Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

Just checked this morning leaving work and capacity is up to 28.9 AH now from 29.6 when I got the i3, it was 28.8 the other day. one interesting is that it's the first time I left it on charge and was sitting there most of the night plugged in at 100%.

That would be 2.1 % loss in 3 years and 79,000 kms. not the 0.7 I calculated a few posts earlier, still not bad for 3 years and almost 80,000 Kms

A few 40 Kwh leaf drivers here are, according to them down over 5% and 1 as much as 10% after a year !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

What part of the hidden menu are you getting that from? Is it the bit that everyone on the UK i3 owners group says isn't accurate??

DrPhilG wrote: »
    What part of the hidden menu are you getting that from? Is it the bit that everyone on the UK i3 owners group says isn't accurate??

Lol the battery kappa max or something like that.

How did they determine it's not accurate ? and is it reading higher or lower than actual ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

Mad - you've s lot of experience here.

My i3 is currently in with Frank Keane for its biannual service (€355 wtf since it's a BEV and only parts needed were brake fluid and microfilter)

And they've found a recall that was announced on 1st Feb - corrosion on charger unit (KEF? EKF?) that'll probably need a replacement- so car is stuck with them all day now, but they've no loaners and I'm kind of stuck here now. How much fussing did you have to do with them to get a loaner - even a 120d will do

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Patser wrote: »

My i3 is currently in with Frank Keane for its biannual service (€355 wtf since it's a BEV and only parts needed were brake fluid and microfilter)

And they've found a recall that was announced on 1st Feb - corrosion on charger unit (KEF? EKF?) that'll probably need a replacement- so car is stuck with them all day now, but they've no loaners and I'm kind of stuck here now. How much fussing did you have to do with them to get a loaner - even a 120d will do

Any more details on the recall?

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Any more details on the recall?

No but got a 118i for the day

Edit: recall was definitely to do with possible corrosion on the internals of the charging unit in the car - not mentioned which years, my own i3 is a 141 so might only be on older models

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Could it be the KLE ?

That's the onboard charger (in german).

Can't find anything about a recall online.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

jhegarty wrote: »
    Could it be the KLE ?

Probably keeping it quiet and will tell when in for service.

May well be hoping people will just replace at own cost.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Could it be the KLE ?

Could easily be, he rattled off a 3 letter acronym with a K in it alright. Said recall had only been made on February 1st, and as I said I've no idea what year of car was involved.

I'm collecting later, so will try get more info then.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,004 ✭✭✭✭unkel

May well be hoping people will just replace at own cost.

Nah. Dealers are only too happy to do recall work. They get paid by the manufacturer for it.

• Advertisement

Just called Frank Keane there.
    Gave Vin number and confirmed no outstanding recalls.

My car was ready, but now it isn't as BMW Ireland have told Frank Keane to change the unit after looking at a picture of it - so she's in for a few days now....

I had told them well in advance I needed a car and it was no real issue.

Getting into a 118 will be painful after the i3 but great handling.

First I heard about corrosion on the charger. I must say it to them and see what happens.

Yeah it's a lot of money but to be honest once the warranty is out there's nothing to stop you going somewhere else but I suppose service is once every two years so it's not so bad and that's unlimited mileage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

My i3 is currently in with Frank Keane for its biannual service

Is it a mandatory 6 month service or x amount of miles?
    Seems crazy for a BEV to be honest - think the 530e is 30,000km or 2 years & that has a turbo charged ICE.

Bring Money With you :D.

Ioniq EV has similar idiotic service requirements - 15,000km. That's barely 4 or 5 months for many drivers :rolleyes:.

Kramer wrote: »
    Seems crazy for a BEV to be honest - think the 530e is 30,000km or 2 years & that has a turbo charged ICE.

Ioniq EV has similar idiotic service requirements - 15,000km. That's barely 4 or 5 months for many drivers :rolleyes:.

Are you sure this is from Hyundai or the local dealer ?

Barlo Nissan in Kilkenny stuck a "next service due" in 15,000 Kms on the windscreen of my 2015 Leaf and I pulled them over it and said that was dishonest as it was 30,000 Kms for that model.

Sorry by biannual I meant once every 2 years, not twice a year

Kramer wrote: »

2 years. No mileage terms.
    It’s in love with Nissan servicing so we pay no more of a premium than other EV’s.

Nissan is about 100-130 per year and more if you add the micro filter or brake fluids. So over 2 years it evens out with bmw servicing on the BEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Always thought BMW (and Mini) are very underdemanding with their service schedules. We leased a Clubman for 3 years back starting in 2016, and I never once had to do a real service. I kept thinking I must have missed the notification from the on-board computer, but no, they just don’t do them that often. I’m sure things are different when they’re a few years old, and they certainly charge a premium when you need them, but they don’t go looking for extra income streams like some other manufacturers (although the CarPlay preparation fee on my i3 was a real pirate move)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Vw tried to claim that the egolf needs a service every 15k. I go by the incar service that’s in line with their global view over a garage who doesn’t know much about evs.

Anyway, FWIW;

Car is now grounded in BMW until roughly 25th, as part has to be sourced from Germany or the likes.

Frank Keane want their car back, but I'm ok to keep until BMW Ireland get something else for me. I've requested something that starts with a letter, but don't think I'll be that lucky.

In the meantime they are trying to speed things up.

And it's the control unit for the charger that was removed.

• Advertisement

tell Them the best way to get their car back is to get yours fixed, that’s probably why mine was returned not fixed so many times lol. They’re a joke avoid them as much as possible.

TBH I dont think it's their fault - sound more like my generation i3 has an older control unit, and harder to replace, and it's BMW Ireland that are humming and hawwing about what to do.

I've requested something that starts with a letter

Was gonna suggest same. M cars all good and so are i cars. Z why not but I hope you said you didn't want any X!

unkel wrote: »
    Was gonna suggest same. M cars all good and so are i cars. Z why not but I hope you said you didn't want any X!

Feck it, I'll accept an X6M with standard non working indicators and bluetooth earpiece, so to experience that D4 look for a few weeks.

Even the undignified entry/exit of an i8 I'll suffer through.

Would also love a Z4, as I had one for years before daughter was born, and I'd love to stand her beside it while shouting 'This!!!! This is what I gave up for you!!!!'

Would genuinely like a go in an i3s, as it's the most likely car I'd upgrade to in the future.

But you know I'll be given a 1 or 2 (shudder) series diesel

Would also love a Z4, as I had one for years before daughter was born, and I'd love to stand her beside it while shouting 'This!!!! This is what I gave up for you!!!!'

You're doing it wrong. I bought a Porsche when my third child was on the way :p

unkel wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong. I bought a Porsche when my third child was on the way :p

Yeah but that has back seats - soundproofing the boot on the z4 was surprisingly expensive - even the child protection social workers agreed.

Mind you my 1st compromise car was a 9.3 aero convertible

Once I had the 3 kids, I changed the Porsche for a 2 seater. With trunk and frunk so the 5 of us would fit if we had to :p

Thursday I had to go to the Airport, we left at 4:30 Am, the weather was crap, wind, rain, about 7 deg, not too cold but lots of surface water. I had to put the boot down. Coming out of the airport I said I'd try and see if I could charge at the Garage just outside the airport and as expected it was in use, this was around 5:50 am, I checked the charger and it was charging at 10 Kw so I said no point hanging around here.

I got back to around Naas and fired up the Rex and got to the M9 Charger at 7% charge plugged in and charged to 95%, according to the charger the car received 28.5 Kwh.

7% charge plugging in 28.5 Kwh + 7% = 30.4 Kwh + 5% ( charged to 95% ) = 31.92 Kwh, I'm not sure how accurate that might be.

Another way of looking at it is 95% charge + 12%.

The Dash is now showing 29.1 Kwh ( battery kappa max )

No idea what to make of that. But after 3 years 80,600 Kms the battery is looking pretty good.

Drive nearly 400 Kms, that day because I had to go back to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I've read where Battery Kappa max varies greatly due to temps etc. AFAIK its not accurate.

• Advertisement

I've no idea about the battery kappa max now.

I always felt there was more than the 29.6 available when I first got it which would explain why it charges so fast to 95% at 90 % it's still charging around 30-35 Kw which might suggest there's more in reserve.

But putting in 28.5 Kwh and starting at 7% and finishing at 95% would suggest around 31.92 available Kwh. Though with the rex you can't use the last 6.5 % as it's used as a buffer to prevent power loss. Only way to use the last 6.5% is to let the tank run out of Petrol.

31.92 Kwh would be a lot to use of the 33 Kwh though so I really don't know what capacity it actually has.

If it's a 400 volt battery and 94 Ah then it would suggest there is 37.6 Kwh available however the nominal voltage is probably more like 384 volts x 94 Ah would = 36.096 Kwh.

I must get a 2nd energy monitor and stick the sensor on the output side of the charge point and run it down as low as I can with 0 petrol and then see what it puts back in.

Either way there looks to be very very little degradation.

Advertisement