Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Seeing the current state of the UK & America with COVID19 has honestly made me worried about Christmas this year, I really feel we'll be back into some form of Lockdown this Winter. :(

I wouldn't be so worried myself, I can certainly see there being restrictions still in place, social distancing, hand washing, face coverings & cough etiquette are not going anywhere for a long time (or until a vaccine is found) but a full on lockdown similar to our heaviest enforced stage will be extremely difficult to get public buy in a second time round.

In reality the plan was never to kill the thing completely, it was to get some breathing room for the HSE to build up capacity & not get overwhelmed, that plan succeeded, incredibly well in fact based on ICU patients & hospitalised Covid 19 patients in general. All of a sudden the figures going up (& marginally at that) are triggering all kinds of panic, which is more of a poor communication issue from government than a sign a full on resurgence is inevitable.

For all the talk of flights from our poorly run neighbours East & West of us, in reality the passenger manifests are tiny from these destinations and have a minimal impact on spread. The mixed signals to Irish citizens looking to holiday abroad are the real balls up IMO. Clarity & a joined up strategy should have been implemented from the start, (preferably without Michael O'Leary deciding when we were ready to fly) & the fact thats still a mess is a national disgrace. But if the numbers stay low it 'should' be manageable.

Stick to the basics that got us doing so well in the first place and go hard on the masks in confined spaces and we are more than capable of keeping this under control without overwhelming the HSE.

But despite all that I think its clear too many have started to get complacent & are acting like this is done & dusted & thats the real risk area IMO & at a time communication to the public is diminishing day on day if it was up to me I'd be ramping it up again & hammering the basics home, over & over.

Christmas will be christmas, it might look a little different & we may not get to go to the pub (I can live with that in reality), but a full on lockdown simply wont be bought into by the public and wont have anything like the success rate of the first one, hence my gut feeling we'll see a series of rolling restrictions in an atempt to keep the numbers down, but simply cant see a full on closing down happening again unless it gets off the charts in the hospitals & ICU's.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Another Nicholas Cage Christmassy movie recommendation “Trapped in paradise”. Really enjoyable.

Watched this last night, thought it was okay, some nice (& funny) bits in it, but Dana Carvey's voice went through my head like a drill bit & put me right off by the end.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I’m actually not looking forward to it this year at all.
    I’ve a feeling he’ll turn it into a misery fest.

To be fair to tubbers (not often I can say that) he tends to go for broke on the Toy show and make it as enjoyable as possible for the kids, he's way less reserved in comparison to previous presenters & I actually applaud him for that.

I suspect after the run of misery laden episodes at the end of recent season it'll be more upbeat for the start of the new season, including the toy show.

I know I'm looking forward to it anyway, as are the rest of the family.

• Advertisement

If we have high numbers.
    I actually don’t know how Christmas will work this year to be honest.
    Take for instance people won’t really be able to come home to visit family from abroad unless they’ve loads of time off.
    Will you be able to visit a few families to drop off gifts on Christmas Eve?
    Will people be-careful of sharing gifts and homemade cakes, etc.
    How long can you have somebody over for if they call?
    Or I might be over thinking it.

The shopping will be fine but I think people will buy earlier.
    Providing we don’t have a spike people will go out shopping together and browse.
    Those who are very fearful now will still be by Christmas.
    Markets and stuff will probably go ahead but at a reduced capacity.
    They’ll work something out for Santa’s grottos.
    Been a last minute person might go against you.
    I think people will get into decorating and brightening the plans up and will enjoy the little things more.
    Television will be fine once your not to picky. We’ll just have loads of repeats which is fairly
    However I’m not looking forward to the ads. I think they’ll be very Cringey.
    They’ll be lots of talk about this time last year.

DvB wrote: »
    To be fair to tubbers (not often I can say that) he tends to go for broke on the Toy show and make it as enjoyable as possible for the kids, he's way less reserved in comparison to previous presenters & I actually applaud him for that.

I suspect after the run of misery laden episodes at the end of recent season it'll be more upbeat for the start of the new season, including the toy show.

I know I'm looking forward to it anyway, as are the rest of the family.

We watched last years Toy Show, The episode with Roy Keane, flicked him on once for a must watch episode and turned it off fast and turned it on for the last ten minutes of The last episode.
    He’ll probably be grand for the Toy Show but I doubt it for the rest of the episodes.
    I’ve grown to like and accept Ryan tough in the past few months. Mainly because I feel Eoghan McDermott is the future.
    I was a kid for most of Pats Toy Shows and loved them. I mainly liked the more Christmassy set and songs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

One thing for sure, I won't be repeating the mistake I made last year, but then again, how could I have known? I got a rake of hotel vouchers fory friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Christmas will be christmas, it might look a little different & we may not get to go to the pub (I can live with that in reality), but a full on lockdown simply wont be bought into by the public and wont have anything like the success rate of the first one, hence my gut feeling we'll see a series of rolling restrictions in an atempt to keep the numbers down, but simply cant see a full on closing down happening again unless it gets off the charts in the hospitals & ICU's.

I really hope you are right DvB and I can live some restrictions (pubs been closed wouldn't bother me in the slightest). Christmas is what you make you and once I can be with immediate family then everything else is not that important.

We went to Hidden Valley over the weekend when out walking, which is where we have seen Santa the last couple of years. Was completely different on a sunny July day to a cold dark December evening however when I closed my eyes I could clearly see the Santa train, Elves, excited children and the big man himself :)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Christmas is what you make you and once I can be with immediate family then everything else is not that important.

Exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself. And anyway, it wont come to that, because if it does this country is beyond goosed.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself. And anyway, it wont come to that, because if it does this country is beyond goosed.

Does anybody know will you be allowed to have family members sleeping over for the Christmas period or will they be a time limit on things?
    I take it over seas guests will be out?

Does anybody know will you be allowed to have family members sleeping over for the Christmas period or will they be a time limit on things?

Is there even a time limit for visitors to your house atm?

Anyway, the chances of people obeying something like that over christmas is less than great I suspect. Wouldn't make it right to do so if there were restrictions mind, but they'll be ignored by many if there are I reckon.

We'll just have to wait & see how it goes with overseas visitors, don't think anyone knows how that nugget will play out.

I think like more of these things its will be impossible to enforce/police so will be up the individuals involved what they want to do.

Personally we have followed the advise from the start however at times I have questioned the logic behind it but went with it as it didn't have a massive negative impact on us (very lucky I know).

If the advise was to stay as it is now till Christmas (don't believe it will) we would have less then four families at our house however more then 10 people!

TRS30 wrote: »
    I think like more of these things its will be impossible to enforce/police so will be up the individuals involved what they want to do.

Personally we have followed the advise from the start however at times I have questioned the logic behind it but went with it as it didn't have a massive negative impact on us (very lucky I know).

If the advise was to stay as it is now till Christmas (don't believe it will) we would have less then four families at our house however more then 10 people!

Spot on.
    We've been the same, followed all the restrictions etc.

Still bugs me when I go to do the weekly shop & the vast majority of customers ignoring the hand sanitiser, dont wear masks & even attempt to socially distance when I go out of my way to be as careful as possible. Even when the oldies came to visit us & the kids we sit out the back & stay apart (no hugging etc.) when all around us we watch gangs of people hanging out & parties going on... v.frustrating to see so may just give up & potentially ruin all the work thats gone into getting us this far.

If I win the lotto I'm buying an island, renaming it Christmas Island II (one already exists) and will invite you all to come & stay (after being tested & cleared of course!) for a big christmas celebration! :D

Spot on.
    We've been the same, followed all the restrictions etc.

Still bugs me when I go to do the weekly shop & the vast majority of customers ignoring the hand sanitiser, dont wear masks & even attempt to socially distance when I go out of my way to be as careful as possible. Even when the oldies came to visit us & the kids we sit out the back & stay apart (no hugging etc.) when all around us we watch gangs of people hanging out & parties going on... v.frustrating to see so may just give up & potentially ruin all the work thats gone into getting us this far.

If I win the lotto I'm buying an island, renaming it Christmas Island II (one already exists) and will invite you all to come & stay (after being tested & cleared of course!) for a big christmas celebration! :D

This 100%.

Maybe you already bought an island :D

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/horse-island-ireland-sold-scli-intl/index.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ooh, Christmas Island- love it!

Count me in. I'm currently healthy, with no cough or temperature. :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    Ooh, Christmas Island- love it!

Count me in. I'm currently healthy, with no cough or temperature. :pac:

No dice, need a confirmed test result *

* that or a bribe, currencies accepted include mince pies, stollen & Large tubs of Quality Street

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

No dice, need a confirmed test result*
    * that or a bribe, currencies accepted include mince pies, stollen & Large tubs of Quality Street

Quality street.... drool....

I'll go one further- a tin of quality street. :D

Posy wrote: »
    I'll go one further- a tin of quality street. :D

okay, posy is top of the guest list!

• Advertisement

Quality street.... drool....

I know....

Can

Not

Wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

I have this longing for Christmas now. It's mid-July and the weather has been damp and miserable this past few days. Hope October comes around asap so we can get in the groove. I have noticed that the evenings are getting shorter and it's dark after half 10 now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKd111cAxNI

I just read in the countdown thread that they are 23 weeks to Christmas.
    In 19 weeks time it will be the 28th of November and the first Sunday of Advent.
    Black Friday will be over and it will be that sort of Cyber Monday weekend.
    We will probably have also just finished watching The Toy Show.
    It doesn't seem that far away to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I just read in the countdown thread that they are 23 weeks to Christmas.
    In 19 weeks time it will be the 28th of November and the first Sunday of Advent.
    Black Friday will be over and it will be that sort of Cyber Monday weekend.
    We will probably have also just finished watching The Toy Show.
    It doesn't seem that far away to be honest.

19 weeks ago was the week before lockdown. That doesn't feel so long ago. So repeat lockdown and it's basically Christmas.

Wow. What a fast year.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Is that a shilling for a dozen mince pies:D I will definitely buy those. Nice to see Christmas from that period and how things haven't really changed apart from the currency. Thanks for the post:D

We're into the 150's!

159 days sounds like no time at all! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I wonder what the whole Christmas busy and bustling shops, bars, restaurants etc will be like under COVID-19 🀔

Sorry to put a dampner on the thread.

• Advertisement

You're not- we've discussed it a lot here if you have a look. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement