Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ripple Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

GreeBo wrote: »
    Similar position to me.
    Im thining of shifting my XRP back into XLM, ADA and EOS.

I think $5 would be a ridiculous market cap, but I dont think any of the new money looks at things like that, so it could easily keep going.

It kind of goes against everything I think about when I'm investing in equities. In stocks I'd be looking at quarterly results, revenues, new product launches,who's involved, sentiment...etc.

In Crypto, I and many others are holding but don't know why? None of us can answer the question of why will it hit 3 dollars?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Dutchy

This is the Golden Age for Cryptos & making money.
    Make hay as these days won't be around forever.

jon1981 wrote: »
    why will it it should hit 3 dollars?

corrected my post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I know I said i was getting out at $2.50 but it would be rude to abandon ship now....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm pretty new to the whole crypto thing, only having the buy-in after finding 4K dormant lumens behind the couch (though I had been reading up for some time).

I exchanged most of them for XRP in early Dec. I thought I'd done well to treble my value with Ripple but now it seems XLR would have worked out the same - at this snapshot in time.

The plan was to hold on the XRP... now I'm not sure. If something happens with Coinbase or Amazon and we see a spike, I can't see myself waiting too long to see what happens after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Dades wrote: »
    I'm pretty new to the whole crypto thing, only having the buy-in after finding 4K dormant lumens behind the couch (though I had been reading up for some time).

I exchanged most of them for XRP in early Dec. I thought I'd done well to treble my value with Ripple but now it seems XLR would have worked out the same!

The plan was to hold on the XRP... now I'm not sure. If something happens with Coinbase or Amazon and we see a spike, I can't see myself waiting too long to see what happens after that.

Well done you!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

now I'm not sure.

Congratulations, you caught up with everyone else! :o

Well done you!! :D
    Clearly, this whole thing is a doddle. Everything always goes up, right? :P

One thing I was amazed at was how complicated it is to buy/exchange cryptos. How many people have thought "I'll have some of that!" only to give up at mention of wallets, exchanges, KYC etc. It really seems the preserve of the technically savvy to win or lose on this grand stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

It really seems the preserve of the technically savvy to win or lose on this grand stage.

That's the myth of it all though. It's remarkably easy. I first looked at alts back in the summer and held off because I was lazy about things like getting verified ffs.

I did the same thing. Only that I had free XLR and had to get set up to do anything with them I'd probably still be procrastinating.

I wouldn't say it's easy, though. Not while you need to operate on several exchanges and maintain different wallets. And I work in tech.

Anyhow - XRP still cracking on!

• Advertisement

I did the same thing. Only that I had free XLR and had to get set up to do anything with them I'd probably still be procrastinating.

I wouldn't say it's easy, though. Not while you need to operate on several exchanges and maintain different wallets. And I work in tech.

There's nothing technically difficult about any of it though - nobody is coding anything here. It's just a matter of a few clicks and a few copy and pastes. Obviously like anything, you have to know what you're doing but it's very easily learned.

There's nothing technically difficult about any of it though - nobody is coding anything here. It's just a matter of a few clicks and a few copy and pastes. Obviously like anything, you have to know what you're doing but it's very easily learned.

to the vast majority of people you might as well have said "its just a few snips and then you replace the damaged heart valve with the new one"

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

Hi all, can anyone clarify exactly how multiple wallets work with ripple? I believe that when you activate a wallet, 20XRP gets taken. But do you get this back if you empty the wallet?
    For example wallet A has 120 xrp, I add 120xrp to wallet B so 100xrp shows up in wallet B. If I transfer everything out of B to A do I have 120xrp + 120xrp = 240xrp or 120xrp + 100xrp and lose 20xrp = 220xrp. 
    Hope that makes sense!

GreeBo wrote: »
    to the vast majority of people you might as well have said "its just a few snips and then you replace the damaged heart valve with the new one"

Not to anyone below the age of, say, 40. In my opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bunderoon

jon1981 wrote: »
    It kind of goes against everything I think about when I'm investing in equities. In stocks I'd be looking at quarterly results, revenues, new product launches,who's involved, sentiment...etc.

In Crypto, I and many others are holding but don't know why? None of us can answer the question of why will it hit 3 dollars?

With the talk of XRP being included in Coinbase (2.50-3.00 dollars) and if it actually does, then it will jump by another 50% I'd say before settling down again.
    As another poster has said, make hay while this sun is shining.

Not to anyone below the age of, say, 40. In my opinion of course.
    Most people will have heard of bitcoin, maybe the blockchain and that's it. After that it's double dutch. You can learn double dutch, of course, but that's where most people click on Facebook instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's complex, technical, unintuitive and risky

I wouldn't trust anyone in e.g my family to handle any of this without me over their shoulder. One mistake, one mis-click and it's gone. Wallet bugs, exchange risk, malware, clunky exchanges.. the sheer amount of passwords, paper wallets, USB keys, passphrases, 2FA, 2FA backup and crap I have to manage is mental

I would gladly pay fees to an externally rated and audited institution to take care of and insure all this bull**** for me

Most people will have heard of bitcoin, maybe the blockchain and that's it. After that it's double dutch. You can learn double dutch, of course, but that's where most people click on Facebook instead.

Yes, I understand that. Thankfully, I haven't said anywhere that understanding blockchain or investment or trading strategies is easy.

What I dispute is complex is the actual mechanics of trading once you're up and running with your initial stack, e.g. from coinbase. It's very easy to move some BTC/ETH/LTC to Binance and use it to buy something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

Yes, I understand that. Thankfully, I haven't said anywhere that understanding blockchain or investment or trading strategies is easy.

What I dispute is complex is the actual mechanics of trading once you're up and running with your initial stack, e.g. from coinbase. It's very easy to move some BTC/ETH/LTC to Binance and use it to buy something else.

If I could actually get any funds into CB, I’d be happy:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Do people actually think it's worth investing in Ripple at its current price?

dodzy wrote: »
    If I could actually get any funds into CB, I’d be happy:(

They can easily be bought with a card. 4% fee.

keano25 wrote: »
    Do people actually think it's worth investing in Ripple at its current price?

Yes, but definitely not with money you cant afford to lose.

3 dollars imminent :eek:

Now what :D

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Just hit $3 on coinmarketcap, just need Bittrex to follow suit and maybe a cash in of some will be in order!!! January sales and all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭crushproof

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Just hit $3 on coinmarketcap, just need Bittrex to follow suit and maybe a cash in of some will be in order!!! January sales and all. :)
    I was meant to cancel a sell order for half my XRP this morning when I saw the upswing but got stuck in work. The dam sale went through at $2.65.
    I can see it hitting 3 in a matter of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

DVD-Lots wrote: »

I can only see $2.76 on coinmarket , has it dropped 0.24c already in 5 minutes . It only seems to be going up . Not questioning it wasn't there but just want to be sure before making any decisions myself on another exchange

millhouse wrote: »
    I can only see $2.76 on coinmarket , has it dropped 0.24c already in 5 minutes . It only seems to be going up . Not questioning it wasn't there but just want to be sure before making any decisions myself on another exchange

Showing 3.02 for me

Clearly, this whole thing is a doddle. Everything always goes up, right? :P

One thing I was amazed at was how complicated it is to buy/exchange cryptos. How many people have thought "I'll have some of that!" only to give up at mention of wallets, exchanges, KYC etc. It really seems the preserve of the technically savvy to win or lose on this grand stage.

Yeah, as a newb I'm feeling that way too :pac:

Ah but seriously, I lost some cash yesterday on SUB by foolishly trying to day-trade it and time the market, at a terrible time. The minute I relented with it and sold (at a small loss), the price started to go up. Of course it fúcking did!

Thankfully I used that SUB to buy some VeChain (VEN) and about 10 minutes after I took a position on that, the price went up 20% and seems to be finding support at that level today.

About the amount of new blood altcoins is going to attract, I will say this having just started myself a few weeks ago - There is no get rich quick scheme at play here for many of us. There might not even be a 'get rich....ever' scheme at play for many of us putting decent money in the game.

Even though technically we are just making a few clicks and moving some funds around, the research side of things is endless. Keeping up to date with the Crypto news, learning to recognise the quality Youtube content from the shilling, click-bait shít. Learning to read price charts, learning about blockchain tech through books like 'The Internet of Money' and 'Mastering Bitcoin'. This is all work, and the reason why there is no get rich quick/easy scheme at play.

Anyone coming into these threads for the first time, posting one sentence saying "Which is the next coin to go up so I put a thousand on it and make a fortune?" without being willing to do even a bit of their own research, should probably just not invest their money in Cryptos, period.

So with 'You need to put in the work' in mind, I submit the following TLDR article for reading, on top of my TLDR post! The below link is a long read, very long, but a worthwhile read on where Ripple and Stellar, two very hot coins at the moment, are coming from. The article is over 2 years old, but still full of insight into an industry many of us are rushing to pump our money into...

http://observer.com/2015/02/the-race-to-replace-bitcoin/

Will this article tell you which way the price of Ripple and Stellar will go in the next 24 hours? No.

Will it offer a revealing glimpse at the machinations and some of the main characters behind the Crypto curtain? Absolutely. Plus, does anyone remember hearing about the young Collison brothers who made Irish news last year for becoming Silicon Valley billionaires? Well, this article tells you a bit about them and their technology too. Very good read if you are at all interested in Ripple or Stellar, or just Cryptos in general.

A few of us might get lucky with a random punt on a cheap coin at the right time without any research. The rest of us have to work for it. Reading articles like the above and becoming familiar with the names, personalities and motives behind these coins is the minimum level of that work. IMO.

P.S: This XRP spike today is making my hands weak, but I'm HODLing until $5...I swear, I am!

• Advertisement

All aboard, Choo ****ing Choo.

Serious surge still going.

Advertisement