Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm the same, I'll reciprocate, but I got sick of sitting down and spending an afternoon writing 10 or so cards and addressing envelopes etc, only to receive one if I was lucky.

I'm so bitter. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Whatsapp is the new Christmas Greeting now. Or whatever equivelant on Facebook.

We have to move on without stamps!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is the Lego "staff only" decoration set I won over the summer, as mentioned some hundreds of posts ago. That's a box of large matches and a normal Lego tree for scale!

https://twitter.com/cian_duffy/status/1206736552300294144

Winter Village should get set up elsewhere in the living room if I get time.

Posy wrote: »

Aaaaw, is she is rescue doggie? :)

Sort of. My gran aunt took her from a family that were rehoming her about 4 or 5 years ago. Then she got ill herself earlier this year and after a long time in the hospital has gone into a nursing home. (She's 98!) When she went into the hospital she was frantic about the dog so I took her down to mine and fell in love so she's part of the family now and I was just visiting my granaunt a week ago (she's up the other end of the country from me) and she spent the whole time thanking me for looking after her dog and giving the dog a happy retirement. And I spent the whole time saying "no no I need to thank you for trusting me with her cause I love her so much". And we were like two emotional eejits!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Baaaw, that's so nice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sigh. I can"t believe I have to say this, but The Foods of Athenry have changed their mince pie recipe, and it's now gluten-free. I wouldn't mind the difference in the crust if they had kept the same mincemeat filling, but alas, the result is decidedly underwhelming. Such a let down, they were the best around. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Sent all my Christmas cards yesterday. 3 local ones to pop in the box today and a special hand delivered one to a neighbour in a different street whose card came to us by mistake. Addressed to G McCool at 5 Streetname Drive so we assumed it was us as we're 5 Streetname Lane and the last name is similar enough. Nope! Totally wrong address on the card. They're at 16 Streetname Park. I had to google them to find their actual address. I hope they tell Auntie May that she needs to do the address properly in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Anyone else a bit stressed tackling the pre xmas housework? We both work full time and have a lot of stuff on in the evenings this week. Managed to tackle our bedroom last night and get it straightened out/sheets changed etc- tonight I'll be having a crack at cleaning the oven. We need it for the family party on Sat, don't want to smoke the family out lol!!

Just seems never bloody ending....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Haven't been online bar working since I got home. Enjoyed the Christmas concert too much and had a rough flight and panic packing the next day with the little one.
    Back home to carols at the airport which I've not seen before as it was only the 13th.

Great to see everyone but still getting the 'you haven't visited your brother yet' though I'd meet him already and this was day two. Change the relation and run that tape a few times a day. Final grinch thing is my little one having a melt down as she has so many layers. Shes used to just having a nappy and vest. Christmas fm telling fibs about songs not been played due to requests and bending the knee to the outrage brigade has meant no more requests from me and using the songs on my phone. Moan over, though we re defo goigg somewhere warm next year and not home.

Town was unreal on Saturday evening so Christmasy. Hope all are well. Merry Christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Welcome home Jude. It’s defo Christmas now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

This day next week is Christmas Eve. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Work is absolutely manic at present! However, it is making the days fly by so much quicker, it'll be the Christmas break before we know it

Also, I'm not sure how many of you live in Dublin, but the lights on the Samuel Beckett Bridge are absolutely beautiful, I work right beside the bridge so I am always in such a good mood to see the lights as it usually signifies home time! I could watch them for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Jude13 wrote: »
    Christmas fm telling fibs about songs not been played due to requests and bending the knee to the outrage brigade has meant no more requests from me and using the songs on my phone.

Someone posted in the Christmas FM thread that they played Baby It's Cold Outside so maybe your requests worked.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I posted off my special Christmas cards this morning - my goddaughter, my godson/nephew, his little brother for Baby's first Christmas and their new little cousin (my 3 week old nephew) another Baby's first Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

First task for Christmas 2020 complete this morning - booked my oven clean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,216 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Quick question guys if a shop says final orders is midnight on the 18th.
    Is that tonight at 00:00 or Wed essay night at 23:59?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quick question guys if a shop says final orders is midnight on the 18th.
    Is that tonight at 00:00 or Wed essay night at 23:59?

I would take it as Weds 23:59:59, however that doens't guarantee someone else doesn't have an odd idea about it!

I took today off to use up the last of my uncarriable annual leave and intended to get the house cleaned and a load of other bits done. I woke up with a nasty head cold and have just about managed to get most of the other bits done with absolutely nothing cleaned :pac:

Still, it should save me from the shops on Saturday and give me then to do the cleaning instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Not sending cards anymore. Always sent to same friends and relatives. Not reciprocated so bah humbug. Will hand deliver two to close neighbors.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Not sending cards anymore. Always sent to same friends and relatives. Not reciprocated so bah humbug. Will hand deliver two to close neighbors.

We are sending our wedding Thank You cards this year instead - mostly because I was too lazy to do them before now :o I did buy cards from Make A Wish but we used them for the eldest's school friends. I think next year, I'll just make a donation to charity instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

So a question for all you elves - do you put your Christmas decorations on in the morning time? I see so many house with them on when I am driving to work.

• Advertisement

We do. We have them on remote control sockets with our sitting room lights so they all go on. We don't put the outside ones on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,216 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

79403075_2806160082782689_5524673049103695872_n.png?_nc_cat=100&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=krJte2FmhNcAQlkTd5wJM2nZFa75eJPLLnJ-rB5YpeGBvJ-poNfgvMGpw&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=96dbc285b932d07f31c54bbde6804bd8&oe=5E75DF32

79403075_2806160082782689_5524673049103695872_n.png?_nc_cat=100&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=krJte2FmhNcAQlkTd5wJM2nZFa75eJPLLnJ-rB5YpeGBvJ-poNfgvMGpw&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=96dbc285b932d07f31c54bbde6804bd8&oe=5E75DF32

Oh gawd that's terrifying!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kitten_k wrote: »
    So a question for all you elves - do you put your Christmas decorations on in the morning time? I see so many house with them on when I am driving to work.
    The outside lights are on an old fashioned plug in timer. It means they can stay on for a while after we go to bed and turn on for those poor people travelling to work early in the morning while we're tucked up cosy in bed.

🎇🎄🎆

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

No. Just no. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The outside lights are on an old fashioned plug in timer. It means they can stay on for a while after we go to bed and turn on for those poor people travelling to work early in the morning while we're tucked up cosy in bed.

������

Nice idea, my comes on at 4.30pm and off at 11.30pm on timer, but that's me just being tight thinking of the electricity bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Nice idea, my comes on at 4.30pm and off at 11.30pm on timer, but that's me just being tight thinking of the electricity bill.

LED lights and projectors are extremely low wattages. It'll cost only a few Euro for the full Christmas period.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

We put up our Christmas tree on Monday. Afterwards my partner said "pity we won't get to enjoy the lights. We can only put them on through the night!" (We have night rate electricity!) :D The stingy fecker! I said I don't think so! What good would that be? So he said "think of the weary traveller, cheered on his way by the sight of our tree." :D

He was only joking of course, we have it lit up at normal times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I just turn them on when it’s getting dark outside. Mind you , it was dark most of today so they were on until now:). Batteries already gone on the Christmas wreath lights. Faster than normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Postgrad10 wrote: »

We made a pact years ago; no cards, no presents. Give the money to charity instead... I get two cards every year both from very far way friends with a letter and/or a welcome piece of blue paper ( YOU know!)

To them and a few others I send a hand made Christmas tree decoration instead of a card,and a letter .

When I came out here I sent cards to neighbours but no response so I assume it is not an island custom?

Was chatting with an old man in a Post Office a few years ago; he was buying 16 stamps.. He had had cards from 16 folk and felt he had to reciprocate. E16 is a lot out of a basic pension and the cards atop of that.

PS ecards are lovely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement