Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Experience + Innocence Tour **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales or Requests**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JOEOLEARY

Nights are so long...

silence goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

JOEOLEARY wrote:
    Your Daddy’s a sailor, never comes home

I don't know which is worse. Someone whose giving the thumbs to very unfunny one liners. Are someone trying to explain a very unfunny one liner. It's just gets worse. Thats what he meant. Its even worse then I thought. Oh the one liner unfunny think their funny brigade, what can you do with them. In musical terms they are the jedward of the Internet. Annoying irrevelant and think their funny and cool but their neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JOEOLEARY

Sonny678 wrote: »
    I don't know which is worse. Someone whose giving the thumbs to very unfunny one liners. Are someone trying to explain a very unfunny one liner. It's just gets worse. Thats what he meant. Its even worse then I thought. Oh the one liner unfunny think their funny brigade, what can you do with them. In musical terms they are the jedward of the Internet. Annoying irrevelant and think their funny and cool but their neither.

What you're calling unfunny...............is actually a lyrical genius at work. But hey, if you want to believe you're right............

Oh and the fact that you're getting offended by song lyrics when you're trying to have an argument about song lyrics is hilarious!!

JOEOLEARY wrote:
    What you're calling unfunny...............is actually a lyrical genius at work. But hey, if you want to believe you're right............

Joe. I wasn't having a go at you. Thanks for explaining the unfunny line. It more the one line brigade . Criticise away if you want. But these people who have a list of 1 liners ready to pounce on anyone if they slip up is like how could you be bothered. It's just never funny.

Just a side note. I wonder are U2 thinking off breaking up. U2 always seemed to do trilogy of sorts with records

1 Boy October War
    2 The Unforgettable Fire The Joshua Tree Rattle and Hum (I know its less so feeling of a triology but it was one of sorts)
    3 Achtung Baby Zooropa Pop
    4 ATYCLB HTDAAB NLOTH
    5 Songs of Innocence Songs of Experience Songs of Ascent????

Definatly feels like they are doing a triology or sorts st the moment. Songs of Innocence was looking back at their younger selves in Dublin in late 70s. The current album seems to be letters to Bonos loved ones in the present. They have done recordings with Rick Rubin. They were never really finished and they were given the title the Songs of Ascent. Could they finish this and what are the chances of the next album been called the Songs of Ascent. The end of this triology. A kind of farewell album. U2 will then retire.

For where do they go next?. They are still a great live band. Better then any band half their age live. But I did think in the Joshua Tree tour like Springsteen last tour, both artist where showing their age a bit. If this is a triology. Where do they go next?. They could go and do more avant garde albums similar to Passengers. But again as they grow older their recording talents will diminish further. And they will surely start to release crap albums . And imagine the reviews they will get from some certain rock critics and their detractors then. They are on the verge of becoming the New Rolling Stones. Massive tours playing the greatest hits. They could do a 30th anniversary tour of Achtung Baby and a new version of Zoo TV. They could do that. But they did do a 20th anniversary of Achtung baby. They played it pretty much at Glastonbury. The Joshua Tree tour this year worked. With all the things going on the world, The Joshua Tree was again relevant. And it was an album that conquered the world. The tour idea worked. I don't know if Achtung Baby which is their best album would work as well.

So could they be thinking of breaking. This idea of U2 breaking up has been discussed since Rattle and Hum. In 1989 when Bono in the point talked about dreaming it up again many thought that this was the end. Also at the end of the Pop mart people where talking about them breaking up. Bono in the latest interviews looks very old. He looks haggard with the lines on his face. I think this health scare he had has left him rattled a bit. Could they be thinking of breaking up after the next album?. They could keep on going. Tour after tour breaking records. But as a recording band their output in the studio will inevitably diminish to where The Rolling Stones The Who are now. They release an album nobody cares it's piss poor.

If I was U2 , I would break up with the next album. Do a farewell tour. Finish up in the UK with a concert in Knebworth. And do a couple of final concerts here in Pairc Ui Chaoimh Nowlan Park Pearse Stadium Belfast Slane Castle and finish up in Croke Park. They would get a great reception . They could make a film of the whole tour with a proper director maybe like Scorcese or someone of his ilk. And do something what no other band has done their size. Break up with no rows, no member of the group leaving or dying Simply breaking up on their own terms. It would be a massive event.

And it would be good for their legacy. U2 have been big for too long. They have been the biggest band in the World for nearly 30 years. The next longest would be The Beatles and they were the biggest band in the world for only 7 years. U2 have been to big. Always there . They haven't had a time to go in qnd out of fashion. Every group goes through periods when they are in fashion and go out of fashion. I guarantee if U2 broke up after the next tour, ten years later there stature and place in rock history will grow. And U2 have always been obsessed about their place in music history. If they stay together they will become the new Rolling Stones. It would be hard to give it up. Record tours. But I wouldn't be surprised they're thinking of this. When you look at the latest albums and their themes, it could be hinting at this. The best way to increase your stature as a group or an artist is die young or break up.

• Advertisement

Anyway I just got my U2 CD. I'm going to spend the evening listening to the album. You cannot beat that feeling when you get a new album and listen to it for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Nights are so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There is a few photos about the U2 special on the BBC from the Daily Mail.

46FADD0800000578-0-image-a-17_1512436945963.jpg

46FADD1A00000578-5145941-image-a-28_1512439066257.jpg

46FADD3200000578-5145941-image-a-27_1512439060930.jpg

46FADD0100000578-5145941-image-a-26_1512439056827.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5145941/U2-recreate-iconic-Beatles-Abbey-Road-BBC-special.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Pop up gig in Milan next, what's the chances of getting a pop up gig at the luas opening on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Still waiting on my vinyl preorder from official site,thank god I bought deluxe CD last weekend. Hope it was worth it for the pre sale codes.

• Advertisement

A couple of listens to the album for the first time tonight. It's definatly a grower. It's definitely one of their best albums since 2000. The best part of the album is the mid section on eg Summer of Love Showman Red Flag Day The Little things Landlady and Blackout. The singles are the worst songs on the album. Bono voice sounds good. It does have that minimalist production sound that is in vogue at the moment. So not enough Edge. It's seems like almost a Bono solo album at times. The highlight r the bass on Blackout, its really heavy and great. Showman is irritating catchy. Red Flag Day sounds like 1983 War transported to 2017. And it works real well. The little things is the emotional centrepiece album and does collapse a bit at the end, but it is one those great ballads U2 do well. The negatives r Bono long winded song titles. Bonos naff lyrics at times. The singles and songs released before the album release are poor. Get out your own Way is a really rerun of Beautiful Day. And American Soul is just boring. Love is bigger is to much of a node to Coldplay. It's not masterpiece. It's no Joshua Tree. But it's a good album. It's a grower. And probaly as good as any album produced by a band their size and at their stage of a career. They still have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

I like Get Out Of Your Own Way tbh.

The melodic sound of the guitar and the feel of it gets me along with Edge's harmonies in the chorus.

American Soul... Cannot help but want to bounce and have a headbang during the verses tbh.

You say Bono solo album, I think it's an album where the rhythm section breathes. Adam and Larry sound absolutely brilliant on this

Anyways, it's good. It's not a reggae album produced in a small garage by Steve Lillywhite good (****ing still laughing at that) but, whatever.

"Sounds like Coldplay"
    No, it sounds like U2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They are still a great live band. Better then any band half their age live.

Behave

You say Bono solo album, I think it's an album where the rhythm section breathes. Adam and Larry sound absolutely brilliant on this

Agree. Adam and Larry sound really good. But both are always a bit underrated. Like Joyce and Rourke in the Smiths Adam and Larry get very little attention compared to the other two but are brillant in their own way. Could be Adams and Larry's best album since Pop overall.

The Nal wrote:
    Behave

Rock music is in a dire state. Where are the great bands great albums great songs compared to the past. And yes U2 are still great live band. Always have been. And yes they can still do the business live better then most bands half their age. Allot of great young musicians in music at the moment. But no characters no great songs compared to smells like teen spirit or classic albums like Nevermind. Arcade Fire are probaly best band around. But they wouldn't even be in the top 100 bands of all time.

Rock music is in a dire state. Where are the great bands great albums great songs compared to the past. And yes U2 are still great live band. Always have been. And yes they can still do the business live better then most bands half their age. Allot of great young musicians in music at the moment. But no characters no great songs compared to smells like teen spirit or classic albums like Nevermind. Arcade Fire are probaly best band around. But they wouldn't even be in the top 100 bands of all time.

Give it time.... :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Yes because Bono is a real character. Pull your head out of your arse.

Sonny you deal in such absolutes. Its fascinating, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Old man shakes fists at anything modern

I think you need to get some perspective

i think you are the one who needs some perspective. im quite happy with modern stuff, sure i use my ipod all the time dont i :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What does that even mean. It's like some people have these lists of 1 line put downs and just spend their time posting them on the net with these not so funny one liners. I don't mind if someone is actually funny. But like what does that even mean?. I won't go away I'm all alone. Honestly how do you come up with such brilliance.
    Joe. I wasn't having a go at you. Thanks for explaining the unfunny line. It more the one line brigade . Criticise away if you want. But these people who have a list of 1 liners ready to pounce on anyone if they slip up is like how could you be bothered. It's just never funny.

Wow Sonny, take a chill pill will ya. It was a joke. A funny one. Of course some people got it, you clearly didn't.

• Advertisement

Well yes Bono is. Post punk he is one of the best front men. U2 of course or un rock n Roll in the Sex drugs and rock n Roll ideal of rock n roll. But we had that done to death from Keith Moon to Motley Crue. U2 showed a different side to rock. And it has had influence. Look at Radiohead Muse Travis Keane Embrace Snow Patrol Coldplay. All the biggest bands in Britian since around 2000. All kind of un rock n Roll. None of them really Sex drugs and rock n Roll. Also musically influenced by U2. But overall Bono live post punk he as good as front man live as there has been.

But when I'm talking about character and great songs great albums. I'm not talking about U2. U2 best days are behind them. I'm talking about rock music in general. It's decline.

Seve OB wrote:
    Wow Sonny, take a chill pill will ya. It was a joke. A funny one. Of course some people got it, you clearly didn't.

Sorry Seve. Honestly never heard of Sonny’s Dream. Never heard of it. So I didn't know what people where talking about. I get it now. Sorry for the overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Arcade Fire are probaly best band around.

Behave.

Wooderson wrote:
    Sonny you deal in such absolutes. Its fascinating, really.

Its not really absolutes. It just saying the reality of the situation. Yes there are good musicians. Some interesting songs. Some decent albums. But where are all the great characters. But more importantly where are all the great bands. I'm talking about a Smiths or A Clash or The Jam or Sly and the Family Stone or ever Pulp or Pearl Jam would be nice. Look at the great cities in the UK. Where are the great bands from Manchester Liverpool and Glasgow. Even Dublin which has long tradition of rock music. Where are the great bands gone? Name all these great bands and great singles. And great albums. A Nevermind OK Computer Achtung Baby London Calling Hunky Dory Revolver. I don't see it.

I suspose rock music is over 50 years old and rock n roll over 60 years. It's had an good innings. Unless some great rock movement suddenly appears it's final chapter has been written. There has been a few signs of life since 2000 but they were false damns. The Strokes debut album is a classic. But like The Stone Roses they only had 1 great album in their locker. Artic Monkeys showed potential but it never has been truly realised. Radiohead have gone up their own backside since OK Computer. While The Libertines where music press darlings even though they hadn't recorded 1 great actually even 1 very good album . Or even 1 great song.
    Where are the Smiths REM or The Who. Or even an Jesus and The Mary Chain. Or even a Pulp or Manic Street Preachers. Rock music has had its day. Coldplay are pretty much all this wrong with rock music . Dull lyrics songs albums. Dull dull dull.

The Nal wrote:
    Behave.

That's what I mean Arcade Fire are a great band now. But in terms of overall I would say they wouldn't get in the top 100 bands of all time. Wrong. They wouldn't get in the top 200 bands of all time. Arcade Fire are just ripping of 80 music eg indie rock and Springsteen. Overall they are a good solid rock band in the overall scheme of things . Nothing more nothing less.

Its not really absolutes. It just saying the reality of the situation. Yes there are good musicians. Some interesting songs. Some decent albums. But where are all the great characters. But more importantly where are all the great bands. I'm talking about a Smiths or A Clash or The Jam or Sly and the Family Stone or ever Pulp or Pearl Jam would be nice. Look at the great cities in the UK. Where are the great bands from Manchester Liverpool and Glasgow. Even Dublin which has long tradition of rock music. Where are the great bands gone? Name all these great bands and great singles. And great albums. A Nevermind OK Computer Achtung Baby London Calling Hunky Dory Revolver. I don't see it.

I suspose rock music is over 50 years old and rock n roll over 60 years. It's had an good innings. Unless some great rock movement suddenly appears it's final chapter has been written. There has been a few signs of life since 2000 but they were false damns. The Strokes debut album is a classic. But like The Stone Roses they only had 1 great album in their locker. Artic Monkeys showed potential but it never has been truly realised. Radiohead have gone up their own backside since OK Computer. While The Libertines where music press darlings even though they hadn't recorded 1 great actually even 1 very good album . Or even 1 great song.
    Where are the Smiths REM or The Who. Or even an Jesus and The Mary Chain. Or even a Pulp or Manic Street Preachers. Rock music has had its day. Coldplay are pretty much all this wrong with rock music . Dull lyrics songs albums. Dull dull dull.

I like your thoughts, but youre coming across like the pub dckhead U2 fan rather than wry and knowledgeable music lover you might really be. Chill.

No really arsed where the discussion has gone but..

He didn't mention Bono in his post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

But more importantly where are all the great bands.

The Killers are for me the best band in the world .
    The new album isn't as good as previous ones ,but their output over the last 15 years has been phenomenal ,hardly a poor song released.
    I saw them in Dublin and Belfast last month and the Dublin gig was phenomenal and that was with only half the band .
    Even Brandon's suit reminded me of Mr McPhisto !

IMG_0811.jpg

The Killers are for me the best band in the world .
    The new album isn't as good as previous ones ,but their output over the last 15 years has been phenomenal ,hardly a poor song released.
    I saw them in Dublin and Belfast last month and the Dublin gig was phenomenal and that was with only half the band .
    Even Brandon's suit reminded me of Mr McPhisto !

IMG_0811.jpg

Not The Killers though is it?

Two of them left. Only the drummer and Brendan remain.

Like Rossi and Parfitt without Lancaster and Coghlan

Not that it takes away from the gig mind yuu. Glad you enjoyed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Despise the term supergroup. Makes music out to be a competition.

Advertisement