Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Whereabouts are you Otto? we could set up and ExpatXmas thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Jude13 wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you Otto? we could set up and ExpatXmas thread.
    Sure ! There is a Living Abroad forum but it it very quiet at the moment.
    I am in Europe; before the pandemic, I did not feel far from home, but now the World feels a lot bigger and the Continents more away from each other - to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Yes, I know that feeling. I took a 14 hour flight home when my brother's wife went in to labour and got there to celebrate with him, stayed a few hours and flew back. Now that is a no go.

I used to live in France and it was hop home any weekend you wanted. Those days are gone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I settled into bed with my chocolate to watch Klaus after reading your post today...… but I cant seem to find it on Netflix :(

Sorry to hear that, only reading your post this morning.
    Did you go into the "search" section? Hopefully you can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »

Also, add me to the underwhelmed by the Christmas Chronicles camp!

Funnily enough I didn't mind the Christmas Chronicles 'that' much, don't get me wrong it was no cracker, but did the job one miserable sunday afternoon watching it with the kids, better than 90% of those hallmark movies anyway. Unlikely I'd sit down to watch again anytime soon though.

Klaus is great though. I wasnt expecting much but was very pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Definitely added to the watchlist for 2020.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Is Klaus Netflix only? Some of us are still in the dark ages with our Sky boxes :)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Is Klaus Netflix only? Some of us are still in the dark ages with our Sky boxes :)

I think so. HAvent seen it on Sky, not yet anyway.

There are of course other ways to stream but I couldn't possible endorse or advise as to how to go about that :)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    There are of course other ways to stream but I couldn't possible endorse or advise as to how to go about that :)

Ah........nod...nod....wink..wink :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

One of my favourite Christmas films is probably an odd one (and the lads would rip me out if it if they knew) is A Christmas visitor. My mother constantly had this on, and whenever I came home from college during December, it was always on.

I'd recommend it, if you're ever in the mood for a cheerful film.

Deck The Halls was on TV one of the days last week. It starred Danny DeVito and Matthew Broderick, didn't think it was that good to be honest..supposed to be a comedy, put it this way it no National Lampoons Christmas Vacation :)

• Advertisement

On a side note I am going to go to the M50 Christmas Shop tomorrow to pick up a couple of sets of lights.
    Went in July the last two years and August this year so you could almost call it a Christmas tradition at this stage!

Deck The Halls was on TV one of the days last week. It starred Danny DeVito and Matthew Broderick, didn't think it was that good to be honest..supposed to be a comedy, put it this way it no National Lampoons Christmas Vacation :)

Saw a bit of that myself, turned it off though as i'd missed the start & it looked 'not the best' shall we say:D

Managed to watch it to the end, just!

"Three out of four people think brands should not produce their usual style of Christmas campaigns this year and activity should focus on real people, new research suggests.A survey of 2,000 adults has found that 63% agree brands should not spend money on big, lavish Christmas ads this year, as big-budget "blockbusters" fall out of favour in the Covid-19 era."
    Full article here: https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/christmas-2020-public-favours-real-stories-big-budget-campaigns/1691996

When I think back at my favourites from last year:

Hafod (the Welsh hardware shop) and Little Lies from New Zealand Post, they were definitely low key - the first one was definitely low budget as well.

What kind of advert would you like to see ?

otnomart wrote: »
    "Three out of four people think brands should not produce their usual style of Christmas campaigns this year and activity should focus on real people, new research suggests.A survey of 2,000 adults has found that 63% agree brands should not spend money on big, lavish Christmas ads this year, as big-budget "blockbusters" fall out of favour in the Covid-19 era."
    Full article here: https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/christmas-2020-public-favours-real-stories-big-budget-campaigns/1691996

Hafod (the Welsh hardware shop) and Little Lies from New Zealand Post, they were definitely low key - the first one was definitely low budget as well.

Had a feeling it would go like that this year. I think there will be a big push on charity theme ads, money going to help the fight against C-19 etc. I just hope they don't all become very similar and lose that great variety, highlighted by the two ads you mentioned above.

I just watched the two ads and I loved them. One of my favourites would be similar-ish, the Lidl one, where the family brings grandad out to the house, and the little one sits into a vacant chair beside grandad, and he smiles at her. I'd like to see something like the ads above, or just pure escapism, magic stuff for the kiddies (me being a big kid).
    I imagine we'll see ads featuring frontline workers, and maybe charity campaigns like sponsor a light/decoration.

I would also like to see some continuity, meaning characters from previous ads with a new storyline.
    One of my fave Christmas ad characters was Mrs Claus from Marks and Spencer, would like to see another advert with her on another outing (the helicopter was so cool)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,216 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I like simple ads with a few decorations, people in them, food, etc. They don't have to be overly expensive but festive and cheery.
    I have a feeling this year the ads are going to be all about family being important after this challenging year, we lost loved ones, etc and I think they'll be a little dreary.

I'm currently watching a true story about a murder in 2010 in Birstol and it's snowing similar to all the snow we had that Christmas 2010.
    Anybody remember that when people thought that a bit of snow was the worst thing ever?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Was that the Joanna Yeates murder?

I remember her body was found out in the snow on Christmas day 2010. It was so sad. :(

• Advertisement

Was that the Joanna Yeates murder?

I remember her body was found out in the snow on Christmas day 2010. It was so sad. :(

Yes, it's on ITV. It's about that was accused in the wrong.
    I remember that case very well for some reason. It's unusual for a UK to get so much coverage over her.

Oh yeah, they vilified the 'eccentric' landlord and the press dragged him through the mud.
    Terrible case, I remember it well too- I think finding the poor girl on a snowy Christmas morning made it stick in my mind, plus all the slander with Christopher Jefferies.

That Lidl advert is one of the best ever IMO, iirc it scored reasonably well in our ultimate advert playlist poll too. Would love to see it return.
    TBH a downplaying of excess is a great opportunity for the brands to get inventive this year, so I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing some genuinely touching adverts.

I think we've all accepted at this stage its going to be an unorthodox Christmas, however anything out of the ordinary can be a fabulously inventive and creative opportunity so fingers crossed its a memorable one for all the right reasons.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    Also, bounty is my favorite of that brand, I'm a QS man though.

I had to buy a multipack of bounty’s I’ve been craving them so much since everyone started talking about them.

Loughc wrote: »
    I had to buy a multipack of bounty’s I’ve been craving them so much since everyone started talking about them.

If you find any of the dark chocolate ones let me know, love them, not sure if they still make them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭angel_wings

DvB wrote: »
    Just saw it there on ours too.

Thats really odd! Its definitely not on mine.

Are you using a different Netflix than the UK one maybe?

Thats really odd! Its definitely not on mine.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80183187?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

Hopefully the link will work for you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Are you using a different Netflix than the UK one maybe?

It’s a Netflix exclusive globally so it should be available on any Netflix platform.

• Advertisement

We'll ye're never going to guess what I'm going to say now!
    We're into the 120's and we're also half ways through August!
    In two weeks time it will be Autumn(for certain), the schools will be back(Hopefully), they'll be announcing who's going to be on the audience free Late Late Show and we'll have 100 days to go in sight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement