Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I just turn them on when it’s getting dark outside. Mind you , it was dark most of today so they were on until now:). Batteries already gone on the Christmas wreath lights. Faster than normal.

Not put mine up yet; not well enough. Will wait until just before Christmas this year... Feels good this way. more meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just don't get the ecard thing anymore than I do texts, it just smacks of couldn't be bothered. A 1st cousin sent me a text about the death of his father about ten years ago - a funeral I should have gone to - I didn't because he couldn't be bothered to phone me and we haven't spoken since. Sorry to bring negativity into the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We stopped doing cards a couple of years ago. We still receive them from about 3 or 4 friends & relatives (well, 1 uncle) but since the kids stopped bringing home their own designed ones from school we simply havent bothered. We told everyone well in advance that we were putting an end to it & the ones that still send them are aware of it. We make a charity donation (2 actually, as I like to give to the DSPCA & the Mrs likes to give to the ISPCC or Temple Street Hospital) and feel all the better for it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Just don't get the ecard thing anymore than I do texts, it just smacks of couldn't be bothered. A 1st cousin sent me a text about the death of his father about ten years ago - a funeral I should have gone to - I didn't because he couldn't be bothered to phone me and we haven't spoken since. Sorry to bring negativity into the thread.

I phoned relatives and they couldn’t be bothered to pick up when I knew a family member was passing away. Don’t worry about it. It’s very hurtful . And it’s good to tell someone.

:confused:

• Advertisement

Speaking of cards.. I have just opened... an EASTER CARD! Yep.

From an official person too! Correctly postmarked etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fully agree regarding ecards and texts. I just don't like them. Impersonal and lacking any effort. I like to see the cards around the house over Christmas, while a text or ecard is so fleeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Just been to the Christmas market for the last time this season. it finishes up on Saturday I think. Absolutely stuffed myself and I've a bag of sweet things on my desk that I've promised not to eat before dinnertime.

They are lovely, music and all. I send some with my own website Christmas page. And living very remote and not able to shop?

They are truly a Godsend.. Take longer to fill in and send than a paper card! Love sending them and getting them, and eco friendly too...
    Thanks for reminding me; cannot get anywhere and we have been cut off out here on and off. So no post in or out...

A far cry from " couldn't be bothered"

Off to send a few... at no cost I can send to far more people too...oh and you can of course re-view them or even print them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Heading to the Galways Christmas markets tomorrow for the weekend, very excited! I went this same weekend last year and it was all finished up so hoping we get to actually experience it this year.
    Despite believing I was very organised, it turns out I still have a few more little presents to get so I'll have to try to get it sorted on Monday. The days are running into each other, it'll be here before we know it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Last full day of the year just done, half day tomorrow beofre we head out for our work christmas lunch & drinks & boy am I looking forward to it.
    Already prepared my to-do-list for my first day back on Jan 6th & suspect 2020 is going to be just as hectic as 2019 was, at least if the start is anything to go by it will be. So might as well make the most of the 2 weeks before re-entering the madness!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    So might as well make the most of the 2 weeks before re-entering the madness!!

Absolutely!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Had coloured lights outside but wasn’t feeling them. Finally found white lights with a long enough cord so I spent 3 hours today in the pouring rain taking the old ones down and putting up 2 new sets

A lot of work but so worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Last full day of the year just done, half day tomorrow beofre we head out for our work christmas lunch & drinks & boy am I looking forward to it.
    Already prepared my to-do-list for my first day back on Jan 6th & suspect 2020 is going to be just as hectic as 2019 was, at least if the start is anything to go by it will be. So might as well make the most of the 2 weeks before re-entering the madness!!

What a week! Training course Mon to Wed that ended up 8am-6pm, then study at home followed by couple of hours work :( haven’t been able to get in the Christmas mood at all, weather hasn’t helped and not being on here, didn’t realise how I missed the place!!

Finished a long day in the office today however working from home tomorrow so plan to try to finish up around lunch time and put laptop away till January and throw myself fully into Christmas:)

Hope all keeping well and Christmas plans going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Happy birthday Loughc :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 21,828 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Happy Birthday Lough C !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

il_570xN.1682925209_8ea3.jpg

kitten_k wrote: »

Many happy returns :)

Posy wrote: »
    il_570xN.1682925209_8ea3.jpg

Love this :D

• Advertisement

All checked now that my delivery came; oh but still the outside things to put up and the lights in here on Sunday. Has been a challenge as there are only 2 double sockets in the entire place(small rental) so battery lights are perfect. Trailing flexes are a danger and I am not very agile any more We suded them a lot on Christmas Craft Fair stalls.. excellent and placing versatile Turkey to joint...

The more I do the more there seems to be left to do :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Heading out for the big Christmas grocery shop this morning. Will pick up veg and Turkey on Christmas Eve but this is the dreaded supermarket shop today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

We're off to see Santa :D

Heading out for the big Christmas grocery shop this morning. Will pick up veg and Turkey on Christmas Eve but this is the dreaded supermarket shop today.

Good luck :D

jellybear wrote: »
    We're off to see Santa :D

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Belated Birthday Wishes, Loughc!

Well jealous of all you finishing on a half day - I've a shed load of work to get through before I can finish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Office party starts at 11am. This is my Christmas tshirt today. I'm ridiculously amused by it. :D
    498040.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We had a party last night so a few sore heads around today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I hope you had a lovely day Lough C !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh guys visiting Santa with your baby for the first time is just amazing. Makes me realise how lucky we are to have our little man in our lives. He was as good as gold, even smiled for his pictures :D We had a lovely little family day and even picked up some decorations. The elf one is present from the Santa we visited and then we bought the other one :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement