Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santa Strike Force 2017!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

thedeere wrote: »
    Perharps people just want to donate money without some one taking the glory for it. I’ll pledge €30 and pay within 48 hours but don’t want anyone adding to it. If it’s not worthy then just say and I won’t pay.
    I don’t understand the need to come on top of everyone’s contribution.

What glory though? I don’t know anyone here and nobody knows who I am. That’s pretty bad glory! I donate large amounts here because I’ve had a good year and it’s good to spread that around! I also donate here because the whole amount of money goes to where it should! Donate if you want but don’t disparage or belittle someone else’s act of generousity because they use pledges to get people donating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

thedeere wrote: »
    Perharps people just want to donate money without some one taking the glory for it. I’ll pledge €30 and pay within 48 hours but don’t want anyone adding to it. If it’s not worthy then just say and I won’t pay.
    I don’t understand the need to come on top of everyone’s contribution.

Such a strange post :confused: surely you can see that the charities are the ones who benefit from this. Beasty’s generosity has massively increased the amount of money raised each year, how can anyone be critical of that.

I missed the deadline of midnight so I’ll donate when Beasty makes his next gesture as we know he will. Well done DeVore and we’ll done Beasty 🎅🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It really is a great cause. Thanks for the last 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Beasty you are one of the main reasons this charity jumped from raising €3,000 a year to over €15,000 a year to improve the quality of life for sick children.

If someone feels patronised by the fact that their donation is being "topped up" then the issue lies entirely with them and their own insecurities.

By all means, if you don't want to add your beasty bonuses to SSF then no one would think twice about it because it is such a generous thing you've done for the past few years but you are certainly under no obligation to do so.

It does not in any way take away from the donations other people whether they be €2 or €2,000. It is all relative and every cent of it helps.

No more negativity :)

This is a happy thread which puts smiles on the faces of kids who need it the most and the is THE only thing that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

€50 gone through there now

***********2893G

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just sent a few bob, receipt ending 764192

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Beasty wrote: »
    You are perfectly entitled to adopt that position, and I will thank you for the donation regardless. All I'm trying to do is help build a sense of community around here and I will continue to support this cause in ways that contribute to that aim

Yes I'll admit some of the reactions to what I pledge gives me a warm feeling inside. There are other things I can and do support, but I like to devote the one thing I can that does not need a lot of effort, as I know my free time to help out in other ways is limited.

There are 2 main reasons I choose to support this cause and attempt to encourage others to do the same. Firstly I know how much DeVore as well as others (particularly some of the AH mods over the years) have put into this, and that not a cent is taken away to cover any overheads or other expenses. Secondly this is one cause I feel I can make a big difference to.

The consensus around here appears that most people who get involved are happy for me to help out in this way. To date (and I've been doing this for what, 5 years now?)I think you are the first to express some dissatisfaction in this way. If plenty of others start doing the same I would be happy to reconsider my approach.

No way. It adds to the bit of fun here, as well as obviously boosting the coffers. So fair dues Beasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Conspectus wrote: »
    I've created a floating ssf thread that we'll bump so everyone can see it. It contains a link to this thread and nude pics of beasty.

Takes back previous post... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

There are 2 main reasons I choose to support this cause and attempt to encourage others to do the same. Firstly I know how much DeVore as well as others (particularly some of the AH mods over the years) have put into this, and that not a cent is taken away to cover any overheads or other expenses. Secondly this is one cause I feel I can make a big difference to.

The consensus around here appears that most people who get involved are happy for me to help out in this way. To date (and I've been doing this for what, 5 years now?)I think you are the first to express some dissatisfaction in this way. If plenty of others start doing the same I would be happy to reconsider my approach.

Showed this thread to my missus, and she agreed that instead of buying eachother crap, we'll donate the cash..

200 pledged.

Also, instead of this being the last year, can it instead be the year Tom passes the baton to Beasty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

€15 donated

Receipt ending 01139

Sorry to see you stepping down Dev, but like all good things, I'm hoping the legacy you created will continue without you :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Peatys wrote: »

Also, instead of this being the last year, can it instead be the year Tom passes the baton to Beasty?
    I'm sure we can sort something out for future years and I will help out where I can. Unfortunately though there is a reason I can devote cash to this cause and I don't expect to be retiring for a few years yet....

We do though need to have a discussion on how to take it forward but let's leave that until the New Year (unless anyone really wants to put their hat in the ring now). I personally think we could do with a few people trying to share out all the work DeVore has done in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Next years thread will be the 'donate to the Devore bail fund Aka I've no idea how that got in my bag your honor'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

donated a few euro receipt ending ..... 59252Y

Thanks to B.T Justice for linking the thread over on the culchie's :rolleyes: forum

keep up the good work folks and keep safe

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So by my reckoning I owe 595, and that would bring the total to date to €2,775 which does not include a couple of posters who did not specify amounts

Just to add a bit more interest to the weekend, I'll throw another €225 in if/when United beat City on Sunday - I'll be listening out for the cheers on here when we score:)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry, work/life has been mental this last week and even now I'm only pausing to quickly grab a coffee and post.

1. I have yet to be asked by any kid about any of the details of where the money comes from. They dont give a sh*t. Neither do I (provided its legal :) )

2. Working out something next year regarding sharing the work might be a runner. Lets talk after xmas. It will take volunteers tho! :)

I'm going to be in and out this week and next so please bear with me tho to be fair, I do very little at this point beyond cheerleading :)

Fantastic work by you all :) I'm planning on donating myself but wondering if I have to post the amount here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Fantastic work by you all :) I'm planning on donating myself but wondering if I have to post the amount here?

The only real need to do that is if beasty is "matching" donations and in that case a pm to him would be sufficient.

The only reason people do it is so the mods can do a running total but that doesn't have to be 100% accurate (and never will be) because it's more a progress update so everyone can see how well the fund is doing :)

The only real need to do that is if beasty is "matching" donations and in that case a pm to him would be sufficient.

The only reason people do it is so the mods can do a running total but that doesn't have to be 100% accurate (and never will be) because it's more a progress update so everyone can see how well the fund is doing :)

Ah ok. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Another €10 in the pot

Ref

Donation made. Receipt ending in 57861G.

• Advertisement

So by my reckoning I owe 595, and that would bring the total to date to €2,775 which does not include a couple of posters who did not specify amounts

Just to add a bit more interest to the weekend, I'll throw another €225 in if/when United beat City on Sunday - I'll be listening out for the cheers on here when we score:)

I’ll put in 225€ if city beat utd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

I'll put in EUR100 if it's a draw.

:)

Xaracatz wrote: »
    I'll put in EUR100 if it's a draw.

:)
    Guess I'll match that. I reckon that whatever the result that gets us to €15 short of a minimum of €3,000. That only needs 1 and a half more posters to pledge a tenner each. If we can get 51 and a half doing that we'll be up to 3 and a half grand;)

C'mon Leicester - Newcastle are playing crap at present:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

€25 sent now

Receipt ending DA365964V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

€10 added ***8911

C'mon Leicester - Newcastle are playing crap at present:P

Dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey