Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Jam European Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hardly an Irish stadium date with the Who was planned but abandoned after the ticket sales for the London gig was so low ???

Well the London show was never billed as European Exclusive before yesterday, so something has happened on the Who front either way.

Mushy wrote: »
    Well the London show was never billed as European Exclusive before yesterday, so something has happened on the Who front either way.

They're apparently having difficulty selling it Mushy. With this new 'dynamic pricing' in operation, seats that were £150 when the gig went on-sale are now £80-£90 just two weeks later from the same source.

'European Exclusive' could be just a way of trying to boost ticket sales for Wembley. It wouldn't have to mean that this is The Who's only European date, it could just mean that this line-up with Eddie Vedder and the Kaiser Chiefs is a 'European Exclusive'. Depends on the way it's worded I guess, but unless The Who say/publish the words 'We are only playing one date in Europe this Summer', Id be wary of what 'European Exclusive' means and how it is used to promote a date which isn't selling to expectations.

Looking at the Ticketmaster page now, it's advertising Wembley as a "huge one-off show with more support to be announced". Yeah - The Who are going to be playing more dates in Europe this year, however this one day festival the promoters are trying to build will be the exclusive, the one-off. IMO anyway.

Hopefully if Eddie plays Ireland it will be as headliner on his own show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They're apparently having difficulty selling it Mushy. With this new 'dynamic pricing' in operation, seats that were £150 when the gig went on-sale are now £80-£90 just two weeks later from the same source.

'European Exclusive' could be just a way of trying to boost ticket sales for Wembley. It wouldn't have to mean that this is The Who's only European date, it could just mean that this line-up with Eddie Vedder and the Kaiser Chiefs is a 'European Exclusive'. Depends on the way it's worded I guess, but unless The Who say/publish the words 'We are only playing one date in Europe this Summer', Id be wary of what 'European Exclusive' means and how it is used to promote a date which isn't selling to expectations.

Looking at the Ticketmaster page now, it's advertising Wembley as a "huge one-off show with more support to be announced". Yeah - The Who are going to be playing more dates in Europe this year, however this one day festival the promoters are trying to build will be the exclusive, the one-off. IMO anyway.

Hopefully if Eddie plays Ireland it will be as headliner on his own show.

Hadn't thought of it like that, my view was that it was The Who European exclusive show. I really don't think having that line-up as an exclusive will attract many to travel from abroad, particularly at the prices they charged. It's still £212 for front of pitch seats...insanity.

That last line...always the dream scenario. Maybe if he was headlining a one day festival type thing here, that'd work well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yeah "Exclusive European Show" could mean a lot of things..

Any fans who paid £150 must be annoyed.. Won't get fooled again..

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Suckit wrote: »
    Yeah "Exclusive European Show" could mean a lot of things..

Any fans who paid £150 must be annoyed.. Won't get fooled again..

Its crazy..your biggest and most loyal fans are the ones who will buy on release day but you know what lets just charge them double for that loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Its crazy..your biggest and most loyal fans are the ones who will buy on release day but you know what lets just charge them double for that loyalty.

Its not about hitting loyal fans hard knowing they'll buy day one, its about reacting to market demands, and finding the right price point that supply satisfies demand, and vice versa. They set the price, its up to the consumer to accept it. If they're happy at that price, then so be it. If theres huge demand prices can rise, so its a two way street. Airlines use dynamic pricing all the time and we all suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hoboo wrote: »
    Its not about hitting loyal fans hard knowing they'll buy day one, its about reacting to market demands, and finding the right price point that supply satisfies demand, and vice versa. They set the price, its up to the consumer to accept it. If they're happy at that price, then so be it. If theres huge demand prices can rise, so its a two way street. Airlines use dynamic pricing all the time and we all suck it up.

Its about screwing as much money out of the fans as possible ,simple as .
    Airlines use dynamic pricing all the time and we all suck it up.

They do but like most models they operate in in reverse.
    The price is low initially then rises as the dates become nearer.
    Dynamic concert pricing works in reverse ,the price is high initially then it drops as the dates get closer.
    Its a stupid model and the public will soon cop onto it.
    Buy late and you will pay less for better seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

They do but like most models they operate in in reverse.
    The price is low initially then rises as the dates become nearer.

I don't mean to be pedantic but that really isn't the case, I travel a lot and am always tracking prices and the "always buy flights as early as possible" rule that a lot of people buy into isn't true at all. Flights go up and down hugely and zigzag constantly, even as close to a few days beforehand so it's not really a good comparison.

Edit: I haven't really been keeping track of prices of the Who gig, but having checked there the scale is £78 - £212 for normal tickets. Maybe I'm just used to ticket prices these days but it doesn't seem that extortionate relative to other gigs over here of that calibur. Obviously £212 is mad money for a gig but considering you're getting two full sets from The Who and Eddie Vedder, as well as support from Kaiser Chiefs and Imelda May and more to be added, that to me personally is a brilliant lineup and for under €100, and €150ish for the lower stands face on is not at all bad considering Eddie alone was about €100 here.

My basic understanding of Airline dynamic pricing is that they charge more when they know that they can.
    So, what the date is in reference to the flight is only relevant when they know there is an event on, or is certain customers want to get to somewhere after an announcement or by knowing some customers patterns. Obviously prices can drop dramatically at certain times too, so sometimes the airlines don't always come out on top, other than selling the extra seats.
    The current concert dynamic pricing structure seems to be just release the tickets at a high price, and then drop the price when the sales slow down. They would never drop the prices to rock bottom though. They would rather give them away in radio competitions or magazines etc. and leave the concert half empty (sometimes giving away tickets at the door).
    Personally, I think dynamic pricing should be illegal, as its only real purpose is to gouge the maximum possible amount from people that they can at a given time.

Suckit wrote: »
    My basic understanding of Airline dynamic pricing is that they charge more when they know that they can.
    So, what the date is in reference to the flight is only relevant when they know there is an event on, or is certain customers want to get to somewhere after an announcement or by knowing some customers patterns.

Yeah, this is true for events like a major festival or event (Paddy's day over here for example) or sun holidays at peak school holiday season but generally speaking they are incredibly hard to predict and even when I personally thought I had it down, I've had spanners thrown in what I thought was a system I worked out (one example, 6 weeks before a flight i bought my tickets @€;60 thinking I got them at best price and they kept rising to about €200, then 4 days before flight they dropped to €55).

Truth is if any of us definitively knew when the best time to buy flights was in any given scenario the airlines wouldn't be making any money :P

• Advertisement

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Truth is if any of us definitively knew when the best time to buy flights was in any given scenario the airlines wouldn't be making any money :P
    Without derailing (too much), clear cache, cookies, sign out, vpn and other sites is supposed to help :D

BlGYUgB.jpg?1

More rumours about Eddie Vedder playing at the Pinkpop festival this year (June 8 - 10)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Mumford & Sons- Malahide Jun 14th

Eddie must be supporting them yea?

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Mumford & Sons- Malahide Jun 14th

Eddie must be supporting them yea?

No I think it'll be The Who supporting, but Eddie will be a guest during their set.

No I think it'll be The Who supporting, but Eddie will be a guest during their set.

Of course this makes more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Baba OReilly…….

"Teenage Wasteland ……… "

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

Of course this makes more sense

I can't even figure out what's being said...never mind it making sense

I can't even figure out what's being said...never mind it making sense

929192.jpg?b64lines=ICJJbiBjYXNlIHlvdSBjYW4ndCB0ZWxsLAogSSdtIGJlaW5nIHNhcmNhc3RpYy4iIA==

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

very happy i came across this on youtube

REM and Eddie go perfect, pity i never saw REM and prob never will

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

very happy i came across this on youtube

REM and Eddie go perfect, pity i never saw REM and prob never will

Great stuff, great to see Eddie but even better to see Bill Berry back behind the drum kit for that one performance. REM was a great, great band.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Great stuff, great to see Eddie but even better to see Bill Berry back behind the drum kit for that one performance. REM was a great, great band.

They would prob have a reunion if they needed the money but you actually never hear much nowadays about the members doing there own thing ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Mumford! Jaysis. That's that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

They would prob have a reunion if they needed the money but you actually never hear much nowadays about the members doing there own thing ??

Nah, can't imagine them ever reuniting. Peter Buck is doing a project with some guy called Joseph Artur:

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/former-r-e-m-guitarist-peter-buck-hooks-up-with-joseph-arthur-for-new-album-1.761350

Haven't heard much about Mills and Stipe for a while though!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭loveboat captain

Nah, can't imagine them ever reuniting. Peter Buck is doing a project with some guy called Joseph Artur:

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/former-r-e-m-guitarist-peter-buck-hooks-up-with-joseph-arthur-for-new-album-1.761350

Joseph Arthur's got a few cracking tunes and has been involved in a few "supergroups" as such. He's well worth checking out in Fistful Of Mercy with Dhani Harrison and Ben Harper

Stipe has a double A sided single out with River Phoenix's sister, songs from River Phoenix's band.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rain-phoenix-time-is-the-killer-video-michael-stipe-794315/

3rd July really doesnt suite the time frame for Malahide Castle gigs cause they all seem to be on mid-late June

That's why I think it will be in Marley Park with Eddie and Glen Hansard on the bill

3rd July really doesnt suite the time frame for Malahide Castle gigs cause they all seem to be on mid-late June

That's why I think it will be in Marley Park with Eddie and Glen Hansard on the bill
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109519066&postcount=1447

Possibly an announcement coming.
    I searched to see if anything was mentioned anywhere else :D, but I can only find info that Bradley Coopers character in 'A Star is Born' was heavily influenced and inspired by Eddie Vedder.

Announce the bloody gig please Eddie

Announce the bloody gig please Eddie

Just accept it's not happening

Just accept it's not happening

It's happening! :pac:

• Advertisement