Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,149 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Yes, my company always offers the Flu jab for free. Have never taken it up but I will this year.

Speaking of work, everyone is giving out how wintery it is and how they had to put on the heating or light the fire.

We do the same re: the flu jab & I swear by it now. I used to get at least 2 colds every year, one before christmas & another over or after christmas, the last couple of years having gotten the flu jab I've not had a thing, now I know its not meant to stop the common cold but its some coincidence if not.

Have never had the flu myself. Many i know claim to have but in reality have just had heavy colds or suchlike or a few flu like symptoms. My mum had it a few years ago and it was no joke, definitely one to be avoided!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Posy wrote: »
    I get the flu vaccine every year, and that is why. It is an awful thing.

I do get it every year as well - I'm in an "at risk" group. Unfortunately, last year, I just happened to get a strain that wasn't covered by it.

Lads & Lassies, anyone interested in forming a new football supporters club.... I've found the perfect team!

l9WprwT.png
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

People with a light sniffle complaining that they have the flu really grind my gears!!

People with a light sniffle complaining that they have the flu really grind my gears!!

You & me both. Have heard it from so many people over the years when its clear they've never come within an asses roar of the thing.

Some flu like symptoms is not having the flu!

• Advertisement

My last employer offered vaccinations to staff too, I'll miss that. I wonder is there a link or just a coincidence, because I've also not had a cold since I've been getting the flu jab. I do get blocked sinuses/sinus infections though, bloody allergies :(

It's so yuck out, my cat has decided he's having a duvet day, he's tucked himself in and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Yes, my company always offers the Flu jab for free. Have never taken it up but I will this year.

Speaking of work, everyone is giving out how wintery it is and how they had to put on the heating or light the fire.

Same with mine and been getting for the last 3 or 4 years now even thought I'm not in an at risk category. Been fortunate never to have had it and has definitely only ever got a common cold!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The difference between flu and a cold is I only had flu twice in my life and I can vividly remember both times. I’ve had numerous colds and couldn't tell you the last time I had one even though it was recent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I inevitability catch a cold or stomach every Autumn, usually a few weeks in to the new school year as do my teaching colleagues. Should be interesting to see if teachers will stay at home when they are sick Now instead of forcing themselves to work through illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Mine is usually strep throat, kicks in the day after I go on leave following two weeks madness/stress to enable me to go on leave. I am just about better returning to work.

My firm last year did the flu jab and I availed.

• Advertisement

One of the good things about not been in the office the last few months is not been subjected to the 'air conditioning'. Not that I would really call it that, its more just recirculated air full of germs and always either too hot or too cold :(

Being at home has definitely helped me not get a runny nose or sore throat as often as I usually would. Even more so for my wife who is more prone to it then me.

Looks like I will be home till next year, should get confirmation later today. Will be great to have more time around Christmas to do things, pop out to shops etc and hopefully not be as stressed running around as I usually seem to be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I wonder if the department of education would run similar for education workers!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

fdQZC_qcvGv8Vdl3dCRGUVReC_mTrEGWshVI-MAWRpq2B9gVBSq57dOQDsy5-OyU19wnE9a3Zy5AQE2d6iRSdwqTwpGyD9Kxv18MUW0iycYVznV08NoF63EYgeKRf_92SgSwjvU

• Registered Users Posts: 30,246 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

happy-july-comic-book-style-word-eps-vector_csp47150348.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

^^^ First day of the second half of the year :)

We're over the top here people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

DvB wrote: »

Ha ha, it's downhill all the way from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Came across this on Spotify this morning (well, I say "came across", I did search for "Christmas Podcasts" :pac:) - some of ye might like a listen :)

http://https://open.spotify.com/show/4z2iOPubVLmysf4JoMSUwZ?si=Jre4RytzSH-UM0YsKQ9TYw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Is it any use?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »

And the decline into Christmas will be quicker as we only need to make it to November. :)

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    And the decline into Christmas will be quicker as we only need to make it to November. :)

Nov.1st = Christmas adverts!!! yay!

https://www.xmasclock.com/

For anyone to want to know to the sec :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

Leona Lewis has been busy writing Christmas songs for her new album.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/leona-lewis-writing-christmas-songs-in-lockdown-1008599.html

DenMan wrote: »
    Leona Lewis has been busy writing Christmas songs for her new album.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/leona-lewis-writing-christmas-songs-in-lockdown-1008599.html

Why do I feel like she's already done a Christmas album?

Loughc wrote: »
    Why do I feel like she's already done a Christmas album?

because she has...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas,_with_Love

TRS30 wrote: »
    https://www.xmasclock.com/

For anyone to want to know to the sec :D

If there ever looking for staff to run the clock I’d say I have a chance of getting the job!

If there ever looking for staff to run the clock I’d say I have a chance of getting the job!

'Sorry Mr/Mrs freshpopcorn, you are over qualified for the job........' :D

TRS30 wrote: »
    'Sorry Mr/Mrs freshpopcorn, you are over qualified for the job........' :D

I'd probably get fired for moving the clock forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

I'd probably get fired for moving the clock forward!

Im always being told that looking forward to Christmas so much is like "wishing your life away" and sometimes I think people might be right on this;)

I cant help but wish this terrible year was over though and after all the pain, sadness and confusion, what better way could we end than with the joy on children's faces (and mine:D) when the decorations go up and the gifts arrive:D

• Advertisement

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Im always being told that looking forward to Christmas so much is like "wishing your life away" and sometimes I think people might be right on this;)

I cant help but wish this terrible year was over though and after all the pain, sadness and confusion, what better way could we end than with the joy on children's faces (and mine:D) when the decorations go up and the gifts arrive:D

Have heard that saying more than a few times myself, though I always retort with something along the lines of 'I enjoy the here & now but like to have an eye to whats to come' anyway with a young family the 2 events in a year we have to plan for are our summer holidays (sniff, sniff) and Christmas, both of which take plenty of preparation so it would be a tad silly to not plan for these things in advance....

tahts my story anyway:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement