Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Im always being told that looking forward to Christmas so much is like "wishing your life away" and sometimes I think people might be right on this;)

I cant help but wish this terrible year was over though and after all the pain, sadness and confusion, what better way could we end than with the joy on children's faces (and mine:D) when the decorations go up and the gifts arrive:D

I'm a planner my nature so like to be organised, know what is happening and when. Some will say that is very boring and not spontaneous and they might be right however I feel better when I know I am organised and have 'my list' of things ticked off. Christmas is a big event spanning a number of weeks (months!) so I couldn't just start thinking about on the 1st Dec and hope that everything works out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,152 ✭✭✭✭DvB

An article re: few food/drink related trends for christmas 2020

https://www.wearethecream.co.uk/articles/five-retail-trends-for-christmas-2020
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Im always being told that looking forward to Christmas so much is like "wishing your life away" and sometimes I think people might be right on this;)

I cant help but wish this terrible year was over though and after all the pain, sadness and confusion, what better way could we end than with the joy on children's faces (and mine:D) when the decorations go up and the gifts arrive:D

I think people are really going to try to enjoy Christmas more than usual this year. It's been an awful year, and Christmas is just amazing. Hopefully pubs/restaurants can go back to normal levels and make some extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,259 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’ve been told that also.
    I’m lethal for counting down the time tough.
    With school, college, work I sometimes literally countdown the seconds.

Understatement alert :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I’ve been told that also.
    With school, college, work I sometimes literally countdown the seconds.

I'm counting down to my retirement.... and that's YEARS AND YEARS away...

They never say that to people who are looking forward to their summer holidays, though, do they? Talk about double standards....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

TRS30 wrote: »
    Understatement alert :D
    :D
    New Home wrote: »
    They never say that to people who are looking forward to their summer holidays, though, do they? Talk about double standards....
    I KNOW.
    I'm always annoyed that it's socially acceptable to discuss your August holiday when you've just booked it in January, but in September it's like "Ugh, don't mention the C word!" if you mention Christmas. :rolleyes:

We've the first quarter of the 200's done!

We've the first quarter of the 200's done!

You weren't messing when you said you were a man for the countdowns & dissecting them to within an inch of their lives :D

& I thought I was bad :pac:
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Posy wrote: »
    :D

I KNOW.
    I'm always annoyed that it's socially acceptable to discuss your August holiday when you've just booked it in January, but in September it's like "Ugh, don't mention the C word!" if you mention Christmas. :rolleyes:

I completely agree!!! I used to always love Winter cos of the cosy nights in front of the fire and the extreme weather but if I every said it in front of anyone else, there was looks of horror, but they were able to talk about looking forward to Summer no problem :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    You weren't messing when you said you were a man for the countdowns & dissecting them to within an inch of their lives :D

& I thought I was bad :pac:

This year with everything being cancelled my countdown is really messed up! However the time is flying.

This year with everything being cancelled my countdown is really messed up! However the time is flying.

Yeah it really is, bizarre isn't it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Came across this on Spotify this morning (well, I say "came across", I did search for "Christmas Podcasts" :pac:) - some of ye might like a listen :)

http://https://open.spotify.com/show/4z2iOPubVLmysf4JoMSUwZ?si=Jre4RytzSH-UM0YsKQ9TYw

Started listening to this. Really good recommendation I really like it. The host is just a normal person who loves Christmas. I really like it thanks for the share :)

Time really is flying, I can't believe today is the 4th of July. In a few months we'll be getting ready for Christmas. My tree usually goes up at the start of November, so thats basically next week :D.

Personally, I think this year is going fast because I'm working from home. Time just doesn't feel real.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Time really is flying, I can't believe today is the 4th of July. In a few months we'll be getting ready for Christmas. My tree usually goes up at the start of November, so thats basically next week :D.

Personally, I think this year is going fast because I'm working from home. Time just doesn't feel real.

I just love Christmas, but if I put the tree up at the start of November, the wife would leave me... Hmm;)

I just love Christmas, but if I put the tree up at the start of November, the wife would leave me... Hmm;)

I still live with the folks, so I have no control over it. But I'm not complaining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Heating on in the middle of the day in July, it's been almost wintery the last few days.

We were going to head out for a walk but that wind and rain put us off. Very winter-esque.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Stupid Octember weather!!! It's worse than Smarch!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I hate Smarch! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Sitting watching Movies 24 Christmas films. Cheering me up in this terrible weather. :)
    I don’t think they are Oscar contenders though :)

I like your updated avatar, Posy, it's so now! :D

In other news, durring the after Christmas sales I'd got myself a few of these (Christmas themed, obviously). I took them out of their box earlier to cheer myself up, they're absolutely stunning. I got some matching oil burners too. :)

https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=tealight+porcelain+lamps+see+through+dome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Invited my parents for dinner today and seeing how the weather was so awful, decided to go full tilt into "Christmas in July". Full Turkey and Ham dinner, was only missing the brussels sprouts! Was a celebration as it was the first time they've been inside our home since the first week of March :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy the avatar.... Amazing!! Well played.

In a food coma here after a weekend ending takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

New Home wrote: »
    I like your updated avatar, Posy, it's so now! :D

In other news, durring the after Christmas sales I'd got myself a few of these (Christmas themed, obviously). I took them out of their box earlier to cheer myself up, they're absolutely stunning. I got some matching oil burners too. :)

https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=tealight+porcelain+lamps+see+through+dome

We were given one of these as a present from my OH's grandparents, it has some religious theme on it. It is beautiful when its the only light in the room.

We're currently to and fro-ing about going home for Christmas as it may be the only time we get home this year. My parents are getting on and her grandparents are hanging in there. We want them to see the smallest elf. It's such a mess.

Came across the following when looking at Christmas stuff earlier

https://www.christmasuk.org/

Has some good stuff. Also like the red box at the bottom of the home page, sums us lots up pretty well :D

Came across the following when looking at Christmas stuff earlier

https://www.christmasuk.org/

Has some good stuff. Also like the red box at the bottom of the home page, sums us lots up pretty well :D

That's the other site I frequent for christmas magic!! You can follow them on twitter & facebook as well. Heavy on the adverts which for folk like me is fantastic!!

DvB wrote: »
    That's the other site I frequent for christmas magic!! You can follow them on twitter & facebook as well. Heavy on the adverts which for folk like me is fantastic!!

I'll be honest DvB, you were the first person who popped into my head when I looking at all the TV ad content. :)

I'll be honest DvB, you were the first person who popped into my head when I looking at all the TV ad content. :)

Its a great site, should be mandatory reading for regulars in here in fact :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Christmas FM put up on Facebook yesterday that they will be making a big announcement this week, anyone got the scoop on this? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement