many players will have one or two Spurs players anyway and you'd probably be better off with sgw players from other clubs than WHam players.

    Edit: maybe I'm being too negative, I don't know


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭ Iused2likebusts


    Morzadec wrote: »
    There's logic in that but I think it would be risky.

    It's been hard to predict who gets rested from teams this year, if it was easy I'd agree with you

    The scenario id be thinking would be aguero starts against palace on the 30th gw 21 id be getting in jesus for watford gw 22. I also think you will be able to predict one city mid that will start. Liverpool are rotating a lot if one of salah,mane, coutinho, salah miss out against leicester on the 30th you get them in with the free hit for the burnley game. There should be one or two big hitters that are rested on the 30th if so get them in for free hit.You Could have 3 spurs kane, lloris and one other and 1 west ham player. Ill probably have 3 chelsea they are away at arsenal so could get rid of those 3 for the week. 2 watford away at city could also offload for the week. Another benefit is you can offload kane possibly in gw18 city a, burnley a , sou H , blank and spread the money knowing you can get him back for the double or just sell him for the blank when everyone else has to hold. You will also be up on people that have to take hits. Its not a definite that ill play it then but had been thinking of that week as a potential gw for it before the double was announced so this news makes it more attractive.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭ 2nd Row Donkey


    ^^^^ my heads hurtin' already


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭ Chancer3001


    Main issue for me is whether to use free hit to get in 3 spurs players....

    Or to use triple captain on kane

    I'll sell kane the week before for the blank. Then buy him back for the double


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭ FHFC


    The scenario id be thinking would be aguero starts against palace on the 30th gw 21 id be getting in jesus for watford gw 22. I also think you will be able to predict one city mid that will start. Liverpool are rotating a lot if one of salah,mane, coutinho, salah miss out against leicester on the 30th you get them in with the free hit for the burnley game. There should be one or two big hitters that are rested on the 30th if so get them in for free hit.You Could have 3 spurs kane, lloris and one other and 1 west ham player. Ill probably have 3 chelsea they are away at arsenal so could get rid of those 3 for the week. 2 watford away at city could also offload for the week. Another benefit is you can offload kane possibly in gw18 city a, burnley a , sou H , blank and spread the money knowing you can get him back for the double or just sell him for the blank when everyone else has to hold. You will also be up on people that have to take hits. Its not a definite that ill play it then but had been thinking of that week as a potential gw for it before the double was announced so this news makes it more attractive.

    Spot on analysis. First person I've seen highlighting the added advantage of the free hit to play the rotations. Hadn't thought of that.

    The only thing is that there may not be a better option for the TC this season.

    Here's a good post on it from FFS from one of the sharpest guys on there.... interested to hear your thoughts Busts.

    http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/comment/17115787


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭ Iused2likebusts


    Ye the TC also seems a good option as by waiting you don't know what will be at stake later in the season. I do think kane will play both games and with everyone captaining him you are getting a higher captain score that week than the rest. In the big dgw if would be possible to get a higher captain score than someone playing the TC as people will all be on a different captain.With possibly 5 English teams topping their groups in the CL I think a couple of them could easily make the SF this year. Arsenal would probably be the team I'd have my eye on for a TC option later in the season if I didn't go for Kane. I have to have a good think about it and what may be other strategies to pursue. For the 2 big dgws you could do what the majority do BB in one and TC in the other. I think free hit for one of the big dgws needs to be considered aswell. You could also wildcard the week of one of the big dgws . Basically you have 4 chips you can use for 2 big dgws so the other 2 have to be used somewhere else. For the majority its only 1 as they will wildcard the week before to set up BB. I've also thought of free hit for gw38 you would be taking a risk though and of course you have the blank week for free hit.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭ Iused2likebusts


    ^^^^ my heads hurtin' already

    We are only getting started.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭ FHFC


    I do think kane will play both games and with everyone captaining him you are getting a higher captain score that week than the rest. In the big dgw if would be possible to get a higher captain score than someone playing the TC as people will all be on a different captain.

    Not following you on this bit.

    My cold mathematics/logic on the TC is that all that matters come the end of the season is that you got the highest possible return from the chip, i.e. the highest score x1 that you could vs whoever everyone else played theirs on.

    Whether your triple captain score in a particular week is higher vs other people's normal (c) is irrelevant to me. It might matter if you are in a cup or playing for a monthly prize but that's always secondary to final OR for me personally.

    Assuming Kane and Spurs aren't magically broken overnight it's probably hard to see there being a better option than Kane in those 2 fixtures for probability of a 15 to 20 point hail from the TC.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭ FHFC


    I do think kane will play both games and with everyone captaining him you are getting a higher captain score that week than the rest. In the big dgw if would be possible to get a higher captain score than someone playing the TC as people will all be on a different captain.

    Not following you on this bit.

    My cold mathematics/logic on the TC is that all that matters come the end of the season is that you got the highest possible return from the chip, i.e. the highest score x1 that you could vs whoever everyone else played theirs on.

    Whether your triple captain score in a particular week is higher vs other people's normal (c) is irrelevant to me. It might matter if you are in a cup or playing for a monthly prize but that's always secondary to final OR for me personally.

    Assuming Kane and Spurs aren't magically broken overnight it's probably hard to see there being a better option than Kane in those 2 fixtures for probability of a 15 to 20 point haul from the TC.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭ Iused2likebusts


    FHFC wrote: »
    Not following you on this bit.

    My cold mathematics/logic on the TC is that all that matters come the end of the season is that you got the highest possible return from the chip, i.e. the highest score x1 that you could vs whoever everyone else played theirs on.

    Whether your triple captain score in a particular week is higher vs other people's normal (c) is irrelevant to me. It might matter if you are in a cup or playing for a monthly prize but that's always secondary to final OR for me personally.

    Assuming Kane and Spurs aren't magically broken overnight it's probably hard to see there being a better option than Kane in those 2 fixtures for probability of a 15 to 20 point hail from the TC.

    Ye it is irrelevant in the overall scheme of OR. My thinking on that chip is the exact same as you. The theory being your playing against yourself and your other captain scores.. I was just pointing out that in a dgw there maybe 3 or 4 good TC options whereas if you use it in this week its pretty much going to be everyone on Kane. The point I was making was you won't be beaten on captain score in gw22 but could be in other dgw weeks. Like when we TC Carroll . When it comes down to it I'm all on for the logic of TC is just you trying to maximise what is your best chance of getting your highest captain score of the season and playing it in that gw and I agree that Kane in this dgw has a very good chance of being that. If it fails you should still get a boost as everyone else will be on him that week anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭ Cartman78


    So it's getting near that time of year again...all the planning and preparation, the feeling that it's getting earlier & earlier every year, the anticipation, the stress, the enjoyment, the copious amounts of alcohol and the nagging sensation that it could all go spectacularly t1ts up.....Happy Christmas Folks!! :D:D:D:D

    And Happy Double-Gameweek-Planning as well :)

    I think this is what separates the obsessive FPL fanatics like ourselves from the ordinary casuals....the hours I've spent over the last couple of years planning for Blanks and DGW has played a huge part in me finishing in the top 50K twice.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭ FHFC


    Ye it is irrelevant in the overall scheme of OR. My thinking on that chip is the exact same as you. The theory being your playing against yourself and your other captain scores.. I was just pointing out that in a dgw there maybe 3 or 4 good TC options whereas if you use it in this week its pretty much going to be everyone on Kane. The point I was making was you won't be beaten on captain score in gw22 but could be in other dgw weeks. Like when we TC Carroll . When it comes down to it I'm all on for the logic of TC is just you trying to maximise what is your best chance of getting your highest captain score of the season and playing it in that gw and I agree that Kane in this dgw has a very good chance of being that. If it fails you should still get a boost as everyone else will be on him that week anyway.

    That's better. You were confusing me with that other fancy stuff..... ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,708 ✭✭✭✭ Green&Red


    FHFC wrote: »
    Spot on analysis. First person I've seen highlighting the added advantage of the free hit to play the rotations. Hadn't thought of that.

    The only thing is that there may not be a better option for the TC this season.

    Here's a good post on it from FFS from one of the sharpest guys on there.... interested to hear your thoughts Busts.

    http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/comment/17115787

    All of his rationale is based around Kane and Spurs hitting form - which currently they are not.

    A lot of the analysis is based around that which it has been all season with Spurs because everyone assumes that they will start producing.

    The case for the Free Hit can be spun in just the same way.

    Lets assume Spurs don't start producing, that they continue to limp on and play poorly at home.

    Now you are looking at a team which will have a blank
    GW21 and then most likely be rotated GW22 apart from Kane and Lloris.
    So you have the option of keeping Kane for GW21 and losing value on him and also tying up 1/8th of your funds.
    Or alternatively transferring him out and back in again - thats a -4 (and yes I know you have two free transfers but you will almost definitely at least one of those)
    Lloris - thats ok if you have him already, he can sit out one week - hes owned by 9% of the game
    Eriksen/Alli - one of them is almost certainly going to be rested for the entirety of the second game
    Son - probably the best mid to have as he is guaranteed at least one full game and probably 1.5. But who would ever have him in their team

    This is all before you consider keeping these turds for the next five weeks. Lets look at the last five weeks and group the players against similarly priced alternatives. It does not make pretty reading for Spurs

    Kane - 19
    Morata - 28
    Lukaku - 17
    Firmino - 22/4
    Jesus - 25
    Aguero - 20/4

    Alli - 12/4
    Eriksen - 17
    Salah - 56
    Sterling - 32
    Sane - 12
    Mahrez - 26
    Ramsey - 31


    Lloris - 7/4
    DDG -22
    Courtois - 24
    Cech - 23

    The case for the defense is so bad its not worth putting up

    So the case for using the free hit chip incredibly strong on that alone.
    Add in three West Ham players, who you would never touch and you can put together a team like this for the week

    Lloris

    Fonte
    Cresswell
    Zabalete

    KDB v Watford
    Sane v Watford
    Mahrez v Huddersfield
    Son

    Kane (C)
    Aguero v Watford
    Rooney v United (Just in case)

    Fair enough youre banking on West Ham getting a CS against West Brom. If Aguero isn't going to start go for Vardy and Jesus upfront with Kane


    Adding to all that I think Arsenal have a great chance of two excellent DGWs and there is only one man I would have the armband on. Arsenal have no European fixtures to worry about and will be chasing 4th hard to make up for last year. TC the f**k out of Sanchez


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭ Benimar


    Green&Red wrote: »
    All of his rationale is based around Kane and Spurs hitting form - which currently they are not.

    A lot of the analysis is based around that which it has been all season with Spurs because everyone assumes that they will start producing.

    The case for the Free Hit can be spun in just the same way.

    Lets assume Spurs don't start producing, that they continue to limp on and play poorly at home.

    Now you are looking at a team which will have a blank
    GW21 and then most likely be rotated GW22 apart from Kane and Lloris.
    So you have the option of keeping Kane for GW21 and losing value on him and also tying up 1/8th of your funds.
    Or alternatively transferring him out and back in again - thats a -4 (and yes I know you have two free transfers but you will almost definitely at least one of those)
    Lloris - thats ok if you have him already, he can sit out one week - hes owned by 9% of the game
    Eriksen/Alli - one of them is almost certainly going to be rested for the entirety of the second game
    Son - probably the best mid to have as he is guaranteed at least one full game and probably 1.5. But who would ever have him in their team

    This is all before you consider keeping these turds for the next five weeks. Lets look at the last five weeks and group the players against similarly priced alternatives. It does not make pretty reading for Spurs

    Kane - 19
    Morata - 28
    Lukaku - 17
    Firmino - 22/4
    Jesus - 25
    Aguero - 20/4

    Alli - 12/4
    Eriksen - 17
    Salah - 56
    Sterling - 32
    Sane - 12
    Mahrez - 26
    Ramsey - 31


    Lloris - 7/4
    DDG -22
    Courtois - 24
    Cech - 23

    The case for the defense is so bad its not worth putting up

    So the case for using the free hit chip incredibly strong on that alone.
    Add in three West Ham players, who you would never touch and you can put together a team like this for the week

    Lloris

    Fonte
    Cresswell
    Zabalete

    KDB v Watford
    Sane v Watford
    Mahrez v Huddersfield
    Son

    Kane (C)
    Aguero v Watford
    Rooney v United (Just in case)

    Fair enough youre banking on West Ham getting a CS against West Brom. If Aguero isn't going to start go for Vardy and Jesus upfront with Kane


    Adding to all that I think Arsenal have a great chance of two excellent DGWs and there is only one man I would have the armband on. Arsenal have no European fixtures to worry about and will be chasing 4th hard to make up for last year. TC the f**k out of Sanchez

    Disagree strongly with the two statements in bold.

    Spurs don't play for a full week before the Swansea game, and have Wimbledon in the cup after West Ham so can rest the entire team then if they like. The starters are only actually needed on Dec 26th, Jan 2nd, Jan 4th and then Jan 13th. Absolutely no reason why any of Spurs big hitters would need to be rested for either Swansea or West Ham.

    Arsenal do have European fixtures to worry about. They could easily find themselves having to do a 'Man U' and having to win the Europa League to get CL football next season, so depending on the timing of the DGWs they could be concentrating on Europe.

    Oh, and its not even a guarantee Sanchez will be at Arsenal on Feb 1st!


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,708 ✭✭✭✭ Green&Red


    There you go, we all see it differently. My original point was that there is a herd mentality surrounding the DGW that is all based on the assumption that Spurs will be playing well. If we flip that assumption (which is the way the facts are currently pointing us) then we have a different narrative


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭ eoghan104


    Green&Red wrote: »
    There you go, we all see it differently. My original point was that there is a herd mentality surrounding the DGW that is all based on the assumption that Spurs will be playing well. If we flip that assumption (which is the way the facts are currently pointing us) then we have a different narrative
    Super post well done.

    I am in the herd assuming Spurs will be grand but your argument is more reasonable based on current form.


Advertisement