Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have teagasc got it wrong .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭20silkcut

_Brian wrote: »
    There is massive push to support and maintain the beef industry in Ireland and expand if possible.

What lads are missing is that “the industry” doesn’t include beef farmers. The industry everyone is so adamant needs to continue is every aspect outside the farm gate. Processors, retailers, marts, feed and fertiliser suppliers. The farmer is just treated like a big cow shiite with all the flies buzzing around it feeding themselves and getting fat of it.

That’s being going on a long time. When the Iraq war broke out in 1990 and Larry Goodman was facing ruin, Haughey recalled the Dail to pass emergency legislation to protect him from the banks.
    The reluctance by the government in this country to adopt any other form of alternative energy generation that would require land use is probably to protect the beef industry as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

20silkcut wrote:
    That’s being going on a long time. When the Iraq war broke out in 1990 and Larry Goodman was facing ruin the Dail was recalled to pass emergency legislation to protect him from the banks. The reluctance by the government in this country to adopt any other form of alternative energy generation that would require land use is probably to protect the beef industry as well.

agree ,solar farms are a no brainer , but let's see what eamonn green will do

• Registered Users Posts: 13,541 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Locally their is a serious wind down happening with beef farmers, places wouldn't be stocked at half the rates as a few years ago, little our no fert been spread and land just been set stocked

Finishing 25% less next year.

Increase productivity per hectare isn't reflected in the bank account.

Cattle going up in the mart, down in the factory, costs rising each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Mooooo wrote: »
    A lot of assumptions in this thread. Simple enough let every one do their own thing, with or without teagasc advice.......

Bang on. Good fella that can keep his own bit half right. Squinting over the hedge criticising the next lad is mere bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There is massive push to support and maintain the beef industry in Ireland and expand if possible.

What lads are missing is that “the industry” doesn’t include beef farmers. The industry everyone is so adamant needs to continue is every aspect outside the farm gate. Processors, retailers, marts, feed and fertiliser suppliers. The farmer is just treated like a big cow shiite with all the flies buzzing around it feeding themselves and getting fat of it.

You can't be set in your ways, plenty round here that were suckler farmers are working for dairy farmers, calving, milking, poor enough rates but coupled with rearing their heifers and collecting SFP they have a good quality of life compared to the solitary suckler farmer life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Jb1989

wrangler wrote: »
    It's the way he is
    He's always at something,he had 4 or 5 employed as a teenager, bought land at 22, always bred E grade cattle

Did he start off himself or had he daddy helping at the beginning?

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Did he start off himself or had he daddy helping at the beginning?

No help got, started in Farm relief at 16, a very good head and good worker

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The push hard to get max cows milking in the shortest time, is fine on paper, it's about the risk. Far higher level of debt being carried by someone who's learning on a steep curve. What if the milk price goes south or the herd has a TB breakdown? Get there over 5/6 yrs instead of 3. Far less stress.

No help got, started in Farm relief at 16, a very good head and good worker

Ah well fair play. He in the minority, as the kerry poster said earlier, daddy helped the vast majority of future farmers, and only for them they would find them selves a lot of different.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah well fair play. He in the minority, as the kerry poster said earlier, daddy helped the vast majority of future farmers, and only for them they would find them selves a lot of different.

And Mammy.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    And Mammy.

Yea fair point. Mammy is a serious asset when daddy and son/daughter go away. I know I had neither when I took over at 16, so I do laugh at youngbones posting about how there parents have a stupid way of farming, and need to get with the times, if they hadn't mammy and daddy they would sing a different tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Hasn't been a cent of the sfp put into the farm here the past 7 years, has been used to set up a off-farm business that going forward will be netting 25k a year plus only needing minimal labour and little to no investment, the ole chap sees it as his pension, know of more than one case where the yearly sfp goes straight into the banks back pocket to meet loan repayments

have u not said on here several times over past number of years that u dont draw your SFP.... and that is how your fgetting away with increased numbers and avoiding nitrates regulations etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Yea fair point. Mammy is a serious asset when daddy and son/daughter go away. I know I had neither when I took over at 16, so I do laugh at youngbones posting about how there parents have a stupid way of farming, and need to get with the times, if they hadn't mammy and daddy they would sing a different tune.

Their not all wrong but are a lot of the time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Agree totally with you. A simple example is the nitrates, a lot of dairy farmers are over their derogation limits so their looking for tillage farmers maps to "spread" slurry on. A neighbour did this with another farmer and he wouldn't give him the slurry then after he giving him the maps. Do they want it all their own way ??

Happens in reverse too. Used to have a fella drawing dung from here for free to various lads. Well he was obviously charging the recipient for the delivery/spreading as he had to make a few quid on it but he was taking it for free.

It was difficult to get nitrates export forms signed after the fact if you didn't have it done at the time of delivery. A few times they couldn't be got to be signed after the dung delivered and spread and luckily enough we were under the limits anyway.

"getting the maps" as you describe is a bit more difficult as most tillage lads need the maps for their own BPS. Vegetable farmers excepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭mayota

Will you help your children be successful in life? I know I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Jayus , Brian a house did ya say? I'd a loved to been a child of yours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Grueller

Damn right.
    We’ve a plan in place to do our best for them including money set aside for college and if all goes well a house each for them. What, do people have kids and then not bother doing their best for them?!

I was the first of my family to go to college, my parents worked damn hard to make this happen because they saw the difference it made for people to have an education. I’ve always appreciated the sacrifices they made to make it happen.

I agree with almost everything there Brian. I would be seriously supportive of my children's education and want the best for them. However, even if I have the means to do it I will not provide a house to them. I will provide them the education to provide the means of obtaining a house and I will also provide a site should they wish to live in this area but they will pay for that house themselves. I believe that working for something builds an appreciation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Grueller wrote: »
    I agree with almost everything there Brian. I would be seriously supportive of my children's education and want the best for them. However, even if I have the means to do it I will not provide a house to them. I will provide them the education to provide the means of obtaining a house and I will also provide a site should they wish to live in this area but they will pay for that house themselves. I believe that working for something builds an appreciation of it.

Right! Jeez, it’s hard to provide the education and a bit of a start after that. Providing a house each on top, leaves them with not much to put their education to work for.

mayota wrote: »
    Will you help your children be successful in life? I know I will.

Yes. As long as I'm still about unlike my own personal circumstances and plenty others similar, my main point was regarding young ones blowing about how there parents do stupid things,... Their lucky to have any parents helping them at all...

Damn right.
    We’ve a plan in place to do our best for them including money set aside for college and if all goes well a house each for them. What, do people have kids and then not bother doing their best for them?!

I was the first of my family to go to college, my parents worked damn hard to make this happen because they saw the difference it made for people to have an education. I’ve always appreciated the sacrifices they made to make it happen.

Some people have kids, but parents are dead or disabled while the kids are still kids, so bother or not, they aren't there for them.

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »

So true, you won't buy love and respect, have seen it so many times in spoilt children

A neighbour of mine, who has done well for himself farming over the years, always said about Teagasc and their predecessors, that they will tell you how to spend money, not how to make money

I was with Teagasc a long time and I would agree with your neighbour. For me they seemed to deem it enough of a service just filling forms. There was never a farm visit outside of one group meeting I hosted. Even in the preliminary visit before the meeting, when I specifically asked for productive advice none was forthcoming, even on possible cross compliance issues I may not have spotted myself, nothing. There was no thinking outside of the box. The internet is a much richer source of knowledge to equip individuals to generate income from their land IMO. They should really call Teagasc a secretarial service. That's been my expierence of them.

Really.
    After a house you can’t think of anything to be doing or spending your money on ??

No dreams of travelling, starting a business, doing something different because your not shackeled to a mortgage??

Or just getting lazy because the Bank of Dad will provide. You'd be an awful fool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭alps

Couldn't be more complimentary towards our man..

Efficient, proactive, thought provoking and great to return with advise on a query..

Any spare hour returning from an appointed farm visit, he'll ring a client local to that and call over for a quick walk and keeps very much updated with his clients operations..

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

So true, you won't buy love and respect, have seen it so many times in spoilt children

But I’ve often seen people that would be deemed “spoilt “ by some of the posters here that were a great success and hard workers , and not only that they then in turn reared successful kids. There’s no set rule to it. Plenty of people have to wait to long to get their chance to shine.
    If you can afford it give them whatever you can along with a bit of good guidance. Don’t be thinking the worst

Cattlepen wrote: »
    But I’ve often seen people that would be deemed “spoilt “ by some of the posters here that were a great success and hard workers , and not only that they then in turn reared successful kids. There’s no set rule to it. Plenty of people have to wait to long to get their chance to shine.
    If you can afford it give them whatever you can along with a bit of good guidance. Don’t be thinking the worst

You have your own life to live too,
    With the outlook for pensions there 's an even greater need now for putting spare money into them rather than spending foolishly, I wouldn't like to be trying to live on the OAP at the moment and you'd have a poor hope of getting anything back from your family as well as they'd be in a high cost time as well.
    They might have good jobs but their taxes will be supporting one over 65 for every couple working compared with 5 or 6 supporting one over sixty at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

You have your own life to live too,
    With the outlook for pensions there 's an even greater need now for putting spare money into them rather than spending foolishly, I wouldn't like to be trying to live on the OAP at the moment and you'd have a poor hope of getting anything back from your family as well as they'd be in a high cost time as well.
    They might have good jobs but their taxes will be supporting one over 65 for every couple working compared with 5 or 6 supporting one over sixty at the moment

Sorry Wrangler but your always the me feiner I'm alright Jack F**k you. Have 5 kids here they are and always will be the most important part of our lives. We broke our holes in the rough times to make sure they had enough. Some people call it spoiling them. They got the chance to do stuff other kids wouldn't dream of. Taught them how to drive at a young age. The eldest are 19 now this year I never had to go near any silage or slurry. All I am doing at the moment is herding. Both the twins are working while waiting on college places. Forking up 80 euro each to their mother each week. They will get an account with a fair balance in it at 21 as we saves the children's allowance for each of them. On houses there are 4 at the moment and a farm that will have to be shared out eventually. I dont drive a jeep or new tractor but have some toys to play with all paid for by the farm. The single payment has always been used for family vacations. You can live and let live as well as being well reared and considerate. I would be known as a helpful and good neighbour never left a person worse off. And the last thing is your children should get live easier than you did then your doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,532 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

dzer2 wrote: »
    Sorry Wrangler but your always the me feiner I'm alright Jack F**k you. Have 5 kids here they are and always will be the most important part of our lives. We broke our holes in the rough times to make sure they had enough. Some people call it spoiling them. They got the chance to do stuff other kids wouldn't dream of. Taught them how to drive at a young age. The eldest are 19 now this year I never had to go near any silage or slurry. All I am doing at the moment is herding. Both the twins are working while waiting on college places. Forking up 80 euro each to their mother each week. They will get an account with a fair balance in it at 21 as we saves the children's allowance for each of them. On houses there are 4 at the moment and a farm that will have to be shared out eventually. I dont drive a jeep or new tractor but have some toys to play with all paid for by the farm. The single payment has always been used for family vacations. You can live and let live as well as being well reared and considerate. I would be known as a helpful and good neighbour never left a person worse off. And the last thing is your children should get live easier than you did then your doing something right.

Wonder how much of a parent have those who are criticising been. You’d wonder. Probably spare the rod spoil the child sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

There’s middle ground. I think every young lad Or lassie should work for someone else in a non related job and have an understanding, an appreciation of how lucky they are to have a start such as bit of land,a house or whatever You can give them but I intend to give mine all I can. But appreciation is very important if not more important than anything else I think.

There is farmers who were never short of a a coin in their pocket, hungry or without a roof over their head that will be going to their graves after old age having moaned their whole lives about “not making a living”

• Advertisement

Wonder how much of a parent have those who are criticising been. You’d wonder. Probably spare the rod spoil the child sorts.

Probably as good as you Brian.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement