Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What happened McFadden? I missed the match.

Head injury I think

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Head injury I think

As in a concussion or suspected concussion? Could have done without that.

As in a concussion or suspected concussion? Could have done without that.

Nothing confirmed yet, he didn't come back on but I'd wait until the injury report before assuming anything

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Adam Byrne's performance against Ospreys was heartening at least. Having him back in form at just the right time will be a real bonus for the rest of the season and his aerial game could prove useful if we struggle to break Saracens down up front.

Saracens have serious injury woes of their own though with Billy V almost certainly out and doubts over Farrell and Kruis.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

baas baa wrote: »
    Adam Byrne's performance against Ospreys was heartening at least. Having him back in form at just the right time will be a real bonus for the rest of the season and his aerial game could prove useful if we struggle to break Saracens down up front.

Saracens have serious injury woes of their own though with Billy V almost certainly out and doubts over Farrell and Kruis.

Yeah the thing with Adam Byrne is a funny one... watching clips from last year he was tearing teams apart. Since he got injured in the Irish camp he’s struggled to get into form. It’s a weird one because looking at him play he seems to be one of these guys that just doesn’t realise how good he can be, take the game yesterday he just looked hesitant and got knocked back a few times, he was really poor for their 2nd try, at first I assumed he’s not 100% fit which still may be the case, but later in the game he started dominating in the air and winning collisions. He looked just as surprised as everyone else.

I think he’s a confidence player, which tbh I hope gets coached out of him, because the sooner he realises he’s a machine but not everything will go his way, the sooner he can live up to his potential. In fairness Leinster have a good setup at the moment to bring out the professionalism in players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Really dislike it when Byrne, Reid and O'loughlin are all 10,12,13 at the same time, think we really struggle for go forward and the forwards nearly have to work twice as hard to get the team moving because of the lack of physicality in the 10.12,13 axis, would like to see both of the O'briens start pushing Reid and O'loughlin for places

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Really dislike it when Byrne, Reid and O'loughlin are all 10,12,13 at the same time, think we really struggle for go forward and the forwards nearly have to work twice as hard to get the team moving because of the lack of physicality in the 10.12,13 axis, would like to see both of the O'briens start pushing Reid and O'loughlin for places

Lack of physicality is something I wouldn't associate with Ross Byrne at all. I thought he struggled to get much going at the weekend but his strength in taking the ball on and in the tackle is something that was very reliable. He took the ball back up from deep several times and got over the gain line.

What disappointed me was his lack of willingness to change it up. We had significant success in putting the ball in behind them including two tries from grubbers. Byrne had also had success with a couple of cross field kicks. But in the final 20 minutes I'm not sure we tried a single kick from hand to vary our attack.

We definitely struggle for vertical space when that midfield are playing though.

This was the biggest problem with our backs before the arrival of Henshaw, he changed everything in that department. We desperately need a “midweek” midfielder who can fill that role, a shame it doesn’t look like it’ll be Tom Daly. Nacewa steps up to the plate well for now in big games.

Not sure who else it could be. Maybe Conor O’Brien is next up there. Noel Reid seems to be at his ceiling and ROL is still good for a big defensive lapse once per game.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,004 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Frawley is a big chap, I wonder if they would look at him in the second five eight role a la farrell.
    We seem OK for 10s currently

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Frawley is a big chap, I wonder if they would look at him in the second five eight role a la farrell.
    We seem OK for 10s currently

Good point. He looks like he could do a good job there if he spent a bit of time pushing iron around a sterilized room (< look I’m Demented Mole!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

I can see ROL reverting back to the wing. His hands don't seem good enough for midfield and he gets stripped of possession im contact too often. He's our backup 13 out of necessity at the minute so hopefully Tommy O'Brien can follow through on his potential and give us more options there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Reid has been luck leinster have been unable to develop any good alternatives at his position...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

According to the indo, conans is a doubt for the weekend.

Conan emerged as a doubt this afternoon having taken a knock to his knee during the second-half of their Guinness PRO14 defeat to Ospreys on Saturday evening. He did not train this morning.

Ruddock has returned to the practise paddock after his hamstring injury but, like O’Brien and Conan, he will remain under observation for a bit yet. The 27-year old hasn’t played since December 10th.

Fergus McFadden is going through return-to-play protocols after his Head Injury Assessment against the Ospreys while Noel Reid, who underwent the same process, has been ruled out this weekend as he also injured an eye socket in Wales.

Dave Kearney picked up a shoulder injury at the Liberty Stadium and is unavailable for the visit of the back-to-back European champions while Jordan Larmour had already been confirmed absent with a calf issue picked up during the Six Nations.

More encouraging is the update on Luke McGrath, with the Ireland scrum-half suffering no issue on his return to action against the Ospreys in the wake of his recent knee injury. He will train as normal this week.

Jordan Larmour, who was pulled out of contention ahead of the trip to Wales has been ruled out for a matter of weeks with a calf problem, according to the province.

Also certain to miss the Aviva Stadium clash on Sunday are Noel Reid (eye socket) and Dave Kearney (shoulder).

Fergus McFadden (HIA) and Jack Conan (knee) also left the field injured in Swansea, but will be assessed this week and retain some home of facing the reigning European champions.

Flippin' hell.

Step up Max Deegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If Conan is out I'd be tempted to put Toner and Ryan at second row with Fardy, Leavy and Jordi behind them.

Clegg wrote: »
    If Conan is out I'd be tempted to put Toner and Ryan at second row with Fardy, Leavy and Jordi behind them.

If SOB/Ruddock aren't available to start and Conan is out, I don't think they've any choice but to go for that.

I can't see them starting Deegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    If SOB/Ruddock aren't available to start and Conan is out, I don't think they've any choice but to go for that.

I can't see them starting Deegan.

Who benches then? Molony and Deegan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Worst case:
    Healy Cronin Furlong
    Fardy Ryan
    Murphy Deegan Leavy
    McGrath Sexton
    Byrne ROL Ringrose Lowe
    Kearney

Tracy, McGrath, Porter, Toner, Murphy, McCarthy, Byrne, Carbery

Not great. If we can get two from Conan, SOB and Ruddock into the team, it looks a lot better. I'm excluding Nacewa from the 'worst case' team because no-one has a rashers what's going on with him, I really, really hope he's fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Could easily be:

Healy Cronin Furlong
    Fardy Ryan
    Ruddock Murphy Leavy

McGrath Sexton
    Nacewa Ringrose
    Lowe Kearney Byrne

Tracy, McGrath, Porter, Toner, Deegan, McCarthy, Carbery, ROL

Or switch Leavy to 6 if SOB comes back. If we're missing Ruddock, SOB, Conan and VDF though we're going to be in real bother.

Think I'd go for all of Fardy, Ryan and Toner to start if Conan is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

INPHO_01349778.jpg

Where do you find these photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He lives in the trees beside the training ground.

The link is right there on the photo.

The link is right there on the photo.

f9FW2.gif

I couldn't navigate that site. Carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    He lives in the trees beside the training ground.

INPHO_01349774.jpg

That's what you look like at 40 when you play lock.

Stick to the wing, kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    That's what you look like at 40 when you play lock.

Stick to the wing, kids.

Nah it’s just a Wicklow thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement