Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This popped onto my Spotify. It's catchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We'll ye're never going to guess what I'm going to say now!
    We're into the 120's and we're also half ways through August!
    In two weeks time it will be Autumn(for certain), the schools will be back(Hopefully), they'll be announcing who's going to be on the audience free Late Late Show and we'll have 100 days to go in sight.

Bombing along as we used to say as kids.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jude13

otnomart wrote: »
    ...One of my fave Christmas ad characters was Mrs Claus from Marks and Spencer, would like to see another advert with her on another outing (the helicopter was so cool)

I second this, I want to see Mrs Claus in all the adverts. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I would also like to see some continuity, meaning characters from previous ads with a new storyline.
    One of my fave Christmas ad characters was Mrs Claus from Marks and Spencer, would like to see another advert with her on another outing (the helicopter was so cool)

Was reading this morning they are cutting 7K jobs so I'd say a big budget Christmas ad is out the window :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We'll ye're never going to guess what I'm going to say now!
    We're into the 120's and we're also half ways through August!
    In two weeks time it will be Autumn(for certain), the schools will be back(Hopefully), they'll be announcing who's going to be on the audience free Late Late Show and we'll have 100 days to go in sight.

Jaysus the ten's are flying in... won't be long to go until double digits!!
    TRS30 wrote: »
    Was reading this morning they are cutting 7K jobs so I'd say a big budget Christmas ad is out the window :(

Yeah that was a surprise announcement from M&S... I thought supermarkets thrived during lockdown, I know M&S do clothes as well so that must have done the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

So sad seeing all the job cuts - in the retail sector and elsewhere

The Mrs Claus ad was a good one, I'm surprised they didn't feature her again.
    I ended up falling down the rabbit hole of Christmas ads on YouTube yesterday, I missed loads of them last year so I think I'm all caught up now :)
    The news about Marks & Spencers wasn't great to wake up to this morning. I always pop in during the run up to Christmas, and I found their online shop really handy during lockdown.  Hopefully things start improving soon...

So sad seeing all the job cuts - in the retail sector and elsewhere

Sorry, just reading my post again and sounds a bit insensitive (wasn't meant to be at all), Christmas ads are insignificant compared to effect this is going to have peoples lives.

Some of their food adverts are unbelievable though, your mouth would be watering looking at them, you can almost smell & taste the food they're that good, would hate for them to be dropped this year!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

The Mrs Claus ad was a good one, I'm surprised they didn't feature her again.
    I ended up falling down the rabbit hole of Christmas ads on YouTube yesterday, I missed loads of them last year so I think I'm all caught up now :)

Dont forget to look back on our old advert threads in here too, some great reading & watching in them.

• Advertisement

Sorry, just reading my post again and sounds a bit insensitive (wasn't meant to be at all), Christmas ads are insignificant compared to effect this is going to have peoples lives.
    Not at all ! I did not read it as insensitive.

And Yes, every section of the economy (including the advertising industry) means people and their jobs - at the end of the day.
    Let's hope the economy holds up somehow - despite the worrying outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Loughc wrote: »

Yeah that was a surprise announcement from M&S... I thought supermarkets thrived during lockdown, I know M&S do clothes as well so that must have done the damage.

M&S have really lost money when other supermarkets started doing specially selected, higher end brands, etc.
    Just from stuff I’ve read online they’ve tried countless things to promote ladies clothes, etc over the last few years and they get no where.
    I think I even read Next profits are a lot higher than them.

DvB wrote: »
    Dont forget to look back on our old advert threads in here too, some great reading & watching in them.

I definitely will! Last Christmas was such a blur. We weren't long in the house, and we left all our shopping very late (it was kind of fun but at the same time I hated not being organised :o). We don't have TV channels in the house either so it shouldn't really surprise me that I missed so many :)

Question for those that have Disney+, we don't have kids in our house, but was wondering would it be worth getting Disney+ for around Christmas?

M&S have really lost money when other supermarkets started doing specially selected, higher end brands, etc.
    Just from stuff I’ve read online they’ve tried countless things to promote ladies clothes, etc over the last few years and they get no where.
    I think I even read Next profits are a lot higher than them.

Funnily enough I noticed during my weekly queue outside dunnes in blanch when only supermarkets were allowed open that the M&S store in the centre wasn't open (at least I dont remember it being open), so whilst they are well known for their extremely tasty food I don't think all the stores stock that much of it with some being predominantly clothing. So the closures at the time may have affected them moreso than other supermarkets.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Question for those that have Disney+, we don't have kids in our house, but was wondering would it be worth getting Disney+ for around Christmas?

I had it briefly for a month or 2 myself before I cancelled it, I only cancelled it as realistically I don't have time to add another streaming platform in my life haha.

For kids tho yes I would recommend it, loads of movies from animated to Marvel to Star Wars, loads for all ages and flavas.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Jaysus the ten's are flying in... won't be long to go until double digits!!

The clothes section has dwindled off for sure. Over on mumsnet (pretty much their key demographic) the last few years there's been threads from time to time from plenty of their key demographic customers decrying the increasingly selection. The luxury options from other supermarkets didn't help I'm sure.

I had it briefly for a month or 2 myself before I cancelled it, I only cancelled it as realistically I don't have time to add another streaming platform in my life haha.

For kids tho yes I would recommend it, loads of movies from animated to Marvel to Star Wars, loads for all ages and flavas.

I love Disney but I think I'll give it a miss, and stick to my long list of Christmas movies instead :)

It’s a Netflix exclusive globally so it should be available on any Netflix platform.

All the talk of Klaus in here had the whole family watch it again tonight, truly a fantastic film. The ending still gave me a real lump in the throat. Will definitely be watching again in the next 3 or 4 months. And for years to come too.

I just realized I have an internal body clock when it comes to Christmas.

From Jan - Apr I'm longing for Christmas and the days gone by.

May - Mid August I'm in Summer mode and not missing Christmas at all and every year I ponder have I lost my Christmas magic and then

Late August - December I'm in Christmas mode.

And rinse and repeat each and every year.

I think the dull wet past couple of days and seeing the Christmas sweets in the shops has activated my Christmas mode this year haha. I woke up this morning humming a now very old Christmas Jingle from the old Ray Foley Breakfast show on 98FM.

Definitely feeling a rise in Christmas 'mood' so to speak, I think starting to see more references out & about & on TV etc it starts to work away at you mentally, probably without even being aware its happening. But definitely starting to feel the vibe that its coming soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think after year we just had, Christmas is going to be our only chance to have a "normal time" this year, and people in general are going to try to enjoy themselves.

If that means starting Christmas now, I'm all for it :D

Late August - December I'm in Christmas mode
    I am the same.
    Only exception: if the weather is nice in late August, I wait until early September and then I am in !

I have already decided that because I still have days working from home (currently 2 days pw, but could yet go back to all 5:confused:) I am going to christmas up my home office with some lights & decorations & will definitely be playing christmas fm in the background & maybe some christmas related podcasts too (already getting through the older 'cant wait for christmas' ones atm :D) I may never get the opportunity again (not a chance we could do it in our office itself) & by god will need cheering up if we still have this mess going on with restrictions etc.

I am the same.
    Only exception: if the weather is nice in late August, I wait until early September and then I am in !

Given the weather this week it may as well be December!

DvB wrote: »
    I have already decided that because I still have days working from home (currently 2 days pw, but could yet go back to all 5:confused:) I am going to christmas up my home office with some lights & decorations & will definitely be playing christmas fm in the background & maybe some christmas related podcasts too (already getting through the older 'cant wait for christmas' ones atm :D) I may never get the opportunity again & by god will need cheering up if we still have this mess going on with restrictions etc.

Good point, I'm currently listening to a Christmas Podcast now, "Merry Britmas" as you can guess it's very British but it's very good.

I think they way things are going the work from home restriction will extend right into 2021. And if it does I will be blaring out the Christmas tunes from my home office in November haha.

The Christmas lights is a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Good point, I'm currently listening to a Christmas Podcast now, "Merry Britmas" as you can guess it's very British but it's very good.

I think they way things are going the work from home restriction will extend right into 2021. And if it does I will be blaring out the Christmas tunes from my home office in November haha.

The Christmas lights is a good idea!

My company has been WFH since the lockdown (obviously), but they're saying we can keep it until the end of the year. The SMT are all behind it. In reality, it's going to go further into 2021. I wouldn't be surprised if we react the 1 year mark WFH.

I'm on fixed term 3 month contracts, as my company are fearful of hiring people full time. I'm guaranteed work until the end of November, so if things go south, I'll have the entire of December off :p

I just realized I have an internal body clock when it comes to Christmas.

From Jan - Apr I'm longing for Christmas and the days gone by.

May - Mid August I'm in Summer mode and not missing Christmas at all and every year I ponder have I lost my Christmas magic and then

Late August - December I'm in Christmas mode.

And rinse and repeat each and every year.

I think the dull wet past couple of days and seeing the Christmas sweets in the shops has activated my Christmas mode this year haha. I woke up this morning humming a now very old Christmas Jingle from the old Ray Foley Breakfast show on 98FM.

I could have written that!

As had been said before, the kids going back to school is the end of the summer for me and start of autumn. Weather is changing, still hot but days getting shorter and doesn't feel like summer. Even thought we have a lot on with birthdays, anniversaries etc over the next few months Christmas is more and more on my mind.

Finally getting round to start tackling the disaster that our attic has become so was looking at some Christmas decorations last night when tidying up and really pulled on the old heart strings. Elf 2 has also been going on about Christmas over the last couple of days for some reasons, mainly around what presents he wants from Santa :D

I'm guaranteed work until the end of November, so if things go south, I'll have the entire of December off :p

Ah fingers crossed it wont come to that. Have seen what its like for people to be let go just before Christmas (& in 1 case on the 23rd Dec) and its such a downer. Hopefully you'll be okay.

Depends what you are looking for I guess. They have an amazing back catalogue of material and some Christmas classics (Muppets Christmas Carol being my fav). Mainly is kids stuff, obviously, franchise movies like Marvel and documentaries.

• Advertisement

Depends what you are looking for I guess. They have an amazing back catalogue of material and some Christmas classics (Muppets Christmas Carol being my fav). Mainly is kids stuff, obviously, franchise movies like Marvel and documentaries.

I had a look at the list yesterday and was both mildly baffled and amused to see nature documentaries on it :)
    I have Muppets on a hard drive, and it is next on the list for watching, along with Elf. We just didn't have time last year, I plan on having many movie marathons this Christmas!

I'm preparing for giving presents early this year, so I'll be delvng into the Christmas boxes at some stage to see how many cards I've left over from last year. I have my eye on some new ones online :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement