Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have teagasc got it wrong .

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dzer2

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Probably as good as you Brian.

Never got into I'm a better parent than someone else. Never criticise another parent either. Most do what they see best. Just dont see the point of making anything any harder than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Jjameson wrote: »
    There’s middle ground. I think every young lad Or lassie should work for someone else in a non related job and have an understanding, an appreciation of how lucky they are to have a start such as bit of land,a house or whatever You can give them but I intend to give mine all I can. But appreciation is very important if not more important than anything else I think.

There is farmers who were never short of a a coin in their pocket, hungry or without a roof over their head that will be going to their graves after old age having moaned their whole lives about “not making a living”

I agree.

Our eldest went out to her first real paid employment at 15.
    She has three decent qualifications under her belt now at 18 that would allow her work in May European country.
    Leaving Cert this year and her place of employment hasn’t replioemed. She was going to apply for other work but I dissuaded her to focus on her studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,103 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

dzer2 wrote: »
    Sorry Wrangler but your always the me feiner I'm alright Jack F**k you. Have 5 kids here they are and always will be the most important part of our lives. We broke our holes in the rough times to make sure they had enough. Some people call it spoiling them. They got the chance to do stuff other kids wouldn't dream of. Taught them how to drive at a young age. The eldest are 19 now this year I never had to go near any silage or slurry. All I am doing at the moment is herding. Both the twins are working while waiting on college places. Forking up 80 euro each to their mother each week. They will get an account with a fair balance in it at 21 as we saves the children's allowance for each of them. On houses there are 4 at the moment and a farm that will have to be shared out eventually. I dont drive a jeep or new tractor but have some toys to play with all paid for by the farm. The single payment has always been used for family vacations. You can live and let live as well as being well reared and considerate. I would be known as a helpful and good neighbour never left a person worse off. And the last thing is your children should get live easier than you did then your doing something right.

I'd agree with looking after them well up until they are employed themselves but there's a big difference between that and buying them feckin houses, If your family had any self respect they wouldn't take it anyway
    I've helped people who've deserved it and lent a substantial amount to one and when he came to start the repayments I told him he needn't bother, Plenty could've helped me when I got into financial difficulty but didn't. One in particular that my mother helped in the 1940s , had she not helped him we would've been a lot wealthier...... amazing the twists in lives that make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It all about good parenting skills. No matter how much you can give or not give a child it all about how you manage there expectation. It a bit like the expectation in farming that one child will inherit the farm and the rest will have to be happy with an education or maybe no education. 20+ years ago when smaller landholdings were viable and families were bigger parents had less choices.

However the world has changes. Are my children spoiled yes to an extent but they are responsible as well. We put them through college, we bought them there first car and taxed and insured it. We never put fuel in there car however. However as they started earning we added cost to them. They started paying there car tax, insurance picking up living costs in collage. They always managed there own money, we never too it off them but neither did we hand them out money since they started working. Eldest lad is in NZ working in his area of education, our daughter is a teacher she changed her car lately and paid up front for it from savings.

If they go to buy a house and need some money for a deposit will we lend them a hand of course we will. The challenges facing children nowadays is different to 20-30 years ago. One of the biggest is housing costs but child care is also a huge issue for young couple starting a family. So ya we will give them a dig out if they need it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Funny.
    Many or most here have inherited farms and houses all in one swoop.

But somehow if I provide a house to my kids they have no self respect. That’s a disgusting thing to say but what do you expect from a pig but a grunt.

This thread is so far off topic. I’ll not be posting further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,103 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    Funny.

But somehow if I provide a house to my kids they have no self respect. That’s a disgusting thing to say but what do you expect from a pig but a grunt.

I'm entitled to my opinion too, you're the one that came on boasting you were going to buy one, two or three houses.
    It's only two or three years ago that I offered help to someone to be told 'I have my pride'' and I respected him for that.
    Again self respect, may be it infers something else to other people, all about standards I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

_Brian wrote: »
    Funny.

I'm to inherit the farm here but I've been working at home when I wasnt in school or playing football or hurling since I was about 10

The farm bought my siblings there first cars, taxed and insured them aswell as paid for there education and 2/3 weddings so far

They wont have houses bought for them or be given sites, I've worked hard with my parents to give my my siblings a good start and who would have a better life style than me (which I dont begrudge)

Farming is no gold mine and never was, you inherit a living and that's about it, its value is only worth something if you sell it which I've no intention of doing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm to inherit the farm here but I've been working at home when I wasnt in school or playing football or hurling since I was about 10

The farm bought my siblings there first cars, taxed and insured them aswell as paid for there education and 2/3 weddings so far

They wont have houses bought for them or be given sites, I've worked hard with my parents to give my my siblings a good start and who would have a better life style than me (which I dont begrudge)

Farming is no gold mine and never was, you inherit a living and that's about it, its value is only worth something if you sell it which I've no intention of doing

Mod note and on that little bit of wisdom, we'll leave it there.

Locking this one up as we're gone way off topic at this stage. If anyone wants it re-opened send me a PM.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement