Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Night line got taken over by another courier, I think it's UPS. AFAIK they only wanted to buy the PM section of the business, but they ended up with the whole lot, this might be part of the reason for the slowdown.

Depending on what day you buy something in UK, it seems to be 7-10 days now for it to arrive. What will it be like next year?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kiki smiling

You should receive a text message from Parcel Motel with a "collection pin" to enter on the keypad at the location when prompted, then you are all good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

DilD wrote: »
    Anyone seeing a delay in deliveries lately? My parcel was received by PM a week ago and I'm still waiting to hear an update, it's coming from Dublin so a week and nothing is a joke.

That sounds like a delay caused by a backlog for your collection point. From Black Friday (late November) to Christmas, it can get really chronic and they're liable to switch your package to a nearby point, often a 'popup' point like the dressing rooms at Kilmacud Crokes in Stillorgan. At other times, you just have to wait.

Once they log it into their system, I wouldn't attempt to get it rerouted (to an alternative collection point), their system is not setup to do this at the behest of the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

blue5000 wrote: »
    Night line got taken over by another courier, I think it's UPS. AFAIK they only wanted to buy the PM section of the business, but they ended up with the whole lot, this might be part of the reason for the slowdown.

Depending on what day you buy something in UK, it seems to be 7-10 days now for it to arrive. What will it be like next year?

UPS bought Nightline for their main business. Parcel motel was a handy addition. Nightline are very strong in day specific delivery to businesses especially the pharma and IT sector and this is substantially bigger than the Parcel Motel business.

Parcel motel delays are mostly caused by specific locker locations having a backlog. I've changed my location to a less busy one and find there's no delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Would never recommend them. I always use any other service instead.

Hit & miss to get a phone or email response. Some staff seem better than others.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

silver2020 wrote: »
    Parcel motel delays are mostly caused by specific locker locations having a backlog. I've changed my location to a less busy one and find there's no delay.

I definitely have experienced this, I moved last year and in the new motel it was usually in the locker within 24 hours of getting checked in to the depot, even at peak times. Moved again this summer and my new motel is definitely a lot slower, but it's the only one within walking distance so I'm stuck with it. I remember a few years ago they had a competition thing at Christmas time where if you collected your parcel within 12 or 24 hours of it going in the locker, you were entered into a draw to win a TV. It was a good incentive for people not to leave them in the full 48 hours and get faster turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It would make sense if they allowed you to define a pool of collection points which were within your reach and you could list them in order of preference. Then for each delivery, they could make an intelligent decision as to where to drop your package, based on the backlogs (and hence waiting times) for the various points and where they appeared in your list. Obviously would only work in the major cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I'm always wary of Parcel Motel but I have used it twice in the past week and did not have any delays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Getting really impatient now with them, been over a week and no parcel. I messaged support and was told they will look into it. Will be paying the extra money for a standard delivery service company from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Getting really impatient now with them, been over a week and no parcel. I messaged support and was told they will look into it. Will be paying the extra money for a standard delivery service company from now on

It sounds like it's lost.

EDIT: Did it contain alcohol?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Best of luck with that coming on time too

Galadriel wrote: »
    It sounds like it's lost.

EDIT: Did it contain alcohol?

No nothing like that at all. Very frustrating experience with them so far :mad:

begbysback wrote: »
    Best of luck with that coming on time too

Irish courier systems are the worst. Just moved back recently enough from the UK and the postal services here are shocking, not to mention the ridiculous prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Irish courier systems are the worst. Just moved back recently enough from the UK and the postal services here are shocking, not to mention the ridiculous prices

UK are woeful. Missing parcels, parcels left in front gardens, don't give a damn attitude.

Here, once the address and contact details are complete and correct, delivery is made in a timely manner.

Problem is too many people use autofill and half of the address is arseways.

Darc19 wrote: »
    UK are woeful. Missing parcels, parcels left in front gardens, don't give a damn attitude.

Here, once the address and contact details are complete and correct, delivery is made in a timely manner.

Jeez I've found the opposite, never had an issue with next day delivery in UK. Here I've had nothing but parcels delayed, tracking saying delivery made and yet didn't receive until days later even after paying next day delivery. Only time I've gotten a parcel in a decent timeframe has been from An Post. I must be one of the unlucky ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Online forms often format addresses badly. I recommend never using line 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Parcel checked into Dublin this evening, chances of getting it tomorrow in Cork City? Do they still deliver Saturdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Galadriel wrote: »
    I'm always wary of Parcel Motel but I have used it twice in the past week and did not have any delays.

Most delays are limited to a few very busy motels bar christmas time and Prime Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Parcel delivered to them by Amazon yesterday morning, haven’t gotten a text or email yet to say it’s been checked in. How long does it usually take?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rodia77

Anyone else experiencing parcels torn open? A good couple of times for me in the last few months, filed a complaint in May, completely ignored despite reminders. I'm wondering if I'm having bad luck or are they notorious with it? FWIW, Circle K Leitrim St in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

rodia77 wrote: »
    Anyone else experiencing parcels torn open? A good couple of times for me in the last few months, filed a complaint in May, completely ignored despite reminders. I'm wondering if I'm having bad luck or are they notorious with it? FWIW, Circle K Leitrim St in Cork.

Nope.

Had a heavy order in a jiffy bag come in very good nick this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭obi604

hello, tried to find the answer but failed.

is there a monthly fee for having a parcel motel account? (regardless of whether you send or recieve stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

obi604 wrote: »

is there a monthly fee for having a parcel motel account? (regardless of whether you send or recieve stuff)

no, just transaction based

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

obi604 wrote: »

No

To give the positive side.

Company didn't add my pm number.

Pm opened the parcel, checked the invoice, matched the phone number and it was in the local locker first thing this morning after arriving in NI yesterday afternoon.

A handwritten note was added to explain why it was opened.

Can't ask more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

To give the positive side.

Company didn't add my pm number.

Pm opened the parcel, checked the invoice, matched the phone number and it was in the local locker first thing this morning after arriving in NI yesterday afternoon.

A handwritten note was added to explain why it was opened.

Can't ask more than that.

Go back to the company and ask them why they omitted such a basic detail as your PM ID. Tell them about the delay it caused and only for the diligence of the Parcel Motel staff, your package would have been lost forever.

Some UK companies are clueless when it comes to Parcel Motel - the vast majority of them seem to have never heard of it - and you need to spoonfed them the address i.e. by adding a note "Please write shipping address as follows......" Shower of pricks.

Go back to the company and ask them why they omitted such a basic detail as your PM ID. Tell them about the delay it caused and only for the diligence of the Parcel Motel staff, your package would have been lost forever.

Some UK companies are clueless when it comes to Parcel Motel - the vast majority of them seem to have never heard of it - and you need to spoonfed them the address i.e. by adding a note "Please write shipping address as follows......" Shower of pricks.
    I have my parcel, it arrived on time, I'm not going to create a false story / harass some customer service person and waste my own time.

Next order I'll simply put a polite note in the comments box and possibly add the pm number on an additional line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

I have my parcel, it arrived on time, I'm not going to create a false story / harass some customer service person and waste my own time.

I wouldn't start complaining, all you might achieve is the seller not shipping to PM again if they think it's too much hassle!
    Next order I'll simply put a polite note in the comments box and possibly add the pm number on an additional line

Just do this, that's the easiest option.

I rarely bother adding a note and only twice my PM number has been omitted. There was no delay, there's a good chance I'm the only PM customer with my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

Parcel delivered to them by Amazon yesterday morning, haven’t gotten a text or email yet to say it’s been checked in. How long does it usually take?

How long did it take?

I got my parcel from Amazon delivered on Tuesday 29/9 and still hasn't arrived at my locker. It is usually in the next day. Are Parcel motel encountering delays in anyone's experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

henke wrote: »
    How long did it take?

I got my parcel from Amazon delivered on Tuesday 29/9 and still hasn't arrived at my locker. It is usually in the next day. Are Parcel motel encountering delays in anyone's experience?

They sorted it the following Monday and I got the email saying it’s in the depot Monday night.

I think it was lost as I contacted customer service and they had someone look around for it.. came back to me and said it had just arrived on the Monday and Amazon must’ve messed up their delivery notification. Worth contacting them, though they can be painfully slow to respond.

Advertisement