Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binge drinking - can you justify it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't particularly enjoy the taste of any alcohol. Drinking has never been about the taste for me.

Nil desperendum keep trying don't give up you will eventually find a drink to suit your palate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't particularly enjoy the taste of any alcohol. Drinking has never been about the taste for me.
    You might end up with my "problem": one drink I like is XO Cognac, which is freaking expensive since Kim Jong-il bought up half the world's supply. (His son must be sitting on some crazy Cognac stockpile unless he drunk it all himself. Kim Jong-un is reportedly more in to rum and vodka.)

I don't have that kind of money, so problem solved.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

There's no denying it is good craic at the time! But if you're losing days from it, it's worth questioning imo.

I lose 5 days a week to work. Losing one to a hangover is worth it to get rid of the stresses and strains of the working week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

....... wrote: »

Exactly, Sunday is the best night to go out anyway!!! They you get paid to be hungover on the Monday. Win-Win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I cant justify it.

Other than I enjoy getting drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

3 pints is termed binge drinking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Justify it to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

JJayoo wrote: »

Could even be 2 depending on what you're drinking. I would consider a binge to 2 or more days of continuous drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Justify it to who?

Yourself.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »

I know fellows who would drink 3 pints while deciding whether to go on the beer for the day or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

elperello wrote: »
    I know fellows who would drink 3 pints while deciding whether to go on the beer for the day or not.

They sound like mad lads!

They sound like mad lads!

I couldn't keep up with them:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Patww79 wrote: »

Most Irish people have the attitude towards drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

AmberGold wrote: »
    Transpired I had acute Pancreatitis that morphed into chronic. This is something you don't want.

Ouch. How that affect your life now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I think there's a dependence and a culture where alcohol is central - especially in rural parts. You meet your mates in the pub, try to get with a girl in a club etc. The biggest challenge I'll have now for example is doing the above.

I agree 100% buddy, i had to sit on a bus with the rugby team yesterday for 3 hours and they look at you like you have two heads when your not drinking
    I think a big part is that they dont want anyone doing anything different to them because they might have to look at there own behaviour :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I like the odd glass of prosecco or a cocktail but it's not often i actually go drinking. No need to change my habits there i reckon. Probably an extra few over xmas, and a pub crawl. Be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I can only justify binge drinking in the way that I really enjoy binge drinking. As John B Keane once said "Drink in moderation is one of the most ridiculous statements ever made. You must drink a little more than moderation."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Presently in Riyadh Saudi Arabia, will be in Dublin on Friday where a bottle of Seans Bar Limited Edition whiskey awaits, can I justify binge drinking for the weekend, HELL YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It really depends what binge drinking does to you and how you handle it.

If you're getting into trouble or dying from hangovers and wasting your time away then you need to have a think about it.

I did a lot of heavy drinking in my 20s but never got myself into major trouble, like fights or getting arrested. The days after I could handle the hangovers. FWIW, if you're going to whinge about hangovers, don't drink so much. It's not as if you don't know they exist. If I have a really bad hangover then I accept its my own fault. I don't go around moaning about it.

I have stopped drinking as much the last few months because I work seven days a week now and I can't have Saturdays and Sundays where I wake up in the early afternoon in no mood for anything.

• Advertisement

I like to get ****ed up. I work Monday to Friday, I don't have kids and if I have nothing on on a weekday morning or early afternoon I'll sometimes get mangled til 5 or 6am. How do I justify it? **** you. That's how. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I like to get ****ed up. I work Monday to Friday, I don't have kids and if I have nothing on on a weekday morning or early afternoon I'll sometimes get mangled til 5 or 6am. How do I justify it? **** you. That's how. :pac:

Jaysus I'm not able to do that any more, and I'm still in my 20's. My hat's off to ya.

Jaysus I'm not able to do that any more, and I'm still in my 20's. My hat's off to ya.

I'll not be in my 20s much longer so I'm making the best of it. :P

Also I meant weekend rather than weekday. I can't drink at all during the week because of the stupid drink driving limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've never had a hangover, so I do over indulge sometimes as I know that I won't suffer for it the next day. When I'm 60 my liver will probably sneak off and die in a corner, but sure fúck it, you have to die of something!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I've never had a hangover

I don't understand this. Just say you went out on a Thursday night and you had work the next day. Drank 10 pints and went to bed at 3am, and had to be up at 7am. Are you saying you'd feel 100% normal, or maybe just a bit tired, like you didn't drink at all the night before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Also I meant weekend rather than weekday. I can't drink at all during the week because of the stupid drink driving limit.[/QUOTE

Can’t see how the drink driving limit is stupid?

AmberGold wrote: »

Also I meant weekend rather than weekday. I can't drink at all during the week because of the stupid drink driving limit.[/QUOTE

Can’t see how the drink driving limit is stupid?
    There's nothing to show that lowering from 0.08 to 0.05 makes a difference. And unfortunately for me the 0.02 cut-off applies to me for the next while so even not "binge" drinking would be running the gauntlet the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

At some point I started getting bastard hangovers whether I had three drinks or ten, so fcuk it, might as well have ten.

Cutting back on it a lot in preparation for Christmas. Spending most of a week at home with the whole family is definitely justification enough for drinking. So far it has a perfect record for preventing me murdering someone or having a break down. What's that Mam, you want to know the name of that actress that you think I like or maybe my friend Brid likes her, how's Brid, she's in London these days is she and one time we were in the cinema to see a film with a one word title and she was in one of the trailers, no not Brid, that actress? NO FCUKING PROBLEM MAM, pass me that wine and let's get to the bottom of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

....... wrote: »
    It used to be worst for me in the stomach, Id feel so sick and bloated and full of acid, sometimes I would vomit bile and itd take me days to feel normal again - this could happen after a bottle of wine. These days I pop a Nexium if Im going drinking so now I only get a hangover in the head, dehydration (which is easily handled) and lack of sleep.

Interesting, my partner gets hangovers like that sometimes. Must get him some of those.

Advertisement