Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭PaulT21

105945049_3246723278726365_5501244809326764957_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=da1649&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=BJvxR3bR7IIAX95Smt9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub3-1.fna&_nc_tp=14&oh=9565cbf0e2781f5e6f4ee65f9c8472ef&oe=5F195B40

Sent this to the family today and to be honest the reaction wasn't what I expected:o Im the only Christmas Fruitcake in our house, I fear:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DvB

snaNG42.png
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^Whatever it is it doesnt show up for me.

I am going to a half way to christmas brunch (I know, in the evening!) later. Unlimited beverages and food so it should be merry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Happy "6 months to Christmas" :D Anybody think we might have a big snow storm for Christmas this year? Sure who knows with the way this year has turned out so far! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Nothing in 2020 would surprise me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

leahyl wrote: »
    Happy "6 months to Christmas" :D Anybody think we might have a big snow storm for Christmas this year? Sure who knows with the way this year has turned out so far! :pac:

Nooooooooo!! It stole Christmas 2010 from me and I still get really upset thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Caranica wrote: »
    Nooooooooo!! It stole Christmas 2010 from me and I still get really upset thinking about it.

It can only snow heavily when I'm at home, have nowhere to go and the fridge is fully stocked. Other than that a little flurry to feel 'Christmasy' is enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Caranica wrote: »

I'd be happy enough snowed in once it started snowing at like 8pm on Christmas Eve and thawed out again by St. Stephen's Day :P

That would be ideal. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yes weather wise it’s actually all leaning towards a snowy winter this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Loughc wrote: »
    Yes weather wise it’s actually all leaning towards a snowy winter this year.

Do elaborate Loughc! :-D

Snowy all-Ireland finals would be a surreal end to a surreal year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Do elaborate Loughc! :-D

Honestly if I do I would bore the pants off ya. But it’s a mix of trends cyclical information and comparison to 2010’s weather that leans towards a snowy winter.

Posy wrote: »

Having any kind of all Ireland final in December is just weird too.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Crazy stuff really. Imagine having to pay out €300 for a family or more just a few weeks or whatever before Christmas for tickets:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

My favourites are Muppets Christmas Carol, Love Actually, Miracle on 34th St, and Christmas with the Kranks. Now I like Love Actually , became obsessed with it when I was in secondary school and over watched it too much and now I only like watching it once a year ! The muppets on the other hand , I could watch over and over again. I would love to see the whole of Scrooged, only came across the ending by chance a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Jude13

The halfway to Christmas brunch was just not the same. The 2m rule and general atmosphere (compared to last year) just took away from the merryiness. The food was amazing and I drank far too much so that was Christmassy. They had elf the movie on a loop and the songs were a bit repetitive. Still broke up the covid madness and it was good to see people.

Having any kind of all Ireland final in December is just weird too.

Yeah, there's enough happening Christmas week without the all Ireland final thrown into the mix. Fingers crossed it happens as planned though, still not convinced restrictions won't come back, especially if people start to travel abroad.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Yeah, it is an uncertain time- I'd say a lot of people will spend July anxiously watching the numbers. :/

Yeah, it is an uncertain time- I'd say a lot of people will spend July anxiously watching the numbers. :/

Yep. And even though our flights are going we couldn't justify travelling and going against government advice, doesn't feel right even though plenty of others will.

If this comes back with a vengeance ill blame Michael O'Leary and Ryanair for ignoring the advice and pushing people into risking it.

• Advertisement

I think the biggest problem is come winter when colds and flus are on the rise the symptoms will cause panic. Like if someone has symptoms of flu should they self isolate for 2 weeks in case it’s COVID-19?

That's a good point, Loughc... I also imagine that people will be clamouring for the flu vaccine this year!

You're right about the flights, DvB- looks like the ones I had booked for July will be going ahead, which means no refund for me. I can understand people choosing to travel rather than lose their money. :/

I think the biggest problem is come winter when colds and flus are on the rise the symptoms will cause panic. Like if someone has symptoms of flu should they self isolate for 2 weeks in case it’s COVID-19?

Spot on. Can see many taking advantage too if they fancy a few days off. Crucial that testing times are reduced for winter, 24 hr turnaround should be the goal. Otherwise workplaces will be decimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

That's a good point, Loughc... I also imagine that people will be clamouring for the flu vaccine this year!

I'd hope so. I had the flu last year - literally was the most horrendous thing I've ever had. Two nights in hospital, four weeks off work & I had Post-Flu Fatigue for months afterwards. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can't believe that June is nearly over!
    Some might say there's only one month of Summer left!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'd hope so. I had the flu last year - literally was the most horrendous thing I've ever had. Two nights in hospital, four weeks off work & I had Post-Flu Fatigue for months afterwards. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy :(
    I get the flu vaccine every year, and that is why. It is an awful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the 170's.
    One fifth of the 200's done and quarter of them will be done in a few day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Watching the news of the ways things are going, especially the US and UK, looks like a second wave in nearly inevitable unfortunately :(
    Mixed in with the confusion with general flu/colds, general public fatigue about the whole thing in general, the pressure from vested interests for people to travel abroad and doesn't bode well for the winter months.

I really hope I'm wrong and it's just Monday morning blues making me feel a bit despondent about the whole thing!

I was thinking that with social distancing and hand sanitising still widespread, and the encouragement to wear masks in certain situations, that there may be less colds and flus going around this winter? Hopefully there will be more of an up take on the flu jab too.
    Whatever happens, by Christmas I'll probably be going around like that film Bubble Boy, or should I say bauble :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I was thinking that with social distancing and hand sanitising still widespread, and the encouragement to wear masks in certain situations, that there may be less colds and flus going around this winter? Hopefully there will be more of an up take on the flu jab too.
    Whatever happens, by Christmas I'll probably be going around like that film Bubble Boy, or should I say bauble :D

Yes, my company always offers the Flu jab for free. Have never taken it up but I will this year.

Speaking of work, everyone is giving out how wintery it is and how they had to put on the heating or light the fire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement