Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katy French

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Drug addict died due to drugs, what is the shock here? Why are people talking about her? She was no different to the homeless junkie on the street the likes of her and her friends looked down on.

Do people genuinely not get how the media and tabloids work, or are they being intentionally ignorant to prove some kind of point? If a celebrity dies unexpectedly, they are going to receive a high volume of coverage versus Mr Joe Bloggs from down the road who is not in the public eye. Just like the wall-to-wall coverage of Prince Harry and Ms Markle, versus Mike and Sara next door who got engaged at the weekend. Or like Gerry Ryan, etc. So to that extent no, Katy wasn't just like any other homeless junkie, she was one of Ireland's biggest models and frequented the tabloids literally every day right up to the day that she passed away.

It's hard to believe she was just 24 when she died. I was about 22 at the time so just how young she was didn't really register at the time. 10 years later though - god 24 is a baby. Lord knows what kind of sh1t I was up to at 24. She seemed so much older at the time, both in looks and in interviews - I'd have put her at early 30s. But she really was so young and navigating such a weird, mental environment, a bombardment of media attention, cameras on all aspects of her life, hanging out with much older people, intermingling with this seedy underworld of older men, battling addiction. At the end of the day she took a big risk and that's the reason she's not here today, but god the crap we all get up to in our early 20s. You think you're invincible, you don't think you're ever at risk of anything major, death is just this abstract concept that you never imagine you're vulnerable to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Strange thread. Posters are trying to figure out why Katy French's death was widely publicised and other drug users death's weren't. Well, maybe because she was a 24 year model that was plastered all over the media and she ended up dying from an overdose. How could anyone be surprised that it was a big story at the time? Downplay her celebrity status if you want but she was everywhere. Constantly in the papers, mainly doing modelling shoots. I even remember her being on 'The Podge and Rodge Show'!
    Other people then on their high horse calling her a junkie? Each to their own but the girl wasn't a monster. What happened was sad. Not much else to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I had never heard of her before she died - not to say that others hadn't, obviously they had. But I just don't understand the ongoing media furore about her, a decade later. She was a minor local celeb at best. She died of a drug overdose. It's not like she was murdered horribly, or died of a terrible disease, or disappeared mysteriously and was never found. She OD'd at a party. Just let it go!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You can't amass that much wealth without state protection

Collateral damage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I see Brunker is in the papers again talking about French. She never seems to be in the papers because of her own talent :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wheety wrote: »
    I see Brunker is in the papers again talking about French. She never seems to be in the papers because of her own talent :rolleyes:

There are no music festivals on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭50HX

Brunker....talent.......LOL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I had never heard of her before she died - not to say that others hadn't, obviously they had. But I just don't understand the ongoing media furore about her, a decade later. She was a minor local celeb at best. She died of a drug overdose. It's not like she was murdered horribly, or died of a terrible disease, or disappeared mysteriously and was never found. She OD'd at a party. Just let it go!

She would have been well known on the social scene and friends of a lot of journos, I'd guess a lot of them would still remember her and her death

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I still think she was made up to sell newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

She would have been well known on the social scene and friends of a lot of journos, I'd guess a lot of them would still remember her and her death

Remember away. No need to remind everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

50HX wrote: »

:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well no one's being forced to read it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

50HX wrote: »

Now, now...she has two big talents.....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

You're complaining about the coverage of the anniversary of her death while posting in a thread about the anniversary of her death.
    If you didn't want to be reminded you know what to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Weekly sport would suit her

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Now, now...she has two big talents....

Had.

RIP, boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Had.

RIP, boobs.

Would have thought her overall success at tit reduction wasn't that successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

anna080 wrote: »
    You're complaining about the coverage of the anniversary of her death while posting in a thread about the anniversary of her death.
    If you didn't want to be reminded you know what to do..

Not once did I complain. I haven’t seen any article or link. Just this thread.
    I’m not bothered in the slightest, I just replied to a comment.
    That ok with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Had.

RIP, boobs.

Dawson_Crying.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Watched 31 seconds of that clip.
    She’s got some leather neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Brunker sickens my hole. She has an opinion on absolutely everything. Anything that ever happened to anyone, it happened to her first. Even the Weinstien controversy, she had to weigh in on that because of course she was in a similar situation.

A no talent never was. And the rags that give her air time are worse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Like someone else said, I never registered how young she was. I was 16 in 2007, so she seemed much older to me. I wasn't (and still amn't) a fan of celebrity culture or gossip pages, but I think her death was a bit shocking because she was everywhere in the media just beforehand. Like 7 days earlier, she was being interviewed on Tubridy Tonight; 3 days earlier her over-the-top birthday celebrations were splashed across the papers and they were promo-ing upcoming articles by and about her...and then suddenly, she's in a coma and dies. No-one expected that. She was 24 and, for some people, an up-and-coming star.

I do think the fawning coverage afterwards was ridiculous and a bit hypocritical considering how drug addicts are usually written about. (The anniversary articles are even worse). No-one forced her to take drugs. But it was still shocking and a terrible waste of a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Brunker sickens my hole. She has an opinion on absolutely everything. Anything that ever happened to anyone, it happened to her first. Even the Weinstien controversy, she had to weigh in on that because of course she was in a similar situation.

A no talent never was. And the rags that give her air time are worse

She said similar happened to her but there's no point going to the Guards or naming her abuser. :rolleyes:

Anyone can make (up) a claim like that if they're not wiling to take it any further than their newspaper column.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Like someone else said, I never registered how young she was. I was 16 in 2007, so she seemed much older to me. I wasn't (and still amn't) a fan of celebrity culture or gossip pages, but I think her death was a bit shocking because she was everywhere in the media just beforehand. Like 7 days earlier, she was being interviewed on Tubridy Tonight; 3 days earlier her over-the-top birthday celebrations were splashed across the papers and they were promo-ing upcoming articles by and about her...and then suddenly, she's in a coma and dies. No-one expected that. She was 24 and, for some people, an up-and-coming star.

I do think the fawning coverage afterwards was ridiculous and a bit hypocritical considering how drug addicts are usually written about. (The anniversary articles are even worse). No-one forced her to take drugs. But it was still shocking and a terrible waste of a life.

“Stars” generally have a talent. Standing on Grafton St/Stephens Green isn’t a talent.

Advertisement