Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katy French

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

A little bit of respect for the dead would be nice. It's not like she was a mass-murderer or a paedophile or whatever.

A grade A hypocrite though....going off giving interviews to papers telling everyone to not take drugs coz they bad and she at them herself

I've no problem with anyone taking drugs/enjoying emselves (it's life,none of us getting our alive anywayz)...

.but to outright tell people not to do x when you do it yourself is wrong

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Genuine question: was she really that big before she died or was it her death that gave her her "name"? I honestly had not heard of her before she died but maybe that was just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Genuine question: was she really that big before she died or was it her death that gave her her "name"? I honestly had not heard of her before she died but maybe that was just me.

She was a socialite more than anything else really.

Katy French was a young woman who loved the limelight. That was her life it seemed and sure what of it. There is something about this thread that reminds me of the one asking us if we hate Conor Mcgregor. None of us are perfect and we all make choices which affect our lives and those around us. Why the scorn for these people? Live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Actually this post reminds me of an article I read at the time about 2 other people who died from drugs the same week as KF and barely a mention of it, only difference was they were poor people.

Yes I think it was the same night that Katy French took the cocaine. One of the lads that died lived in the same estate as me in Waterford, he was a couple of years younger than me and I didn’t know him at all but it was very sad.

The cocaine they took was from the same batch that Katy French took.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They are all different types of crimes,but one thing paedophiles,mass murderers and junkies have in common is they all cause untold misery for people

It takes a weird mindset to conflate that 3rd grouping with the first two. The vast majority of recreational drug users cause zero harm to others, something that could never be said for the former. They're vastly different crimes, and not really worthy of comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Amirani wrote: »
    The vast majority of recreational drug users cause zero harm to others,... .

All drug users who buy from dealers do immense damage to others caught up in the warfare around drugs. Thousands of innocents die every year from the fighting around it. Just look at the drug wars in Mexico.

In Ireland Shane Geoghan, Donna Cleary and that plumbers apprentice are 3 totally innocent people murdered around drugs here.

So yes, recreational drug users cause huge damage to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Greybottle wrote: »
    All drug users who buy from dealers do immense damage to others caught up in the warfare around drugs. Thousands of innocents die every year from the fighting around it. Just look at the drug wars in Mexico.

In Ireland Shane Geoghan, Donna Cleary and that plumbers apprentice are 3 totally innocent people murdered around drugs here.

Sounds like a good argument for legalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Presumably when a member of your family die you bemoan the rest of the family for not thinking of all the people that died in Africa that day?

Very strange thing to say to another poster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The original Vogue Williams

I thought that said vadge williams

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Very much indirectly. Do you not see the difference between actively causing harm via mass murder/pedophilia and potentially indirectly causing crime via recreational drug use?

Similar argument can be made against a lot of things. People buying diamond rings contributed to the illicit/blood diamond trade. Those who buy fast fashion have contributed to child slavery in South East Asia etc. Not saying there's no upstream impact, but the two are massively different.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Why are the paper even interviewing that toe rag..

Rag of a paper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

48 years old and he comes across as some immature clown.

The Wolf. FFS....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭droidman123

Amirani wrote: »
    It takes a weird mindset to conflate that 3rd grouping with the first two. The vast majority of recreational drug users cause zero harm to others, something that could never be said for the former. They're vastly different crimes, and not really worthy of comparison.
    I wasnt comparing the actual crimes,i was comparing the impact they had

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

A lot of far less willing people have died due to the cocaine trade, most of whom don't get much attention.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Do you have a phone? If so you are contributing to untold misery in Congo where children are forced to dig for minerals used in the various gadgets on offer in the developed world.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,754 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They are all different types of crimes,but one thing paedophiles,mass murderers and junkies have in common is they all cause untold misery for people

It is a huge leap to make a foolish young woman the Irish equivalent of Savile or Manson.

Everybody makes mistakes. Some make bigger mistakes than others & pay with their lives. It doesn't warrant the callousness & bile though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Why are the paper even interviewing that toe rag..

Rag of a paper..

According to the article he called them. I mean..wtf?!

Whatever about people wanting to be in the limelight or a "celebrity", if you're a model or a reality TV "star" it's in your interests to stay in the public eye. But to be famous for having provided the coke that somebody ODed on and want to be known for that...the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭droidman123

It is a huge leap to make a foolish young woman the Irish equivalent of Savile or Manson.

Everybody makes mistakes. Some make bigger mistakes than others & pay with their lives. It doesn't warrant the callousness & bile though.

I repeat,i did NOT compare the sevarity.of the actual crimes,i compared the end results,they all cause misery somewhere along the line (no pun intended)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah I hadn't heard her of either. I do remember people being shocked that she died from taking cocaine. 24 year old model takes cocaine shocker... it was sad and all but was in the papers for ages after.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I've next to zero interest in celebrity culture and probably couldn't pick an Oscar winner out of a lineup but she was fairly well known.

OT This Wolf character seems like an enormous prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Autochange wrote: »
    What is drugs?

Oh baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Poor girl put it all out there trying to break into the paid celebrity industry.
    It all went horribly horribly wrong for her very quickly but too late as she had already descended into drug addiction and she paid the ultimate price.
    Other z list celebrities who we thankfully don’t have to tolerate any more like her then boyfriend Marcus whatever and her friend “man about town” Lamb Murphy and Twink and Rosanna Davidson (yuch) all fed off her corpse for a few weeks and her family have had to learn to live without her.
    Joe Duffy eked a few shows out of it too.
    Poor little girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'm sure there are Ecstasy and Cocaine casualties who've gambled on taking the stuff because they've been drinking first which has impaired their judgement, people screw up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I met her at a charity thing, she made me tea.
    I also met Kathryn Thomas at a charity thing, she did not make me tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Anthony Campbell was the chap's name. Out doing a day's work. Some reward. Drug dealers are filth.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Bull**** radar;

“My dad stood by me during the whole Katy French thing. He was very good, he was. He ran a massive firm — transport, logistics and recycling. I’m running my own company now. “

His fathers firm is and always was a small family haulage firm with 2 or 3 trucks, has always been that size. His brother who runs it is a very decent and professional man, very different to this clown. To be honest I would doubt that he has his own business at all.

The fact he needs to lie about non relevant things like this really shows how insecure he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

This is a disreputable thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

She had a beauty that suggested itself as emanating from an infinity within. She seemed to believe anything was possible and her smile convinced you, for an instant, that she was right. I wanted her dreams to come true.

The old saw has it wrong: those who volunteer to act out our fantasies in public are both fools and angels. Driven by longing beyond knowing, their folly arises from a failure of awareness, experience, wisdom.
    Driven by angelic recall, they plod on clay feet into the mire of three-dimensional reality. They do not know, are not conscious, that their appetites are infinitely greater than the world's capacity to satisfy them.

Katy French was a personification of our fantasies, of our sense of what we were becoming, of how we might unfold ourselves. She was not the only one, but in the immediate past was perhaps the most spectacular light on the skyline, a meteorite of desire plummeting through the Irish zeitgeist.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/dreams-die-with-death-of-katy-1.990174

Any excuse for me to share this tripe is welcome.

Advertisement