Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binge drinking - can you justify it?

Options
  • 27-11-2017 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Well, I've been thinking about it recently and I have made a commitment not to drink for the remainder of November and all of December - a late hope on the sober November bandwagon!

I find I'm wasting too many Sunday's being hungover, taking days at a time to recover and spending money I can't afford, with absolutely nothing to show for it. One week in, I feel grand with that decision and couldn't give a damn about not being drunk for Christmas parties and all that goes with it. It's a feeling of being there, done that. Of course I could always moderate my drinking but I think that would be more of a struggle than abstaining for me personally.

We can all safely say that a lot of people in Ireland binge drink on a weekly basis. If you're in that category, how do you justify it to yourself? Or if you're like me last week, do you just not think about it too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It can be good craic in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Arghus wrote: »

There's no denying it is good craic at the time! But if you're losing days from it, it's worth questioning imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

I've never had to think too much about drinking. I can go months without a drink and not even realise it. But when I do drink on a night out, I go all in :D And I can totally justify that because I'm not out getting wasted every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

An occasional blowout is great but weekly is just a huge waste of time, money and brain cells. Far better things to be doing every Sunday than dieing with a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Me, it's a no. I can drink, but have only gotten really drunk - hangover drunk - a handful of times in my life, the last sometime around 2001.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Not when I'm up at 7am every morning with the 9 month old, even if I had someone to watch him, I would find it very hard to justify blowing 50 euros or whatever on a night out, going up to spend 12 euros on 2 drinks would depress me as that would buy me baby formula etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Arghus wrote: »

It can. But then you have people talking about other people not being good craic as they don't drink as much as them. Yet they have to pump themselves full of drink to have good craic, what does it say about their personality or being good craic themselves if they need enough alcohol to launch a North Korean rocket to have good craic.
    Also with regular/heavy drinkers if you took alcohol related topics from their conversations, I wonder if they would have much left to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'll probably drink more often than I usually do over the next 6 weeks, I'll probably even binge drink a couple of those times.
    But I rarely drink so I don't feel remotely bad for it. My last night out was for the October bank holiday and before that it was some time in July, no reason in particular for this, I just wasn't arsed to go out or have a drink.
    I think I deserve a few nights of binge drinking this Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yes, yes I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Obviously real life is scripted by a moralistic chorus of Fine Gael, alcoholics and other finger waggers.

That's why it's supposedly impossible for a middle ground to exist between abstention and oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What's the point of drinking if you're not going to get drunk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sometimes the folks in my office want to go out for a few ... and they refuse to go out any night other than Friday night. The idea that you could have a drink or two with food, maybe a couple more, but not get drunk or suffer a hangover, seems to be entirely alien to them. I seem to have migrated to the "European" drinking model and prefer to avoid going out on Friday nights altogether.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Jesus no wonder the AH beers went to feic a few years ago with the amount of sappy posts in this thread already.
    I mean come on looking at a beer like a packet of baby food? ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

Jesus no wonder the AH beers went to feic a few years ago with the amount of sappy posts in this thread already.
    I mean come on looking at a beer like a packet of baby food? ffs.

Ahh.... the glory days :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

My names ballsdeep69 and im an alcoholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

My names ballsdeep69 and im an alcoholic

Try to cut back from four drinks on a night out to three.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

Ipso wrote: »
    Try to cut back from four drinks on a night out to three.

I would pore that over my cornflakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Went on total benders at least two nights a week, possibly three and could do four in a row from the age of seventeen till about thirty-two. Switched then to a bottle or two of vino in front of the TV two or three nights at the weekend.

Justified it to myself by not doing drugs, exercising regularly, going to gym etc.

Anyway, long story short went on a bender a few years back where I was drinking from four in the afternoon till four in the morning, woke with excruciating pains in my stomach that lasted for a week, it took me a year or so to feel right again.

Transpired I had acute Pancreatitis that morphed into chronic. This is something you don't want.

A wake up call too late. When I think about the scrapes, dangerous situations, lost days and money I spent while I was supposedly enjoying myself you know what my advice would be.

AmberGold wrote: »
    Went on total benders at least two nights a week, possibly three and could do four in a row from the age of seventeen till about thirty-two. Switched then to a bottle or two of vino in front of the TV two or three nights at the weekend.

Justified it to myself by not doing drugs, exercising regularly, going to gym etc.

Anyway, long story short went on a bender a few years back where I was drinking from four in the afternoon till four in the morning, woke with excruciating pains in my stomach that lasted for a week, it took me a year or so to feel right again.

Transpired I had acute Pancreatitis that morphed into chronic. This is something you don't want.

A wake up call too late. When I think about the scrapes, dangerous situations, lost days and money I spent while I was supposedly enjoying myself you know what my advice would be.

At least you've seen the light and from what you've described, the whole thing hardly seems worth it for a few hours of 'fun'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I love the buzz of having a few beers, listening to tunes and everything feeling much nicer than normal.

If I work hard and make up good ground in work, I love to drink some wine and form ambitions inside my head. Weird, but there you have it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

The bravado with Ireland and drinking is pathetic
    Fair play to you for going dry
    How many lads i see around thinking they are mad craic cause they got pissed and dont remember anything where in reality they are just beyond sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

irishman86 wrote: »
    The bravado with Ireland and drinking is pathetic
    Fair play to you for going dry
    How many lads i see around thinking they are mad craic cause they got pissed and dont remember anything where in reality they are just beyond sad

I think there's a dependence and a culture where alcohol is central - especially in rural parts. You meet your mates in the pub, try to get with a girl in a club etc. The biggest challenge I'll have now for example is doing the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Vela wrote: »
    I've never had to think too much about drinking. I can go months without a drink and not even realise it. But when I do drink on a night out, I go all in :D And I can totally justify that because I'm not out getting wasted every weekend.

+1

This is me, I can go weeks or months without drinking, maybe the odd one or two here and there but when I go on the lash, I really go on the lash :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I justify it by telling myself 'I'm young' cause I am, I'm completely and utterly taking advantage of my student years, and as I should! I know that somewhere in the next 5-15 years (huge range) I won't have the opportunity to go out with my friends at the drop of a hat, and not have to come home for a day or two

Sometimes it does get a bit much though, and yesterday was my first Sunday in about 6 weeks not hungover and it felt fantastic, I suppose I'd prefer to go through phases of going out alot, to not going out much, back and forth, in my eyes I don't think too much about the money I'm wasting, cause that's what we all do now.

And in all fairness it works out pretty well, Monday - Friday full time college, work part time on the weekend, get my wages just so I can go out and enjoy :-D all the while not having to feel guilty about getting absolutely effed up each weekend as I know I still have my life together (as odd as that sounds)!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No, binge drinking is a waste of good drink.
    Slow down and try to taste what you are drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I never enjoyed binge drinking. A few beers is enough for me. I haven't been properly hungover in about 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

elperello wrote:
    No, binge drinking is a waste of good drink. Slow down and try to taste what you are drinking.

I don't particularly enjoy the taste of any alcohol. Drinking has never been about the taste for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I never enjoyed binge drinking. A few beers is enough for me. I haven't been properly hungover in about 10 years.

Ditto, Once I'm on my 3rd pint I say Uh Oh if I have another one Ill have an all day headache tomorrow. Now a good glass of wine with food is nice.

Advertisement