Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭antimatterx

DvB wrote: »
    Ah fingers crossed it wont come to that. Have seen what its like for people to be let go just before Christmas (& in 1 case on the 23rd Dec) and its such a downer. Hopefully you'll be okay.

Thank you. Hopefully it doesn't, but I'm not to worried if it does. I'm in tech, and the job market seems to be flying again. I'm so so lucky my industry hasn't been badly effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Thank you. Hopefully it doesn't, but I'm not to worried if it does. I'm in tech, and the job market seems to be flying again. I'm so so lucky my industry hasn't been badly effected.

Good to hear.
    I know we're all just 'internet names' in here but still, hate to see anyone that pops in here having a bad/hard time of it. :)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Good to hear.
    I know we're all just 'internet names' in here but still, hate to see anyone that pops in here having a bad/hard time of it. :)

Theres a great community of people in here. Seeing the increase in posts as Christmas approaches creates a great sense of comraderie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I'm preparing for giving presents early this year, so I'll be delvng into the Christmas boxes at some stage to see how many cards I've left over from last year. I have my eye on some new ones online :D

Every year I say we are not doing cards this year as the cost seems to go up and up however every year we do. Will probably do this year for sure as might not get to see as many people, in person, as we usually would.
    Good to hear.

I know what you're saying, I have tendency to get personally invested in people and even though I have never met anyone in here in person (that I know of!) I still feel happy, upset etc with their good/bad news.

BTW, I know CL hasn't been in much lately, however if you are watching hope all going well with the not so new arrival :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I recently got my attic floored and shelved and a proper ladder put in. Today Christmas moved from under the stairs and on the landing to the attic for the first time in 7 years (since my ex moved out, I was terrified trying to get up there with a normal ladder). Only 3 months until it comes back down!

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Every year I say we are not doing cards this year as the cost seems to go up and up however every year we do. Will probably do this year for sure as might not get to see as many people, in person, as we usually would.

I only give cards with presents so 2 packs tend to last me maybe 2-3 years. This year we might send more out, as you said, we've barely seen anyone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

117947422_3156047744508239_5813067442942222637_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=x9ppHwi8pzMAX_m3EBr&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=481cda64adc3161d5820b662d4176f3d&oe=5F624FA3

117947422_3156047744508239_5813067442942222637_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=x9ppHwi8pzMAX_m3EBr&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=481cda64adc3161d5820b662d4176f3d&oe=5F624FA3

:eek:
    I want!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Excellent! I look forward to dunking them into a hot beverage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭DenMan

Is it just me or have the evening's completely closed in? A week ago it was dark at 10pm, now it's 9pm. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DenMan wrote: »
    Is it just me or have the evening's completely closed in? A week ago it was dark at 10pm, now it's 9pm. :eek:

Yeah I’ve noticed that. It doesn’t help it’s so dull out at the moment due to all the rain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have, it's mad- it was dark just before 9 the other night. (I can't remember which one, as they've all been wet and miserable!)

Hope all safe after last night, especially anyone down South.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Hope all safe after last night, especially anyone down South.

Thanks TRS30 - definitely a wild one here in Cork. Thunder and lightning now and I’m sure the plague of locusts will be along shortly :D. Good old 2020 - the year that keeps on giving :)

Hope everyone was safe last night. I'm in Dublin and it was even insane here where I am.

Just back from a site visit to Rathdrum this morning, absolute carnage down there with the wind & rain, driving back wa sno fun at all, then as soon as I get to Tallaght on the M50 the sun comes out & it feels like a different day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

The rain here is biblical :eek:

Just back from a site visit to Rathdrum this morning, absolute carnage down there with the wind & rain, driving back wa sno fun at all, then as soon as I get to Tallaght on the M50 the sun comes out & it feels like a different day!

Lashing here one minute, sun splitting the stones the next!

I watched the Gavin and Stacey Christmas special from 2019 last night and just as it finished we had a power cut!

typical Irish day really :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭DenMan

I watched the Gavin and Stacey Christmas special from 2019 last night and just as it finished we had a power cut!

Hope you got your power back.

DenMan wrote: »
    Hope you got your power back.

I did thanks.
    In other news Aldi UK are doing this and it might be here also
    A huge Ferrero Rocher style Dome for Christmas!
    “Filled with milk chocolate and hazelnut mousse, milk chocolate crispy feuilletine and a soft cocoa sponge cake, all coated in a hard chocolate and hazelnut shell ready for you to crack into at the table”

117798777_3152227871556893_734938477642916277_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=g-H3_R5a6BsAX-v1VTM&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub3-1.fna&tp=14&oh=5a5ce2267707ca5211dc350b31a57669&oe=5F64DD4C

That sounds amazing!

We just had some bad gusts that woke us around 2ish, no damage or power cuts. Lots and lots of rain though, that somehow managed to get into the garage... Today has been grand, blustery with lots of showers, and sunshine in between. Very Autumny :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Same here although it’s raining like crazy out now.

Very Autumny :)

Bye bye summer. Hello Christmas :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I am convinced now that this is at least October, no way I can get August through my head at all.

Awful wind and rain here in Dublin for the last couple of hours- tonight sounds worse than last night!

Yet this morning is sunny & bright (if a tad breezy!) though I suspect that'll change :)

Yet this morning is sunny & bright (if a tad breezy!) though I suspect that'll change :)

At 5.30am the wind and rain was something else. This really is mad weather.

Loughc wrote: »
    At 5.30am the wind and rain was something else. This really is mad weather.

Kinda fitting really given the year we've had.

• Advertisement

Just copped whilst putting up the weekly countdown that we're less than 4 weeks from double digits on the daily count... how'd that happen? Wow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement