Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

feck it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 65,004 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Looks great. But as Mad_Lad said only 18.8kWh available, so very limited range. And I feel these first gen i3 are overpriced in the UK. For a few grand GPB more you'd have the 94Ah model which will keep its value better. i3 at above prices have a lot of depreciating to do. A high miles i3 just sold at auction in Ireland for €9k

My i3 lost about 17K in 9 months and 9,500 kms, I got some bargain on that.

If they would only fix the steering, it's getting worse and now there is some noise in the left wheel.

Did they not find out what it was?

unkel wrote: »
    Did they not find out what it was?

No they Lubricated something which they said is the procedure because it's under warranty, it's the usual BS. If the process says to follow step 1,2,3 etc then this is what they have to do even if they know what the problem is they can't fix it until process 1,2,3 has been completed sounds familiar from work lol.

Step 1 is obviously the cheapest.

It's really irritating now and I don't know and there is kind of a squealing in the wheel now too.

I wouldn't mind only they hadn't the manners to contact me and tell me what the procedure is and that the noise is still there and what they have done and what they can't do etc. Or that the new e-drive badge they were supposed to put on wasn't put on and is left on the dash in the car, oh no, just call up, "car is ready" .

To be honest I'm less than impressed but I'll tell them that they can keep it until they fix it and when I booked the car in the other day I insisted I wanted an i3 and I'm not excepting an excuse that they don't have one they have plenty of notice and I'm expecting an i3 on the 27th because they won't compensate me for Petrol or Diesel.

• Advertisement

and I'm expecting an i3 on the 27th because they won't compensate me for Petrol or Diesel.

Insist on an i3.......or an i8 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It's the 21 Kwh, 19 usable ( when new ) that will give you 100-110 Kms range maybe 140 summer my best estimated with some battery degradation. And probably a bit less in bad weather.

Perhaps someone with the 21 Kwh can comment ?

Figures above are pretty accurate. I have the 21Kwh model (2016). Today I've driven 52km and reporting 47% left. That's a roughly an average of 100kph with some 120kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

the corpo wrote: »

Bit high. No REx, smaller battery.

I paid just over £20k 15 months ago for the same age, lower mileage, REx and 94ah.

I didn't get leather seats though, or sunroof.

Used values seem to be going up for Leaf and i3.

Used values seem to be going up for Leaf and i3.

In the UK. Not so much here. And I don't think they have been going up any further over the last few months, but they certainly did go up in the year or so before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

mordeith wrote: »
    Figures above are pretty accurate. I have the 21Kwh model (2016). Today I've driven 52km and reporting 47% left. That's a roughly an average of 100kph with some 120kph.

We've a similar vintage 21Kwh and its doing around the 100Km consistently in the winter and that goes up to 130-140 in summer. Brilliant runabout though, which is exactly what we bought it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I had the pleasure of taking a I8 Roadstyle edition up the Autobahn last Friday curtesy of BMW. Shoite for the kids but great fun for the parents, well almost the wife told me to slow down at 170kmph. Would make a handy temporary replacement car.

I tried that when they BMW Coleraine kept my i3 in over the weekend because they needed to replace a part.

No joy, had to drag around in an X1 all weekend. Horrendous.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I tried that when they BMW Coleraine kept my i3 in over the weekend because they needed to replace a part.

No joy, had to drag around in an X1 all weekend. Horrendous.

Bet it was a diesel. And manual :(

Bet it was a diesel. And manual :(

Wrong on both counts.

Still a pig of a car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

MM3 wrote: »
    Brilliant runabout though, which is exactly what we bought it for.

We have the Rex which extends the runabout significantly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

This seems to be the i3 thread, so I'm asking here, sorry if off topic.
    About two years ago I decided that I wanted to switch to an electric car and to buy a new one. ( don't want second hand after an experience driving a car that somebody had taken an angle grinder to the part that keeps one of the wheels in place)
    My current plan is to get a base model id3 on pcp (provided interest rate is low, just incase solid state batteries suddenly become a real thing and values suddenly fall, probably unlikely) and then review with the hope getting something with as close to fully autonomous as possible.
    So as decision time on id3 approaches I'm considering other options, one is i3.

How much of a discount (for cash) on the list price of an i3 should I expect to get away with? I prob. wouldn't be going for many options other than metallic paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

how longs a piece of string? Ring dealers and ask for prices, then haggle the hell out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Yes for sure, but information is king, they have it I don't. Knowing what they have dipped to in the past, gives an indication of how far they will dip in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭Ryath

I asked last year and R.O.R said this
    Ryath wrote: »
    Would BMW dealer's be firm on the €35k rrp. I'd assume there be some margin to get a bit of a discount?
    R.O.R wrote: »
    There's no dealer margin on the i3. Technically, you are buying it direct from BMW Ireland, and the dealer is just facilitating the sale, so there's only the €1,500 BMW contribution as discount.

The reason it's not advertised with the Grants off, is because there's different amounts on the SEAI grant, depending if it's a private individual or a company.

• Advertisement

Only got the steering noise fixed last week , they said it was the shock mount.

The outer door seal still hasn’t been replaced, nor the e-drive badge. The multiple times I’ve collected the car when they said it’s “ready” I couldn’t count. The last couple of times they would not give me an i3 either and had to make do with a 140 HP 3 series diesel and 140 hp 1 series petrol.

Frank Keane, Naas road service is an absolute disgrace.

The warranty expires on the 14th Feb.

I have to say that this experience would put me off buying any form of BMW again and also the fact they are in Dublin, nothing like having a local dealer, one reason I had a mad notion to get the esoul until i realised I wasn’t going to get more for the i3 than I’ve left to pay back, around 19,000 and knowing they’ll sell it for 3-5k more I let them know I wasn’t impressed.

The 39 k price of the esoul is not good and it could be worth only 15-18k in 3 years, no thanks.

I think I’ll be sticking with the i3 a few more years yet.

Oh and bmw wanted 1 k for to extend the warranty another year, clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think I’ll be sticking with the i3 a few more years yet.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, you might be the clown if you keep the car another few years and find you have an expensive repair to cover! :)

Are you confident it will be plain sailing once you get the existing issues fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,565 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

TO be honest I'd prefer to be in a new esoul than a used I3 rex, after reading your review I think you may too

KCross wrote: »
    Well, not to put too fine a point on it, you might be the clown if you keep the car another few years and find you have an expensive repair to cover! :)

Are you confident it will be plain sailing once you get the existing issues fixed?

I’ll take a gamble, that’s 1 k for only a years warranty and if anything major happens I’ll keep driving it and won’t fix it as long as it drives, then I’ll hand it back once the pcp is up and it becomes their problem. ;)

ELM327 wrote: »
    TO be honest I'd prefer to be in a new esoul than a used I3 rex, after reading your review I think you may too

A new esoul sounds until you look at the price, impressive car but nowhere near the fun of the i3. Depreciation will be very heavy and I’m not doing that again in a hurry, it is a good car though but the price just isn’t right.

The greatest issues for me were frank Keane and not the i3, it’s not the cars fault.

Sure I’m not going in buying a new 7 series once every 2 years but should that make a difference to the quality of service I should get ? Or perhaps they were offended I dare go near them in normal clothes.

1k is very good value for a warranty on an ICE car (quite prone to issues) from a premium make that's still worth about 20k. Only sayin'...

1k is very good value for a warranty on an ICE car (quite prone to issues) from a premium make that's still worth about 20k. Only sayin'...

I'm not sure there are a lot of issues with the 2017 gen Rex to be honest to justify 1K and as I said it's only for a year. 1 K could also go a long way to replacing things if needed but I'll chance my arm. If anything major happens I'll just give it back to them in December.

In fairness, Nissan refused to replace my 2015 Leaf rear axle, saying "I must have hit something" as a reason for the awful uneven tyre wear.

There's a good chance I'm just going to buy the i3, 15 - 15.5K Euro's can't remember is the GFMV. Might wait a year or two to see what's going on, might get a 2nd hand high spec ID.3 or even the E-soul if the battery proves to be good.

Model 3 ? not so sure, too many quality issues and bad paint work to give me confidence in a 2nd hand Tesla to be honest.

The i3 battery is holding up very well, 28.9 Kwh now from 29.6 when I got it. It might go up in Summer I don't know but that is less than 0.8% degradation in nearly 3 years and 79,000 Kms.

Worst case, if anything major went wrong with the Rex in a couple of years I could just remove it and sell it for parts. But in general the i3 seems to be pretty reliable. I'm half thinking of just using it as a commuter car now and run up as many kms on it as I can. I need to save more and buying cars is a pretty poor way to save lol along with a ham radio hobby. :D

While my car was in getting the steering noise fixed last week I had a loan of a 3 series 140 Hp Diesel.

Nice interior, but very basic spec, BMW are joking with the cost vs spec.

The steering was a huge let down, I was expecting so much more from the 3 series, the steering felt so disconnected from the wheels I may as well have been in a Leaf. The i3 steering is so much better.

The handling on the 3 series was obviously better then the standard i3, but the i3 is still a lot more fun than the 3 series 140 Hp diesel mainly because of the RWD and all the torque pretty much instantly + the 3 series had a poxy manual box.

The low down ride of the 3 series probably helps a lot but I kept whacking my head getting in and out I'm so used to the taller ride height.

the i3 feels again, so spacious inside even compared to the 3 series, up front at least.

The diesel could do 62 Mpg easily, that was I think 4.5 L/100 km and I bet with more careful driving @80-100 Km/hr might see close to 70 mpg but for the life of me I couldn't drive it it was lifeless compared to the i3. If I had to have a diesel then I'd at lease have the 320D and not the 318.

The steering n the 3 series though was a nasty surprise. But I suppose BMW these days are all about profit and nothing more.

Model 3 ? not so sure, too many quality issues and bad paint work

What quality issues? Any issues found at or after delivery will be sorted. Of course these should not have been there in the first place, but Tesla is not quite there yet. Can't fault their customer service for fixing things though.

• Advertisement

this is just 1 example

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/363703/more-tesla-model-3-paint-problems/amp/

A lot more out there.

Seems the paint is too thin and there’s issues with the paint on the aluminium panels.

Advertisement